Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,600 members, 7,809,183 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:31 AM

Ugu Farming And Setup Analysis - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Ugu Farming And Setup Analysis (31373 Views)

Starting My Ugu Farming With My Friend And Mentor / Ugu Farming On A Two Plot Of Land. How Profitable? (pics) / Is Ugu Farming This Useless? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ugu Farming And Setup Analysis by veggieman2be(m): 9:32pm On May 24, 2021
Training outline for Commercial Ugu Farming

Day 1.

1. Overview of Ugu plant (Telferia Occidental is) and why go into Ugu farm business.

2. SWOT analysis of Ugu business/ feasibility analysis

Day 2.

1. Prep planting Operations of Ugu

2. Planting Operations of Ugu

Day 3.

1. Pest Control

2. Disease Control

3. Harvesting

4. Marketing

18 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Ugu Farming And Setup Analysis by veggieman2be(m): 9:39pm On May 24, 2021
This is sample of Ugu farm

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ugu Farming And Setup Analysis by veggieman2be(m): 9:59pm On May 24, 2021
1. Overview of Ugu plant (Telferia Occidental is) and why go into Ugu farm business
Some of you would be wondering if ugu farming is profitable at all....YES 100% Profitable, and I'm certain many of you will benefit from this training and own your own farms as an additional source of income.

Looking at the economy of country and the tide of things, one would quickly notice the hand writing on the wall. The economy is depreciating day by day. And most middle class earners can no longer make reasonable purchases in the market because of increase in the cost of goods and services.

By ROI
I mean Returns on investment
The only way out of this is extra stream/source of income.

Ugu business could be your best plug in for an additional source of income.

Do you know you can be making up to 50,000+ (Naira) per harvest and six figured every 3weeks from your Telferia (Ugu), on a Limited space of a plot (648sqm)?

Why waste that land you are not using for now?
Why not maximize that land?
Fluted pumpkin botanically called Telfairia occidentalis and Ugu in the Nigerian is one of the edible nutritious vegetables in existence. This farm produce has the potential to make any serious-minded individual rich for life.
(I have done it for sometime and i have had a serious ROI)

People have made a lot of money from this vegetable called Ugu

One advantage it has over all other vegetables is that it is universally accepted across all cultures and tribes and a very palatable vegetable. Health wise, it is what the body needs to perform wonderfully well.

So, these qualities are what made the vegetable superior to others; the fact that its demand is very high made it a very lucrative business opportunity.

But the problem is that only few individuals know the basic and required technical skill to actually successfully produce this vegetable; starting from planting the seeds in the soil to harvesting and storage procedures.

Most people delve into the business ignorantly, and at the end get their hands burnt.

SWOT ANALYSIS OF UGU BUSINESS

_ Why Should You Venture Into Ugu Farming Business_

Strengths
In ugu farming, there's a lot of vantage points for the farmer. Some of the strengths will be highlighted here.

- It is not a perennial or bi-annual crop. In just as little as 2 months, one can start seeing his/her investment yielding fruit.

- It is the most demanded vegetable in Nigeria compared to others.
Everyone eats it

- It has a strong export value. Already states like Anambra and other individuals are tapping into it. For instance, if you have up to 6plots plus, you stand a chance of been an exporter. (I would connect you with potential buyers, but your farm will be inspected for approval)

- It is easy to farm; all that is needed is commitment and passion.

- Its ROI is over 100% in a space of 4 months if properly farmed.

Did I talk about the value addition side of it?

Adding value to anything you do gives you more money profit.

Heard about the Ugu smoothie? Very few people are doing this.

You can also cut, dry, package and sell....

Doing all these won't even cost you a great deal....

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ugu Farming And Setup Analysis by veggieman2be(m): 12:15am On May 25, 2021
Weakness

Irrigation factor
Ugu needs water especially during the dry season.
Recall we farm it especially for its leaves.

And the freshness of the leave is tantamount to the availability and sufficiency of water.

Mechanization
planting ugu from my research will still have to be done manually because of the positioning of the seed while planting.

There's yet to be a planter that will accurately sow ugu seed.

Cost of seed
Ugu seed is one of the most expensive among its pairs. Imagine a single seed going for N50-N70. And the probability of it germinating is not even 100%.

But i have a good news for you. The seeds would be sold for as low as #30 per seed for anyone who is buying from through me.

