Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,729 members, 7,816,996 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:33 PM

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 - Travel (326) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 (689118 Views)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 21 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (323) (324) (325) (326) (327) (328) (329) ... (676) (Go Down)

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 by Lekiboboe: 2:24pm On Jul 08, 2021
Anyanwu2003:
Please frankrobbn1.. App submitted April 24, medical upfront passed may 19th, bio passed 27th April.. Up till no no update not even ghost update..
Please I am supposed to resume August 13th.. What can I do. App is already 11wks
Processing time is 7 weeks, Since your application has passed standard processing time, open the link and put the information there into action for possible expedition of your study visa application

https://www.nairaland.com/6567181/canadian-student-visa-thread-part/304#103423562

2 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 by Testimonytime: 2:27pm On Jul 08, 2021
Marizzy:
I have been a silent reader
First time applicant
Ppr dropped on Tuesday 6th of July
Centennial college yayyyyy

Congrats. It will go round in Jesus name. Amen
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 by Testimonytime: 2:28pm On Jul 08, 2021
Marizzy:
I have been a silent reader
First time applicant
Ppr dropped on Tuesday 6th of July
Centennial college yayyyyy

Congrats. It will go round in Jesus name. Amen
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 by Akannitommy: 2:36pm On Jul 08, 2021
Hi,

Thank you very much for your response. From your response, you already have a profile that can be guided and the area of interest is also one that would have some funding prospect. I expect our inhouse programs guru @Lekibobo to provide details of related programs, labs and profs who may fit your desired research path soon (if not already). Also, see mine and other posts about strategies for getting funded PhD from part 18 in early/mid 2020. There were alot of that sort of posts (very detailed) from part 18. Some were written by people from areas unrelated to yours but the general idea will be helpful too. So start by reading those old posts carefully.

Another advice for back-up plan is to consider a second related research masters. Don't get me wrong, this is simply to improve your chances of success in gaining admission. I have seen folks with similar profile get admitted for research masters and they got study permits then proceeded to PhD afterwards, while they are here. Your SOP for study permit will have to anticipate VOs concerns and address them upfront very carefully.

Target schools and labs where you may have the best chances of admission and funding. From my experience, the best schools for you may not be the most famous school in the field or country. At the end of the day, follow the money and go where you would be valued!

Please, get in touch via DM and we can continue to chat per your specific circumstances.

ensamy:

Thanks alot @Akan, I wanted a response like this before going into details.
I have an M.Sc in Medical Microbiology and Parasitology from the university of Calabar with CGPA of 4.2/5.0 and an Bachelors degree in Medical laboratory science CGPA of 3.7/5.0.
My research interests is on Molecular sequencing of Mycobacterium tuberculosis. I àlso have two scientific publications on reputable international journals of high impact level. Though I have done some other work on molecular diagnosis.
My question is, many at times one doesn't get response from prospective PhD supervisors who may have interest towards my research interests.
Infact which universities do you suggest are easier for one to get a PhD supervisor with funding. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 by Akannitommy: 2:45pm On Jul 08, 2021
Double Tuale as usual. You didn't disappoint. I knew you must have responded as well too, to this part. More grease to your elbow distinguished sir!

Lekiboboe:

While you await Hon. Akannitommy 's response, i would say, you have a good academic profile, coupled with your scientific publications.

At times/Most times, the reason most Prospective MSC/PHD applicants don't get response or get negative response from Professors is due to their ACADEMIC CV & their Cold Mail content (Mails sent to PROFESSORS to show interest in working in their research group/lab).

That being said, find attached a Document
Credits: Dr. Olumuyiwaayo of UBC, Canada

This document has a Highly Recommended Standard Academic CV & a non-generic , contextualised Cold mail template. This particular Academic CV and Cold Mail has successfully worked for many positively. That being said, use the attached ACADEMIC CV and Cold Mail template to revamp yours exactly the way it is.

