Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,993 members, 7,821,469 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:22 PM

Should I Learn Artificial Intelligence? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Should I Learn Artificial Intelligence? (737 Views)

I Want To Learn Artificial Intelligence, Where Do I Start From / Let Learn Artificial Neutral Network / Artificial Intelligence And Machine Learning Group (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Learn Artificial Intelligence? by Connected1: 11:12am On May 21, 2021
Hi Everyone!
I want to learn Artificial Intelligence.
I have started learning Python and I can write some easy codes, as Google told me it's one of the prerequisites.
I downloaded a YouTube Video on Python by Mosh and I bought a course for it on Udemy.com
I prefer the YouTube Video because it doesn't require any more data download but udemy does.
I am a Computer Science Student.
Is there anything I need to know.
I have a 32 bit Laptop.
Is it too expensive to learn?
How do I become a professional in AI?
How much time should I dedicate to it?
Is it usable in Nigeria/Africa?
The seniors should guide me please.
Re: Should I Learn Artificial Intelligence? by Karlebolu(m): 2:09pm On May 21, 2021
You might struggle to land a job.

Before you learn anything, search whether it is marketable. There are other programming niches more marketable than AI/ML.

From my little experience, AI isn't so marketable in Nigeria. The hot niches are web and mobile developments.

1 Like

Re: Should I Learn Artificial Intelligence? by tensazangetsu20(m): 2:27pm On May 21, 2021
Karlebolu:

Before you learn anything, search whether it is marketable. There are other programming niches more marketable than AI/ML.

From my little experience, AI isn't so marketable in Nigeria. The hot niches are web and mobile developments.
Even in the abroad, it's not easy landing an AI job without a PhD from a top school like Stanford or MIT. I see a lot of complaints on Reddit. Also a 32 bit laptop for machine learning. Bros you need a very high end laptop with a dedicated GPU of at least 6 gig, at least 32 gig of ram to do any serious machine learning. A computer in that spec will cost over a million naira.
Re: Should I Learn Artificial Intelligence? by danthamccoy(m): 3:15pm On May 21, 2021
OP please ignore the messages above me discouraging you. This is a very interesting and in-demand field, and you will not regret getting in now.

Artificial Intelligence is not in-demand in Nigeria now, but who said you have to work in Nigeria? I have an acquaintance who has never left Nigeria but is working his third remote Machine Learning job.

I am not an expert, but I have just jumped in. If anything, other programming niches are getting saturated. Besides, you don't just go from where you are into AI.

There is a career path, and you develop marketable skills on the way that can land you jobs right here in Nigeria. You can be a data analyst, data scientist, data engineering in Nigeria. You can learn web scraping with a limited knowledge of Python that can earn you money.

This is the best time to become a data scientist. And needing a PhD is a myth. Please do some research.

You can start with your 32 bit laptop too. There is a course I would recommend on Coursera - IBM Data Science Professional Certificate. If you apply for financial aid, the cost of the course would be significantly cut. Alternatively, you can take advantage of a Udemy sale (currently going on) to buy a course on data analysis or data science for around N3,500.

Take advantage of this thread https://www.nairaland.com/5485400/chronicle-data-scientist-analyst

4 Likes

Re: Should I Learn Artificial Intelligence? by Connected1: 5:20pm On May 21, 2021
danthamccoy:
OP please ignore the messages above me discouraging you. This is a very interesting and in-demand field, and you will not regret getting in now.

Artificial Intelligence is not in-demand in Nigeria now, but who said you have to work in Nigeria? I have an acquaintance who has never left Nigeria but is working his third remote Machine Learning job.

I am not an expert, but I have just jumped in. If anything, other programming niches are getting saturated. Besides, you don't just go from where you are into AI.

There is a career path, and you develop marketable skills on the way that can land you jobs right here in Nigeria. You can be a data analyst, data scientist, data engineering in Nigeria. You can learn web scraping with a limited knowledge of Python that can earn you money.

This is the best time to become a data scientist. And needing a PhD is a myth. Please do some research.

You can start with your 32 bit laptop too. There is a course I would recommend on Coursera - IBM Data Science Professional Certificate. If you apply for financial aid, the cost of the course would be significantly cut. Alternatively, you can take advantage of a Udemy sale (currently going on) to buy a course on data analysis or data science for around N3,500.

Take advantage of this thread https://www.nairaland.com/5485400/chronicle-data-scientist-analyst
Thanks.
I have job that I do in line with my schooling.
My dream is to solve human problems using my computer knowledge, that's my reason for wanting to learn programming and AI.
Re: Should I Learn Artificial Intelligence? by Connected1: 5:26pm On May 21, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Even in the abroad, it's not easy landing an AI job without a PhD from a top school like Stanford or MIT. I see a lot of complaints on Reddit. Also a 32 bit laptop for machine learning. Bros you need a very high end laptop with a dedicated GPU of at least 6 gig, at least 32 gig of ram to do any serious machine learning. A computer in that spec will cost over a million naira.
I appreciate your advice.
I am not studying it so I can land a job.
Working for people is actually a nuisance, I am currently experiencing it.
I pray God gives me finance to acquire such high tech devices.

1 Like

Re: Should I Learn Artificial Intelligence? by Connected1: 5:27pm On May 21, 2021
Karlebolu:

Ok Thanks.

(1) (Reply)

Needed A Smart Guide With Good Skills In Linux And C Programming Language / Code To Monitor Network Usage / Help With .net

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.