Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,826 members, 7,817,410 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:48 AM

300% Fuel Hike, NLC Vows To Cripple Economy Nationwide - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 300% Fuel Hike, NLC Vows To Cripple Economy Nationwide (32242 Views)

Fuel Price Hike: NLC Is Dead, Can’t Do Anything About It – Wike / NLC Vows To Shut Down Airports, Banks, Others From Tomorrow / VAT, Electricity Tariff Hike: NLC Spoils For War (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 300% Fuel Hike, NLC Vows To Cripple Economy Nationwide by Nobody: 3:48pm On May 28, 2021
Zane2point4:

You dont have a car and u have no descent job that needs transportation if not you for not say this, by the time u buy fuel 480 to and fro frm work you'll confirm.

You must be a god, and I claim my two cents.

So we have to pay for all there incompetence?

We are paying for the incomeptence of subsidy. In debts and in over ten trillion wasted since 2006...if not more.

Why not increase minimum wages?
What happend to all the looted fund, why not use it to subsidize the products till the economy recovers.

So we should delay the beneifts of subsidy removal....job creation, more refinereis, etc....and more revenue...to icnrease minimum wage on scanty oil revenues.

You want us to take another loan?
Re: 300% Fuel Hike, NLC Vows To Cripple Economy Nationwide by freemanq(m): 3:53pm On May 28, 2021
Another Endsars like protest looming in Nigeria. @ the presidency wait for it
Re: 300% Fuel Hike, NLC Vows To Cripple Economy Nationwide by senteugene: 3:54pm On May 28, 2021
Sakamaje
Re: 300% Fuel Hike, NLC Vows To Cripple Economy Nationwide by Nobody: 3:55pm On May 28, 2021
Agbegbaorogboye:
[s][/s]
This has been severely debunked severally. I believe it's now in the realm of propaganda

Economics is not about short term beneifts that pass like the wind, it is about long term beneifts that last like the mountains..
Re: 300% Fuel Hike, NLC Vows To Cripple Economy Nationwide by KillerofbadPPLE(m): 3:55pm On May 28, 2021
Tinubuadvocate:
Government should jail any pressure groups that trying to cause havoc on the nation.
Idiot
Re: 300% Fuel Hike, NLC Vows To Cripple Economy Nationwide by tolaade1960: 3:56pm On May 28, 2021
NLC and FG should negotiate this before crippling the economy that is fragile already.
Re: 300% Fuel Hike, NLC Vows To Cripple Economy Nationwide by Dony19(m): 3:58pm On May 28, 2021
I wonder why bokoharam never drop bomb for Asorock or National Assembly �
Re: 300% Fuel Hike, NLC Vows To Cripple Economy Nationwide by Agbegbaorogboye: 3:58pm On May 28, 2021
Lazynigerian1:

Economics is not about short term beneifts that pass like the wind, it is about long term beneifts that last like the mountains..
This your definition of economics is endorsed by who?
Never heard of it
Re: 300% Fuel Hike, NLC Vows To Cripple Economy Nationwide by emmnprince(m): 4:04pm On May 28, 2021
Lazynigerian1:

Well, deregulation or as I call it, subsidy removal, will lead to high prices of fuel which would lead to high profits, which would lead to more investment which would lead to more money to fix old refinereis and build new ones.

Also, subsidsing fuel prevents the kind of profits being made that would have enabled refienreis to be fixed...since the price control aspect of subsidy means prices are kept too low to allow refienreis to be run profitably(for example...NNPC forces its refienreis to refine fuel below the actual cost so as to afford subsidy)

A busienss that cannot run at a profit would break down

QED

You've not answered my question. Is it because the fuel price at the international market dropped and having an adverse effect on Nigeria's foreign reserves and economy that now prompted the government (state governors, to be specific) to suggest for complete subsidy removal on PMS?

We all know that their suggestion was as a result of dwindling state allocation from the central (and their inability to think outside the box to generate or source for funds).

You and I know that Nigerian Government's organisations are not operated as profit organisations.