In order to secure a potential supervisor (prof.), take your time & go through the contents in the link below , relate it to your field/Research Interests and do your due diligence

https://www.nairaland.com/6567181/canadian-student-visa-thread-part/175#102878887

Note: As a Prospective PHD student, don't limit yourself to one or five schools in Canada, widen your horizon as much as you can so you don't put all your eggs in one basket. There are loads of Canadian Universities with Fully-funded PHD research opportunities (OPOOOOR!!!!). That being said, check the link below for;

PHD in Medical Medical Microbiology & Immunology programs and Canadian Universities offering them (more than 10 Universities)
https://www.universitystudy.ca/search-programs/?k=Medical+microbiology&program_level_merged=Doctorate&program_language=ENGLISH

PHD in Parasitology and related programs & Canadian Universities offering them

PhD in Parasitology
McGill University, Quebec

PhD in gastrointestinal sciences
University of Calgary, Alberta

PhD - Pathology and Microbiology
University of Prince Edward Island, Prince Edward Island

I came across a post recently on TWITTER,
about PROFESSORS at the UNIVERSITY OF CALGARY, Canada who are looking for prospective MSC/PHD students, you might wanna check it out and see if there are Profs. whose Research Areas aligns with your Research Interests. If there is a match, do you due diligence on the Profs. you have a match with

https://vet.ucalgary.ca/future-students/graduate-students/graduate-student-positions

As a a Prospective STEM PH.D candidate, it's 75% certain you would be Fully-funded if a Prof. accepts you to his Laboratory/Research Group.

So against 2022, be very intentional about your PHD pursuit, & start now by doing serious research on Professors in Canadian Universities you have a match with (in terms of research) and use the above resources to package yourself before cold mailing them

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 by lambsbread: 2:48pm On Jul 08, 2021
Anyone else here applied for visa since last year and have not gotten any response?

It's 9months+ since I applied. Last update was medicals passed(since 6th January). I'm already tired of waiting

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 by happachris: 2:51pm On Jul 08, 2021
Gcmsonline

ganiruogene:

Please which people did you use for the gcms notes
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 by Akannitommy: 2:58pm On Jul 08, 2021
I think you need a good LOE to show what has changed since the last time you applied and now. How did you come accross the funds that has now become available to you and not before? Are you changing sponsorship type? If you can tidy up this aspect carefully and get experienced people from the group to guide, I think you would have a good chance the next time. Best of luck in advance.

happachris:
Not again oh. This is the first time�

I have more than enough funds and assets to show now. I am just curious if there is anything else I need to know.

Thank you boss

2 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 by DanielDriz(m): 3:10pm On Jul 08, 2021
Pls students experts in the field which would you rather suggests for a student visa applicant to canada; the Nigerian student express(NSE) or the conventional student visa process?, thanks
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 by Lekiboboe: 3:13pm On Jul 08, 2021
Akannitommy:
Double Tuale as usual. You didn't disappoint. I knew you must have responded as well too, to this part. More grease to your elbow distinguished sir!

Thanks Prof. Akanni cool

Your Midas Response on Graduate School in Canada is always succinct & loaded. Hopefully soon, we would start Cold Mailing Akannitommy's Research Lab for Graduate Opportunities wink

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 by Aissy: 3:16pm On Jul 08, 2021
Frankrobbn1:

I have experience responding to PFL letters along side with supporting documents. I will respond to your inquiry to know the exact reason for the visa officer's concerns. However, I'll appreciate it if you can share the reasons here, so others can benefit from the advices given by me.

It will end in praise
thank you very much, it’s because of the chargeback that was done on my application fees by the agent I am using. So essentially they are asking how I made my application fee payment and who made it? And why the chargeback occurred. I have paid the application fees tho four days after I got the chargeback mail
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 by Aissy: 3:16pm On Jul 08, 2021
Frankrobbn1:

I have experience responding to PFL letters along side with supporting documents. I will respond to your inquiry to know the exact reason for the visa officer's concerns. However, I'll appreciate it if you can share the reasons here, so others can benefit from the advices given by me.

It will end in praise
thank you very much, it’s because of the chargeback that was done on my application fees by the agent I am using. So essentially they are asking how I made my application fee payment and who made it? And why the chargeback occurred. I have paid the application fees tho four days after I got the chargeback mail for them.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 by Nobody: 3:17pm On Jul 08, 2021
One more thing, in addition to my previous suggestions.

There is an app called text now. You can call and receive calls withing Canada and US for free provided you are connectedto wifi. It would generate a Canadian number for you.

This would save you some money too.

You can call naija at 75 naira per minute too.

Fakosi:
Hi guys, I'm running out of funds in Canada.

What are the options of jobs I can do to save up for school fees, accommodation etc. Anyone with information should please share. Thanks

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 by Aissy: 3:17pm On Jul 08, 2021
Leyemoshood:

This is called Natural Justice in Australian Study Visa process. It's an avenue to clarify some information in your visa application, most times the student's visa usually get approved after providing a truthful explanation. It might be that you mistakenly picked NO for an answer thats supposed to be YES or said you've not been denied visa before whereas you've had a rejection. It's really not a big deal so cheer up and respond.
sincerely thank you so much, I am extremely thankful.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 by dotoracs: 3:24pm On Jul 08, 2021
It's not less than $1,000 o!

