Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,305 members, 7,836,326 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:55 AM

Constitution Review: Akeredolu Backs Return To 1963 Constitution - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Constitution Review: Akeredolu Backs Return To 1963 Constitution (25268 Views)

Awolowo: 1963. MKO: 1993. Tinubu: 2023 / Owo Massacre : Akeredolu Backs Matawalle On Self-defence / Southern And Northern Kaduna Agree To Split Kaduna State At Constitution Review (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Constitution Review: Akeredolu Backs Return To 1963 Constitution by Elidrisy20: 5:44pm On May 26, 2021
This man dey crazy,na 1963 we dey
Re: Constitution Review: Akeredolu Backs Return To 1963 Constitution by Ojiofor: 5:44pm On May 26, 2021
Akeredolu is a great leader.
Re: Constitution Review: Akeredolu Backs Return To 1963 Constitution by Nobody: 5:44pm On May 26, 2021
Lugechy:

You're indeed a Lazy Nigerian

Thankee , old fellow. Much obliged.
Re: Constitution Review: Akeredolu Backs Return To 1963 Constitution by Christistruth00: 5:49pm On May 26, 2021
ednut1:
Was Nigeria an el dorado in 1963

Compared to today Nigeria was El Dorado
Re: Constitution Review: Akeredolu Backs Return To 1963 Constitution by nextstep(m): 5:50pm On May 26, 2021
If there was an example of a state or region that works well, is free from corruption, is developed, etc, I would agree.

Is it 1999 Constitution that we have to blame for lack of sanitation and clean drinking water? (it's the state's water board's responsibility BTW)
Or FG that manages omonile, corruption in every civil servant, and bad local and state roads? Should we blame FG for baby factories, skull mining, and the cheating that happens at computer village? When your quantity surveyor charges you for 300 rods but only bought 250, we should blame the Constitution bah?
Re: Constitution Review: Akeredolu Backs Return To 1963 Constitution by Christistruth00: 5:51pm On May 26, 2021
horsepower102:
Even better they should go back to the ABURI ACCORD that GOWON and his British sponsors rejected.

The ABURI ACCORD completely restructured Nigeria into a confederation. But the British advised GOWON against it after he already agreed to it.

Aburi left the Eastern Non Igbos completely under Ojukwus Hegemony

1 Like

Re: Constitution Review: Akeredolu Backs Return To 1963 Constitution by SIRTee15: 6:18pm On May 26, 2021
Lazynigerian1:

cheesy

Please don't make me laugh.

You Nigerians love a good myth...North, South, West, East.

Most parts of the SW did not have power in the 1960-66 period. Most of the roads were bad. Apart from urban areas, the rural areas were underdeveloped...and from 1965...the roads were unsafe and dangerous (go read about Operastion wetie).

Real nations and regions rely on using their resources to develop their industries....not sell raw materials and import stuff with the revenues...which is what the SW, SE North, Middle Belt and all Nigeria has done since independence.

Look, I am not just adressing this to you...I am adressing all Nigerians because I am tired of our constant fighting over nothing.

Development is a work in progress.
That some areas in western region had no rural electrification doesnt mean the overall picture of western region wasn't impressive.
U advocate for massive industialisation...Do u know virtually all the industrial estates in ikeja, ibadan, ilupeju, otta, agabara and ijebu ode were established during the western regional govt. Now same factories are now worship centres in the unitary system of govt u support.
What does that tell u? There's something fundamentally wrong with the current system we running.

Nigeria needs administrative restructuring. The executive list should be dismantled. Things like power, education, healthcare, agriculture, ports, mining, should be moved to concurrent list.
We don't need to follow the same economic policy.
The western region implemented free education because they could afford to, other regions didn't follow suit because they didn't consider it a priority.

Places like Tinapa would have become a booming free trade zone almost like dubai if the visions of Donald Duke were implemented. Rather the custom service killed it due to concern about revenue loss.

All this talk about corruption, nigeria not wanting to pay for power are just patronising at best. It fails to address the core issue.

2 Likes

Re: Constitution Review: Akeredolu Backs Return To 1963 Constitution by fombi: 6:32pm On May 26, 2021
People with a sound mind like this Governor should be the ones running for presidency of a country like Nigeria. Educated and ready for the job. Not people like Buhari who can't even spell their names or have a conversation with an 8 years old girl/boy or a Tinubu that don't have enough energy to bath himself.
Re: Constitution Review: Akeredolu Backs Return To 1963 Constitution by Nobody: 6:47pm On May 26, 2021
SIRTee15:

Development is a work in progress.

