Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,804 members, 7,817,334 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:29 AM

Miss South Africa Pageant Opens Up to Include Transgender Women for First Time - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Miss South Africa Pageant Opens Up to Include Transgender Women for First Time (1315 Views)

Miss South Africa Crowned 2019 Miss Universe. / Meet Miss South Africa 2019 Who Just Moved Into Her New Apartment. Photos / Bonang Matheba's Gorgeous Outfits As Miss South Africa 2019 Host. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Miss South Africa Pageant Opens Up to Include Transgender Women for First Time by TMKsouth: 11:34am On May 26, 2021
Scores on social media have applauded the Miss SA organisation for allowing transgender women to enter the competition.

This week, the organisation announced that entries for the search for the next beauty queen who will hold the title, are open until June 24.

“We are delighted that the Miss SA brand continues to provide a leading voice for not only the winners but also all young entrants and finalists who join us as a part of this empowerment platform. We can’t wait to meet the class of 2021 and introduce them to all of SA,” said Stephanie Weil of the Miss SA organisation.

Under the criteria for Miss SA 2021, the organisation said male-to-female transgender entrants were eligible to enter the pageant.

“Trans women are eligible to enter the Miss SA pageant, however, to be eligible to compete internationally, the contestant must be in possession of a valid South African ID document reflecting that their amended sex is female,” said the organisation.

This is in line with what the pageant has said before, in response to calls for transgender women who have not had a surgical transition to be eligible.

In 2019, the pageant had its first openly queer finalist, Sibabalwe Gcilitshana.

“I want people to know that my identity is not the only narrative of why I am here. I hope this will normalise different identities and I hope that the next queer, bisexual and non-binary finalists to come will never have to be labelled by their identity; they will just be considered Miss SA finalists,” she said.

The 2021 Miss SA pageant will be held in October. Reigning Miss SA Shudufhadzo Musida will hand her crown over to the new Miss SA during the ceremony.

Re: Miss South Africa Pageant Opens Up to Include Transgender Women for First Time by Onyi22(f): 11:37am On May 26, 2021
grin Bobrisky came to my mind
Re: Miss South Africa Pageant Opens Up to Include Transgender Women for First Time by heniford2: 11:39am On May 26, 2021
Yeye country grin grin angry
Re: Miss South Africa Pageant Opens Up to Include Transgender Women for First Time by Augla1: 11:39am On May 26, 2021
Bobrisky, coman contest ooo
Re: Miss South Africa Pageant Opens Up to Include Transgender Women for First Time by slowice(m): 11:48am On May 26, 2021
Soon men will be playing female football, pressing bress and and locker room evils, running like bolt from post to post and scoring hundreds of goal person season all in the name of transgender.

The world is moving backwards

3 Likes

Re: Miss South Africa Pageant Opens Up to Include Transgender Women for First Time by TMKsouth: 11:52am On May 26, 2021
Initial Reaction

Re: Miss South Africa Pageant Opens Up to Include Transgender Women for First Time by TMKsouth: 11:59am On May 26, 2021
slowice:
Soon men will be playing female football, pressing bress and and locker room evils, running like bolt from post to post and scoring hundreds of goal person season all in the name of transgender.

The world is moving backwards

I can see why they might have a competitive edge in sports (like Caster Semenya) but personally, I think trans women are at a disadvantage over 'natural' women in the beauty industry. So any lady who is threatened by a trans woman should re-evaluate herself.

4 Likes

Re: Miss South Africa Pageant Opens Up to Include Transgender Women for First Time by IronGalaxy: 12:04pm On May 26, 2021
Hayi hayi no ways lipsrsealed
Re: Miss South Africa Pageant Opens Up to Include Transgender Women for First Time by TMKsouth: 12:09pm On May 26, 2021
IronGalaxy:
Hayi hayi no ways lipsrsealed

grin grin grin Well, it's happening!

The writing has been on the wall for some time now, with the transformation of Miss SA contestants. Look at the recent winners dude - Zozibini and Shudu.

1 Like

Re: Miss South Africa Pageant Opens Up to Include Transgender Women for First Time by IronGalaxy: 12:14pm On May 26, 2021
TMKsouth:

grin grin grin Well, it's happening!

The writing has been on the wall for some time now, with the transformation of Miss SA contests. Look at the recent winners dude - Zozibini and Mashudu.
Lol, Zozibini and Mashudu are beautiful bro, not at all masculine looking. This will just dilute the competition in my opinion. South Africa is always trying to please too much is not feasible
Re: Miss South Africa Pageant Opens Up to Include Transgender Women for First Time by Missyajoke(f): 12:19pm On May 26, 2021
The world is really moving backward
Re: Miss South Africa Pageant Opens Up to Include Transgender Women for First Time by TMKsouth: 12:21pm On May 26, 2021
IronGalaxy:
Lol, Zozibini and Mashudu are beautiful bro, not at all masculine looking. This will just dilute the competition in my opinion. South Africa is always trying to please too much is not feasible

Zozibini has always looked a bit manish to me though. Anyway, they should have created Miss SA Trans. But it would lack in popularity, i guess - so they staged a takeover.

1 Like

Re: Miss South Africa Pageant Opens Up to Include Transgender Women for First Time by TMKsouth: 12:47pm On May 26, 2021
heniford2:
Yeye country grin grin angry

I'm saving u for page 3. RIP in advance cool
Re: Miss South Africa Pageant Opens Up to Include Transgender Women for First Time by TMKsouth: 1:49pm On May 26, 2021

Re: Miss South Africa Pageant Opens Up to Include Transgender Women for First Time by heniford2: 2:05pm On May 26, 2021
SA always disappointing Africa why maka Why?? undecided undecided undecided
Re: Miss South Africa Pageant Opens Up to Include Transgender Women for First Time by TMKsouth: 5:14pm On May 26, 2021
heniford2:

U find respect for human rights disappointing?

3 Likes

Re: Miss South Africa Pageant Opens Up to Include Transgender Women for First Time by IronGalaxy: 9:01pm On May 26, 2021
heniford2:
South Africa doesn't conform to Africa's archaic thinking.

3 Likes

Re: Miss South Africa Pageant Opens Up to Include Transgender Women for First Time by Queenslander(f): 9:16pm On May 26, 2021
These South African names though,. Can easily give one cancer if you ever try to pronounce them grin lool.. please don't get me wrong.. I love SA.. infact I do think they're the true gaint of Africa..
Re: Miss South Africa Pageant Opens Up to Include Transgender Women for First Time by TMKsouth: 9:30pm On May 26, 2021
Queenslander:
These South African names though,. Can easily give one cancer if you ever try to pronounce them grin lool.. please don't get me wrong.. I love SA.. infact I do think they're the true gaint of Africa..

I can see what u mean - Shudufadzo. But I don't think they're as tough as Zimbabwean and Madagascan names though. Try those out for instant seizures grin

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Actress Rita Daniels And A Follower Exchange Words On IG / Meet The Top 5 Celebrities You Never Knew Do Not Take Alcohol / Davido’s Ex-girlfriend, Faith Nketsi Reportedly Dumps Husband For Going Broke

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.