Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,842 members, 7,820,934 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:53 AM

New Power Sharing Arrangement: Pdp’s Zoning Knocks Off South-west Zone - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / New Power Sharing Arrangement: Pdp’s Zoning Knocks Off South-west Zone (3229 Views)

Jonathan’s Camp Kicks Over 2019 PDP Zoning / APC NWC Meets In Abuja Over Power Sharing & Formation Of New Government / South-West Zone Won’t Vote For Buhari - Sule Lamido (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

New Power Sharing Arrangement: Pdp’s Zoning Knocks Off South-west Zone by Chyz2: 6:41am On May 01, 2011
[size=15pt]New Power Sharing Arrangement: PDP’s zoning knocks off South-West zone[/size]

On May 1, 2011 · · In Special Reports

This report explores why South-West geo-political zone may not feature prominently in the emerging zoning arrangement of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP. With the least number of legislators at the National Assembly, the zone is not solidly positioned to pitch for either the Speaker’s position or those of either the Senate President or Deputy Senate President. This is the emerging reality that leaders of the party in the South-West have to contend with. On a bigger scale, how would the PDP re-arrange its zoning formula to contain the plethora of disparate interests, while not hurting sensibilities in the run up to the 2015 elections.

By Jide Ajani, Editor,
Northern Operations

It hit Chief Olabode George like a thunderbolt; and he never forgave Olusegun Obasanjo, then President and Commander-in-Chief.

It was in the build up to the handover ceremony of May 29, 2007. George, Obasanjo’s Man Friday, who had played a significant role in the presidential campaign of late Umaru Musa YarÁdua, was cruising home to becoming the national chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP. It was an internal arrangement which, though unwritten, was obvious to all. George was also banking on the relationship which had existed between him and the senior General Shehu Musa Yar’Adua, with whom George had worked during the preparations for the 1977 Festival of Black Arts and Culture, FESTAC – George had worked on a sub-committee with the senior Yar’Adua in charge and a relationship was struck. With that relationship, George, sensing that an Umaru as President and leader of the PDP would not be averse to his becoming the national chairman of the PDP, felt comfortable and saw no need to fret.
Alas, Obasanjo had another agenda.

As the supreme leader of the PDP, he whimsically re-ordered the emerging zoning arrangement in the party. He swung the Speaker’s seat to the South West and gave the party chairmanship to the South East. It was his own way of re-paying a loyal member of the House of Representatives, not even from his own Ogun State. Patricia Etteh, from Osun State, was primed for the Speaker’s seat and Obasanjo, even after he had left office, pulled all the stops to hand her the seat. That was how the South-West zone ended up with the number four position after Obasanjo from the same zone had used up the presidential slot for eight years.

Today, the people from the South-West are in for a rough time.
Reason: The last elections, specifically the national legislative elections, saw the zone performing woefully when compared with other zones.

For that reason, any meaningful zoning arrangement within the PDP, according to party insiders, consigns the zone to the position of either chairmanship of the party or Secretary to the Government of the Federation.

The six slots open for grabs are:

President and Commander-in-Chief – South-South

Vice President – North-West

Senate President – North-Central

Speaker, House of Representatives – South-West

Chairman of PDP – South-East

Secretary to the Government of the Federation – North-East

The present arrangement would have to be tinkered with.

In the case of the South-West and its previous hold on the speakership, that would change.
The National Assembly elections have demystified the claim of the PDP as having a strong footing in the South- West and, by extension, any form of relevance in the PDP.

The offices of president and vice president remain where they are.
But the Senate President’s position, which presently is in the North-Central, may remain there for the purpose of continuity.

