Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,998 members, 7,835,358 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:11 AM

Portsmouth Capture Striker Utaka - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Portsmouth Capture Striker Utaka (1281 Views)

Portsmouth To Punish Nwankwo Kanu For Continued Absence / Premier League: Portsmouth (0) Vs Manchester United (1): 25 August, 8pm / Portsmouth Vs Manchester United In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Portsmouth Capture Striker Utaka by smile4kenn(m): 7:11am On Jul 12, 2007
Portsmouth have completed the signing of Nigerian striker John Utaka.
Utaka scored 10 goals in 35 appearances in the French League last season for Rennes and moves to the south coast in a four-year deal for a reported £7m.

The 25-year-old Nigerian international said: "I have dreamed of playing in the English Premier League and this is a great opportunity.

"I spoke to Kanu, who was my national team captain, and he told me it was a great place to come."

Utaka was unveiled alongside England striker David Nugent.

Portsmouth boss Harry Redknapp said: "John has got the frigthening attribute of pace.

"I'm delighted with the pair of them, they will give us an awful lot up front.

"We're bringing in people who are ready to play and it will make us stronger."

Utaka admitted he had other options before signing for Pompey.

He said: "Manchester United and Newcastle were trying to sign me.

"But Harry made the effort to come over to Rennes to watch me and I had to respect that."

Utaka has spent two seasons at Rennes, having previously played for Lens.

Re: Portsmouth Capture Striker Utaka by topeorekoy(m): 7:17am On Jul 12, 2007
someone has already said that. CHECK THRU THE THREAD
Re: Portsmouth Capture Striker Utaka by krap(m): 10:46am On Jul 12, 2007
this is good news but my fear is that kanu 'might' be off loaded(pray not).Harry has given him till this weekend to make a decision and utaka's entry will hasten matters.
I don't know what kind of appreciation porty is showing kanu for his efforts in the club.
Re: Portsmouth Capture Striker Utaka by disturbed(m): 11:25am On Jul 12, 2007
more reasons to watch the EPL  next season grin
Re: Portsmouth Capture Striker Utaka by Mustay(m): 1:02pm On Jul 12, 2007
good 4 him

bad 4 kanu
Re: Portsmouth Capture Striker Utaka by A40(m): 2:20pm On Jul 12, 2007
Its a damn good move Portsmouth will really be a good side next season, Im happy for the guy hes one of our most effective players yet hes so humble and lets hs game do the talking if only our other guys can take a cue from him

(1) (Reply)

Pridict The Score / Another Reason Why C.ronaldo Does Not Worth It! / Strengths And Weaknesses Of Nigeria Team To Anc,share Your Opinion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.