Tell me, when the economy and cost of living was better in past administrations, why didn't they remove subsidy on PMS? There shouldn't be a subsidy on petroleum products in the first place from inception if our leaders had vision and good sense of governance.

You explore oil in your country, take large amount explored to foreign lands to refine, and bring it back to sell to your citizens while subsidizing the price! Does this make sense? What stop us from refining it ourselves, consuming what we can consume and export to make profit!

Well, that is foolishness on the part of our past leaders, nevertheless, this is not the right time to remove subsidy as it will tell more on the masses (common man) without any concrete plan to cushion the effect.

3 Likes

Re: 300% Fuel Hike, NLC Vows To Cripple Economy Nationwide by matori(m): 4:04pm On May 28, 2021
Abeg NLC still dey?Just asking ooooooo.
Re: 300% Fuel Hike, NLC Vows To Cripple Economy Nationwide by BENCHILE(m): 4:05pm On May 28, 2021
Why are these people who call themselves leaders are so heartless and have nothing reasonable to offer? What are we really benefiting from these people as Nigerians? Why are these people so wicked and heartless? Why can't they fix our refineries and stop this nonsense? This is the worst country human being can live on. Wicked and selfish politicians that only care for themselves and their family
Re: 300% Fuel Hike, NLC Vows To Cripple Economy Nationwide by AdolfHitlerxXx: 4:09pm On May 28, 2021
PrinceOfLagos:
Which NLC

The ones that ha teeth but cannot bite?

Ori gbogboyin ti daru

NLC ko APC ni

Igbo boy.. speak your language don't be ashamed of it.

Why take Yoruba as colonial masters after British?

Stand firm and promote your culture, don't b the slave of anyone.

Re: 300% Fuel Hike, NLC Vows To Cripple Economy Nationwide by BENCHILE(m): 4:11pm On May 28, 2021
They should just try it and see what this country will turn into. Why are they wasting time? Is even the right time to breakup this Godforsaken and useless country
Re: 300% Fuel Hike, NLC Vows To Cripple Economy Nationwide by Nobody: 4:16pm On May 28, 2021
emmnprince:

You've not answered my question. Is it because the fuel price at the international market dropped and having an adverse effect on Nigeria's foreign reserves and economy that now prompted the government (state governors, to be specific) to suggest for complete subsidy removal on PMS?

Exactly. Same reason why GEJ and before him Obasanjo and even IBB wanted to remove subsides completely.

We all know that their suggestion was as a result of dwindling state allocation from the central (and their inability to think outside the box to generate or source for funds).

Exactly. They should. But even if this APC government could somewhow miraculosuly do as you ask....the fact is, subsidy cost is not static....it keeps on rising and eating money. And Nigeria has a lot of other issues that needs money ...and FYI...we don't subsidse only fuel...

Plus, one of the ways we can raise money for subsidy is by widening the tax base, and raising taxes. (30% OF TAXABLE nIGERIANS PAY Taxes..most don't.). That is even more unpopular.

You and I know that Nigerian Government's organisations are not operated as profit organisations

NNPC should be. It's not being operated for profit is why corruption and bad refienreis proliferate there..

Tell me, when the economy and cost of living was better in past administrations, why didn't they remove subsidy on PMS? There shouldn't be a subsidy on petroleum products in the first place from inception if our leaders had vision and good sense of governance.

GEJ wanted to remove subsidy , Obasanjo too wanted to remove subsidy as did IBB. Nigerians said no. Most Nigerian governments past and present wanted to get rid of subsidies. Nigerians have always said no...plus the side effect of short term food price icnreases scares them

You explore oil in your country, take large amount explored to foreign lands to refine, and bring it back to sell to your citizens while subsidizing the price! Does this make sense? What stop us from refining it ourselves, consuming what we can consume and export to make profit!

We began subsidsing fuel in the late 1980s...by keeping the price of fuel below the cost of its production. This led to our refiners being run unproductively, which meant they lost money, and which meant they did not have enough to fix themseves or do upgrades...which is what led us to be imprting refined fuel mostly by 2011.

