Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,235 members, 7,818,786 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:26 AM

Lessons Learned From My Dog - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Lessons Learned From My Dog (145 Views)

7 Statements Jesus Made While He Was Being Tortured And Lessons Learned / How I Learned How To Tackle Demons In Secondary School / DOES ATHEISM MAKE YOU FEEL MORE LEARNED THAN CHRISTIANITY? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Lessons Learned From My Dog by SonofIssachar: 1:02am On May 09, 2021
It’s graduation time and commencement speakers will soon share words of wisdom with new grads. Some lessons shared will be profound, and others quite simple.

What would I share, if invited? Things I learned in graduate school, principles proven in my consulting career, or tidbits picked up from my own mistakes? No, I think I’d share lessons I’ve learned from my dog.

Here are a few:

1. Play the hand you’re dealt. Some of us are born into the lap of luxury; others are not. Some of us come programmed for joy, and others less so. Some of us are nurtured magnificently, and others are nearly ignored. Rocky was given up before he was two. You might think he’d be sullen, unable to trust, or stuck with a bit of a chip on his canine shoulder. Not so. He’s a happy little guy who seems to demonstrate that it’s not what you’ve been given that counts-it’s who you become and what you do with what you’ve got!

2. Be Your Self. When we adopted Rocky, I almost forgot to ask his name. The clerk rolled her eyes and said, “It’s Rocky, but I’d change it to Pierre, if I were you.” We soon learned that this miniature black poodle was anything but a Pierre. He’s athletic, funny, social, and uninhibited. Possibly, he’s not even a purebred poodle. The name Rocky suits him well and he sports an all-over curly cut rather than a traditional poodle clipping. No matter what others think you should be like, it’s always best, to be your true self.

3. Master the basics. Eat, sleep, exercise, and connect with your pack. Rocky is never too busy to eat, too distracted to sleep, or too tired for a walk. Nor does he ever turn down an opportunity to connect. His wagging-tail greetings, sloppy kisses, and ability to land smack in the middle of the nearest lap are all-powerful statements of just how basic the need to connect really is. And yet, in today’s 24/7 world, it is often easy to forget that family and friends are actually nourishment and a major contributor to a sense of well-being.

4. Explore, explore, explore. Ever curious, and smart as a whip, Rocky always seems ready to explore new territory. He’ll happily learn a new “trick,” check out new critters, climb new hills, or try new toys. In life, the choice is yours: play it safe and embrace the status quo, or face the unknown and continue to grow. Rocky would say, “Stretch.”

5. Make each day great. Spontaneously, Rocky will tear through the house, barreling at a breakneck speed. Or, he might unexpectedly drop his rubber football at my feet, signalling it’s time for a game of fetch. When he comes in from a walk, he sits patiently, “asking” for his treat.

Do what you love, ask for what you want, and seize opportunities as they appear. Don’t wait for joy to come to you; instead, seek it out every day.

By Suzanne Zoglio

Meditation: Delight yourself also in the Lord, And He shall give you the desires of your heart. – Psalm 37:4

You will succeed because Jesus loves You!

Also read:

Rich or Poor?
Uses of the Scripture
How to be Free, Manifest and Succeed (1)

(1) (Reply)

Jesus Tempted At The Wilderness / Fr. Ejike Mbaka Killed This Woman's Two Brother / The Narrow Gate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.