Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,713 members, 7,816,934 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:31 PM

How To Choose The Perfect Steak. - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / How To Choose The Perfect Steak. (1791 Views)

How To Make Steak And Kidney Pie / Ham, Sausages Cause Cancer, Steak Also Suspect, Says Long-awaited UN Report / Steak Lovers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Choose The Perfect Steak. by pleep(m): 2:46am On Apr 27, 2011
i always wondered what made some steaks better than others, and some steaks just plain bad.

#  My #1 tip is get to introduce yourself to your local butcher and become friends.
# Buy the best grade of meat you can afford, Prime, Choice, Select in that order.
# When possible, buy from the butchers counter not the pre-packaged section.
# Look for steaks with fine texture and firm to the touch.
# You want the color to be a light cherry red color, not deep red. And by all means stay away from gray meat.
# Look for a steak that has marbling. It is the thin threads of fat running through the meat that makes it Prime and gives it that incredible flavor.
# Dry aging is considered better than wet aging but that may be a matter of taste. However, avoid meat that has no aging and is too fresh.
# If you do buy packaged meat, stay away from any with excessive moisture, tears or that are past their sell by date.
# Just because the label says Angus, doesn't mean it is Certified Black Angus (CBA)
Re: How To Choose The Perfect Steak. by tpia5: 2:51am On Apr 27, 2011
are you alright?
Re: How To Choose The Perfect Steak. by pleep(m): 2:58am On Apr 27, 2011
^^^ its the food section. right?
Re: How To Choose The Perfect Steak. by tpia5: 3:00am On Apr 27, 2011
what's the meaning of this thread:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-654849.0.html

which you opened at the same time as this topic?

you couldnt just stick with your steak one?
Re: How To Choose The Perfect Steak. by pleep(m): 3:03am On Apr 27, 2011
Well tpia, I'm sorry if I upset you.
Re: How To Choose The Perfect Steak. by tpia5: 3:07am On Apr 27, 2011
no, you didnt upset me.

you just showed common sense is uncommon, that's all.
Re: How To Choose The Perfect Steak. by pleep(m): 3:09am On Apr 27, 2011
Haha funny! well atleast I have the self esteem to not to start fights on threads about goatmeat.
Re: How To Choose The Perfect Steak. by tpia5: 3:10am On Apr 27, 2011
hmm, well at least i have the common sense to not start what i cant finish?

as per self esteem- i guess you know it [self esteem] doesnt apply to you hence you quickly bandied it about.
Re: How To Choose The Perfect Steak. by pleep(m): 3:14am On Apr 27, 2011
Alrighty tpia.

So who wants to talk about steaks!!
Re: How To Choose The Perfect Steak. by tessybaby(f): 4:34pm On May 04, 2011
ME

I need a steak recipe plz
Re: How To Choose The Perfect Steak. by tpia5: 9:20pm On May 06, 2011
Look for a steak that has marbling. It is the thin threads of fat running through the meat that makes it Prime and gives it that incredible flavor

true.

in nigeria, the cow hump would be the equivalent cos it's considered a very tasty part of the meat.

i know that doesnt sound very fancy but carry on abi you don vex.
Re: How To Choose The Perfect Steak. by pleep(m): 5:44pm On Jun 01, 2011
tessybaby:

ME

I need a steak recipe plz
Sorry for taking so long to reply lol. . .

But anyway, that depends on what type your cooking. I would recommend fillet of sirloin, or T-bone/porterhouse. But avoid eye of round, its cheap for a reason tongue

Alright so, if i was cooking fillet of sirloin, about an 1.5 inches thick, i like to cover one side with flavored meat tenderizer and let it sit for about 15 mins. - this is after it has been defrosted to room temp. (leave it outside in the sun for like 2 hrs.)

Then you get a cup of hot salt water and a syringe. Fill the syringe with the salt water and inject it evenly into the meat. This works excellently with thicker pieces of steak.

Then i like to cover both sides with salt and pepper- Be generous because alot comes off during cooking.
If your feeling adventurous also add parsly and garlic with the salt/pepper generously on the side you didn't put the meat tenderizer and let it sit for a while.

