Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,991 members, 7,817,919 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:56 PM

Reasons Why Employers Tend To Adopt Age Limitation On Most Jobs - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Reasons Why Employers Tend To Adopt Age Limitation On Most Jobs (20036 Views)

Why Employers Should Interview Applicants Online / Dear Employers This Is What Motivates Us, So Stop Asking - Topwritersden (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reasons Why Employers Tend To Adopt Age Limitation On Most Jobs by abdulDeAnalyst(m): 7:07am On May 15, 2021
Age Limitation is now a serious problem every Nigerian graduate will have to face in securing a job. Nowadays, most organizations usually look for graduates of age not more 24-28 years to occupy vacant posts in their various establishments.
Consider finishing your degree program at 28, after NYSC, your chances of securing a well paid job is greatly reduced. You will come to realize there are so many jobs you can't apply for because of the age limits placed on them. Some graduates have been searching for jobs for years and still have not secured any, but their age is increasing. The question is "will these people remain jobless forever?"

Some might have been within the range during their undergraduate years, but due to strike actions and other unforeseen situations like the corona virus pandemic, more years add up and thus their age might eventually be above the limit for most jobs. Only very few graduates are usually very lucky to cross this age barrier.
undecidedThe painful part is that a lot of graduates who are young at heart and well fitted for the job are always harmed by this discrimination.

Most establishments assume it is not always worth the added time and cost of interviewing more candidates.
1. Most establishments usually adopt the age limitation to regulate the number of applicants. Due to the level of unemployment in Nigeria, the number of applicants for most advertised vacancies are always dozen times the actual number of vacant positions. And a large number will be qualified for the job on the long run.

2. Young employees who are single tend to put in more efforts and spend more hours at work because they have no families to tend to. Some companies also prefer employing young graduates because they tend to be more intuitive, fast in learning, more flexible and more adaptive to change.

3. As most employers would assume, younger employees can cope with less pay as their demand is lower compared to older ones.

The painful part is that a lot of graduates who are young at heart and well fitted for the job are always harmed by this discrimination.

Most establishments assume it is not always worth the added time and cost of interviewing more candidates.

https://www.operanewsapp.com/ng/en/share/detail?news_id=de34647ca8487da3fb7c3a46279a57da&news_entry_id=s1a2cf8fd210515en_ng&open_type=transcoded&from=newslite&request_id=share_request

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reasons Why Employers Tend To Adopt Age Limitation On Most Jobs by LawLord247: 7:44am On May 15, 2021
Ok
Re: Reasons Why Employers Tend To Adopt Age Limitation On Most Jobs by talk2hb1(m): 12:12pm On May 15, 2021
Noted,
Age Limits only applies to individual's who has no unique selling point. Be of great value and they will come worshipping you!

72 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reasons Why Employers Tend To Adopt Age Limitation On Most Jobs by MissSweet(f): 5:53pm On May 19, 2021
True is everyone cannot get a white collar job. I personally isn't a fan of working 8 - 5 inside a closed tiny office with so much pressure and target to met and at the end still stressed out with nothing or little to show for it.

It think it is easier to be self employed in the 70s - 90s then now.

7 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Employers Tend To Adopt Age Limitation On Most Jobs by BarrElChapo(m): 5:54pm On May 19, 2021
Only in Nigeria undecided

3 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Employers Tend To Adopt Age Limitation On Most Jobs by lonelydora: 5:55pm On May 19, 2021
The reason is because younger people tend to put in more efforts without distractions like family issues and for cost reduction

Imagine employing older person who will get married in six months or one year time, company will start HMO for his wife and this will increase overhead cost.

10 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Employers Tend To Adopt Age Limitation On Most Jobs by sanmtiago(m): 5:55pm On May 19, 2021
Useless country

3 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Employers Tend To Adopt Age Limitation On Most Jobs by samnificent(m): 5:55pm On May 19, 2021
Age limitations on some jobs needs to be scrapped, they put that sh*t there so they can use their employees as they wish, knowing they are getting paid less than the work they actually do.

I don’t blame them sha, no one regulates our regulatory bodies.

18 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Employers Tend To Adopt Age Limitation On Most Jobs by akosy(m): 5:55pm On May 19, 2021
If you very good, dem go jump protocols.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Employers Tend To Adopt Age Limitation On Most Jobs by iamyemiakins(m): 5:55pm On May 19, 2021
Increase ur labour market value by adding up some professional skills and age limitation won't really affect you if you don't fall within the age bracket required.

6 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Employers Tend To Adopt Age Limitation On Most Jobs by Halifaxguy: 5:56pm On May 19, 2021
In developed countries there is nothing like age restrictions. You dare not put your age on your resume. I remembered when I was still in Nigeria hunting for jobs, every company I interviewed always demand your birth certificate before onboarding successful candidates. Seriously I don't know who brought this nonsense age restrictions to Nigerians employers, because such is not obtainable in developed countries. No wonder 90 percent of job seekers in Nigeria keep reducing their official age year in year out, in order to beat the system. I think is high time government intervene and stop this age restrictions nonsense. Well, I forgot that our leaders are useless and thus nothing will be done to change this narrative. Sad indeed �!

