Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,418 members, 7,815,938 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:37 PM

My Landlord Trying To Impose An Outstragous NEPA Bill On Me.. - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / My Landlord Trying To Impose An Outstragous NEPA Bill On Me.. (481 Views)

Landlord Festus Shares Bags Of Rice In Cambodia (Photos) / Big Python Trying To Swallow A Dog Killed (Photos) / Who Is In The Best Position To Handle Nepa Bill? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Landlord Trying To Impose An Outstragous NEPA Bill On Me.. by dammylooksmart(m): 1:44pm On May 19, 2021
Good afternoon all, please I need your advice on this.. sorry I don't really know where this should belong.. the MODs should kindly fix at the appropriate section. Thank
..................................................................................

I live in a compound of 3 different flats in Sango Ota, while I occupy a two bedroom apartment out of the 3 flats. The two other flats are 3 bedroom flats and 5 bedroom flats respectively. The 5 bedroom is been occupied by the landlord. I pay a NEPA bill of 5-7k monthly (it varies) for the past 1 and half years that I've occupied the apartment.

While I use a deep freezer,a TV, Bulbs (corresponding number of bulbs for a 3 bedroom apartment),a double phase hot plate,I use normal fans, not ACs and a pressing Iron. The other neighbor in 3 bedroom flats who stay upstairs use same appliances I'm using and even more... (He uses AC, washing machine etal...) Pays same amount with me....(5-7k) depending on the bill for the month. The landlord who occupies a 5 bedroom with a shop attached to it also pay same amount.

Sorry I forgot to add that the landlord also has up to 5 INDUSTRIAL freezers.. the wife is into selling of ice blocks..

Now, things have been this way for the past one year that I entered into the apartment. I didn't complain all the while because I felt paying 5-7k monthly(paying same amount with the other two occupants) isn't a big deal for me... (Thanks to God)

Just today in our WhatsApp group the landlord posted an update... See below please..

"......Greetings to all, the recent electricity bills is high. I would want us to be paying N10, 000 @ monthly to be at ease and out of ibdc embarrassment. I'v tried to influence the bill reduction but all my 'awitoto' is not accepted. We've been served YELLOW card and we should not allow Red card to follow. Please let's play safe and pay N30000. From my findings I realized that we've been paying less for past month and confirmed by the Marketer. He said if prepaid meter is used we will pay higher than these amount and subsequent bill may increase depending on supplies. He therefore adviced that we should increase our payment now. Please let us adjust..."

What the landlord is trying to say from the post is that henceforth we would now be paying 10k each... I.e 120k yearly..

Here is the problem, now that the bill has been increased,I'm actually feeling cheated as to why would I be paying same amount with someone who stays in 3 and 5 bedroom (with giant freezers and ACs) respectively?

I actually wanted to respond to the updates right on the WhatsApp group. But my wife advised I see the landlord personally for a dialogue.

What do you advise I do please? Thanks....

Cc: lalasticlacla and other cabals should help push this to the front page pls. Thanks
Re: My Landlord Trying To Impose An Outstragous NEPA Bill On Me.. by Romanoff(f): 1:49pm On May 19, 2021
When will your rent expire?
Re: My Landlord Trying To Impose An Outstragous NEPA Bill On Me.. by Omihanifa: 1:59pm On May 19, 2021
120k yearly for NEPA bill is outrageous o shocked
When it's not as if you are running a factory or you are a welder undecided

All of you (tenants) should meet and let him know that you can't afford the new rate due to the nature of the economy.

You will see that he will start negotiating with you guys that how much Una feel say u a fit dey pay
Re: My Landlord Trying To Impose An Outstragous NEPA Bill On Me.. by ChiefSosa(m): 2:06pm On May 19, 2021
Let me call my uncle first
Re: My Landlord Trying To Impose An Outstragous NEPA Bill On Me.. by Ngenge(m): 2:12pm On May 19, 2021
I don't think the landlord did any wrong by giving everyone the same bill but do you think it's because of the presence of his industrial freezers that makes the bill to be high?
Re: My Landlord Trying To Impose An Outstragous NEPA Bill On Me.. by Kriss216: 2:17pm On May 19, 2021
Romanoff:
When will your rent expire?
What has this question got to do with OP's present dilemma.

Or you want to suggest he should pack out after the expiration of the current rent? Like its that easy

Dear OP, Your wife is a wise woman. She's one of the few sensible ladies in Nigeria. My regards to her.

As she suggested, meet the landlord personally, try and explain to him how the current bill will be too heavy on you.

Remember, whatever discount he gives you should be between you and him, the other tenant must not know.
Re: My Landlord Trying To Impose An Outstragous NEPA Bill On Me.. by Romanoff(f): 2:53pm On May 19, 2021
Kriss216:

What has this question got to do with OP's present dilemma.

Or you want to suggest he should pack out after the expiration of the current rent? Like its that easy

Dear OP, Your wife is a wise woman. She's one of the few sensible ladies in Nigeria. My regards to her.

As she suggested, meet the landlord personally, try and explain to him how the current bill will be too heavy on you.

Remember, whatever discount he gives you should be between you and him, the other tenant must not know.

Moving out after the rent expires is the best thing.

I discourage people from living with their landlords, it doesn't end well in most cases.

Let him get another house, especially one with prepaid meter.

That Landlord just wants to eat his cake and have it.

(1) (Reply)

. / Nigeria Police To Be Armed With Only ‘koboko’ At Checkpoints To Avoid Accidental / Pity Killing And The Yoruba Proverb Of Ikúkú Yá Jè'sín, A Criminal Homicide?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.