Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,956 members, 7,828,377 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 08:55 AM

Google Plans Wireless Internet Network To Cover Abuja - Computers (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Google Plans Wireless Internet Network To Cover Abuja (4968 Views)

Reltel Wireless Internet Service / MTN Wireless Internet For Laptops? / How To Get Wireless Internet Access On A Laptop? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Google Plans Wireless Internet Network To Cover Abuja by kenniy(m): 4:04pm On Feb 11, 2006
bravo!! 1daful topic n contributions!!!
but do u thing google could really collabo wt the us govt on this. mean there's presently a feud goin on bout releasin record to d govt ,which microsoft n yahoo had ealier releasd,bt google plainly refused.

i'd beig a fan of google for a while but of cos i'd being n nigerian longer n woldnt comprise dt for some brilliance on google's part,i just wanna b sure these really could b some kinda conspiracy..
Re: Google Plans Wireless Internet Network To Cover Abuja by kenniy(m): 4:15pm On Feb 11, 2006
its nt exactly free service google is doin ... i mean on the basis that they aint spyin.. its simply expandin there customer base thro 'free' internet links.. since that where there business is.

come to think of it, till date america still has d soul right of monitorin d internet and assignin public ip.s ...do u think dat isnt enough priviledge to Bleep wit us all.

its nt as if google is offerin a database for us all to use ..thats d way i see it. its only when u use google search,gmail,gtalk...etc and when all nigerians r cajoled to usin it that we can talk on some big conspiracy here..

..but of cos i might b wrong!
Re: Google Plans Wireless Internet Network To Cover Abuja by bagoma(f): 9:13pm On Feb 11, 2006
hmmn! this is quite interesting. every post here have been more than worth my while. plenty of food for thought. i have learnt qiute a lot, well done my people.
Re: Google Plans Wireless Internet Network To Cover Abuja by presidio: 9:49pm On Feb 11, 2006
Hi Guys, let's not get the NETICASH response out of context. It is mean't bring us into perspective of how the world works. To date our inability to actually understand this ("how the world really works"wink is the main reason why we do not support one another in everything we do.

Let's look at patriotism, I don't think there's any other country in the world that is as patriotic as the US, and this is actually what makes them a Great country today. Their Government will actually do anything and everything to support it's people and protect it's country especially on the business side of things.

Now, the fact that Google might (not confirmed yet) or might not want to set up a Wi-Fi network in Abuja may not have any connections with the US govt doesn't mean that when the time comes and they need to build statistics of some sort on a particular subject pertaining to Nigeria that they wouldn't do it.

Why do we think they are currently trying to access Googles information in the US. I can tell you that it's not mainly for Home Security reasons. Every body accross the world uses google, every search that is ever carried out on googles servers are recorded against the Iinternet Protocol (IP) Address of the computer that is used to carry out the search. So in a nut shell (1) they can use their preemptive policies to track down future potential trouble makers, (2) they can also, if they become to much of a threat, track down all the 419ers in a flash. Just by tracking the IP address.

Google also recently went into China despite the fact that the Chinese governments policies goes against the Google Policy of "do no evil". But for business reasons they changed tact and launched google china, with the Chinese govt acting as censor.
So the possibilities are endless. They can build as many user profiles as they want, they do whatever analysis they want at the flick of a a few database queries.

So... why do you think the chinese government is acting a s censor to google, not just because they operate a totalitarian regime but also to protect their peoples interest. Today China is the worlds largest economy and the US is actually worried about that, and they want a part of the action, but because China does not operate a democracy it has not been easy for the US to penetrate the market, with their products and services

This is no conspiracy. It is fact. Why? because globalization has moved from the boardroom to the Internet space, and this is why If Nigeria and other developing countries do not get their acts together pretty soon, (instead of sitting on Amala and gbere for Lunch), we'll be left behind and the richer countries will continue to get richer and Nigeria..... well,  need I say more.

Presidio

what will your generation do for Nigeria?
Join the debate www.nigerianpresident.com
Re: Google Plans Wireless Internet Network To Cover Abuja by Seun(m): 12:49am On Feb 13, 2006
There are two things you guys should know:
- Google is different from the US government. It is just a young American company with so much money that they are eager to waste some of it.
- In this case, it was the Nigerian government that convinced them to choose Abuja and not a different town.
Re: Google Plans Wireless Internet Network To Cover Abuja by presidio: 1:44am On Feb 13, 2006
Seun et al,

Point of correction!!!!!!!!! Google is the US govt, WHY? because, if Google makes 1billion dollars (for example) from the Nigerian deal, the US govt makes up to 50% of that in corporation tax. So they can pay their citizens healthcare bills, pension schemes, build new tourist attractions, so "you" can come and spend your money on holiday, they will also  give business incentives to local businesses so they can prosper, so these are some of the reasons why I say Nigeria has a long way to go. WHY? because our leaders and citizens are clueless about how to strategically position our thoughts and actions.