And whereas the South-East held the office of the Senate President while another southerner, Obasanjo, was President and Commander-in-Chief, the experience of Nigerians in the hands of South Easterners remain fresh – every state in the zone produced a Senate President in eight years because of the crises of attrition that ensued. Evan(s) Enwerem, Chuba Okadigbo, Anyim Pius Anyim, Adolphus Wabara and Ken Nnamani from Imo, Anambra, Ebonyi, Abia and Enugu States, respectively all served the slot of the zone within eight years. This creates a possible knock off effect for a possible return of the seat to the South-East particularly, not because of the attrition but, because the incumbent, David Mark, enjoys the confidence of President Jonathan. The North-Central zone also stood behind
Jonathan but for Nasarawa State which was lost to the Congress for Progressive Change, CPC. The South-West PDP has only a Senate seat and it is not ranking.

For now, the chairmanship of the PDP resides in the South East.

Even at that, Abia State, from whence Chief Vincent Ogbulafor hails, has served its turn while Enugu State, with Dr.
Okwesilieze Nwodo, has also served its turn.

It may be left in the hands of the leaders of the zone to demand a return of the slot to the zone or opt for the number four position of Speaker of the House of Representatives.

In terms of the slot for the position of Secretary to the Government of the Federation, the North-East, with Alhaji Yayale Ahmed, holds sway. With his commitment and his decision to stay course and lean towards Jonathan in the heady days of late President Yar’Adua’s health crisis, the North-East may have to contend with Ahmed’s pre-eminence as a solo occupier.

This is because his firm grip on the office and manifest commitment to Jonathan may cause the slot to be retained in the zone because of his person.

If that happens, the South-West would be at the mercy of whatever the South-East leaders want between the offices of the national chairman and that of the Speaker, House of Representatives.
Interestingly, between the speakership and the chairmanship positions, the South-West zone can not lay serious claim.

The reason is because in the House of Representatives, the zone would have the least number of members and, therefore, would lack the moral turpitude to stand on firm ground.

If the zone is offered the national chairmanship, the same scenario plays out – a national chairman whose zone produced the least membership support for the party.

Just as it was during the Second Republic when the National Party of Nigeria, NPN, held sway at the centre, its national chairman, Chief Augustus Meredith Adisa Akinloye, did not enjoy the popular mandate from the Yoruba-speaking western part of Nigeria where the Unity Party of Nigeria, UPN, was in charge. But Adisa, being a tactful politician, held his own in national politics.

Today, who in the South West Zone, has such demonstrable political sagacity to occupy the position of national chairman?

Well, there are two former state governors who fit the bill: Otunba Gbenga Daniel of Ogun State, Chief Olagunsoye Oyinlola, formerly of Osun State and Governor Alao Akala of Oyo State. And whereas there is Segun Oni, formerly of Ekit State, the chairmanship position may console the South-West.

But all these would require serious horse-trading as the permutations would have to be considered with or without prejudiced to the 2015 general elections. That year, especially within the context of President Jonathan’s promise not to seek re-election, the South-East zone would have to be very tactical in its approach, just as the North-Central and North-East zones would have to weigh the options open to them – the North-West produced the late Yar’Adua, albeit, short lived.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/05/new-power-sharing-arrangementpdp%E2%80%99s-zoning-knocks-off-south-west-zone/
Re: New Power Sharing Arrangement: Pdp’s Zoning Knocks Off South-west Zone by aljharem(m): 7:06am On May 01, 2011
good cool
Re: New Power Sharing Arrangement: Pdp’s Zoning Knocks Off South-west Zone by ektbear: 7:06am On May 01, 2011
So be it. If this is what must be sacrificed for good governance in the SW, then fine by me.
Re: New Power Sharing Arrangement: Pdp’s Zoning Knocks Off South-west Zone by HamidO1(m): 7:38am On May 01, 2011
Who cares?? dem go fear opposition this time. If you talk anyhow, the likes of Ngige will fix you. Of what importance was the speaker of house of Rep (Bankole) to his people. Mtscheeew.
Re: New Power Sharing Arrangement: Pdp’s Zoning Knocks Off South-west Zone by Gbawe: 8:14am On May 01, 2011
Abeg who cares? Those who keep up would know that the ACN has already predicted this. They have stated that their model of focusing on progress at State level , while a "business as usual" centre exist , is the best .  The folks of the SW showed they concurred with the ACN's reasoning because we can now[b] clearly[/b] see through the rudimentary ruse of supporting the PDP so that "our sons can be part of those who control Nigeria" .

