Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,295 members, 7,846,331 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 02:18 PM

Fugar City Honours Victor Okhai With Grand Reception - Events - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Events / Fugar City Honours Victor Okhai With Grand Reception (254 Views)

Fugar City Honours Victor Okhai With Grand Reception / Endowed Lady Causes Stirs With Her Backside At A Wedding Reception. / Billionaire Wedding Reception In Dubai, See What They Served On Each Table. PICS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Fugar City Honours Victor Okhai With Grand Reception by PTVNEWS: 9:30am On May 08, 2021
By Perekeme Odon

The serene city of Abuja, the Federal Capital Territory came alive on Saturday as the Fugar Progressive Union hosted former Presidential candidate of the Providence Peoples Congress, and newly sworn-in Directors’ Guild of Nigeria’s President, Dr. Victor Okhai, to a grand reception.

The event which took place at the newly opened Paneio Luxury Hotel, Utako District, Abuja on April 24, 2021, saw filmmakers and businessmen from all walks of life converged on the seat of power in solidarity with the people of Edo state who rolled out the drums and red carpet to honour one of their own.

It is a widely held belief that Fugar, the capital city of Etsako Centra Local Government Area of Edo State, Nigeria knows how to honour a son that has done well. So the people of Fugar in Abuja, who are predominantly into business and academic activities, abandoned their trades and vocations to show appreciation to a man they felt has done well, not only to their community but Edo state and Nigeria.

Explaining the rationale for the celebration, the FPU Abuja Chairman, HRH Chief Jacob Okhaishie stated that it was the Fugar way of publicly saying thank you to a worthy ambassador who exhibited an unparalleled passion to improving the lots of his people. FPU organised the reception to honour and recognise the outstanding leadership capacity and contributions of an accomplished veteran filmmaker and broadcast journalist in the advancement and development of the Nigerian media industry and the world, in broad-spectrum, which demonstrated the love his people have for him.

“Our brother who has been elevated as the President of Directors’ Guild of Nigeria is a man we so much cherish and love in all broadness, hence we organize this grand occasion to give him a befitting honour, so as to open more doors for our teeming youths who will like to emulate him, and he acts as their mentor.” He stated.

The National Executive Council of Fugar Progressive Union, FPU ably represented by the National Secretary-General, Hon. Agabi David Omokhekhai saluted the DGN President who made his community proud when he contested the 2019 presidential election as a candidate of the Providence Peoples Congress. He revealed his exhilaration to celebrate with him his recent elevation as the DGN President and trusted the DGN members did a thorough background check on him as the best candidate.

“We are gathered here to celebrate and honour a distinguished Fugarian who has backpacked the world of his profession, and today elevated to the position as the President, Directors’ Guild of Nigeria. We as Fugarians are always delighted of our own, that’s why whenever any of us is advancing in his field, we are always happy to identify with such a person. We do that to encourage the upcoming youths to see the need to focus so as to give them a good feeling in their assessments.”

Hon. Agabi lauded the guild for electing him as he is a man to be trusted. He however used the occasion to remind the DGN President to always remember where he is coming from and contribute to areas of importance that would be useful to the community; and also use his good offices to always visit Fugar.

“As a community, we are here to celebrate and also remind him of creating lasting employment opportunities for Fugar youths in particular, and Nigeria in the movie industry to curb youth restiveness, since the DGN is a creative guild in the Nigerian entertainment industry. We have a lot of untapped talents out there, and in Fugar our youths are very talented.”

The highlight of the occasion was the presentation of a congratulatory message and letter to the DGN President by the National Executive Council of Fugar Progressive Union, FPU in recognition of his service to the community, Edo state, and Nigeria.

“Today you’re here with us, and not just because you merited it, but with special support by our ancestors. Do not forget quickly where you are coming from because we are on the ground to assist whoever wants to come and develop the community. Nevertheless, after thoughtful deliberations, the National Executive Council of Fugar Progressive Union, FPU presents to you a congratulatory message and a letter to let you know we are aware of what you are doing, and completely behind you. However, you need to buckle up and ensure you do the needful.” He said.

The Fugar Progressive Union, Abuja Branch also awarded him an ornamental plaque, granting him an automatic membership of the FPU Abuja Branch.

The National Secretary further hinted to the DGN President on the development of the Fugar historical sites with the main objective to preserve and propagate Fugar history and culture in order to help the present and future generation of Fugarians understand their heritage better.