Bad seed
The market women will do anything to promote their sale by telling you this seed or that seed is igbo or calabar or port harcourt seed (Note: These are the names for the good seeds).
You will know a good seed only from the parent stalk.

Setup cost
No matter how you see it, the setup cost is relatively high. I mean despite a good ROI, any mistake on the part of the farmer or investor may lead to a huge loss due to the high startup cost.

Threats
Everything around us is threatened including the air we breathe in.
So goes for Ugu farming. Proper understanding of these threats and ways to curb them will go a long way to make the ugu farmer profitable. I will state some of the threats but in generic form.

Diseases Most of the diseases that affect ugu leaves are airborne. Fungi growth on leaves is also a big threat to ugu farming considering that it is majorly farmed for its leaves.

Insects
Yes, insects are attracted to good looking broad, greenish ugu leaves. It's not only we humans that know good things. A simple solution to this is spraying a mixture of neem oil mixed with water. This has proved to be highly effective.

Animals &Humans: Part of the solution is to create a form of barrier around your farm. Though costly, with little time frame, one will recoup his/her investment. The barriers can be a fence block or welded Iron bars.

Lack of irrigation
Anything can happen but it is better to be prepared especially during the dry season farming.
Make sure your pumping machine and source of water is intact. You never can tell.

Market:
How accessible are you to the marketplace? Please give this a very serious thought before delving into this enterprise. If your farm is far from a settlement, do you have a form of transportation aid (bike, motor) to convey your produce to the market?

Poor Understanding:
The good book i.e. the bible, states that my people perish for lack of understanding. Understanding is a synonym for acquiring knowledge. Have you done your homework to better understand the rudiments of ugu farming? This will go a long way, I tell you.
We're getting to the interesting part.

NOW LET'S TAKE A LOOK AT THE COST ANALYSIS

For a plot of land
1. Depending on your area (country, region, state), you can rent or lease a plot for as low as
5,000 or 10,000 (Naira).
It becomes better if you have your own Land. Also, there are various Farm Settlements across the country where you can have access to farmlands, water and equipment at a cheaper rate.

2. Another important factor to consider is access to water, especially for dry season production. It is the first factor to consider before even thinking of setting up the farm. The land can be situated in a swampy area, or an environment with source of water (borehole, river, stream, or canal).

Let's do a little calculation.

You can also use this for any crop.
How to calculate the amount of seeds required to plant any size of Land
Let's take a plot for instance
Formula= Size of Land x Seed rate (number of seeds to be planted per hole) ÷ Planting Distance.
- Total Land Area of a plot = 60ft by 120ft or 18m by 36m (648sqm).
- Planting Distance is 60cm by 60cm, convert to meters = 0.6m by 0.6m.
- Number of seeds to be planted per hole = 1
Therefore: 648 x 1 ÷ 0.6 x 0.6 = 1,800 Seeds
So, 1,800 ugu seeds would be required to plant a full plot of land. You get about 250 to 300 seeds per paint depending on the size but of seeds, so you'll need an average of 5 paints.
Let's look at what it'd cost to set up on a plot
1. Land lease = 10,000
2. Land Preparation (which includes Clearing, Packing, Tilling + addition of organic manure) = 20,000
3. Seeds* 5 paints @ 8,000 each = 40,000
4. Planting = 5,000
5. Fertilizer (Poultry droppings) = 5,000
6. Weeding = 5,000
7. Miscellaneous = 15,000
Total #100,000
With 100,000 to 110,000 (Naira) you'll set up your farm on a plot.

Let's look at what you'd make from this.

REVENUE
You will begin harvesting from 8 weeks after Planting.

Some start harvesting after 5weeks but i would always advise that you make your first harvest at 8th week.

- Harvest is done every 3 weeks for 8/9months.
- You'll get at least 30 bundles or more per harvest from a plot.
- Each bundle is sold at 3, 000 to 5,000(Naira) depending on your location. Though higher during dry season.

- So, let's use 3, 000, to calculate;
3, 000 x 30 Bundles= 90,000 per harvest

Then let's assume you make your harvest, two times in a month
So in a month you would realize over 180,000

Then over 6months
That's 1million plus
Revenue will also be generated from the sales of seeds at the end of 6months.
A seed is sold @ N 30 at least, and a pod contains a minimum of 50 seeds.
- You can get over 50 pods from your plot if properly managed
Let's take a look at producing ugu on an acre(6plots)
- Lease of Land 10,000
- Clearing with Tractor 10,000
- Fertilizer 10,000
- Purchase of Seeds (30 paints@ 8000 per paint) 240,000,

I would subsidize if you are buying from me.

