Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,276 members, 7,811,811 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:13 PM

Landlord And Tenant Saga Please Advice - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Landlord And Tenant Saga Please Advice (371 Views)

My Landlord And His Dad Just Beat Up My Co-tenant / My Landlord And I / Enugu State Landlord And Tenant Law (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Landlord And Tenant Saga Please Advice by DeoGratias1(m): 7:30am On May 09, 2021
Please I need your advice and that of any other lawyer in the house about my sister's ordeal with her landlord.

My sister moved into a house she rented in 2019.
According to her, that evening the landlord started disturbing her on phone to sleep with him which she refused. After much persuasion from the man and she refused, the man turned against her and it has been a war for her.
Note that the man collected 10k from her as agreement fee but never gave her any agreement paper to sign till date.

Even though she went with her boyfriend the day she paid the house rent, all of a sudden since this year, the man insisted that the guy won't pass the night in her house any longer.

My sister runs a POS point which she started recently, but the landlord insisted she will not stay where she got a space close to the house. His reason is that he is not in good term with the family living opposite her shop. Now he is even sending people and threatening to destroy the shop of the woman who gave my sister the space to stay.

Note that his wife also take her fruit to thesame woman's shop and he doesn't have a problem with that.

Now on Monday this week, my sister's boyfriend visited her house (not to sleep over). Around 7pm the landlord came to knock on her door and asked her to tell the guy to go that it's late. According to her, she flared up and had exchange of words with the landlord. The next day, the man returned the 6 months rent she paid him barely 3 weeks ago in the presence of my dad who went to visit her and asked her verbally to vacate his house in 7days.

Her boyfriend also came to see my dad in her house to discuss his coming to my family for my sister's marriage introduction rite, but when he was leaving, the landlord started warning him never to come to the house again till my sister vacates.

Now my sister has gone to report the matter to the police and he was been invited to come yesterday but he didn't honour the invitation yet.

My sister simply wants him to serve her a proper quit notice and give her 3 months to vacate the house not the verbal one week notice. She is also asking that he should stop harassing her, her boyfriend or the woman she is staying in her shop.

Please do you think my sister has taken the right steps or is there any other thing she should do?
Was the man right in asking her boyfriend not to come to the house again? . I really need your input on this. Thanks.

Note that she reported this matter to the man who claimed to be the lawyer in charge of the house, he promised to get back to her but stopped taking her calls afterwards before she went to the police.

Cc femi4 , DaBogu , eagleeye2
Re: Landlord And Tenant Saga Please Advice by Anieke39(m): 7:32am On May 09, 2021
Fact the landlord is a pevert

1 Like

Re: Landlord And Tenant Saga Please Advice by Kriss216: 7:35am On May 09, 2021
I'll advice you visit your sister with about 4 or 5 evil-looking guys. Make sure the landlord sees you and your guys.

That's an indirect warning to him. He may be thinking your sister got nobody.
Re: Landlord And Tenant Saga Please Advice by Bornsinner7: 7:43am On May 09, 2021
See! wahala no good.. if your sister can vacate in that 7days she should just leave the house and enjoy her peace..

E get some trouble wey go come your way the best way to fight am na to avoid am..

1 Like

Re: Landlord And Tenant Saga Please Advice by captainking(m): 8:06am On May 09, 2021
DeoGratias1:
Please I need your advice and that of any other lawyer in the house about my sister's ordeal with her landlord.

According to her, that evening the landlord started disturbing her on phone to sleep with him which she refused. After much persuasion from the man and she refused, the man turned against her and it has been a war for her.
Note that the man collected 10k from her as agreement fee but never gave her any agreement paper to sign till date.

Even though she went with her boyfriend the day she paid the house rent, all of a sudden since this year, the man insisted that the guy won't pass the night in her house any longer.

My sister runs a POS point which she started recently, but the landlord insisted she will not stay where she got a space close to the house. His reason is that he is not in good term with the family living opposite her shop. Now he is even sending people and threatening to destroy the shop of the woman who gave my sister the space to stay.

Note that his wife also take her fruit to thesame woman's shop and he doesn't have a problem with that.