The elated DGN President expressed appreciation done him, and revealed his disbelief when he heard about being honoured by his kinsmen, but never knew his community had been tracking his progress.

“I am humbled to receive these awards by my people. One thing I have learnt in life is that one can get all the accolades everywhere, but if one is not recognised at home, it’s a waste. It doesn’t matter how many laurels I have received. This means more to me than any other award that I’ve ever received because I never expected it. I will not take it for granted. I feel embarrassed that I’ve not done anything for the community, but I also feel challenged since there is a lot of works to be done.”

Dr. Okhai went on to describe the reception given him as a son of Fugar during his presidential campaign in 2019 that gave him the courage of conviction to face the ordeals ahead and did not let them down. He guaranteed them no malicious rumours and under performance as the DGN President.

“You will not hear anything that would put you to shame under my tenure, but things that you would be proud of.”

He furthermore enlightened them on the importance of the director as the creative head in the film and television business, which shapes society positively through the stories that they tell.

“Everything you see on the screen is the image of the director. We shape the perception people have about us by what we present out there. So there’s a great responsibility that lies on our shoulders.”

An overwhelmed Okhai, while reacting to the honour bestowed him, using the medium as a springboard of his childhood paucities to publicly state his endowments to help his people open a YouTube channel to teach Afenmai language and learn the culture and tradition of our people online.

“It’s a project I will undertake. I will shoot it so our children in the diaspora will not end up like me but start on a good foundation. Our stories have never been told and properly documented. I will be working very closely with the FPU to make sure we get the right information so that we can have something in our archives for future generations yet unborn.”

He additionally promised to produce a high-quality Afenmai language film by engaging the people and shooting it in their community in a way to exposing them. He advised his kinsmen never to discourage their children from engaging in entertainment crafts.

“If I have time, I would want to run a workshop also for people who have the interest to get into the movie industry. It is time to engage our youth meaningfully and productively.” He affirmed.

Nigerian superb visionary award-winning filmmaker and director, Amb Lancelot Oduwa Imasuen who had known President Okhai for over 27 years gave a concealed declaration on how they formed the Directors’ Guild of Nigeria 22 years ago. He described Okhai as unarguably one the most intelligent black men alive today; a brood and kind-hearted man so versed in practically every sphere of life who does not have a feeling of superiority over anyone.

“I want to celebrate Fugar on behalf of my brother, co-founder, and President. We are celebrating this man rather late, but it is better late than never. When I got into the industry 26 years ago, this man warmly embraced me when a lot of people were skeptical of a young wizkid from Benin. He was my consultant when I shot the movie, ‘Yesterday’ in 1997 that propelled me to the national limelight. Since then we have kept a very close relationship. So whenever your community calls you, appreciate it. Let us continue to pray and support him so that history would be made again. His tenure is just a month old, we are already seeing stars.”

The former Director of Protocol, Federal Capital Territory (FCT), quintessence philanthropist, and Grand Patron of FPU, Sir Peter Oshoma Aliu extolled the virtues of DGN President for his outstanding achievements and making the name of Fugar known.

“I want to thank you for the honour of making the name of Fugar known to the world. You should always remember where you come from because people from Fugar don’t believe in godfathers to get to the top, but hard work. I want to ask all of us that’s here to continue to make the name of Fugar great.”

The occasion was attended by an array of dignitaries across the country, and members of the Directors’ Guild of Nigeria among who were Engr. Abuking Edebe, Moses E. Moses, Chief Austin Aliu, Mr. Lawal Eghiebada, Mr. Otono Muhammad, Mr. Stanley S. Omoerah, DGN National Secretary, Uchenna Agbo, DGN National Provost, Daniel Chukwueze, DGN Abuja Chairman, Emma Eyaba, DGN Abuja Secretary, Mr. Tola Balogun, Engr. O’Emmanuel Momeh, Assist. Chief Whip (AESIA), Mr. Apel Papel, and Mr. Holy Steve Ogbuefi,

Others include Perekeme Odon, DGN PRO, Mr. Anslem Bello, PRO FPU Abuja, Mr. Emmanuel Asimhi, Fugar Youth President, Mr. Barthy Okhipo, Mr. Festus & Mrs. Mercy Momey, Mr. Oghuma O. Chilinus, and members of the press.

(1) (Reply)

Senate Approves Deployment Of 5G Network In Nigeria / Advanced Excel Dashboards Training / The Gospel Mix

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.