You run at a loss...you reap the 'benefits' of running at a loss.

Well, that is foolishness on the part of our past leaders, nevertheless, this is not the right time to remove subsidy as it will tell more on the masses (common man) without any concrete plan to cushion the effect.

I am no fan of any Nigerian governments past or present...but I used to be a subsidy supporter till the information put out by the GEJ admin put some sense into my head. And I'll say this...if we had removed subsidies in 2012.....by now we would have SAVED money and after the intial period of high prices from 2012-16...the benefiots would have come in.

If we had listened in 1993....we would have been enjoying the benefits a lot sooner...and we would have been the ones exporting refined fuel.

Niger has no fuel subsidy. Fuel costs N350 per liter there. And as a result they have cash to feed their refienrry...which has helped them to even be exporting fuel to several African countries.

Also, countries that have subsides fund them via taxes. Not via oil revenue.

1 Like

Re: 300% Fuel Hike, NLC Vows To Cripple Economy Nationwide by bizhop01: 4:18pm On May 28, 2021
When change is surplus cool
Re: 300% Fuel Hike, NLC Vows To Cripple Economy Nationwide by Keesymictana: 4:22pm On May 28, 2021
NLC are just looking for moni jare
Where NLC dey since from 145 to where it's na
Re: 300% Fuel Hike, NLC Vows To Cripple Economy Nationwide by Nobody: 4:38pm On May 28, 2021
Disband the civil service and maintain a few staff for revenue generation.
Re: 300% Fuel Hike, NLC Vows To Cripple Economy Nationwide by FutureHNDRxXx: 4:45pm On May 28, 2021
I really dont understand why will still have to import fuel, why not ask allow our 9ja delta folks cook the crude oil and distil petrol themselves to save us this drama? We only just have to make it safer cause in dire situation like what happens to thinking outside the box ?
Re: 300% Fuel Hike, NLC Vows To Cripple Economy Nationwide by Shollay20(m): 4:49pm On May 28, 2021
Lazynigerian1:

When will it be the right time.

In 2012, they told us it was not the right time.

iN 2006 they told us it was not the right time

In 1993, they told us it was not the right time

So, when will it be the right time? When Nigeria has emptied its treasury compeltely to feed the subsidy monster? When we run our entire budget on nothing but loans. ? When all the refienreis are down and scrap...Dangote included?

Time we took hard decisions. This has nothing to do with poltics...I don't support any party, or this government...and everything to do with the National Interest.
thing too cost.
Re: 300% Fuel Hike, NLC Vows To Cripple Economy Nationwide by Angelmichael63: 4:57pm On May 28, 2021
I just wish ASUU can replace NLC in this country.

WHY ARE OUR LEADERS SO HEARTLESS?

BUT IN ALL NIGERIA WILL BE GREAT ONE DAY
Re: 300% Fuel Hike, NLC Vows To Cripple Economy Nationwide by Dr3619(f): 4:59pm On May 28, 2021
God please pass through this country. Have pity on the masses. 300% fuel increase again? How will masses survive this?
Re: 300% Fuel Hike, NLC Vows To Cripple Economy Nationwide by tobatele(m): 5:16pm On May 28, 2021
Do we still have NLC in this country?

1 Like

Re: 300% Fuel Hike, NLC Vows To Cripple Economy Nationwide by Owologbo(m): 5:28pm On May 28, 2021
dre11:
…says no current negotiation with FG on price increase

…threatens to reactivate suspended Kaduna strike

https://www.newtelegraphng.com/300-fuel-hike-nlc-vows-to-cripple-economy-nationwide-2/
Rubbish and NLC.
They increased fuel price and promised to rehabilitate the refineries within six months from the money been saved from fuel subsidy removal; that price of fuel will drop.
After six months and years; nothing positive happened to the refineries.
You kept quiet only to be making noice no.
NLC, the present government and their supporters de ment.
Re: 300% Fuel Hike, NLC Vows To Cripple Economy Nationwide by Owologbo(m): 5:31pm On May 28, 2021
Lazynigerian1:
At the end of the day oil subsidy has to go

The falling oil price means there is no cash to.subsidse crude.