Which is in essence saying that the South west was not that developed. And that if only...

The truth is that, playing the what if game is really an exercise in futility. At the end of the day, the South West was a region dependent on revenue from exporting raw materials...

That some areas in western region had no rural electrification doesnt mean the overall picture of western region wasn't impressive.

There is a harsh reason why we have states...it is a long distance from the regional capital.

U advocate for massive industialisation...Do u know virtually all the industrial estates in ikeja, ibadan, ilupeju, otta, agabara and ijebu ode were established during the western regional govt. Now same factories are now worship centres in the unitary system of govt u support.
What does that tell u? There's something fundamentally wrong with the current system we running.

And we got a lot of industries too under Army rule...and still have some industries now

Besides, my problem with industries in Nigeria...they are not exporting at all...because when all is said and done, Nigerians prefer to share money, rather than work for it.

Nigeria needs administrative restructuring. The executive list should be dismantled. Things like power, education, healthcare, agriculture, ports, mining, should be moved to concurrent list

Power does not work because it is not well funded...because 1) we don't let it be run profitably. Power rents until recently were below the cost of production..and even now, they are still below the cost of production. 2) 40% of Nigerians don't pay their bills. You think moving it to some concurrent list would change things?
Besides, telecoms and GSM works and has grown in Nigeria because telecom companies are allowed to set their prices...and can make profits.
If you don't let things make profit...they won't grow
Educaiton and healthcare...the same thing. We want UK and US standard, at tax rates that are too low, and at fees that are too low.You think moving it to concurrent list would change things? (Schools in the old regions were better because they were highly selective...if we did that now, people will cry out in protest. )
Agricultuire....1) is mostly manual and subsitence. We have to import to make up. Less than 10% of our agric is mechanized.2) we don't have the guaranteed markets we had in the 1960's...take palm oil...we have far more competitiors than we had in the 1960's. As for cocoa...we went from No2 in the 1970's to No5 in 2014...if not lower.
Mining...is severely unregulated...plus no one knows if we can mine enough to produce for our country..plus we need large scale modern mines, not the small scale things.
As for ports....NPA needs to be run properly...plus we need to fix roads, rail, etc....

We don't need to follow the same economic policy.

Of course.
The western region implemented free education because they could afford to, other regions didn't follow suit because they didn't consider it a priority.

1. I am not a fan of Sir Bello...but he was a big fan of education...in additon to being an Islamist, and probably a tribal supremacist. Same for the Eastern leaders too...all regions did invest in education. But the biggest investments came in the 1970's...under Gowon and Murtala...and they were nationwide.
2.Western region could afford free education because not everyone was in school. (Most of the people of my parent's generation did not go to university. Most of my generation did... for example). Plus, most schools were not government owned. Today, no region or state can do free educaiton...there are far more people, and far more schools.

Places like Tinapa would have become a booming free trade zone almost like dubai if the visions of Donald Duke were implemented. Rather the custom service killed it due to concern about revenue loss.

Or the state could not attract enough investment...plus how was the transport link to Lagos and the capital Abuja...and eslehwere in Nigeria?

All this talk about corruption, nigeria not wanting to pay for power are just patronising at best. It fails to address the core issue.

1.We have to pay more for power if we want power 24/7. It may sound patronizing to you, but it is the hard truth, and LORD KNOWS I HATE THAT TRUTH...if I had my way, we would have had free power.

But the stats don't lie. Power prices per kwh are below the cost of production per kwh..and the recent increases only apply to chaps getting power for 12 hours a day at least...plus 40% of people don't pay for power. One of the DIScos collapsed finacially because of low revenue. Most of the DISCOS are not earning enough to pay taxes.

And I am saying this not because I am excusing bad governance or the DISCOS (and I would be very annoyed if you think so ) but because it is the hard fact.

We have a functioning GSM because we paid the prices the evil GSM COMPANIES set. DISCOS are not allowed to set prices, people don't pay them, even meters people bypass...and you expect them to make a profit to buy what we need to improve things?

