Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,370 members, 7,853,655 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 09:01 PM

Itse Sagay: Why The 1999 Constitution Should Be Scrapped - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Itse Sagay: Why The 1999 Constitution Should Be Scrapped (486 Views)

Sagay: Why States That Are Angry Over VAT Collection Can't Be Blamed / Defections: APC Is A Highly Unprincipled Party — Itse Sagay / Open Grazing: Southern Govs Position Mere Declaration Of Intent - Itse Sagay (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Itse Sagay: Why The 1999 Constitution Should Be Scrapped by gistsmill04: 5:23am On May 25, 2021
It seems like everything in Nigeria should be scrapped for restructuring to take place. Professor of constitutional law, professor Itse Sagay, recently called for the scrapping of the Nigerian constitution for effective restructuring to take place.

Speaking on Channels Television on Monday, the Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN) called for the adoption of the 1963 constitution to address agitations across the country. Under the 1963 republican constitution, Nigeria had four regions — east, north, west, and mid-west — with independent structures.

According to him: My own personal preference is that we should scrap this constitution (referring to the 1999 constitution) and adopt the 1963 constitution that can contain everything that is being agitated for now,” Professor Sagay said.

“We adopt it, with amendments here and there, to make it accommodate states rather than regions, which we used to have.

“I think all these agitations will die down and everybody will be happy.”

He stated that under the 1963 constitution the regions in Nigeria competed amongst themselves and the country developed fast.

“When I was in secondary school, I knew nothing about the federal government, I only knew about Ibadan and Awolowo. The region controlled my life from A to Z,” he said.

“I knew nothing about the federal government. Everything worked perfectly, beautifully and happily. So, that is what we are missing”

“The regions competed. Nigeria developed fast. The regions kept what they produced, sent 20 percent to the federal level, and then 30 percent to a distributable level, which was then distributed to the regions, according to their needs.

“And everybody was happy. We just have to go back to that. Otherwise, Nigerians will not enjoy stability.”

He has got some points; do you agree the 1999 constitution should be scrapped?

https://www.ngtimes.net/2021/05/why-the-1999-constitution-should-be-scrapped-professor-sagay.html

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Itse Sagay: Why The 1999 Constitution Should Be Scrapped by DMerciful(m): 5:56am On May 25, 2021
Your principal Bubu is the obstacle to restructuring undecided
Re: Itse Sagay: Why The 1999 Constitution Should Be Scrapped by AlhajiNatty(m): 6:09am On May 25, 2021
Nigeria is such a wonderful country.
We look up to U.S as a prototype of Federalism. But what we copied from them has been turned upside down.
Just the same way Karl Marx stood Hegelian Dialectics on its head, that's the same thing we have done to true Fiscal federalism.
Let's do away with this military constitution and look inwards to the yarning and cries for a true Federal state.
Re: Itse Sagay: Why The 1999 Constitution Should Be Scrapped by xpressionx(m): 6:13am On May 25, 2021
The constitution should be suspended and the presidency disbanded.
Re: Itse Sagay: Why The 1999 Constitution Should Be Scrapped by megacity: 6:19am On May 25, 2021
Nigeria's true constitution is the 1963 constitution. 1999 constitution is a military decree and the military are incompetent to give Nigeria a constitution

2 Likes

Re: Itse Sagay: Why The 1999 Constitution Should Be Scrapped by Racoon(m): 6:19am On May 25, 2021
The 1999 constitution is just a fraudulent document imposed on this failed contraption of a nation by the vestigial remain of the post July 1966 northern military coup clique to continue lording it over others.
Re: Itse Sagay: Why The 1999 Constitution Should Be Scrapped by Sammy07: 6:20am On May 25, 2021
gistsmill04:

“When I was in secondary school, I knew nothing about the federal government, I only knew about Ibadan and Awolowo. The region controlled my life from A to Z,” he said.

grin I'm only intrested in this cool
Re: Itse Sagay: Why The 1999 Constitution Should Be Scrapped by orisa37: 9:16am On May 25, 2021
The-1999-constitution-should-be-scrapped-professor-sagay.

Or Rewritten to exclude The EXCLUSIVE LIST AND LIMIT FEDERAL GOVERNMENT AUTHORITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES TO FOREIGN AFFAIRS, MILITARY ON EQUALITY OF STATES BASIS AND TREATIES SEALING ONLY.

(1) (Reply)

Constitution Review.how Can Kalu Head South East Tinubu Head South West ? / Leah Sharibu, Others Now With Islamic State Fighters After Shekau’s Death / Breaking: Twitter Remove Buhari's Genocidal Tweet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.