Stats: 3,152,449 members, 7,816,042 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:36 AM

Can You Plant Yam In Ridges? - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Can You Plant Yam In Ridges? (631 Views)

Amazing Output From My Yam-in-sack Farming (pictures) / Lets Plant Yam / Nigeria Is World’s Largest Producer Of Yam In FAO Ranking ― FG (2) (3) (4)

Can You Plant Yam In Ridges? by JuanDeDios: 8:26am On May 13, 2021
So we've made ridges before deciding to plant water yams. But I've been told that yams can't be planted in ridges, that it must be 'heaps". Is this true?
Re: Can You Plant Yam In Ridges? by Emempaul(m): 11:42am On May 13, 2021
Yes you can. I ave even seen a farmer who just digs a wide hole and plants his yam
Re: Can You Plant Yam In Ridges? by Nobody: 12:41pm On May 13, 2021
Son and grandson of farmers here.

Yams can be planted in both ridges and mounds/heaps. Now, that I can tell you for sure. Ignore those guys.

In my hometown, the people prefer mounds/heaps. They'll tell you it's better since it allows for better planning as far as spacing is concerned.

Personally, I prefer mounds.

Re: Can You Plant Yam In Ridges? by JuanDeDios: 7:57pm On May 13, 2021
Emempaul:
Yes you can. I ave even seen a farmer who just digs a wide hole and plants his yam
Thank you.
Re: Can You Plant Yam In Ridges? by JuanDeDios: 7:58pm On May 13, 2021
mansakhalifa:
Son and grandson of farmers here.

Yams can be planted in both ridges and mounds/heaps. Now, that I can tell you for sure. Ignore those guys.

In my hometown, the people prefer mounds/heaps. They'll tell you it's better since it allows for better planning as far as spacing is concerned.

Personally, I prefer mounds.
Thank you. But doesn't the fact that ridges ensures less weeding wahala confer an advantage over heaps in your book?

Cassava Buyers' Contacts / Kalahari Hybrid Goat And Boar Goat / Good Configuration Of Corn Flour Milling Machine Brings Better Benefits

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7