Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,254 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:49 AM

The Nigerian "Japa" Dream is Not Unpatriotic - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Nigerian "Japa" Dream is Not Unpatriotic (1885 Views)

An Open Letter To Nigerian Japa Aspirants / Help!!! Japa Dream / Nigeria Airways: The Nigerian Picture That Will Bring Tears To Your Eyes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Nigerian "Japa" Dream is Not Unpatriotic by gistsmill04: 9:35am On May 23, 2021
When a country’s situation gets “messier” or beyond redemption, citizens are forced to look outwardly; to spread their tentacles; to leave their comfort zone. Sorry, I mean distress zone! This feeling has given birth to the “Japa dream“. So, what is the “Japa dream” all about?

Japa is a Yoruba word which literally means “run”. The word has become quite popular today following its use on Twitter and it has become more popular for its connotative meaning — run away for Nigeria.

The Japa dream is a dream of an average Nigerian who has lost faith in the country. The Japa dream is a means of escape for the average Nigerian who has no access to opportunities; it is a means to help the average Nigerian have a good shot at life if the Nigerian system is not willing to avail such opportunity.

Some years ago, the urge to to leave the country wasn’t as high as it is today. Today, the urge and desire to leave Nigeria has reached the crescendo. Think whatever or call it whatever, the Japa dream is fine; the Nigerian situation isn’t improving; it keeps deteriorating with each passing day. Initially, when my friends and colleagues told me about their Japa dreams or aspirations, I was quick to talk them out of it. I made them believe the system would work someday. I made them believe that the status quo would change someday. I tried to sound patriotic and optimistic. I realised in recent times that my blind optimism was out of sync with reality. I realised my friends Japa dreams were “valid“. For we children of commoners, we must go seek greener pastures elsewhere if it seems unattainable in their fatherland. Every action of the government seems to dampen the optimism I once used to exude when my friends told me about their Japa dreams. Me sef wan even Japa now!

Whether, it is through a graduate school program, work or marriage, your dreams are realistic and you can go on with it.

At the moment, trying to Japa is not unpatriotic; it’s about looking at a Plan B, especially if you are not from a privileged background. You had better start looking outwardly!

https://www.ngtimes.net/2021/05/nigerian-japa-dream-not-unpatriotic.html

6 Likes

Re: The Nigerian "Japa" Dream is Not Unpatriotic by Nobody: 11:46am On May 23, 2021
Great write up.

I used to believe in Nigeria but not anymore. At the core of my japa dream is I don’t want to see yahoo as my only shot at having a good life.

Sadly, each passing day in Nigeria only presents fraud as the best option.

10 Likes

Re: The Nigerian "Japa" Dream is Not Unpatriotic by Focusmind: 12:07pm On May 23, 2021
The despondency and loss of hope among the youth is legendary. The country is loosing her finest. Economic survival comes first before any other thing

2 Likes

Re: The Nigerian "Japa" Dream is Not Unpatriotic by Miminana(m): 12:56pm On May 23, 2021
I dey for the people wey see this japa as only hope at the moment. I see say naija get nothing to offer me right now. The naira too weak for me to invest on right now(if I say make I do business). Japa na my only hope.

Libya road don full with boys, all of us wan enter Europe. Some of my guys don leave school enter foreign go hustle. Dis country just dey frustrate me day by day.
Make my own money too complete make I trek ham enter Spain. Europe is the dream.
My mama don stress for my head, she don dey old, she too gats chop pikin food.

Make my money complete make I leave this country. I sha know say I no get pass 16months again for this corntree

5 Likes

Re: The Nigerian "Japa" Dream is Not Unpatriotic by HELLASJ(m): 6:31pm On May 23, 2021
If you are an average Nigerian reading this post posted by op without a japa plan and want to waste more of your time in this hopeless country(except through God's intervention)... Please go have a rethink, presently Nigeria have nothing to offer you/us(citizen)

Me sef na NYSC d hold me...

Go have a japa plan and see tommorow

One love!

3 Likes

Re: The Nigerian "Japa" Dream is Not Unpatriotic by Uyi168: 6:34pm On May 23, 2021
I've never believed in this country.

The angel that directed me to this place, on judgment day we go settle our scores.. angry

3 Likes

Re: The Nigerian "Japa" Dream is Not Unpatriotic by Richdee1(m): 10:19pm On May 23, 2021
We must Japan
Canada is the way
Re: The Nigerian "Japa" Dream is Not Unpatriotic by Raph82(m): 6:04pm On May 24, 2021
Richdee1:
We must Japan
Canada is the way
We no go only Japan, we go Korea too.
Re: The Nigerian "Japa" Dream is Not Unpatriotic by Richdee1(m): 6:59pm On May 24, 2021
Raph82:
We no go only Japan, we go Korea too.

Lol, bro na mistake naaa
Japaaaaa I mean
Re: The Nigerian "Japa" Dream is Not Unpatriotic by lymelyte(m): 10:21pm On May 24, 2021
Remove Canada first from your plan.. You might end up staying in Nigeria longer if you have no other option other than Canada.Just try to leave Nigeria first with study visa.. You can migrate to any where in the world easily from other sane African country other than Nigeria..

4 Likes

Re: The Nigerian "Japa" Dream is Not Unpatriotic by tolajay: 6:44pm On Jul 08, 2021
Hi Smiles20,

I see you tried sending me a PM. Not sure I can still access that account. But we can talk here...It's a dead thread.
Re: The Nigerian "Japa" Dream is Not Unpatriotic by JapaProfessor: 10:57pm On Jul 08, 2021
Your "Japa" dreams are valid.
Re: The Nigerian "Japa" Dream is Not Unpatriotic by Smiles20(m): 5:17am On Jul 10, 2021
[i][/i][b][/b] Please how do I go about as an RN who graduated in Nigeria and wants to work in the US or Australia?
tolajay:
Hi Smiles20,

I see you tried sending me a PM. Not sure I can still access that account. But we can talk here...It's a dead thread.
Re: The Nigerian "Japa" Dream is Not Unpatriotic by Smiles20(m): 5:19am On Jul 10, 2021
Please how do I go about as an RN who graduated in Nigeria and wants to work in the US or Australia?
Re: The Nigerian "Japa" Dream is Not Unpatriotic by royalmu: 12:23pm On Jul 12, 2021
Miminana:
I dey for the people wey see this japa as only hope at the moment. I see say naija get nothing to offer me right now. The naira too weak for me to invest on right now(if I say make I do business). Japa na my only hope.

Libya road don full with boys, all of us wan enter Europe. Some of my guys don leave school enter foreign go hustle. Dis country just dey frustrate me day by day.
Make my own money too complete make I trek ham enter Spain. Europe is the dream.
My mama don stress for my head, she don dey old, she too gats chop pikin food.

Make my money complete make I leave this country. I sha know say I no get pass 16months again for this corntree
Oluwa go run am for you.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Any Cheap School In Europe / Biometrics Check In Alagbon For Criminal Records / Breathtaking Pictures Of Bristol UK

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.