Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,700 members, 7,802,073 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:43 AM

THE MARKED - White Sight: The Inbetween -- Sneak Peek - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / THE MARKED - White Sight: The Inbetween -- Sneak Peek (1693 Views)

A Song Unsong (A Marked Standalone Story) / THE Marked___white Sight: The Awakening / The Marked: In The Spectral Existence (A Stand-alone Fantasy Fiction Novella) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

THE MARKED - White Sight: The Inbetween -- Sneak Peek by obehiD(f): 3:14am On May 20, 2021
Read for a sneak peek of White Sight: The Inbetween, going to be published sometime this year. If you like what you read, follow this link and get caught up on The Marked before Inbetween drops. Crimson Night, the first book in the series is completely FREE!

https://okadabooks.com/user/obehid
Re: THE MARKED - White Sight: The Inbetween -- Sneak Peek by obehiD(f): 3:19am On May 20, 2021
“Bomb!” The cry tore through the frenzied taunts of rival fans and froze the bolokhon players in their tracks. “Bomb!!” This time everyone could see the white gleaming eyes of the teenaged boy declaring the state of emergency. His eyes showed he was an augur, he could see the future, which meant this wasn’t a joke.

Everyone started running. The bolokhon field fell into a state of utter chaos, players ripping off the jerseys that bound their hands behind their backs, taking off, some running faster than any normal human could. Puffs of black smoke appeared in the center of the bolokhon field, around a tall man with an orange shirt tied around his head. That smoke drifted all the way up, fully covering the man, by the time it went away, the man was gone. He’d teleported, an anger commune.

People ran for their lives, but not her, not the woman who’d led Odion here. Odion’s mother stood beside the boundary of the bolokhon field, watching the chaos with wide-eyes. She seemed frozen to the spot, too petrified to move. Odion raced towards her, desperate to reach her mother before the augur’s prophesied bomb went off.

She was too late.

The left score block erupted. Odion felt the ground shake underneath her feet. She turned harried eyes towards her mother. The force of the explosion vaulted her. Her mum was launched into the air like a projectile. “Mum!” she screamed, running, oblivious to the twigs flying through her.

Her mum landed hard against the carpet of grass, her head slamming back into the floor. As soon as Odion reached her, she fell to her knees. Blood trailed out of her mother’s ears, red, thick, and her eyes fluttered, without opening. A large stick stuck out the side of her stomach. Odion tried to reach for it, to pull it out, but of course she couldn’t, her hands just went right through.

Gunshots followed the bombs. Odion startled and looked around her. She heard more gunshots and a man who’d been running away dropped to the floor. She could hear loud wailing, so many people crying out, in fear, some in pain, the torrent of gunshots never stopped.

A voice rose above the chaos. “Anger communes, teleport as many out as possible. Jackals, run with as many as you can. No attacks, just get everyone to safety, ancestry guards will come to deal with the shooters. And someone, notify my mother!” The voice that gave the order was male, young, and moving closer as it spoke. By the time the man was done speaking, he was standing in Odion, his body was right were hers was. He leaned down and reached for her mother, scooped her up and then ran.

The man was naked from the chest up, only wearing orange shorts, which matched the jerseys that the bolokhon players had worn, while they played, before the peaceful game turned into a bloodbath. Odion followed. He ran fast, a werejackal no doubt, but she was able to keep up. She shouldn’t be able to, but she was, and she didn’t think too much on why she could, all that mattered was following her mother, making sure she was safe.

The man carried her to an alley and stopped there. Odion still hadn’t seen his face. All she saw was the back of his shortly cropped here and the lean muscles of his back and thighs. He placed her mother gently on the ground and knelt beside her, still keeping his back to Odion.

“Please, don’t die on me,” his voice shook, “you’re way too pretty to die like this. Come on, open your eyes.” He shook her a little, “that’s more like it,” Odion heard the smile in his voice.

She saw her mother’s right arm moving, it flapped, like her mother was trying to reach for something, but couldn’t. Odion moved forward and grabbed onto her mother’s hand, but of course, the hand just passed through her. “What is it mum?” she asked, but her mother couldn’t hear her.

“Do you need something?” The man asked, “Something here?”

Her mother was gasping, struggling to breathe. Odion stared at the man’s hands, watching as he reached into a pocket in her mother’s dress. He pulled out dark seeds, with a blue-green hue. They looked like corn kernels. The man held them up to her mother. She kept trying to move her hands and the limb just flailed uselessly.