Akannitommy:
Hi,

For your wife, Memorial University of Newfoundland has one of the ridiculously cheap tuition in Canada. At least I know for MBA it is below $1,000/semester. But the Province is remote and laid back so alot of students who go there leave immediately after graduation. It may also be easier to get PR in NFL through Provincial Nomination and/or after graduation but there maybe requirement to live there for a few years. I have heard about New Brunswick too having low tuition rate -- others can chip in on this question.

Note only research masters and PhD get funded. Taught masters are rarely/never funded or maybe very poorly. It even gets worse with a finance/business major. The logic is that you are studying the course to make money first so you can aswell invest/pay for it yourself unlike sciences/tech that may not necessariy be commercial in nature (at least not immediately). It is assumed these latter courses especially their research versions are likely to impact the society more.

Your own profile looks very interesting too but for the HND part. If you can get a Msc in Forensics (Crime Lab Science etc) you may be able to also get a study visa. You have the background and related work experience. If you find a good lab that needs your own unique skills, it is not impossible to get some funding for a research masters but still your HND profile may pose a challenge in this regard. Consult more on this and other fora to see what schools can offer you admission with your profile. It is not impossible, may be hectic but worth trying.

You both should try a multi-prong approach for the eventual benefits of your family.

It shall end in praises. Ire oh!

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 by jayifeanyi1234: 3:24pm On Jul 08, 2021
Alchemist01:
Hello guys,

For those that travelled to Canada recently, how did you change your naira to USD before travelling. I have tried the personal travelling allowance route but almost all the banks have return ticket as a requirement. I am going as a student hence I booked one way trip as I have no idea when I will be returning.

Is anyone aware of any alternative asides Bureau de change/Aboki ?

You can tell your agent to do a return ticket for you. Most time the difference with a one way is not much, and depending on the airline, and the class booked, you can get a refund of your return leg( unused). Charges applied...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 by shupy: 3:26pm On Jul 08, 2021
Aissy:
thank you very much, it’s because of the chargeback that was done on my application fees by the agent I am using. So essentially they are asking how I made my application fee payment and who made it? And why the chargeback occurred. I have paid the application fees tho four days after I got the chargeback mail for them.
I really don't think you need the service of a lawyer or anyone. If you insist on using a professional service, frankrobbn1 will draft a perfect response on your behalf. Canadian immigration lawyer are expensive. You're actually the victim of a fraud like many other Nigerians in similar circumstance. You need to point that out.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 by AdoChel(f): 3:27pm On Jul 08, 2021
Okay, thank you so much for your response

Lekiboboe:

Of a truth, this eligibility stuff can be funny, I can remember during my application,
"we will send you a message when we start reviewing your eligibility" is what I saw from the beginning of when they start processing my application till when they made a decision on it". It's safe to say underground work was going on , but wasn't updated on my application.

I would suggest you await a response from the gurus pon this
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 by jayifeanyi1234: 3:28pm On Jul 08, 2021
Good day all,
Pls I have a question, if your school wants to start online , and you want to travel 3weeks before the online classes, will there be issues at the airport?
Thank you.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 by dotoracs: 3:31pm On Jul 08, 2021
Go to your (Nigerian) Bank to buy Personal Travel Allowance. The maximum per person is $4,000 USD in cash and it'd be sold to you at CBN official rate.

Alchemist01:
Hello guys,

For those that travelled to Canada recently, how did you change your naira to USD before travelling. I have tried the personal travelling allowance route but almost all the banks have return ticket as a requirement. I am going as a student hence I booked one way trip as I have no idea when I will be returning.

Is anyone aware of any alternative asides Bureau de change/Aboki ?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 by nifnifemi: 3:44pm On Jul 08, 2021
Finally God has done it

My PPR just arrived. will come back with full timeline

March 19th Applicant

59 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 by lawfree638: 3:49pm On Jul 08, 2021
nifnifemi:
Finally God has done it

March 19th Applicant

Congratulations
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 by Demmy10: 3:49pm On Jul 08, 2021
Hello guys,

I submitted my Application 19th of April, did my biometrics on the 23rd and it was uploaded same day.
Waiting for medical request, do you think it's the right time to send an E-mail to IRCC on an update on my application
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 by omariam: 3:50pm On Jul 08, 2021
nifnifemi:
Finally God has done it

March 19th Applicant
Congratulations!
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 by Gentledaf(m): 3:52pm On Jul 08, 2021
If I sent a webform....how would I know if it has been acknowledged. Will I receive an email of confirmation or
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 by lawfree638: 3:55pm On Jul 08, 2021
Gentledaf:
If I sent a webform....how would I know if it has been acknowledged. Will I receive an email of confirmation or

Unfortunately no!!
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 by Jhyd0202: 3:57pm On Jul 08, 2021
OctGsam:
All May applicants any response? Specifically, first time, NSE or not and May 19 forward?