To make matters worse Nigerians are currently spending most of their time critisizing everything, without recommending any viable alternative long lasting solutions. Why aren't Nigerians in their respective fields of expertise writing white papers on how things can be improved, instead we critisize everything we see or read. Look around you we all do it, go to forum a, b, or c, on the net or read the newspapers it's the same thing. There's no selflessness, it's like if we must do something, we must get paid for it. We are all guilty. I could go on but its pointless, the fact that every American is ready to die for their country, is what got them to where they are today. But Nigerians, no way O. who wan die.

Well, whatever the case may be, in the interest of Nigeria, they should put together a crack Team of Nigerian Telecomms and IT professionals who currently work in various fields across the Globe (incl you seun). They will design, source and implement the Network in no time, I can guarantee you that. We have competent Nigerians and Nigerian companies that can put the Network together in a flash. There are guys (without mentioning names) who are currently heading some of the Nations Telcos and are doing very well at it, there are also guys born and bred in Nigeria who run a very prominent Networking outfit in the country who are very very very very very capable. So,

Why do we need google to do the Job. You do not seem to realise the financial implications to you and the country. The more foreign goods you use and buy the less money there is for you and everyone else in the country to spend and that is why the naira keeps jumping up and down like a sick chicken all the time.

If the US govt wakes up one morning and says they want to give a nigerian firm "Alagbada Plc" a contract in washington to build the same sort of Network. Aaaaaaaaaahhhhhh, you will see a United Front uproar the next morning on the streets of Washington totally against. WHY? because the money is leaving the country. American's (by the way, I love the Americans, and what they stand for, I just wish we could learn and adopt that same camaraderie that they share as a country) don't like it when their is capital flight, it is not good for the well being of the economy. That is why they always produce and we buy.

And until we Nigerians become "Patriotic like that" we aint never going to learn or move forward, and BOY  do I know what I'm talking about. What I write here, you will never read anywhere, but when you study lot's of financial journals and economic fundamentls and study how the Federal Reserve banks interest rate decisions equates to the performance of the housing sector and how the number of new houses bought in the US on a monthly basis affects the stability of the dollar and the how stability of the dollar impacts on inflation in the American economy, then you'll understand why we as  country have a ver ver long way to go. (some of these reasons is why Okonjo Iweala is doing a fanatstic Job for Nigeria's economy, but not many can see it, Go to the World banks site she has a Thesis there, read it, It's about the Asian Financial crisis/Metldown that happened a few years ago)

So if u want more financial and technical analysis of what we should be doing to solve our problems, ask the question and I'll give you answers any day anytime

Presidio

"never ask what your country can do for you"
Re: Google Plans Wireless Internet Network To Cover Abuja by bagoma(f): 9:12pm On Feb 14, 2006
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
your village indeed! how many people are still there? cheesy wink
Re: Google Plans Wireless Internet Network To Cover Abuja by presidio: 8:38pm On Feb 16, 2006
Only an few days ago we were discussing Google along these lines

Source CNN.com:
Yahoo, Google, Microsoft and Cisco, facing attack in Congress, say they're doing more good than harm in China.
Tech execs get grilled over China business

Presidio

Re: Google Plans Wireless Internet Network To Cover Abuja by allonym: 11:12am On Feb 17, 2006
So far, I have not seen evidence from google ITSELF that it is actually doing this.

So, I think its a farce.
Re: Google Plans Wireless Internet Network To Cover Abuja by Mazi(m): 11:44am On Feb 17, 2006
I think some of you are under estimating the Nigerian government's ability to analyse offers and freebies.

There is already a WIFi network in Abuja, which the government is not using for security messages and communication.

The Google offer is just another network, for which after the threads I have read so far, many will not want to subscribe to it. Its your choice.

If you want your internet traffic to be monitored by some guys out there, then you can subscribe otherwise stay away from it.

There are tens of ISPs in Abuja and Nigeria which are being run by competent and adequately funded private companies. Please patronise them. Avoid freebies! smiley

Re: Google Plans Wireless Internet Network To Cover Abuja by presidio: 7:28am On Feb 20, 2006
Just another correlation: Source Guardian 19/02/2006 http://odili.net/news/source/2006/feb/19/20.html

Author Reuben Abati

"I am opposed to the idea of the national carrier being handed over to a foreign company. I understand that NITEL has facilities that are directly linked to national security; you can't hand over that to a foreign company. I may be wrong, but I would rather have NITEL in the hands of a local company with proven competence, and whose patriotism can be counted upon."