And corruption is still a bad problem because our government relies on revenue from selling raw materials and sharing the same revenue...not from attracting productive inudstries...like serious nations do.

I am saying all this because I am tired of hearing Nigerians saying that when we restructure...we will develop. They remind me of a fat person saying 'When I move into my new house, we will develop' Meahwile, an election in Abia state attracted too few voters because lack of itnerest...then we wonder why we have Buharis, and company ruling us.
Re: Constitution Review: Akeredolu Backs Return To 1963 Constitution by SIRTee15: 6:54pm On May 26, 2021
Lazynigerian1:

Which is in essence saying that the South west was not that developed. And that if only...

The truth is that, playing the what if game is really an exercise in futility. At the end of the day, the South West was a region dependent on revenue from exporting raw materials...

There is a harsh reason why we have states...it is a long distance from the regional capital.

And we got a lot of industries too under Army rule...and still have some industries now

Besides, my problem with industries in Nigeria...they are not exporting at all...because when all is said and done, Nigerians prefer to share money, rather than work for it.

Power does not work because it is not well funded...because 1) we don't let it be run profitably. Power rents until recently were below the cost of production..and even now, they are still below the cost of production. 2) 40% of Nigerians don't pay their bills. You think moving it to some concurrent list would change things?
Besides, telecoms and GSM works and has grown in Nigeria because telecom companies are allowed to set their prices...and can make profits.
If you don't let things make profit...they won't grow
Educaiton and healthcare...the same thing. We want UK and US standard, at tax rates that are too low, and at fees that are too low.You think moving it to concurrent list would change things? (Schools in the old regions were better because they were highly selective...if we did that now, people will cry out in protest. )
Agricultuire....1) is mostly manual and subsitence. We have to import to make up. Less than 10% of our agric is mechanized.2) we don't have the guaranteed markets we had in the 1960's...take palm oil...we have far more competitiors than we had in the 1960's. As for cocoa...we went from No2 in the 1970's to No5 in 2014...if not lower.
Mining...is severely unregulated...plus no one knows if we can mine enough to produce for our country..plus we need large scale modern mines, not the small scale things.
As for ports....NPA needs to be run properly...plus we need to fix roads, rail, etc....

Of course.

1. I am not a fan of Sir Bello...but he was a big fan of education...in additon to being an Islamist, and probably a tribal supremacist. Same for the Eastern leaders too...all regions did invest in education. But the biggest investments came in the 1970's...under Gowon and Murtala...and they were nationwide.
2.Western region could afford free education because not everyone was in school. (Most of the people of my parent's generation did not go to university. Most of my generation did... for example). Plus, most schools were not government owned. Today, no region or state can do free educaiton...there are far more people, and far more schools.

Or the state could not attract enough investment...plus how was the transport link to Lagos and the capital Abuja...and eslehwere in Nigeria?

1.We have to pay more for power if we want power 24/7. It may sound patronizing to you, but it is the hard truth, and LORD KNOWS I HATE THAT TRUTH...if I had my way, we would have had free power.

But the stats don't lie. Power prices per kwh are below the cost of production per kwh..and the recent increases only apply to chaps getting power for 12 hours a day at least...plus 40% of people don't pay for power. One of the DIScos collapsed finacially because of low revenue. Most of the DISCOS are not earning enough to pay taxes.

And I am saying this not because I am excusing bad governance or the DISCOS (and I would be very annoyed if you think so ) but because it is the hard fact.

We have a functioning GSM because we paid the prices the evil GSM COMPANIES set. DISCOS are not allowed to set prices, people don't pay them, even meters people bypass...and you expect them to make a profit to buy what we need to improve things?

And corruption is still a bad problem because our government relies on revenue from selling raw materials and sharing the same revenue...not from attracting productive inudstries...like serious nations do.

