Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,762 members, 7,824,187 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:39 AM

Orji Kalu Arrested - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Orji Kalu Arrested (1533 Views)

Orji Kalu Offers To Replace Buhari In Dialogue With Boko Haram / Orji Kalu Loan Scheme For Nigerians In Congo More Pictures / Abia To Probe Orji Kalu's Tenure (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Orji Kalu Arrested by babasin(m): 5:06pm On Jul 11, 2007
Nigeria's anti-graft agency has arrested two former governors accused of corruption and money laundering.

[email]http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/6292578.stm[/email]

Now lets the re-newed action began

grin cheesy grin
Re: Orji Kalu Arrested by mohadana: 5:54pm On Jul 11, 2007
good job. grin grin
Re: Orji Kalu Arrested by Afam(m): 6:04pm On Jul 11, 2007
Na email you want make we send to the link abi na website address wey you want show?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/6292578.stm

Are they being arrested because they are corrupt or because they did not honor the invitation by the EFCC?

Meanwhile, does it now mean that the other governors are clean simply because they honored the invitation?
Re: Orji Kalu Arrested by IykeD1(m): 6:58pm On Jul 11, 2007
To answer your last question, it is possible that those who honored the invitations were on "bails" while finishing
touches are being made to their cases or while their responses are being cross checked for authenticity? If that
was the case, not honoring the invitation and thus not providing any new defense may have triggered the arrests
of Kalu and co.

I don't quiet know, but I hope the argument won't be shifted to whether the others were left off the hook simply
because they honored a mere EFCC invitation. Its one step at a time, and it may be premature to conclude as to
the fate of the other governors.
Re: Orji Kalu Arrested by MILITIA(f): 7:50pm On Jul 11, 2007
Afam:

Na email you want make we send to the link abi na website address wey you want show?

Are they being arrested because they are corrupt or because they did not honor the invitation by the EFCC?

Meanwhile, does it now mean that the other governors are clean simply because they honored the invitation?

Na wah oh! We have to petition the e-mail add to open the link I guess!
And they left out the other 35 governors? Yes oh! 35 governors including one called DUKE! tongue
Re: Orji Kalu Arrested by BUSHFELLOW(m): 8:52pm On Jul 11, 2007
Until you find it on channels or stv more reliable ait news then it is not true yet.
Re: Orji Kalu Arrested by BigB11(m): 9:10pm On Jul 11, 2007
This will definitely send a message to the rest.

Nothing against KALU; but I just don't think a businessman with multiple business ventures could be an effective governor.

Businessman + Governor position = Money Laundering
Re: Orji Kalu Arrested by monkeyleg: 9:54pm On Jul 11, 2007
If true, this whole thing is a joke. Are these the real crooks we have in Nigeria, or are they being selective again. Targeting those of least resistance. I smell a farmers hand in this.
Re: Orji Kalu Arrested by yarodin: 11:34pm On Jul 11, 2007
I am quite sure both Governors are not PDP. Kalu I know for a fact, but not sure about the other governor. The whole scheme is a big joke, watch they not even going to do anything to those two.
Re: Orji Kalu Arrested by lewa(m): 5:19am On Jul 12, 2007
Well lets see how it goes! More to go
Re: Orji Kalu Arrested by Mmelu: 8:03am On Jul 12, 2007
Sometimes the Kalu guy is unnecessarily truculent. He could have simply answered the EFCC invitiation, so that like others he can go home and enjoy his loot.
Re: Orji Kalu Arrested by angel101(f): 11:28am On Jul 12, 2007
Afam:

I wonder the same thing.
Re: Orji Kalu Arrested by denex: 11:29am On Jul 12, 2007
If anybody is being selective, it is these two ex-Governors. Everybody else went for the interrogation except them so who exactly is being selective by asserting dem.

My dear monkeyleg, Kalu and his friend selected themselves.
Re: Orji Kalu Arrested by McKren(m): 11:56am On Jul 12, 2007
We need to get it clearly how the EFCC or such organisations operate.

Their duty is to investigate cases of financial crimes and charge the accused to court if credible evidence is found against them. Their investigation is initiated by petition and in the cause of investigation it is necessary to hear the arguments from the accused person. Thus the accused is either invited or arrested depending on the nature of the offence and the individual's criminal records and whether he will honour the invitation or see that as a tip-off to elope.

The ex-governors were able to secure respect during investigations from President Yaradua on the grounds that they will not flee but co-operate with the EFCC.  After due questioning they were let go (if stories in the media were right, they surrendered their travel documents). So investigations are ongoing.

Orji Kalu and Saminu Turaki on the other hand refused to honour the invitations thus leaving EFCC no choice but to arrest them. Orji even went as far as securing a court order to prevent arrest, that is simply an attempt to re-write the constitution as our constitution only grants immunity to Presidents and Governors not "EX". Thus that court order simply does not stand because it is inconsistent with the laws of the land, besides that EFCC may have gotten another order nullifying that of Kalu from a higher court.