“What is it? How can I help you?” The man sounded confused. Her mother’s arm stopped twitching as animatedly, it looked like she was slipping back to unconsciousness, or worse, dying. Her eyelids pulled back together. Odion tried to grab her, to shake her back to life if she had to, but she couldn’t, her hands just moved through, as if her mother was air, or she was. “Stay with me!” The man shook her mother. “She wanted seeds,” he mused, “blue-green seeds…why?” Then he jumped on his knees. “You’re a verdant!” He grabbed onto her mother’s hand and held them in his, over the seeds. “Do your magic, pretty witch, save yourself. Please!”

Her mother’s eyes snapped open, she blinked a few times, disoriented. Odion glanced at the floor, her mother was losing a lot of blood. “Please mum, whatever it is you need to do, you have to live!” She knew they couldn’t hear her, but that didn’t stop her from screaming.

Then her mother’s eyes filled with blue. Her irises went away, her pupils disappeared, all that was left was beautiful, blue, orbs. Her mother’s lips twitched, as if she was incanting something, and then she exhaled deeply and her eyelids closed, this time they didn’t open. Her hand slipped out of the man’s. There were herbs in the man’s hands, blue-green herbs, in place of the seeds that had been there.

“Healing herbs!” She could hear the joy in the man’s voice. “Praise Duraya, she grew healing herbs.” Then he fed her mother the herbs, pushing them into her mouth, keeping her mouth closed long enough for her spit to soak the herbs and draw out their juices. Juices that would heal her, Odion hoped. Finally, her mother’s eyes pulled open. She was still weak, but she was chewing the leaves herself. Her eyes were back to normal, brown irises that looked dark enough to be black.

“You had me scared there for a minute,” the man said, exhaling. Then he helped her mother up.

“You saved my life, thank you.” Tears sprang to Odion’s eyes. Her mother was alive! She sagged in relief. “My name is Itohan, Itohan Omorodion.” Her mother said.

“Ejehmen,” he replied, “Ejehmen Ehizokhae.” Ejehmen. Odion’s gaze darted to the man’s face. She didn’t know the last name, but she knew the first. The man was young, just like her mother, younger than the last time Odion had seen him in her dreams, but she would recognize that dark brown skin and hazel eyes, anywhere. It was the same eyes, the same skin, that her niece had, she could even see bits of Osezele’s nose in his. The tears fell freely from Odion’s face now. It was her father. She looked between them, her mother, her father, staring intently into each other’s eyes, this must have been the day they met.

“Oh my God!” Her mother squealed. “Ehizokhae, as in the God-born, that Ehizokhae?”

Her father chuckled. “The God-born is my mother.”

“But…but…the God-born is the Queen. That would make you…a prince?”

What? Odion gaped at him. Her father was a prince? Was this why her memory had been removed? Was this the truth that had been hidden from her?

“No, I’m not a prince, that’s not how the Enikaro works. I’m a descendant of the Enikaro, but I can’t be a prince, an obo, until – rather unless – the elements name me.”

Her mother seemed inclined to say more, but her father covered her mouth. “Shh,” he whispered, “I hear footsteps.” He cursed. “They’ve blocked our exit.”

Her mother’s eyes widened. “What are we going to do?”

“I’ll distract them, and you run.” He stood and started shaking, his irises flashing from hazel to an even lighter shade of brown, the brown of a werejackal going into his mark. Fangs came out of his mouth, claws grew from his hands, brown and black tufts of hair started sprouting from his body. “Run,” he growled at her, his face already starting to reshape.

Her mother didn’t move. “I won’t leave you,” she stammered.

He wanted to say something, but they were out of time, the people he’d heard were here. Black muzzles appeared, and then a line of shooters, blocking the only exit to the alley. They were dressed in black, men and women, holding rifles pointing determinedly towards her parents.

Her father finished his transformation. He was now a side-striped werejackal, marching protectively in front of her mother.

The line of shooters pulled their triggers.

Odion screamed. She jumped in front of her mother and father, trying to stop the bullets with her body, but she couldn’t, she wasn’t real here, the bullets went through her.

A man appeared out of nowhere.