- Purchase of irrigation system 300,000
- Purchase of Reservoir/Tank 30,000
- Purchase of Pressure pump 20,000
- Cost of Installation of irrigation system 30,000
- Electrical/Plumbing works 20,000
- Cost of Planting 10,000
- Knapsack sprayer (2) 12,000
- Miscellaneous 20, 000
TOTAL #722,000 (Naira)

Expected monthly income from sales of Leaves for first 8 Months
- Harvesting is done every three weeks
- Each Harvest Produces 70 Bundles or more
- Each bundle is sold at 3,000 to 5000
- Revenue per harvest= 70 bundles x 3,000= 210, 000
You can make up to 500k or more per month with good farm management
500,000 times 8

That's over 4,000,000

Expected Income from sales of Seeds at 6 Months
- Each seed is sold at #30
- A pod contains an Average of 50 seeds
- An acre produces an average of 200 pods
- Total Seeds = 50 seeds X 200 pods= 10,000
Income from Seeds= 10,000 seeds x #30= 300, 000

23 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Ugu Farming And Setup Analysis by Deasegun19(m): 4:07am On May 25, 2021
I like this detailed analysis.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ugu Farming And Setup Analysis by veggieman2be(m): 6:39am On May 25, 2021
Deasegun19:
I like this detailed analysis.

Thanks
Re: Ugu Farming And Setup Analysis by Curious345: 12:22pm On May 25, 2021
You try shaaa. Nice tit bit.

But you just came across as a pure KEYBOARD FARMER
veggieman2be:
Weakness

Irrigation factor

And the freshness of the leave is tantamount to the availability and sufficiency of water.

Mechanization
planting ugu from my research will still have to be done manually because of the positioning of the seed while planting.

Cost of seed
Ugu seed is one of the most expensive among its pairs. Imagine a single seed going for N50-N70. And the probability of it germinating is not even 100%.

But i have a good news for you. The seeds would be sold for as low as #30 per seed for anyone who is buying from through me.

[/b]Bad seed[/b]
The market women will do anything to promote their sale by telling you this seed or that seed is igbo or calabar or port harcourt seed (Note: These are the names for the good seeds).

_*Setup cost*
No matter how you see it, the setup cost is relatively high. I mean despite a good ROI, any mistake on the part of the farmer or investor may lead to a huge loss due to the high startup cost.

Threats
So goes for Ugu farming. Proper understanding of these threats and ways to curb them will go a long way to make the ugu farmer profitable. I will state some of the threats but in generic form.

_*Diseases*_ Most of the diseases that affect ugu leaves are airborne. Fungi growth on leaves is also a big threat to ugu farming considering that it is majorly farmed for its leaves.

_*Insects*_:
Yes, insects are attracted to good looking broad, greenish ugu leaves. It's not only we humans that know good things. A simple solution to this is spraying a mixture of neem oil mixed with water. This has proved to be highly effective.

*Animals &Humans*: Part of the solution is to create a form of barrier around your farm. Though costly, with little time frame, one will recoup his/her investment. The barriers can be a fence block or welded Iron bars.

_*Lack of irrigation*_
Anything can happen but it is better to be prepared especially during the dry season farming.
Make sure your pumping machine and source of water is intact. You never can tell.

_*Market*_:
How accessible are you to the marketplace? Please give this a very serious thought before delving into this enterprise. If your farm is far from a settlement, do you have a form of transportation aid (bike, motor) to convey your produce to the market?

_*Poor Understanding*_:
The good book i.e. the bible, states that my people perish for lack of understanding. Understanding is a synonym for acquiring knowledge. Have you done your homework to better understand the rudiments of ugu farming? This will go a long way, I tell you.

[B]NOW LET'S TAKE A LOOK AT THE COST ANALYSIS[/b]

_For a plot of land_
1. Depending on your area (country, region, state), you can rent or lease a plot for as low as
5,000 or 10,000 (Naira).
It becomes better if you have your own Land. Also, there are various Farm Settlements across the country where you can have access to farmlands, water and equipment at a cheaper rate.

2. Another important factor to consider is access to water, especially for dry season production. It is the first factor to consider before even thinking of setting up the farm. The land can be situated in a swampy area, or an environment with source of water (borehole, river, stream, or canal).