However note that, the fact that they are being arrested does not mean their case is being taken more seriously. They are only being forced to come forward for questioning since others have been questioned. Their future in this corruption investigation is still same as those of other Governors. These two governors may even go home before monday.
Re: Orji Kalu Arrested by denex: 12:27pm On Jul 12, 2007
I was about to state that too. The fact that they have been arrested does not necessarily mean they are guilty. It simply means they gave up the right to voluntarily appear for interrogation.

The fact that the other governors came voluntarily does not guarantee that they are innocent. They only chose to exercise their constitutional rights. The information they have provided is being crosschecked.
Re: Orji Kalu Arrested by desgiezd(m): 10:17am On Jul 13, 2007
Now the chicken has finally come home to roost
Re: Orji Kalu Arrested by Nobody: 6:50am On Jul 14, 2007
I THINK IF ANYONE SHOULD BE ARRESTED,THAT SHOULD BE ''AREMU DA BULLY'' grin,SORRY OBJ.I HEARED HE IS WORTH MORE THAN 180 BILLION NAIRA.DID HE MAKE THE MONEY BY SELLING CHICKENS,FISH,EGGS OR WHAT,OTA FARM BOASTS OF MULTI-BILLION NAIRA LIBRARY THAT YOU CAN NEVER FIND IN ANY PART OF OUR COUNTRY AND I HEARD ALSO THAT IT'S GOT 5 STAR HOTEL IN ITS PREMISES.WHERE DID HE GET THE FUCKING MONEY TO BUILD BELL UNIVERSITY.ANYWAYS HE NEVER DECLARED HIS ASSETS WHILE HE WAS PRSIDO OF NIGERIA,

SO I THINK IF ANYONE SHOULD BE ARRESTED AND CAGED,THAT SHOULD BE AREMU DA BULLY
Re: Orji Kalu Arrested by chidichris(m): 10:39am On Jul 14, 2007
is orji uzo the problem of nigeria, ribadu and obj/yar adaua?
what happened to all the contracts awarded on our roads during obj's regime? i want to believe orji took all the money?
what happened to the self confessed master rigger in the name of chris uba as we all know that in any case of rigging money must excahnge hands.
what happened to the money laundary case established in the usa against andy uba of which he was convicted over the matter?
what of the oyo hit man? how did the issues of rigging and inec machines found in his house ended as obj made it clear that adedibu was too old to be reformed?
what of obj's wealth? a genuine one per say?
what of bode george? still a saint? who is responsible for the fraud in the nigerian ports authority? orji Uzo Kalu?
annenih's 1 trillion contracts scam does not worth arrest?
during the presidential campiegn of pdp, odili had the option to drop his presidential ambition or face the efcc so he was wise.
who among the pdp loyalists is corrupt?
ptdf scam is sleeping by while atiku and obj are still our heros.
our righteous president has confessed to coming to power through the wrong means though has promised to make things right during his administration so since when does acceptance of guilty make people free?
does the constitution of nigeria gave room for freedom as a reward for admittion of guilt?
ribadu shld have known that the people are begining to come to terms with realities on ground.
every administration in nigeria has had their jokers, people that i call play makers as we have no 10 in football.
we have had, uchechukwu mereije during ibb, mustapha during abacha, ribadu for obj so ribadu shld go so yar adua will introduce his own play maker.
the pdp shld be thinking of what next to do instead of orji uzo this orji uzo that at the expense of the whole country.
the confussed yar adua is wasting our fucking time.
ribadu is over-staying his welcome. he shld retired honourable if there is still honour in his selective justice.
Re: Orji Kalu Arrested by McKren(m): 12:51pm On Jul 14, 2007
people should stop politicizing issues like this, if he led his state honestly he would have improved the lives of Abians and no one would have been chasing him arround.

It is as simple as that. He should go to jail if found guilty so that others will learn to do the right thing and thus not need to be friends with the Presidency to stay safe.

Chidicris

I thought you were smarter than that, a man will loot his people dry when called to account for his stewardship the same people he looted will come out shouting selective justice. Have you been to Abia recently? Look at your reason for firing Ribadu, so that the new administration will have what you call their own new joker.

Ribadu is going no where.
Re: Orji Kalu Arrested by angel101(f): 5:34pm On Jul 14, 2007
LOL!! I am convinced that Nigerians are the architects of their own misfortunes!
Look all I (and any other self respecting Nigerian) want(s) is justice. Selective or otherwise. I am yet to see an innocent politician indicted in this my dear country. So what is all this noise about?
However many or few of them is convicted should go directly to jail not pass Go and not collect the trillions! Good ridiance angry

(1) (Reply)

Blockbuster Atuegbu Is Dead! / Anenih Godson & Inlaw Ugbesia Denies Collecting N500m / Define Nigeria In Your Words.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.