34 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Employers Tend To Adopt Age Limitation On Most Jobs by oshdam2015: 5:56pm On May 19, 2021
No sense in their age restriction.

6 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Employers Tend To Adopt Age Limitation On Most Jobs by iampeterben(m): 5:57pm On May 19, 2021
Young minds, fresh ideas, but its quite unfortunate that the reverse is the case.

4 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Employers Tend To Adopt Age Limitation On Most Jobs by babyfaceafrica: 5:58pm On May 19, 2021
Nansense.. Younger people are easy to manipulate

17 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Employers Tend To Adopt Age Limitation On Most Jobs by dfrost: 5:58pm On May 19, 2021
Hmmm...

Just carve a niche for yourself.

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Employers Tend To Adopt Age Limitation On Most Jobs by Mikelarteta(m): 5:58pm On May 19, 2021
Nigeria is really backward with some stupid and senseless requirements. Effectiveness should be the focus and not your age.

4 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Employers Tend To Adopt Age Limitation On Most Jobs by BruncleZuma: 5:58pm On May 19, 2021
grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Employers Tend To Adopt Age Limitation On Most Jobs by Simpubozz(m): 5:58pm On May 19, 2021
lol, not in tech

3 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Employers Tend To Adopt Age Limitation On Most Jobs by The5DME(m): 5:58pm On May 19, 2021
This practice is alien in the world of tech.
Re: Reasons Why Employers Tend To Adopt Age Limitation On Most Jobs by lawalosky(m): 5:59pm On May 19, 2021
W
Re: Reasons Why Employers Tend To Adopt Age Limitation On Most Jobs by ProfAmaben(m): 5:59pm On May 19, 2021
African employers need those that would call them sir, ma etc.

Oga: Deji, go and buy me corn across the road, when coming back, use Keke to go and get my kids from school. Wash their uniforms and make indomie for them. Don't forget to bath and feed the dogs cos they look weird these days.
Be back in 30mins grin

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reasons Why Employers Tend To Adopt Age Limitation On Most Jobs by Princepk212(m): 5:59pm On May 19, 2021
Wahala for us wey go public school at old age. Anyhow God no go shame us.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Employers Tend To Adopt Age Limitation On Most Jobs by tunwumi: 5:59pm On May 19, 2021
Oj
Re: Reasons Why Employers Tend To Adopt Age Limitation On Most Jobs by Jahzrockballer(m): 6:00pm On May 19, 2021
Wahala for any GEN Z wey still dey plan em future inside this sh*t hole, lol
Re: Reasons Why Employers Tend To Adopt Age Limitation On Most Jobs by OakConsultNG: 6:01pm On May 19, 2021
Okay then..
Re: Reasons Why Employers Tend To Adopt Age Limitation On Most Jobs by 79733139(m): 6:01pm On May 19, 2021
That's for "commodity jobs". If a company is looking for a data scientist (or data analyst) with sound knowledge of python, R, SQL, machine learning etc. they can't put an age limit or else they wouldn't get a competent person for the job.

Computer programmers, UI/UX designers, web developers... in general IT guys don't have this problem to contend with.

8 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Employers Tend To Adopt Age Limitation On Most Jobs by Ugandatales: 6:01pm On May 19, 2021
"Some graduates have been searching for jobs for years and still have not secured any, but their age is increasing."

Hahahaha! This made me laugh. I have been there. I had to start my own business after frustration nearly killed me. I remember the last straw was when I fell inside one big gutter while coming back from job hunt...with my file containing all my life documents.

12 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Employers Tend To Adopt Age Limitation On Most Jobs by NairaMaster1(m): 6:02pm On May 19, 2021
lonelydora:
The reason is because younger people tend to put in more efforts without distractions like family issues and for cost reduction

Imagine employing older person who will get married in six months or one year time, company will start HMO for his wife and this will increase overhead cost.

And you're happy because it doesn't affect you

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Employers Tend To Adopt Age Limitation On Most Jobs by Evilgenuis: 6:03pm On May 19, 2021
Age is nothing but a number grin grin grin
Re: Reasons Why Employers Tend To Adopt Age Limitation On Most Jobs by edoairways: 6:04pm On May 19, 2021
lonelydora:
The only reason is because younger people tend to put in more efforts without distractions like family issues and also reduce cost.

This excuse is fallicious. There are some persons who got married at that age range. The kind of stereotype we have in this country just alarming

6 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Employers Tend To Adopt Age Limitation On Most Jobs by YoungLionken(m): 6:04pm On May 19, 2021
No excuse, just that Nigerians employers are evil! Just like the Indians, Lebanese in Nigeria!!

Meanwhile, I support what El-Rufai is doing in Kaduna.. Most civil servants are ghost workers...

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Arik Air Nigeria Graduate Junior Analyst Recruitment (apply Online Now ) / Wema Bank Graduate Trainee Recruitment / How To Find A Real Work-from-home Job (and Avoid The Scam)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.