*How to calculate the amount of seeds required to plant any size of Land*
*Formula= Size of Land x Seed rate (number of seeds to be planted per hole) ÷ Planting Distance.*
*Therefore: 648 x 1 ÷ 0.6 x 0.6 = 1,800 Seeds.*
*So, 1,800 ugu seeds would be required to plant a full plot of land. You get about 250 to 300 seeds per paint depending on the size but of seeds, so you'll need an average of 5 paints.*
*1. Land lease* = 10,000
*2. Land Preparation (which includes Clearing, Packing, Tilling + addition of organic manure)* = 20,000
*3. Seeds* 5 paints @ 8,000 each = 40,000
*4. Planting* = 5,000
*5. Fertilizer (Poultry droppings)* = 5,000
*6. Weeding* = 5,000
*7. Miscellaneous* = 15,000
*Total* *N 100,000*

*REVENUE*

Some start harvesting after 5weeks but i would always advise that you make your first harvest at 8th week.

- Each bundle is sold at 3, 000 to 5,000(Naira) depending on your location. Though higher during dry season.

Then over 6months
That's 1million plus
↑↑*Revenue will also be generated from the sales of seeds at the end of 6months*.
[*Let's take a look at producing ugu on an acre(6plots)*
- Lease of Land 10,000
- Fertilizer 10,000

- Miscellaneous 20, 000
*TOTAL 722,000 (Naira)*

[B]Expected monthly income from sales of Leaves for first 8 Months[/b]
*You can make up to 500k or more per month with good farm management*
500,000 times 8

That's over 4,000,000

[B]Expected Income from sales of Seeds at 6 Months[/b]
- Each seed is sold at N 30
*Income from Seeds= 10,000 seeds x N 30= 300, 000*

6 Likes

Re: Ugu Farming And Setup Analysis by vpaymoney(m): 1:09pm On May 25, 2021
Nice One there. What month is ideal for we that doesn't want to do irrigation?

1 Like

Re: Ugu Farming And Setup Analysis by veggieman2be(m): 6:20pm On May 25, 2021
Curious345:
You try shaaa. Nice tit bit.

But you just came across as a pure KEYBOARD FARMER
My other post will prove you wrong
Am a real farmer ok

3 Likes

Re: Ugu Farming And Setup Analysis by veggieman2be(m): 11:40am On May 26, 2021
vpaymoney:
Nice One there. What month is ideal for we that doesn't want to do irrigation?

With the way weather is going now for the past three years is difficult to ascertain when the raining season will start proper

To be on the save side one can start by mid April or early May
Re: Ugu Farming And Setup Analysis by PrincessEO: 1:33am On May 29, 2021
Hi everyone,

I am looking to rent a poultry farm in Lagos by October or November this year. Budget is 1 million Naira per annum. Please contact me by responding to this post if you are renting out a poultry farm.
Re: Ugu Farming And Setup Analysis by Jupoc: 8:19am On Jun 10, 2021
veggieman2be:

Thanks

How can I get a paint bucket of Ugu Seeds?
Re: Ugu Farming And Setup Analysis by dedons: 9:11am On Jun 10, 2021
Nice one
Re: Ugu Farming And Setup Analysis by Theophinio(m): 9:45pm On Jun 10, 2021
veggieman2be:
Weakness

Irrigation factor

Mechanization

Cost of seed

Bad seed

Setup cost

Threats

Diseases Most of the diseases that affect ugu leaves are airborne. Fungi growth on leaves is also a big threat to ugu farming considering that it is majorly farmed for its leaves.

Insects

Animals &Humans: Part of the solution is to create a form of barrier around your farm. Though costly, with little time frame, one will recoup his/her investment. The barriers can be a fence block or welded Iron bars.

Lack of irrigation

Market:

Poor Understanding:

NOW LET'S TAKE A LOOK AT THE COST ANALYSIS

For a plot of land
5,000 or 10,000 (Naira).