He was tall, broad-shouldered, and muscular. He was dressed from head to toe in maroon leather which resembled a soldier’s uniform. He reminded her a little too much of Oare. He had silver tattoos allover his brown skin, on his exposed hands, on his face, Odion had never seen anything like it before. He carried a whip. The man swung the whip in a wide circle. He started slow at first, slow enough that she could still see the whip, but after a while she couldn’t see the whip anymore, it was moving too fast. Instead of her parents falling, the shooters fell. It was as if the bullets somehow ricocheted off the man’s whip and hit the shooters. By the time the man was done all the shooters were dead.

3 Likes

Re: THE MARKED - White Sight: The Inbetween -- Sneak Peek by obehiD(f): 3:19am On May 20, 2021
The man snapped his whip and it coiled inwards and then froze, locked in that coiled position. He latched the head of the whip into a loop on his leather pants and then turned around. The man’s tattooed face turned towards her father.

“Iyoba,” he bowed, “your mother sent me. She will be here soon.”

Her father, in his werejackal form, nodded. He tipped his snout towards her mother.

“Shall I take her home, Iyoba?”

Again, the werejackal nodded. He stalked over to her mother, close enough that she could run her hand over the fur on his head and stroke his pointy ears. Then he moved back.

“Will he be safe?” her mother asked.

“Yes,” the man in leather said.

Her mother’s wide eyes turned to him. “Are you…” she took a pause as if she couldn’t quite bring herself to finish it.

“A wielder? Yes, I am.” The man said. “It is my honor to serve the Ehizokhae family. We should go now.”

Her mother rose uncertainly, glancing between her father, and the man in leather, the wielder. Odion had never seen a wielder before, or rather, she had no conscious memory of ever seeing one. There were no wielders in the Benin Community anymore.

The wielder picked her mother up and then he vanished. Odion blinked, startled, there’d been no black smoke like one saw with anger communes before they teleported. He just vanished, disappearing the same way he’d appeared.

“I should have gotten her number,” Odion heard mutterings behind her and turned, and then promptly turned away. Her father was naked. “You just had to go and change in front of her, didn’t you, and then you couldn’t change back, because you’d be naked. Fool,” she heard the sounds of flesh slapping against flesh and more mutterings, and she chuckled. He was talking to himself, it was kind of cute.

Black smoke drifted up into the middle of the alley, and then slowly dissipated. A woman in white velvet stood there once the smoke was gone, she had three people standing around her, they all wore white leather, one was a woman with a coiled whip hanging from a loop in her white coat, the others were men and had no whips. The woman in velvet threw a pair of black shorts at her father, who donned it hurriedly. Then he stood and bent in greeting, till his right hand touched the floor.

The woman in white velvet walked slowly out of the circle of people in leather and headed towards him. She wore coral beads around her neck, on her hands, and twined through her hair like a coronet. Her face appeared familiar, but Odion couldn’t remember exactly where she’d seen her before. The woman had the same light brown eyes as her father and Osezele. She seemed powerful, regal, it was there in the set of her shoulders, and in the way she carried herself as she walked.

The woman grabbed her father’s shoulders and pulled him up, her palm cupping his face and moving it this way and that. “Are you okay?”

“Yes mother.”

She smiled a little with her lips, though her forehead had scowl lines in them. “Shooters, I’ve been told, appeared out of nowhere?”

He nodded.

She sighed. “I had no inkling, I didn’t see any visions warning me of it.”

He frowned. “But you’re the God-born, you see everything.”

She stroked his skin comfortingly, “only what Nature wants me to see,” she mused, looking slightly to the side, then she shook herself and returned to staring at him. “Omoye will give you Itohan’s address,” she said, gesturing to the woman with the whip hanging from her white leather coat. The woman bowed. “You should pay Itohan a visit tomorrow, show her you’re okay, get her number.” The God-born’s eyes twinkled.

“Mother,” he groaned.

“She will be the mother of my grandchildren, Ejehmen, make sure you take gifts for her parents when you go.”

He rolled his eyes. “Do you ever think that maybe I’d like to find these things out for myself?” Then he chuckled and shook his head, glaring lovingly at her, like he was irritated, but used to it. Then his gaze turned serious. “Where did the shooters come from mother?”

“Omoye?”

They both turned to the woman with the whip. Her eyes had gone white. “My children questioned some of the shooters, they know nothing, they’re unmarked thralls menoba.”

The God-born sighed. “I fear they have begun.”

“Who?” her father asked.

“InCoSeM.”