Presidio

Re: Google Plans Wireless Internet Network To Cover Abuja by kenniy(m): 11:22pm On Feb 21, 2006
, Reuben Abati, I really like that man,
Re: Google Plans Wireless Internet Network To Cover Abuja by allonym: 8:48am On Feb 22, 2006
still no news from google itself that it is actually involved in this. . or anything of a similar nature.
Re: Google Plans Wireless Internet Network To Cover Abuja by mbabba(m): 2:46pm On Jul 24, 2006
How can?Come on!!!this is not true, I did a course in silicon valley, couple of years back and i know wht investment really meant to lerders in IT means!!How to return every DIME invested!!!and why they cant even think about 3rd world countries and most expecially Mighty Nigeria.Ha ha Google re too busy trying to get an edge in a vary competetive enviroment today, I WISH
Re: Google Plans Wireless Internet Network To Cover Abuja by lukkie(m): 11:02pm On Jul 24, 2006
@Neticash
@Presidio
thank goodness i found people who reason the way i do.
i believe we africans 're making the exact mistakes our forefathers made hundreds of years ago which the white man capitalised on. the white man comes, gives u some shining thingy in exchange for your freedom, and u're enslaved to them for life. the google thing is no freebie and we should advice the nigerian govt against it. there are more than enough brains in this country and outside who 'll connect not only abuja, but everywhere else we want in the country just fine, given the right environment to work.

and who says the google boys are some innocent businessmen? everything they do is in close cooperation with the US govt. that part well hidden from the rest of us of course. google will give the CIA any info they want anytime without blinking an eye. they got no choice, that's how it works. they'll easily profile everyone of us and pick u if u're considered a security threat. start googling too much about communism, north korea or CIA and your @$$ is toast. not to talk of the economic benefits. infact this is more of a security thing than economic. how many nigerians shop online with credit cards? we all know how google makes its money.

check out this link http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4655196.stm

u'll discover the americans have regretted giving out too much freedom to the rest of us through the internet and are constantly looking for ways of reining us. they believe their economic and political sovereignty is coming under threat from especially the more populous nations of the world - china, india, brazil (and to a much lesser degree nigeria.)
they'll find other ways if we don't use the google thing, but lets have their work cut out for them. nigeria is a sovereign state too.
A WORD IS ENOUGH FOR THE WISE!
Re: Google Plans Wireless Internet Network To Cover Abuja by hayprof(m): 9:12pm On Jul 25, 2006
Men! I've been over educated here ooo! tanx geez, We need things like dis on the forum.
Re: Google Plans Wireless Internet Network To Cover Abuja by scribe(m): 3:25pm On Oct 07, 2006
@all
Thanks for all the contributions. I have received some valuable education.

Surely there is no FREE LUNCH (I no won be like Esau in the bible) grin grin grin
Re: Google Plans Wireless Internet Network To Cover Abuja by presidio: 8:34pm On Jun 21, 2007
Food for thought, reopening the GOOGLE Debate Visit:http://www.channel4.com/player/v2/player.jsp?showId=7195
Re: Google Plans Wireless Internet Network To Cover Abuja by Ralvy(m): 3:34pm On Jul 16, 2007
Good if True, wink
Re: Google Plans Wireless Internet Network To Cover Abuja by Ezenwenyi(m): 2:23pm On Apr 28, 2009
People currently residing in Enugu State are enjoying free wireless network already.Thanks to Sullivan,on the aspect of google colaborating with US government to spy on Nigeria;for me it is a welcome development unless you have something to hide,i think it will be a better way of combating the yahoo boys in Nigeria.
Re: Google Plans Wireless Internet Network To Cover Abuja by neticash(m): 11:34pm On May 27, 2012
neticash: It's always amazing how we Nigerian's get so carried away when we hear such news. Why do you think Google is interested in Abuja?or Why do you think US govt wants access to  all googles search records.  Well, just know that Google would be able to build user patterns down to your President, that is if your/our president users a computer. They'll be able to trace and log every bit of info coming out of Nigeria, and develop powerful user analysis of Nigerians, they'll always know who you're buying from, who your not buying from, who Nigerians are defrauding, who is carrying out what search, (e.g are they searching for guns, drugs, etc and what IP address is doing the searching) and don't be suprised that they'll even know what the govt intends to buy before the govt even makes it public.

Let's always look at the bigger picture, not only the financial benefits, does any one know what the rope-a-dope is? Well, that was Muhammad Ali's style of fighting, he will always show you the left hand, but that's not the one's he really going to knock you out with. It's the right hand.

So basically what I'm trying to say is that, LOOK AT THE BIGGER PICTURE.

We should not allow Google to do this. Instead, the Nigerian govt should empower young entrepreneurs (Like seun, et al) with the financial backing of the banks to embark on such projects. What does it really take to take a city wireless. I've designed Global VPN's for major multinationals in the UK, so I should know, not much at all

A country must never contract out  their technology infrastructure to foreigners in the name of charity. Otherwise, be rest assured, at the flick of a switch they'll be listening to your presidents' telephone conversation.

Have you ever wondered why the Foreign Press heard of Nigerian coups well before we Nigerians did? FOOD FOR THOUGHT hey

Fast Forward 2012

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/google-knew-camera-car-software-could-capture-online-data-7792533.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2150606/Google-deliberately-stole-information-executives-covered-years.html

I told you so.
Re: Google Plans Wireless Internet Network To Cover Abuja by neticash(m): 1:50pm On Jun 07, 2013
Fast forward to 2013. http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/06/us-tech-giants-nsa-data.

Another I told you so moment.

Welcome to "1984" - George Orwell

NETICASH

(1) (2) (Reply)

Fun With Run Commands On Windows / I Need A Mini Laptop / USA USED/ NEW LAPTOPS [THREAD UPDATED]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.