How to calculate the amount of seeds required to plant any size of Land
Formula= Size of Land x Seed rate (number of seeds to be planted per hole) ÷ Planting Distance.
Therefore: 648 x 1 ÷ 0.6 x 0.6 = 1,800 Seeds
So, 1,800 ugu seeds would be required to plant a full plot of land. You get about 250 to 300 seeds per paint depending on the size but of seeds, so you'll need an average of 5 paints.
1. Land lease = 10,000
2. Land Preparation (which includes Clearing, Packing, Tilling + addition of organic manure) = 20,000
3. Seeds* 5 paints @ 8,000 each = 40,000
4. Planting = 5,000
5. Fertilizer (Poultry droppings) = 5,000
6. Weeding = 5,000
7. Miscellaneous = 15,000
Total #100,000

REVENUE

Then over 6months
That's 1million plus
Revenue will also be generated from the sales of seeds at the end of 6months.
Let's take a look at producing ugu on an acre(6plots)
- Lease of Land 10,000
- Fertilizer 10,000

- Miscellaneous 20, 000
TOTAL #722,000 (Naira)

Expected monthly income from sales of Leaves for first 8 Months
You can make up to 500k or more per month with good farm management
500,000 times 8

That's over 4,000,000

Expected Income from sales of Seeds at 6 Months
- Each seed is sold at #30
Income from Seeds= 10,000 seeds x #30= 300, 000

Sir can you cultivate for me
Re: Ugu Farming And Setup Analysis by veggieman2be(m): 10:33pm On Jun 10, 2021
Jupoc:

How can I get a paint bucket of Ugu Seeds?

You can reach me on zero8zero608000nine3, to place your order

Thanks
Re: Ugu Farming And Setup Analysis by veggieman2be(m): 10:35pm On Jun 10, 2021
Theophinio:

Sir can you cultivate for me

At the moment NO. I have a project am supervising

You can rent a land in your area then I can guide you from A-Z how to cultivate ugu

Thanks

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ugu Farming And Setup Analysis by Theophinio(m): 12:18am On Jun 11, 2021
veggieman2be:

At the moment NO. I have a project am supervising

You can rent a land in your area then I can guide you from A-Z how to cultivate ugu

Thanks

Thanks for your care boss
Am currently not in the shores of Nigeria

3 Likes

Re: Ugu Farming And Setup Analysis by authecosta911(m): 7:24am On Jun 12, 2021
Good job op, I'm so impressed and motivated to go into farming... Is that your whatsapp number posted up there?

2 Likes

Re: Ugu Farming And Setup Analysis by veggieman2be(m): 5:39pm On Jun 12, 2021
authecosta911:
Good job op, I'm so impressed and motivated to go into farming... Is that your whatsapp number posted up there?

Good afternoon sir
Yes that's my number, if I type it in full digit NL will lock my tread up

Just decipher it

Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Ugu Farming And Setup Analysis by veggieman2be(m): 5:40pm On Jun 12, 2021
More course outline and training on Ugu to be posted soon
Stay tuned

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Ugu Farming And Setup Analysis by amstardi: 6:51pm On Jun 13, 2021
Drop your contact
veggieman2be:
Training outline for day one

Day1.

1. Overview of Ugu plant (Telferia Occidental is) and why go into Ugu farm business.

2. SWOT analysis of Ugu business/ feasibility analysis

1 Like

Re: Ugu Farming And Setup Analysis by amstardi: 6:58pm On Jun 13, 2021
When do you need the farm .. I can help you get one
PrincessEO:
Hi everyone,

I am looking to rent a poultry farm in Lagos by October or November this year. Budget is 1 million Naira per annum. Please contact me by responding to this post if you are renting out a poultry farm.
Re: Ugu Farming And Setup Analysis by veggieman2be(m): 8:09pm On Jun 15, 2021
amstardi:
Drop your contact

zero8zero608000nine3
Re: Ugu Farming And Setup Analysis by veggieman2be(m): 2:41pm On Jun 17, 2021
Now that we've seen the overview and SWOT analyses Let's move to the next course

Day 2.

1. Prep planting Operations of Ugu

2. Planting Operations of Ugu

1 Like

Re: Ugu Farming And Setup Analysis by veggieman2be(m): 2:57pm On Jun 17, 2021
HOW TO ESTABLISH UGU FARM

Pre-planting operations

Site selection:
This is the first activity you must carry out before setting up your farm. Ugu seeds need a
well-drained soil that is rich in organic matter.
A waterlogged soil does not support the growth of ugu. Your land should be well secured and also have access to water, especially during the dry season.

Land preparation:
Before planting, the land has to be prepared, it has to be cleared of existing grasses and the
stumps have to be removed to make the land free from weeds. Make sure it's not a rocky
ground. After these are done, the plot has to be marked-out to know the portion where the seeds would be planted.

There are two approaches to planting ugu seeds;
1. Planting using dibbling method:
In this method, beds, ridges or mounds are not made. The soil is just scooped and the seeds are inserted into the soil. The soil is not pulverized or tilled.