Waiting for my approval as well.

Hi May 19 too same date but no response yet
I think we should chat in PM

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 by Bhyy(m): 3:57pm On Jul 08, 2021
Long Post Alert!!!

I like to thank God and my family who made this possible.

The wait was mentally draining even though it was just barely 48 days for PPR to land.

I never really had the desire to travel out of Nigeria because I was comfortable. However, last year the desire grew due to certain reasons. So here are my details:

NSE Route:

Application submitted May 22nd, 2021 (After the May 15th deadline).
Biometrics Request May 23rd, 2021.
Medical Updated to Pass May 25th, 2021 (Advance Medical).
Biometric Completed June 1st, 2021.
Eligibility Review June 8th, 2021.
BVL July 8th, 2021.
PPR July 8th, 2021.

Fall session
University of New Brunswick
MBA Saint John.

Applicant Documents Submitted:

IMM294E
IMM5257B
IMM5654E

A 50-page SOP with embedded attachments. The key here is, be truthful and write a compelling and engaging story. I explained every detail of me that could raise query since there maybe no chance of interview. I wrote the SOP myself after watching series of videos on YouTube. Before submitting, I discovered Nairaland and I got valuable information too. I couldn’t proofread on Grammarly due to urgency of time. Please this is not an excuse. After submitting the application, I noticed a few unpardonable typos and error of conversion. I said fixed deposit of CAD30k (N5.1m) was liquidated into my wife’s First Bank which was not correct. It was supposed to be CAD17k. This really scared me.

Daughter’s Birth Certificate and International Passport (American Citizen).

Wife International Passport with valid USA Visa and travel history to USA, Rwanda and Ghana. Although I was denied American Visa in 2019 which I declared and explained the reasons. I almost forgot this part as initial said no when I filled the form that I have not been denied.

Birth Certificate,
Marriage Certificate. (Ikoyi Registry),
NIN Slips (Wife, daughter and I),
BSc Certificate,
Transcript,
ICAN Certificate,
NYSC Certificate,
IELTS General due to expire in August (LRSW – 6.5,6.5,6,7.5),
International Passport with Netherland visa stamp,
Police Character Certificate,
Family Picture (My wife, Daughter and I),
Family Picture (Mother and one of my brothers),
Family Picture (Myself, and my two brothers)
Picture with Colleagues during training at Netherland
Resume Nigeria format (if there is anything like that),
Introduction letter from employer, offer letter, confirmation letter, promotion letter and increment in salary correspondence,
CAD1K Tuition deposit (Non-refundable),
Mybankstatement with N12.7m balance and after applying we spent like N600k out of the money. Lol.
Pension Statement with N8.2m balance,
Three-month pay slips,
Landed Property (Survey Plan),
Evidence of car comprehensive Insurance with AXA Mansard.

Wife (Co – Sponsor) Documents
Affidavit letter of support without notarization. Just signed by my wife,
Mybankstatement with N6m balance,
ACCA Certificate,
University of London MSc Transcript (I included this and ACCA intentionally because they are foreign credentials and they could easily relate with them),
Employment and confirmation letter,
Fixed deposit proof of investment – Although this was liquidated in 2020 into First bank which I explained in the SOP.

Some documents were not submitted due to size and oversight. After submission, I was agitated and wanted to submit more but my wife prevailed that there was no need. Just trust God.

I was getting tired of waiting and I had three offer letters from UK for September session. Although, I was not really feeling UK as the path to PR there was longer considering that I am 37 an was looking for a shorter path to PR which I believe Canada is.

I wish everyone waiting for this type of good news well. It will end in praise as it was for me.

Thank you.

47 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 by Gentledaf(m): 4:06pm On Jul 08, 2021
nifnifemi:
Finally God has done it

March 19th Applicant

Congrats it will go round
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 by Pejudear(f): 4:08pm On Jul 08, 2021
Congrats@bhyy. May Canada favour you and your family.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 by Nobody: 4:09pm On Jul 08, 2021
Just once. am i suppose to send it more than once?
Lekiboboe:

How.many times?

(1) (2) (3) ... (323) (324) (325) (326) (327) (328) (329) ... (676)

General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 4 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.