“Aunty?” The sound of Osezele’s young voice, probing her mind for entrance, made Odion’s heart clench and her stomach drop. She knew she had to get out of here before they were caught. Odion wanted to stay and hear more, but she couldn’t. She’d taken the oath of the Oasis and entered Seclusion, she’d allowed augur watchers into her bonding routes. If they caught another augur trying to bond with her, she’d be in trouble. But that wasn’t what scared her. It was the thought of them finding out about her tri-marked warlock niece that made her cringe with dread.

“Aunty!” But Osezele was strong, the girl was steadfastly trying to bond with her, to break through the barriers that Odion set up. Odion watched the vision of her family fade away in front of her, leaving her staring at an empty white room.

Osezele appeared in that room. “Aunty!” she ran towards Odion.

“You have to go!” Odion panicked. She felt more augurs tearing into her mind now. Two, powerful ones, she couldn’t find their identity, searching them out would only make it easier for them to find her bond with her niece.

Osezele’s face crumbled, all the joy draining out of it. “But aunty, I missed you, I wanted to tell you about the week we just had in school, you won’t believe it aunty, imps, and…”

“Now, Osezele, you have to go! We don’t have time for this. Where I am, it’s against the rules to bond with anyone. I gave them access to my bonding routes, they can find anyone I bond with and bond with them too. Do you know what that means? It means they can find you Osezele! You need to go before it’s too late!”

Osezele’s eyes widened. She understood then, the implications of this bond she held onto so tenaciously, she relaxed her hold, letting Odion take control, allowing Odion to end it. But not soon enough. Another augur appeared in their bond, joining them in the white room.

“Uncle?”

Odion frowned. Uncle? She turned. Her frown darkened to a scowl when she saw Oare standing there. Why did her niece call him uncle?

“Osezele, you need to go, now!” Oare’s voice boomed and Osezele tore free of their bond. She left the white room. “You need to go too, Odion, I’ll talk to the augur watcher, I’ll tell him that it was me bonded with you, not Osezele, he won’t question it. Go!”

Odion gritted her teeth against all the things she wanted to say to this man. For Osezele’s sake though, she held them back and left.

4 Likes

Re: THE MARKED - White Sight: The Inbetween -- Sneak Peek by obehiD(f): 3:20am On May 20, 2021
End of Sneak Peek, don't forget to get caught up wink

1 Like

Re: THE MARKED - White Sight: The Inbetween -- Sneak Peek by popeshemoo(m): 10:54am On May 20, 2021
Wow...wow..wow
Re: THE MARKED - White Sight: The Inbetween -- Sneak Peek by obehiD(f): 3:04pm On May 20, 2021
popeshemoo:
Wow...wow..wow

grin grin grin
Re: THE MARKED - White Sight: The Inbetween -- Sneak Peek by popeshemoo(m): 6:29pm On May 20, 2021
obehiD:

grin grin grin
I almost forgot how much I love this series.. I can't wait for you to continue this piece G.. And I really wish this gets made into a movie. most times I feel like my imaginations do not do this work justice

1 Like

Re: THE MARKED - White Sight: The Inbetween -- Sneak Peek by Dathypebruv(m): 11:22pm On May 20, 2021
Oh ObehiD my love for you holds no bounds kiss kiss
Re: THE MARKED - White Sight: The Inbetween -- Sneak Peek by Smooth278(m): 3:29am On May 21, 2021
obehiD:
Read for a sneak peek of White Sight: The Inbetween, going to be published sometime this year. If you like what you read, follow this link and get caught up on The Marked before Inbetween drops. Crimson Night, the first book in the series is completely FREE!

Hi hi, please hola me when this drops
Re: THE MARKED - White Sight: The Inbetween -- Sneak Peek by obehiD(f): 8:02pm On May 21, 2021
popeshemoo:

I almost forgot how much I love this series.. I can't wait for you to continue this piece G.. And I really wish this gets made into a movie. most times I feel like my imaginations do not do this work justice

Thanks so much for this, I really really appreciate it

Dathypebruv:
Oh ObehiD my love for you holds no bounds kiss kiss

Wow, thanks a bunch!!

Smooth278:

Hi hi, please hola me when this drops

Thanks for the interest. Definitely will do!