2. Planting on beds:
In this method, beds are constructed; the land is tilled and pulverized. Raised beds of about 4m by 4m are constructed across the slope of the land to reduce the risk of erosion. This is preferred during the rainy season. But if you are planting on large land size, there is no
need to make beds.
Unless you could afford the labour.
After making your beds, organic manure, specifically poultry droppings or any other organic manure should be incorporated into the soil before planting.
I would recommend the use of COMPOST. Because that's the best.
(I have a material on compost making and it goes for #1000, you can reach me if interested). I can also assist you in making your compost.
If you didn't make beds, the manure (Compost) should be poured on the soil surface and mixed.
Before planting, the pod (where seeds are embedded) is procured, the pod contains many seeds.
Matured seeds are extracted and air dried for about 24 hours before planting, immature seeds are flat and without cotyledon and are to be discarded.
After extracting the seeds, the seed can be treated with insecticide-fungicide mixture such as:
1. Apron plus
2. Seedrex
It will prevent the seeds from insects and fungi attack.
You can buy already processed seeds to avoid the stress

Ugu Seeds
This single factor can make or mar your investment. The best seed types are Calabar, Port Harcourt and Uturu
These particular seed types are best for commercial production as they produce large and broad leaves which grow very long and tolerate any soil type.
Try as much to avoid Benin seeds They are not good for commercial farms. They have tiny leaves

Seed Dormancy
This measures the time the seed takes before it can germinate. To break or shorten this time, you can dry for the seeds for 24-48 hours. I will advice; you to put it under moderate sunlight.

Planting

After you are done with land preparation and seed drying, next is to plant.
Seed Spacing or planting distance between seeds is an important factor to consider. This is a big factor when it comes to yield.

The ideal planting distance is 60cm by 60cm or 1m by 1m
Ideally, this spacing is recommended so as to help plant roots get the required nutrients without much fight.
Planting depth is 5cm
In planting of Ugu seeds
The pointed part should face downwards

3 Likes

Re: Ugu Farming And Setup Analysis by veggieman2be(m): 8:51pm On Jun 17, 2021
Seed Germination:_ Well-treated seeds would germinate at about 7 days to 14 days after
planting.

Post planting operations:
After the planting and emergence of the seedlings, certain operations have to be put done to
salvage the seedlings to harvesting period, they include;
Watering/Irrigation:
The seedlings have to be watered daily for the first two weeks of emergence to enable them to grow well. During the dry season, watering should be done every day morning and evening.
Weeding:
Weeds have to be managed to guide against competition on water, nutrients etc. with the
seedlings.
First Weeding should be done at two weeks after germination and done every 3 or 4 weeks
subsequently.
Fertilizer application:
This should be done at 3 weeks after the plants have germinated.
The use of Organic fertilizer, rich in Nitrogen is encouraged in this case.
A nitrogenous fertilizer such as urea is the best to apply on an ugu farm, because ugu is a leafy plant and such fertilizer enhances the growth of the vegetative parts or leaves of the plant.
However, NPK 15:15:15 could be applied.
When applying it, endeavor to place the fertilizer a few inches away from the plant in a ring or circular form.
For a plot you can get 2 paints of NPK to apply.
If your hand or any of the Fertilizer touch the crop, it kills the crop.
Don't be scared it'll regenerate

Staking:
So Staking is not encouraged in commercial ugu farms as it distorts the growth habit and could reduce the potential yield on the farm. This is only encouraged if the sole purpose of planting is to harvest the pods.
Now, the staked farm gave more attention to pods and few leaves were gotten.
While the unstaked farm has leaves everywhere
So the goal is to harvest from just a small portion and you get a bundle to maximize Profit.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ugu Farming And Setup Analysis by veggieman2be(m): 9:00pm On Jun 17, 2021
Day 3 loading......

1. Pest Control

2. Disease Control

3. Harvesting

4. Marketing

If you have any question based on the last two course outline you can ask
Thanks

3 Likes

Re: Ugu Farming And Setup Analysis by veggieman2be(m): 9:04pm On Jun 26, 2021
I welcome you all you our Third course on the list....

