Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,993 members, 7,821,471 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:25 PM

What Kind Of Learner Are You? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Kind Of Learner Are You? (331 Views)

What Kind Of Weird-looking Animal Is This? (photo) / What Kind Of Wicked Teacher Is This? What Would You Do As A Parent? / What Kind Of Learner Am I? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What Kind Of Learner Are You? by Ebonygeek(f): 8:30am On May 19, 2021
What Kind of Learner are you?

To succeed as a student in university, or any situation in which you have to learn new concepts, you have to know the best ways that can help you learn.

For many years, researchers and psychologists have observed and studied how people receive information and assimilate it, how people understand information differently from others and what learning medium makes workers and students most productive.

What is your learning style?

This refers to the way you take in new information and understand it. It could be visually, which means seeing the information, it could be audibly, which means listening to the information etc.

What time of the day do you learn best?

If you feel energized in the morning when you wake up, you might benefit from spending some time studying then, but if you learn better at night, you could set some hours apart to focus on your reading.

Can you focus on your work when there's clutter around you?

I don't know about you, but I find it Impossible to focus on reading or writing, when there's junk or dirt around me. A clean environment kinda contributes to a peaceful and relaxed feeling.

If you're the same way, you can quickly tidy up before you start reading, but if it makes no difference for your assimilation process, then go ahead with your work.

Can you handle potential distractions?

If I have a writing task, I have to make a conscious decision not to check my messages, because I know once I try talking to my siblings for instance, we could go on for hours.

If you're prone to distractions, try getting rid of the thing that's distracting you. You can consider putting your phone on airplane mode, letting your friends know you want to study, etc.

It's not just your phone that can distract you. Food can also call your attention, your TV, noise from neighbors and so on. If you have noisy neighbors and you're a day reader, you can try to locate a quiet environment to study in.

Does background noise help you read better?

Some people like studying with a little noise or sound in the background. If it calms you and helps you understand better, then by all means, carry on.

Can you understand what you read better when you're alone or when you're in a group?

Are you the kind of learner who needs to be in the company of people discussing topics? If you're already a campus student, then it shouldn't be difficult locating a study group. Even if you enjoy reading alone, once in a while, you could try adding some variety. No knowledge is a loss after all.

Learning Styles

Most people have a particular learning style that works best for them. If you want to find out yours, try to observe yourself.

Think back to past experiences. Were you able to understand that topic better because the teacher explained it well? Or did you finally assimilate it because you went home and read it thoroughly yourself?

Visual learners understand information better when it is presented in visual formats like text, diagrams, charts, pictures, and so on.

Verbal learners understand best through both reading and writing detailed notes.

Auditory learners learn best through listening. It could be listening to your teacher or an audio file.

Kinesthetic learners assimilate information well through practicals and carrying out projects with their hands.

Some people are able to understand information best through a combination of these processes.

Once you understand the exact type of learner you are, you'll be able to create good study plans and tools that can help you be that 'A' student you desire.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: What Kind Of Learner Are You? by kabiruDK(m): 9:33am On May 19, 2021
Nice write~up.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

How Do I Publish My Final Year Project / Nairaland On Worldreader. / 2021 Neco Agric Practical Agricultural Science Practical Questions And Answers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.