I am saying all this because I am tired of hearing Nigerians saying that when we restructure...we will develop. They remind me of a fat person saying 'When I move into my new house, we will develop' Meahwile, an election in Abia state attracted too few voters because lack of itnerest...then we wonder why we have Buharis, and company ruling us.
Re: Constitution Review: Akeredolu Backs Return To 1963 Constitution by ogwumgbe: 7:15pm On May 26, 2021
LegendHero:

https://thenationonlineng.net/constitution-review-akeredolu-backs-return-to-1963-constitution/

Akeredolu for president, every other aspirants should back down for this man. This is the only genuine president in making in this our time, with sincere concern for the plight of the entire citizens. A true patriot indeed. Carry on sir, may God continue to give you wisdom and the strength to dismantle the status quo and take Nigeria to an unimaginable height. God bless you Sir, ethnic politics and religious affiliations in politics should go to hell as long as this man is concerned.
Re: Constitution Review: Akeredolu Backs Return To 1963 Constitution by jaxxy(m): 7:16pm On May 26, 2021
Only the Truth can set us free.
Re: Constitution Review: Akeredolu Backs Return To 1963 Constitution by ogwumgbe: 7:23pm On May 26, 2021
temitope27:
the man is sound on paper, but when u here him speak, you will just hate him, thou I lyk him small sha

Pen is stronger than words bro, not everyone is an orator. St Paul in the Bible wasn't a good speaker but his writings is the corner stone of Christianity today

1 Like

Re: Constitution Review: Akeredolu Backs Return To 1963 Constitution by temitope27(m): 7:26pm On May 26, 2021
ogwumgbe:

Pen is stronger than words bro, not everyone is an orator. St Paul in the Bible wasn't a good speaker but his writings is the corner stone of Christianity today
alright Bible scholer
Re: Constitution Review: Akeredolu Backs Return To 1963 Constitution by betwo: 7:33pm On May 26, 2021
You see,status and role work together.when you acquired status you most be able to play the role.arewa youth are lazy
Re: Constitution Review: Akeredolu Backs Return To 1963 Constitution by ogwumgbe: 7:33pm On May 26, 2021
Lazynigerian1:

Has sharia been imposed on your state?

The only places where Sharia have been imposed have been Muslim majority states. (And yes, I am opposed to sharia...especially as wee are a secular nation. )

Also, more people want states, not regions

Finally, if you want development, support leaders who will get us industrialised, not return to regions./

We don't even produce enough to satisfy one region self.

We need to region bro to enhance competition, and I tell you that if this is achieved, in just five years Nigeria will be the envy of the world since each region will compete to be the best ever

We need to region bro to enhance competition, and I tell you that if this is achieved, in just five years Nigeria will be the envy of the world since each region will compete to be the best ever
Re: Constitution Review: Akeredolu Backs Return To 1963 Constitution by ogwumgbe: 7:35pm On May 26, 2021
urchcoded:
We play too much in this country. How is going back to a 1963 constitution the best for Nigeria in the 21st century? Going back to that constitution may address basic national issues and policies, but would never address the present realities of a country in 2021 that wants to develop and compete with the rest of the world. A lot of social archaicness that needs to be abolished or upgraded is still in that 1963 constitution. If going back to the 1963 constitution is the best we can think of, then we are nothing but jokers.

Regional government is the way to go bro, anything apart from that is playing to the gallery
Re: Constitution Review: Akeredolu Backs Return To 1963 Constitution by biggy26: 7:36pm On May 26, 2021
MrMaestro:

Absolutely brilliant. This man needs to run for Oduduwa President or even Nigeria President. The only man that puts politics aside to do what's right for the people and unapologetic about it as well. May God continue to bless him.
You know what's up! He is the man.
Re: Constitution Review: Akeredolu Backs Return To 1963 Constitution by ogwumgbe: 7:38pm On May 26, 2021
abu12:

birafra people are against it right from 1963 . they still believe NIGERDELTA should be under them. they believe regional govt will not favour them without southsoth

You are talking trash, South East has big oil and gas deposit, we need not region to excel bro, even Anambra State has crude oil and very rich in oil and gas
Re: Constitution Review: Akeredolu Backs Return To 1963 Constitution by moshoodn(m): 7:42pm On May 26, 2021
Awoleesu:
For the umpteenth time, this Man should please swap titles with that cricket on Bourdillon road...

In Yoruba parlance, Asíwájú is the One leading. He takes the lead, sets the pace and rally contemporaries and folks to a point of reason. Asíwájú is not a Bullion Van dealer, not a morally bankrupt person, who only thinks about himself and his family alone! An ideal Asíwájú is altruistic!

Arákùnrin on the other hand, means just an ordinary fellow! An Arákùnrin is an insignificant personae, a day-to-day person who commands no special attention or respect! He's essentially a follower, who is not to be followed!

