Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,053 members, 7,821,627 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:00 PM

The Gift - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Gift (6176 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Gift by queenitee(f): 8:03pm On Jun 02, 2021
Ah

2 Likes

Re: The Gift by Ann2012(f): 9:55pm On Jun 02, 2021
More updates pls OP

2 Likes

Re: The Gift by Adesina12: 10:43pm On Jun 03, 2021
This is serious and looks like I’m watching a movie
Weldone op
Let’s see where this is heading to
Sweet popcorn for you op

2 Likes

Re: The Gift by Luchi467: 7:02am On Jun 05, 2021
Nice one.looks more like a movie.

2 Likes

Re: The Gift by degelinglacis: 9:57pm On Jun 07, 2021
Chapter Six
It was my eighteenth birthday. I was woken up by someone banging on the door.
"Johara, it's morning. They are here" called Chioma my father live-in girlfriend.
I groaned and rolled to the other side of the bed. The "They" were my family members from my father's side whom I hardly see. Some were related to me by marriage.
I opened the door and in came female cousins and aunts.
"Barka da ranar haihuwa!" They chorused.
Happy birthday! They said. And it was five days to my wedding. I wasn't nervous, I wasn't excited. I was filled with dread.
"Na gode" Thank you. I said.
"Enough of the Hausa" Chioma chided.
"Karuwa" one of my aunts said
"Barawo" another threw at Chioma
Conversation grew quickly in the room, mostly insults at Chioma. Because of her supposed tribe and the fact that she wasn't married to father made her vulnerable to verbal attack. I turned my back at them letting the hairdresser start her work. I was going to have a sent forth party, that was why the women were here. It was our tradition. Children are usually exempted from the ritual, even if Laila and Advia where around they wouldn't be allowed in my room.
After the unfortunate incident that happened at the living room four months ago, Laila was transported to the family's hospital and father forbade us from seeing her or mentioning her name in the house. It was like she was dead to us. Every night Adiva crawled into my room crying heavily on my chest, I cried too. We haven't heard any information regarding Laila and Javed wasn't around. I was tormented with nightmares, in my dreams Laila had no pulse. None. I would call her but she wouldn't hear me.
As the days kept progressing, I doubted that she was still alive, maybe it was my pulse I felt that day at the living room when I touched her ear. I could still picture my fingers sticky with her blood.
"Is she dead?" Adiva asked me one morning in my room when we were eating our cereal and milk.
"I don't know" I cried
"I saw her in my dreams, she was scared" Adiva was already in tears.
I was tired of the waiting. I stood up and left my room in search of Chioma. She would know. If I had to beg her on my knees, I would. Father was out of town, I walked to the wing that belonged to him, where Chioma reside. I can't remembered the last time I was there. He usually invite us to his office that was if he had something to do. Sometimes, he sent his soldiers. The wing had four rooms, I was about to the one father occupied when the door opened. It was the man Chioma was with that night. I recognized him. He was relatively new, two years and was already living with us in the mansion and not the enclave meant for our family soldiers littered around Abuja. This must have been Chioma's influence.
"What's your name again?" I asked him.
He bowed his head almost mocking me. "Sultan"
This was no ordinary Soldier. I could feel my defense rising up and the only person I want to tell about my discovery was Javed. Why was father so careless around Chioma?
"Johara" Chioma came out in her lingerie, staring at me with mild surprise.
"I came to see you" I said.
The soldier quickly disappeared.
"Come" she beckoned.
I followed her into the room. It was manly. No warmth. Just the definition of father. Black woods everywhere, even the rug was black. The only soft colors came from Chioma's footwear.
"When is Laila coming back?"
"Ask your father" she retorted.
With her reply, I didn't get the answer I needed for the eyes showed any of her emotions.
"Why are you really here? Are you spying on me?" She asked.
"I only care about my sisters" I returned.
"As you should. Your father is going to put her down like some rabid dog" she answered.
"Put her down" I repeated
"Kill her. The doctor said she's mad"
"She's not mad" I quietly said.
Laila was not mad, she was just extremely sad. The doctors must have just said something just to justify Laila's act toward father. And he can't do that.
"Please, don't let him do that" I begged her.
"Why have you come to me? Hmm, the queen of the house, Sadat's Fiancee" Chioma face went hard with envy.
I do not understand what was there to envy about me. True, my marriage to Sadat would make me the highest ranking woman in our world but to what end? I didn't want that. It was useless, I would never be happy. But looking at Chioma all I could see was her greed for power. This outsider was obsessed with it. If she had it, what can she do with it? I mused. And another thought occurred to me, Chioma was powerful, she had Sultan, she was father's first live-in girlfriend... she has access to the family informations.
"Help me Chioma, I know you can help me" I pleaded.
"What exactly do you want?" She asked me.
"I want to protect my sisters from my father" I didn't have to think too much. They were my priority.
"I can help you. I can help them. Only you have to help me too" she replied.
"How?" I asked.
"I need a blood relative who will act as a witness against your father in the court of law"
"Court of law?" I was stunned.
"I'm agent Lawson" she revealed.
I rested back and just stared at her, like really looked at her. She was without her wig and with my imagination I was able to picture her in a uniform. No one would ever have suspected, she was too beautiful, too quite to be labeled as smart. I thought about how she always fawned over my father. All he saw was a lady who worshipped him not one who was in his life to ruin him.
"What you are asking for is my death" I answered her.
A wife to the Sanni's testifying against the criminals, against her criminal father. Nah I wouldn't make it to the court alive. I'd be shot in the head.
"We will protect you" Chioma said in a soothing voice.
"In my grave right?" I said in sarcasm
"Ask how" Chioma said.
"There's no how. I can't privately testify against him. They'll come for you Chioma, you and yours"
"It's Sophie" she corrected.
This was all unbelievable.
"What if I tell you there won't be any wedding" she added.
I rolled my eyes heavenward. "This is all joke to you"
"Johara, there won't be any wedding. I'm bringing this family down" she stood up and went to bring out some files.
I went through them, it was a location in Ghana, a nice house, smaller than what I have ever seen. And there was a witness protection form that needed my signature.
"You can start living like every young girls, go to the university, date boys, work, marry, be powerful not this shitty power" Chioma sneered.
I won't ever see Javed again. Not father nor Sadat. I have always wanted freedom, now that it was here on a platter of gold, I wasn't so sure anymore. Could I ever function in such a world? I would still be under the rule of the laws of the government. My life would be affected by their choices. Still under men. There was nothing like freedom, you'll always be a servant to somethings. And what was the advantage of my criminal world? Just the wealth. I would always wear the best clothes, expensive holidays if my husband is generous. I would never have to worry about money. But with the other world, I will only have stipends, will I be happy?
"We've gathered all evidences, you'll be a nail in his coffin" she told me.
A nail in his coffin. I want to be that. I accepted the papers from her, glanced through and requested for a pen. The last time I put my signature on a paper flashed through my mind. Sadat's eyes. He seemed kind. But still a spawn of the devil. If this fail....
"Sophie, if this fail, I'll kill you before they kill me" I said and I signed. I chose the lesser devil.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Gift by Thastie(f): 9:59am On Jun 08, 2021
This is surprising