Control of pest: This practice should start 2 weeks after plants have germinated.
Pest such as leaf defoliators and some pathogenic infections are often noticed. Other pests that attack ugu include the grasshopper pest which feeds on the foliage and stems. The leaf beetle which feeds on the leaves, flowers and other plant parts, while caterpillars feed on leaves and bore into fruits.
Aphids also hinder growth by feeding on stem, foliage and flower buds, and transmit viruses.
To prevent them, use of proper seed treatment and application of any pesticide for vegetables as mentioned earlier will work.
This can be controlled biologically by boiling neem leaves (Dongoyaro) and spraying the
extracts in the leaves for a period of two weeks.

Diseases Control:
Ugu is quite susceptible to a lot of diseases that can easily hamper your crop and destroy your farms if timely action is not taken. Many of these diseases could be as a result of lack of proper care, maintenance and poor monitoring of your plants.
This could prove costly in terms of sudden yellowing in leaves, stunted growth of pods, wilting of stems or stalks and eventual death of the plant.
Moreover, it is more important to prevent an occurrence of pests and diseases rather than try to deal with them if they occur because once a pest or disease establishes itself on your crops there is often very little you can do to control it effectively. This implies that protection begins before the crops are even sown in the soil and as such we shall be focusing on good cultivation practices that help to protect crops against pests and diseases.

A prevalent virus disease is Telfairia mosaic virus; it causes the mottling of the leaves and low leaf yield; it also causes chlorosis, stunting and abnormal fruit development.
It is transmitted by the Aphids and also via bad seeds.
Others include: The White leaf spot disease, caused by Phoma sorghina. It reduces the leaf
lamina and also affects the seed. It is controlled by biweekly foliar spraying with Dithane M-45 at a concentration of 500 ppm.

3 Likes

Re: Ugu Farming And Setup Analysis by veggieman2be(m): 9:10pm On Jun 26, 2021
Erwinia aroideae causes soft rot of the leaves with yellowish ooze; it also affects the fruits.

Harvesting of ugu:
Ugu can be harvested after about 5 weeks after planting if it's for personal consumption.
However on a commercial basis it is advised to harvest at about 8 weeks after planting, then
ugu can be harvested repeatedly for about eight months at an interval of 2-3weeks.
Harvesting the right way will ensure that they regenerate after 2-3 weeks...the more you
harvest, the better and faster it grows...
You need to very careful with your first harvest as that has a way of affecting the sprouting
subsequently.

MARKETING
You can sell your ugu directly at the market, or you invite the market women to come to your
farm, they harvest and pay you.
The former is better as you'll make more gain from it.
To ensure a constant market, I'd advise you register with the market vegetable association, this way, you're guaranteed to bring in your produce to the market freely and immediately get buyers anytime you bring your produce.
It is important to do this and it's very cheap (5,000 per year) or 15,000 for a lifetime... Depending on your area.
Also note that market price fluctuates depending on the supply of ugu in the market.
Also, prices drop during the rainy season and skyrocket during the dry season.
If too many farmers bring their produce to the market, prices will drop.
Furthermore, you can become a supplier to Eateries, Restaurants, and supermarkets.
You can process by drying and cutting and package to sell at premium price...you can even export.

4 Likes

Re: Ugu Farming And Setup Analysis by veggieman2be(m): 9:17pm On Jun 26, 2021
IN SUMMARY

You don't need to have a whole plot of land to start, or have all the money in this world to begin. You can begin with the little land you have access to and take the above steps to learn and gain mastery before scaling up.
- Clear the Land
- Add your Compost or Animal manure
- Buy your seeds from the market, half paint or paint or more depending on the size of the land.
- Plant as indicated, one per hole at a depth of 5cm with a spacing of 60cm between plants,
remember to place the pointed part of the seed down or to be on the safer side, plant the seed flat.
- Keep watering the land
- In 5-12 days, the seeds will emerge, keep watering
- 2 or 3 weeks after emergence weed the farm and apply more organic manure.
-2 weeks later, you can do your first harvest and continue harvesting at 15 days interval while also adding manure, watering and weeding when necessary.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ugu Farming And Setup Analysis by veggieman2be(m): 9:28pm On Jun 26, 2021
I will be sending in some pictures of our Ugu farm

4 Likes

Re: Ugu Farming And Setup Analysis by veggieman2be(m): 9:35pm On Jun 26, 2021
Ugu In Plastics Custard Paint
It been sold for #8000 and contains between 250 - 300 seeds

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Obiano Flags-off Construction Of N15bn Poultry Farm(Photos) / Hi There! Contact Us For Your Agricultural Processing Machines. / Does Apple Grow In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 150
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.