2 Likes

Re: THE MARKED - White Sight: The Inbetween -- Sneak Peek by onlyfacts: 6:23pm On May 22, 2021
obehiD:

I'll like to help you publish your story with a novel company. The pay is $100-$500+ monthly. Respond to my mention if interested.
Re: THE MARKED - White Sight: The Inbetween -- Sneak Peek by obehiD(f): 1:42am On May 23, 2021
onlyfacts:

I'll like to help you publish your story with a novel company. The pay is $100-$500+ monthly. Respond to my mention if interested.

Sounds interesting. What novel company is this?
Re: THE MARKED - White Sight: The Inbetween -- Sneak Peek by onlyfacts: 7:39am On May 23, 2021
obehiD:

Sounds interesting. What novel company is this?

NovelCat. drop your WhatsApp number for my details.
Re: THE MARKED - White Sight: The Inbetween -- Sneak Peek by Fazemood(m): 11:42pm On Jun 12, 2021
What I have been waiting for.

Is the book complete yet?
Re: THE MARKED - White Sight: The Inbetween -- Sneak Peek by obehiD(f): 5:20pm On Jun 13, 2021
Fazemood:
What I have been waiting for.

Is the book complete yet?

No, I'm still working on the editing, but my goal is to have it ready this year, to release it by the end of the year

1 Like

Re: THE MARKED - White Sight: The Inbetween -- Sneak Peek by Fazemood(m): 3:36pm On Jun 15, 2021
obehiD:

No, I'm still working on the editing, but my goal is to have it ready this year, to release it by the end of the year
I wish you strength to complete it
Re: THE MARKED - White Sight: The Inbetween -- Sneak Peek by cassbeat(m): 9:29pm On Jun 16, 2021
Please mention me when it's available....
Re: THE MARKED - White Sight: The Inbetween -- Sneak Peek by obehiD(f): 3:20am On Jun 17, 2021
Fazemood:

I wish you strength to complete it

Thank you oh, I need it grin

cassbeat:
Please mention me when it's available....

Thanks for the interest and I will mention you when it's ready!
Re: THE MARKED - White Sight: The Inbetween -- Sneak Peek by cassbeat(m): 10:43pm On Jun 17, 2021
obehiD:

Thank you oh, I need it grin

Thanks for the interest and I will mention you when it's ready!
ok
Re: THE MARKED - White Sight: The Inbetween -- Sneak Peek by LisaAnne(f): 10:47pm On Jun 17, 2021
Reading keenly
Re: THE MARKED - White Sight: The Inbetween -- Sneak Peek by obehiD(f): 6:23am On Jun 19, 2021
LisaAnne:
Reading keenly

That's great to hear! Hope you enjoy them grin
Re: THE MARKED - White Sight: The Inbetween -- Sneak Peek by LisaAnne(f): 11:34pm On Jun 19, 2021
obehiD:

That's great to hear! Hope you enjoy them grin
yes smiley
Re: THE MARKED - White Sight: The Inbetween -- Sneak Peek by Botaflica(m): 2:28am On Jun 30, 2021
Honestly, I have been waiting on an update but none came. I would like to ask if there is any other update to this post… i I have read all the other books even on Okada but this excerpt was telling something that was not completed in the White sight Awakening. But rather it shows that there are now series to come.. when will there be another update Obehid. Please
Re: THE MARKED - White Sight: The Inbetween -- Sneak Peek by obehiD(f): 6:11am On Jul 02, 2021
Botaflica:
Honestly, I have been waiting on an update but none came. I would like to ask if there is any other update to this post… i I have read all the other books even on Okada but this excerpt was telling something that was not completed in the White sight Awakening. But rather it shows that there are now series to come.. when will there be another update Obehid. Please

Hi Botaflica, This is for the next book, the one that comes after Awakening. I am still working on editing it, that's why it's not published yet. Sorry I didn't make that clearer. I'll tag you when I'm done editing and the story is live on okadabooks. Thanks for the interest! grin
Re: THE MARKED - White Sight: The Inbetween -- Sneak Peek by LotaTee: 8:54am On May 11, 2023
Hi ObehiD, thank you for these beautiful stories. Is the marked series completed or is there more to come? Also, it'll nice to have a reading order.
Re: THE MARKED - White Sight: The Inbetween -- Sneak Peek by Fazemood(m): 8:40pm On Jun 16, 2023
Hello @Obehid, It's been a long while, how is your book going? Is it ready yet?

(1) (Reply)

Blogger's Drop Your Blog Address Here to Get An Award, More Subscribers, e.t.c / My Experience As A Student In Mubi(adsu) / Shut Up And Drive (completed short Story)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.