1 Like

Re: The Gift by aprilwise(m): 11:29am On Jun 08, 2021
Twist of things. Thanks for the update

2 Likes

Re: The Gift by ukaface(f): 1:19pm On Jun 08, 2021
I henceforth mark myself present degelinglacis.
Keep it coming,for I enjoy every bit of your tales. grin grin grin grin

Well done.

2 Likes

Re: The Gift by Adesina12: 6:44pm On Jun 08, 2021
Heheee gege!!!
This young girl get mind ooo
What if this is a trick to know who she is supporting in event of eventuality?
Chaiii!! anyway she is nobody in the house and to die shouldn't be problem to her
Well done Op
Daalu, Nagode Esheee
Sweet popcorn for you
Re: The Gift by Nobody: 8:00pm On Jun 09, 2021
This life. Hmmmm

Well done dear
Re: The Gift by Ven97: 9:32pm On Jun 09, 2021
Wow... I didn't see this coming. What a twist
Re: The Gift by Missmossy(f): 11:32am On Jun 10, 2021
This is so interesting and sad at the same time. Beautiful piece keep it up.
Re: The Gift by Missyajoke(f): 12:08pm On Jun 10, 2021
This story is dope, how will you treat a girl child like that coupled with the fact that their father wants to kill his own child that's too much. sad sad sad
Re: The Gift by queenitee(f): 1:21pm On Jun 10, 2021
Tor o
Re: The Gift by queentener(f): 1:53am On Jun 28, 2021
degelinglacis:

No Sis
Hi it's been a while, trust you are good. Please drop update. Thanks.
Re: The Gift by Lordshola: 7:58pm On Jun 30, 2021
Thanks for this nice work op.
Re: The Gift by queentener(f): 9:21am On Aug 12, 2021
degelinglacis:

No Sis
Good morning, hope you good. Checked and your last seen was June 20, just worried. Hope to hear from you soon.
Re: The Gift by silverlinen(m): 9:47am On Aug 25, 2021
Wetin dey happen now O.P
Hope you good? Please just drop a msg even if u no go drop update,make we know wetin dey go on
This your silence get as e be ooo...we dey wait to hear from you soon
Re: The Gift by enirock(m): 1:40pm On Oct 05, 2021
Finally caught up and found out updates were no longer forthcoming. Thanks for the mention Op. This is a classic... Many people do not understand what the girl child goes through under sharia. Thanks for this as we await more updates.
Re: The Gift by queentener(f): 3:22am On Sep 01, 2022
I can't believe I keep checking always for close to a year now for update. It's save to say another abandoned story. At OP this is the second time you are doing this. It is well.
Re: The Gift by Tina11: 11:46pm On Sep 01, 2022
This is really an interesting story but where's the op oooo

(1) (2) (Reply)

Recite This Poem To Your Woman And She Would Love You More / Must Read: Commynity Slut….our New Neighbours / SECRET BETRAYAL - A Romantic Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.