Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,792 members, 7,817,284 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:29 AM

Irish European AMA - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Irish European AMA (489 Views)

Teelings Irish Whiskey / Beautiful Okuru Ama, Kirike Kingdom (head Clan Of Okrika Ijaw Nation) / If Your Mother Is Indian And Your Father Is Jamaican, Grand Dad Is Irish- White, (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Irish European AMA by Thannny(m): 4:25am On May 14, 2021
Hello Nairaland!

My name is Than and I am from Ireland. I don't know if you get many westerners here, however I am very interested in Nigerian culture and history. I had a friend in college who introduced me to the music of Fela Kuti, and I have become obsessed with Nigeria.

I am a student of film and one of my works is in globalisation, so I have studied Nollywood's impact on Africa as a whole. Some even watch up to FIVE films a day!!! I am very excited to talk to Nigerians, be they Igbo, Yoruba or other tribes I have not yet been aware of! Though I write here to learn, I also write here to provide any questions you may want to ask me, be it about Ireland, Europe, film or my perspectives as an outsider on Nigeria!

My favourite Nollywood director is Lancelot Imasuen, his eccentric behaviour and his passion are inspiring! My favourite Nollywood actor is Osita Iheme!

Ask me anything you would like! smiley
Re: Irish European AMA by meobizy(f): 6:55am On May 14, 2021
Lol.
Re: Irish European AMA by Idaytesj29(m): 7:07am On May 14, 2021
Thannny:
Hello Nairaland!

My name is Than and I am from Ireland. I don't know if you get many westerners here, however I am very interested in Nigerian culture and history. I had a friend in college who introduced me to the music of Fela Kuti, and I have become obsessed with Nigeria.

I am a student of film and one of my works is in globalisation, so I have studied Nollywood's impact on Africa as a whole. Some even watch up to FIVE films a day!!! I am very excited to talk to Nigerians, be they Igbo, Yoruba or other tribes I have not yet been aware of! Though I write here to learn, I also write here to provide any questions you may want to ask me, be it about Ireland, Europe, film or my perspectives as an outsider on Nigeria!

My favourite Nollywood director is Lancelot Imasuen, his eccentric behaviour and his passion are inspiring! My favourite Nollywood actor is Osita Iheme!

Ask me anything you would like! smiley
Have you heard of Mr IBU and Okele? These are comic characters.
Re: Irish European AMA by Thannny(m): 11:13am On May 14, 2021
Idaytesj29:

Have you heard of Mr IBU and Okele? These are comic characters.

Unfortunately not by name, I believe I have seen Mr Ibu in films with Osita Iheme. I don't think I have seen Okele though. Mr Ibu reminds me a lot of Hitoshi Matsumoto, (see pic attached). Any funny films you reccomend with them?

Re: Irish European AMA by Idaytesj29(m): 4:37pm On May 14, 2021
Thannny:

Unfortunately not by name, I believe I have seen Mr Ibu in films with Osita Iheme. I don't think I have seen Okele though. Mr Ibu reminds me a lot of Hitoshi Matsumoto, (see pic attached). Any funny films you reccomend with them?

Okele and Sanyeri are funny, but there movies are majorly in Yoruba language.

Saka and Ajirebi acts English movies that you will easily flow with. Therefore, search for Baba Ajasco movies on YouTube. It's in series, you will laugh yourself away.
Re: Irish European AMA by Thannny(m): 10:54pm On May 14, 2021
Idaytesj29:

Okele and Sanyeri are funny, but there movies are majorly in Yoruba language.

Saka and Ajirebi acts English movies that you will easily flow with. Therefore, search for Baba Ajasco movies on YouTube. It's in series, you will laugh yourself away.
I checked out Papa Ajasco and I laughed hysterically at the scene where the guy puts a hot iron to his head instead of his phone!!! I'm interested in learning Yoruba, at least conversationally if I ever do visit Nigeria so I can enjoy the TV shows and movies. Thanks for the reccomendation!
Re: Irish European AMA by Idaytesj29(m): 11:28pm On May 14, 2021
Thannny:

I checked out Papa Ajasco and I laughed hysterically at the scene where the guy puts a hot iron to his head instead of his phone!!! I'm interested in learning Yoruba, at least conversationally if I ever do visit Nigeria so I can enjoy the TV shows and movies. Thanks for the reccomendation!

You are welcome, you seem to be an interesting personality. Most westerners are not really interested in African traditional language and culture. I hope you have a successful career like Profeasors Kareen Barber and Susan Wenger, who took serious interest in African culture.

I am a Yoruba man and I can volunteer some time after work to teach you Yoruba. The conversational level. And if you decide to go academic, I know a professor of Yoruba at University of Lagos, he was my guardian while I was studying, he will surely add value to your knowledge of Yoruba language and culture.

You can request for my email if you want to learn the Yoruba language.
Re: Irish European AMA by Thannny(m): 11:15pm On May 15, 2021
Idaytesj29:

You are welcome, you seem to be an interesting personality. Most westerners are not really interested in African traditional language and culture. I hope you have a successful career like Profeasors Kareen Barber and Susan Wenger, who took serious interest in African culture.

I am a Yoruba man and I can volunteer some time after work to teach you Yoruba. The conversational level. And if you decide to go academic, I know a professor of Yoruba at University of Lagos, he was my guardian while I was studying, he will surely add value to your knowledge of Yoruba language and culture.

You can request for my email if you want to learn the Yoruba language.
I really appreciate it! I think a lot of my contemporaries don't truly appreciate or understand Africa, and to be fair neither do I. My career is mainly in English and Film, however I'd be lying if I said that I don't have an interest in Nigerian cinema or culture. I really appreciate the offer to teach me Yoruba, I'd be down! I'll request your email and we can decide what communication you'd prefer! Penpals seem to be a thing of the past, so meeting people from other places that I have never been would certainly be fun!

Thanks!
Re: Irish European AMA by Idaytesj29(m): 10:03am On May 16, 2021
Thannny:

I really appreciate it! I think a lot of my contemporaries don't truly appreciate or understand Africa, and to be fair neither do I. My career is mainly in English and Film, however I'd be lying if I said that I don't have an interest in Nigerian cinema or culture. I really appreciate the offer to teach me Yoruba, I'd be down! I'll request your email and we can decide what communication you'd prefer! Penpals seem to be a thing of the past, so meeting people from other places that I have never been would certainly be fun!

Thanks!

Its alright Thannny, there are many things of fun to experience and explore in the world, making friends from different culture and race is definitely part of it. Penpal is old fashion, I agree. Well, WhatsApp is very popular and most people use it.

(1) (Reply)

Sizzling London Pleasureland: The Best Massage In Chelsea / How To Check Common Gift Card Balance / Masquerade Playing Love With A Lady In The Public

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.