So, Let Aketi become Asíwáju
And Tinubu be Arákùrin.

Apt and succinct.

2 Likes

Re: Constitution Review: Akeredolu Backs Return To 1963 Constitution by Nobody: 7:44pm On May 26, 2021
ogwumgbe:

With what.?

The palm oil, groundnut, cocoa, etc that we no longer produce or produce at far less quantities than we used to produce?

The agriculture that does not produce enough for local consumption..to the point that we have to import to fill the gap.?

The mining that does not produce enough for all our needs?

The crude oil that is about to become obsolete.?

Till you Nigerians realize that we have to be productive, not sharing some naitonal cake...whether regions or no regions, there would be no prosperity.
Re: Constitution Review: Akeredolu Backs Return To 1963 Constitution by ogwumgbe: 7:51pm On May 26, 2021
Lazynigerian1:

With what.?

The palm oil, groundnut, cocoa, etc that we no longer produce or produce at far less quantities than we used to produce?

The agriculture that does not produce enough for local consumption..to the point that we have to import to fill the gap.?

The mining that does not produce enough for all our needs?

The crude oil that is about to become obsolete.?

Till you Nigerians realize that we have to be productive, not sharing some naitonal cake...whether regions or no regions, there would be no prosperity.

The status quo is the reason for being lazy. The status quo is the reason all those you mentioned were not paid attention to since everyone's eye is unblinkingly gazing at oil revenue. The palm oil you just mentioned is the main source of income of Malaysia which ironically and to the shame of this country, they took from us and developed into their main source of revenue. When we move to regional government, the issue of security will be addressed since the Bokoharam supporters will sheath their swords with the reality that they are setting their region backward if they continue to sponsor and sympathize with Bokoharam and all secessionist agitators will drop their agitation as well since regional government has indirectly given each agitator what's he's looking for
Re: Constitution Review: Akeredolu Backs Return To 1963 Constitution by Nobody: 7:56pm On May 26, 2021
ogwumgbe:

The status quo is the reason for being lazy. The status quo is the reason all those you mentioned were not paid attention to since everyone's eye is unblinkingly gazing at oil revenue. The palm oil you just mentioned is the main source of income of Malaysia which ironically and to the shame of this country, they took from us and developed into their main source of revenue. When we move to regional government, the issue of security will be addressed since the Bokoharam supporters will sheath their swords with the reality that they are setting their region backward if they continue to sponsor and sympathize with Bokoharam and all secessionist agitators will drop their agitation as well since regional government has indirectly given each agitator what's he's looking for

1.Malaysia earns from other sources than palm oil...including industries.

2.Boko HARAM will not sheath their swords with regionalism, or no regionalism, or even if Nigeria becomes a Muslim majority country. (That is the nature of fanaticsim....) That;s why they must be pounded now...we cannot wait for restructuring or whatever to do the job for us.

3.You don't think that people in NE are regretting clapping for Boko now?

4.Work within the system. Many of you prefer to be armchair critics rather than take part in democracy (I too am guilty!)
Re: Constitution Review: Akeredolu Backs Return To 1963 Constitution by ogwumgbe: 7:59pm On May 26, 2021
Lazynigerian1:

1.Malaysia earns from other sources than palm oil...including industries.

2.Boko HARAM will not sheath their swords with regionalism, or no regionalism, or even if Nigeria becomes a Muslim majority country. (That is the nature of fanaticsim....) That;s why they must be pounded now...we cannot wait for restructuring or whatever to do the job for us.

3.You don't think that people in NE are regretting clapping for Boko now?

4.Work within the system. Many of you prefer to be armchair critics rather than take part in democracy (I too am guilty!)

Well, Central government has not helped us all these years so let's try something else, then if it fails again, we have no one to blame but ourselves but I am 100% convinced that true federalism will not fail bro
Re: Constitution Review: Akeredolu Backs Return To 1963 Constitution by Deadlytruth(m): 8:01pm On May 26, 2021
ednut1:
Was Nigeria an el dorado in 1963
It was on its way to eldorado in 1963 before Ironsi shattered everything.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

US Drones Spy On Boko Haram / Fani-kayode Reacts To Planned Proscription Of Shiites By President Buhari / Fulani Herdsmen Shot Farmers In Oyo, Burnt Cashew Farm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.