Now on Monday this week, my sister's boyfriend visited her house (not to sleep over). Around 7pm the landlord came to knock on her door and asked her to tell the guy to go that it's late. According to her, she flared up and had exchange of words with the landlord. The next day, the man returned the 6 months rent she paid him barely 3 weeks ago in the presence of my dad who went to visit her and asked her verbally to vacate his house in 7days.

Her boyfriend also came to see my dad in her house to discuss his coming to my family for my sister's marriage introduction rite, but when he was leaving, the landlord started warning him never to come to the house again till my sister vacates.

Now my sister has gone to report the matter to the police and he was been invited to come yesterday but he didn't honour the invitation yet.

My sister simply wants him to serve her a proper quit notice and give her 3 months to vacate the house not the verbal one week notice. She is also asking that he should stop harassing her, her boyfriend or the woman she is staying in her shop.

Please do you think my sister has taken the right steps or is there any other thing she should do?
Was the man right in asking her boyfriend not to come to the house again? . I really need your input on this. Thanks.

Note that she reported this matter to the man who claimed to be the lawyer in charge of the house, he promised to get back to her but stopped taking her calls afterwards before she went to the police.

Involve the army or navy or Air Force if you know anyone there..
Re: Landlord And Tenant Saga Please Advice by femi4: 9:40am On May 09, 2021
DeoGratias1:

Involve the police, let him write and sign an undertaking that he ll not harass your sister again and give her proper quit notice

1 Like

Re: Landlord And Tenant Saga Please Advice by eagleeye2: 4:48pm On May 09, 2021
Tell your sister to get a lawyer to officially write the lawyer and file a copy in the court and the nearest police station.
When will her present rent expire? Better to start looking for a new place.
DeoGratias1:

Re: Landlord And Tenant Saga Please Advice by DeoGratias1(m): 10:27pm On May 09, 2021
eagleeye2:
Tell your sister to get a lawyer to officially write the lawyer and file a copy in the court and the nearest police station.
When will her present rent expire? Better to start looking for a new place.
He returned the rent she paid him. So she currently has not rent running. She is also looking for a house but needs time to get one.
Re: Landlord And Tenant Saga Please Advice by fkj950ax(m): 3:29pm On May 10, 2021
DeoGratias1:

Your sister has made too many mistakes.

Paid for agreement and don't have one.
Rent paid was returned and she collected it
The police is not a mediation centre for tenancy issue
The "lawyer" can't help if she goes to police.
A landlord has no right to determine who passes the night in a property, except it is abused to a large scale (20 people in a house), then he goes to court. Not knock on the door.
A landlord relationship with a 3rd or 4th or 5th party is not the business of the tenant. If the landlord keeps malice with anyone, its not the tenant responsibility to keep malice with him.
If a threat is made on life and property, go to the police to file a complaint. (It's evidenced)

By accepting the refund, he is in his right to give ultimatum.

Why does she want 3 months notice? How is/was the rent paid? Monthly, yearly, half year...

She should just move out.

1 Like

Re: Landlord And Tenant Saga Please Advice by DeoGratias1(m): 6:25pm On May 10, 2021
fkj950ax:

Your sister has made too many mistakes.

Paid for agreement and don't have one.
Rent paid was returned and she collected it
The police is not a mediation centre for tenancy issue
The "lawyer" can't help if she goes to police.
A landlord has no right to determine who passes the night in a property, except it is abused to a large scale (20 people in a house), then he goes to court. Not knock on the door.
A landlord relationship with a 3rd or 4th or 5th party is not the business of the tenant. If the landlord keeps malice with anyone, its not the tenant responsibility to keep malice with him.
If a threat is made on life and property, go to the police to file a complaint. (It's evidenced)

By accepting the refund, he is in his right to give ultimatum.

Why does she want 3 months notice? How is/was the rent paid? Monthly, yearly, half year...

She should just move out.
Half year is the least payment she has ever paid which was what he returned.

I appreciate your input.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Newly Built Block Of 6 Flats For Sale In Awka, Anambra State. {SOLD} / Survey Plan / Semi-detached 3 Bedroom Bungalow To Let!!! (isheri-olofin)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.