|Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New|
Stats: 2,907,177 members, 7,009,582 topics. Date: Wednesday, 10 August 2022 at 11:38 AM
|Impediments To The Implementation Of Intermodal Transport System In Nigeria by BENREU2017: 6:29pm On May 19, 2021|
Implementation of Intermodal Transport System in Nigeria, a country populous with a huge geographical coverage should be a hub for a functional intermodal transport system in Africa. However, the reverse is the case as the country still operates mainly on the inimical transport system. The numerous challenges hampering the transport sector in Nigeria such as traffic congestion, accidents, environmental pollution, can be tackled with an intermodal transport structure. Despite the humongous benefits of intermodal transportation, there are still challenges hindering the implementation in Nigeria.
Let’s take a cursory view at some of these challenges;
1) Poor Management: Over the years, Implementation of Intermodal Transport System in Nigeria have been poorly managed and this has had an adverse effects on the sector. Intermodal transportation requires effective management, which is not clearly visible in Nigeria’s freight transport sector.
2) Dilapidated, Decaying Facilities: Intermodal transportation requires top notch, effective and efficient facilities. Sadly, the dilapidation of most of the facilities utilized in the transport sector in Nigeria has adversely affected the implementation of the intermodal transport system.
3) Insecurity: Insecurity is still a major challenge in Nigeria. Road accidents, robbery, lack of perimeter fencing around the airports can hinder the utilization of intermodal transportation in the country.
4)Corruption and Ineptitude: The high rate of illegalities, extortion and corruption that exist in the freight transport sector in Nigeria has adversely affected the adoption of the intermodal transport system due to the fact that it requires top-tier, highly inclined management.
5) Low Private Sector Participation: There is low private sector participation in freight transportation in Nigeria due to the fact that the government majorly handles this sector. However, this has negatively affected the sector as it has led to a paucity of investors willing to revamp the sector.
6) Inadequate Funding: To successfully implement an intermodal transport system requires adequate funding, something that is lacking in the freight transport sector in Nigeria.
Solutions to these Challenges
1) Develop a good maintenance culture: Yes, a good maintenance culture need to be inculcated in order to fully utilize the implementation of Intermodal Transport System in Nigeria,
2) Improved Management: the management of the sector need to be totally overhauled and revamped.
3) Adequate Funding: Funding is requisite for the successful utilization of intermodal transportation. So, government need to provide adequate funds as well as encourage investors to invest in the sector so as to experience immense improvements therein. Also, through encouraging private sector participation, there can be adequate finance for the revamping of the sector.
Companies such as Royal Renacido with in-depth knowledge and experience on intermodal transportation can help in championing the course for the development of an intermodal structure in Nigeria.
4) Training and Re-training: The utilization of the intermodal transport system require more staff strength which invariably means more people will need to be trained and retrained to function in whatever capacity they have been appointed to
|Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health |
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket
Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2022 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77