Fillet of sirloin is best cooked on a skillet IMO. Heat the pan to medium heat and wait till it gets hot. For a 1.5 inch steak (which is unusually thick) 2.5 minutes on each side is medium rare. For a 1 inch steak i would suggest maybe 2 mins, try to turn only once. (remember this must be from room temp)

And that should be good. . . . grin wow I'm hungry now.
Re: How To Choose The Perfect Steak. by pleep(m): 5:48pm On Jun 01, 2011
tpia@:

true.

in nigeria, the cow hump would be the equivalent cos it's considered a very tasty part of the meat.

i know that doesnt sound very fancy but carry on abi you don vex.
cow hump? haha wow, i gotta try that.

also need to try camel hump. . .
Re: How To Choose The Perfect Steak. by lucabrasi(m): 8:41pm On Jun 01, 2011
im a huge fan of steak,but im ashamed i didnt know this much about it i just grab what takes my fancy on the pre packaged shelf and out of the supermarkt i ill make sure i use this tips this weekend when i ll try it out dont know about using a syringe on food going into my mouth though
Re: How To Choose The Perfect Steak. by pleep(m): 9:12pm On Jun 03, 2011
^^^ haha yea, using a medical syringe on food feels really weird. But they do make food sryinges, the needle is a little bit bigger and it feels more normal. But if you have the time you could prolly just let the seasoning sit on the meat for several hours til it soaks in.
Re: How To Choose The Perfect Steak. by lucabrasi(m): 12:26pm On Jun 04, 2011
OH OK SEEN HAD NO IDEA im giving your steak recipe a try this weekend will get back to you on the result lol
Re: How To Choose The Perfect Steak. by pleep(m): 3:25am On Jun 17, 2011
undecided uh oh you never replied, did it turn out alright? I hope you didn't try that recipe on any steak that isn't strickly 'fillet of sirloin' because  it would probably end up raw haha.
Re: How To Choose The Perfect Steak. by lucabrasi(m): 2:06pm On Jul 16, 2011
^^^i have actually tried it out and i chose one of the most expensive meats on the top shelf,seasoned it for 2days and ot came out really nice although it wasnt well done for some reason even though i left it on for like 7mins either side.
it came out slightly pink on the insides especially in the thick middle bit but well done on the thinner sides

saw a potatoe recipe on the side of the bag of potatoes which i tried out highly fattening but nice

it said to boil and drain the potatoes,then slice into chunks
then heat 2 spoons of butter then fry the sliced potatoes
Re: How To Choose The Perfect Steak. by xxcarolxx(f): 12:15am On Jul 19, 2011
All this talk of steak is making me hungry, Would love a steak sandwich right now, Guess may make 1 tomorrow,
Re: How To Choose The Perfect Steak. by pleep(m): 1:41am On Jul 19, 2011
^ mmmmm, smiley
Re: How To Choose The Perfect Steak. by bayosgirl(f): 3:57am On Jul 19, 2011
Look for a steak that has marbling. It is the thin threads of fat running through the meat that makes it Prime and gives it that incredible flavor.

Marbling indicates the cow has been finished on grain. The healthiest meat is produced by grass finishing. Believe it or not, you can make grass-finished steak taste really good by marinating it for a short time and not overcooking it. I actually much prefer grass finishing to grain not just for the better nutrition but the cleaner, sweeter taste.
Re: How To Choose The Perfect Steak. by Kandiiikane(m): 7:51pm On Mar 14, 2013
pleep:
i always wondered what made some steaks better than others, and some steaks just plain bad.

#  My #1 tip is get to introduce yourself to your local butcher and become friends.
# Buy the best grade of meat you can afford, Prime, Choice, Select in that order.
# When possible, buy from the butchers counter not the pre-packaged section.
# Look for steaks with fine texture and firm to the touch.
# You want the color to be a light cherry red color, not deep red. And by all means stay away from gray meat.
# Look for a steak that has marbling. It is the thin threads of fat running through the meat that makes it Prime and gives it that incredible flavor.
# Dry aging is considered better than wet aging but that may be a matter of taste. However, avoid meat that has no aging and is too fresh.
# If you do buy packaged meat, stay away from any with excessive moisture, tears or that are past their sell by date.
# Just because the label says Angus, doesn't mean it is Certified Black Angus (CBA)

Powertrip, why not reveal yourself and save me the hassle? It feels like child's play. Jallow is that you? Abeg, I have a bed calling me.
Re: How To Choose The Perfect Steak. by pleep(m): 11:09pm On Jun 06, 2013
^ waddafuq?

Lol @ thread, i was so nice, and naive back then.... Nowadays i just throw the steak on raw fire and season it with the blood of dead babies
Re: How To Choose The Perfect Steak. by labi1977(m): 7:57pm On May 13, 2023
pleep:
^ waddafuq?

Lol @ thread, i was so nice, and naive back then.... Nowadays i just throw the steak on raw fire and season it with the blood of dead babies

Stupid

(1) (Reply)

Zuri Kitchen At Computer Village. / Jollof Rice Life / Do you buy or Sell Food Chemicals? Come in lets relate.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.