And NNPC is tired of running at a loss to subsidise fuel

Either oil subsidy goes or we keep begging imf for more loans

MODIFIED

With all respect, anyone who wishes to understand why I support subsidy removal should read about why sbsides are bad for a country first.

There is a reason why I support subsidy removal, and it has nothing to do with poltics or with my wishing Nigerians suffer.
how many times will they remove subsidy?
I'm sure they have removed subsidy for more than once.

1 Like

Re: 300% Fuel Hike, NLC Vows To Cripple Economy Nationwide by Nobody: 5:33pm On May 28, 2021
dre11:
…says no current negotiation with FG on price increase

…threatens to reactivate suspended Kaduna strike

https://www.newtelegraphng.com/300-fuel-hike-nlc-vows-to-cripple-economy-nationwide-2/

Audio Crippling, Make una find one corner go sit. Useless Veefoool.....grin grin grin

Re: 300% Fuel Hike, NLC Vows To Cripple Economy Nationwide by kissdabride: 5:37pm On May 28, 2021
Tinubuadvocate:
Government should jail any pressure groups that trying to cause havoc on the nation.
uninformed nincompoop
Re: 300% Fuel Hike, NLC Vows To Cripple Economy Nationwide by poiZon: 5:40pm On May 28, 2021
Iyiataata92:

I know bro,. But 86 to 145 was the biggest single leap and should have drawn the ire of the NLC. But it didn't
Nlc did something, they went on strike..
Oshomole who is an idiotic hypocrite, brought another faction headed by one tuc president, trying to recall his name, elevated him to nlc president, they wenton counter protest...
The whole thing lost steam.
We needed strong men in nigeria so let the strong men build the country for us.
Re: 300% Fuel Hike, NLC Vows To Cripple Economy Nationwide by kissdabride: 5:40pm On May 28, 2021
Lazynigerian1:

MODIFIED

With all respect, anyone who wishes to understand why I support subsidy removal should read about why sbsides are bad for a country first.

There is a reason why I support subsidy removal, and it has nothing to do with poltics or with my wishing Nigerians suffer.
Subsidy removal was the first thing this clueless regime did by increasing fuel from 85 to 134 so how many time are they going to removed subsidy
Re: 300% Fuel Hike, NLC Vows To Cripple Economy Nationwide by kissdabride: 5:43pm On May 28, 2021
Lazynigerian1:

MODIFIED

But if buahri is sincere then you are on point
Re: 300% Fuel Hike, NLC Vows To Cripple Economy Nationwide by Kwunume: 5:50pm On May 28, 2021
If NLC leadership can take their stand like JUSUN leadership the government cannot be takings us for fools.
Re: 300% Fuel Hike, NLC Vows To Cripple Economy Nationwide by AfonjaConehead: 6:12pm On May 28, 2021
AdolfHitlerxXx:

Igbo boy.. speak your language don't be ashamed of it.

Why take Yoruba as colonial masters after British?

Stand firm and promote your culture, don't b the slave of anyone.

Sifia pains. grin
Re: 300% Fuel Hike, NLC Vows To Cripple Economy Nationwide by nedekid: 6:27pm On May 28, 2021
Lazynigerian1:

MODIFIED

When you increase the fuel price, it causes inflation, naira looses value, then in few months time you will have to claim to be paying subsidy on petrol again and again, a vicious circle?
Make it 350 per liter and I bet you in 6 months it will become 600 per liter.
Make it 1k and in few months they will claim subsidy is being paid!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Muslim-Muslim Ticket: Christians Protest Against Shettima In Front Of Aso Rock / PENGASSAN Confirms Return Of Fuel Subsidy Under Tinubu / Dr Bukola Saraki Has emerged the new Opposition Leader

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.