We have rejected the model of having SW folks in influential[b] federal positions[/b] ( eg Bankole, Teslim Folarin et al) , in place of our region suffering underdevelopment and regression through PDP criminal misrulers, because we have seen that when so called SW "sons" occupied influential positions they did not use it to benefit Nigeria let alone the SW.  Rather they disappointed us with how they pandered to the leadership model of the PDP that relies on Party members contributing to the effort to use most of Nigeria's resources to maintain a few self-designated "owners of Nigeria" while the majority of Nigerians were condemned to poverty and misery.  Bankole is a classic example of a promising young South Westerner ruined by a rapacious and vacuous centre that is not ideologically sound and developmental. He may be in politics to steal but had he met a core of goodness and ideoligical goodwill on the ground then he may have performed better. Let us remember that man is an animal who will behave badly , even in the most sophisticated environment, if effective deterrents do not exist to check his excesses .

Tufiaka to a discredited model. Success at the State level is what matters to Nigerians because , after all is said and done , we are all concerned with progress in our respective States more than anything else.
Re: New Power Sharing Arrangement: Pdp’s Zoning Knocks Off South-west Zone by HamidO1(m): 8:48am On May 01, 2011
^^ Bros, that your signature is no longer possible. I'm glad I voted the guy though. Why not try mine or modify mine to your taste. cheesy
Re: New Power Sharing Arrangement: Pdp’s Zoning Knocks Off South-west Zone by Gbawe: 8:56am On May 01, 2011
alj harem:

good cool

My brother , even with your mischief , I consider you a person on the side of all Nigerians . I think you mean well for all regions also because at different stages you have argued the corner of every region in Nigeria. To that extent I will urge you to bear with the SW and see where everyone is in 4 years. We have become disillusioned with the centre controlled by the PDP. That is not our fault because we see how some , their children, minions  and associates have stupendous wealth while the general population remains in abject poverty. Indeed we would be fools and 'Eran Iya' (glutton for punishment ) if we do not reject the inhuman leadership model of the PDP. The message seems to be that join us , the PDP, in ra.ping Nigeria or enjoy your poverty. We the folks of the SW reject that blackmail that is not cognisant of what we need to achieve , as a Nation, to faciliate progress and a continued existence that will not see us succumb to what has obtained in Tunisia and Egypt recently.

Things can work out two ways .

(1) The PDP can cut us out of important legislative position and embrace merit in appointing from its own Party . We are fine with that because leaders chosen via merit should , in theory , not be vengeful . I would expect them to work for the betterment of Nigeria. Even if not from the SW we would then expect those individuals chosen on merit to promote bills that move all of Nigeria forward. The SW still wins even if we are not in important legislative positions.

(2) The PDP can cut us out of important legislative positions and embrace its "business as usual" policies of appointing folks like Mark, Ekweremadu and Bankole to important legislative positions . We all know the histories of these men as folks who aggrandize themselves copiously  through direct corruption and via killing/watering down progressive bills so that them and their 'buddies' and "stakeholder" paymasters grow filthy rich while Nigerians remain dirt poor.

We all know it was Mark and Bankole , before Falana sued them, who attempted to change electoral laws so that the court no longer has the power to remove election riggers all in an effort to aid PDP control and dominance. It is David Mark who is working directly to water-down the FOI bill so it is a skeleton of its original conception that resembles what obtains Worldwide.

We also know it is Ekweremadu who called PIB protestors "charlatans" simply because those patriotic Nigerians wanted the expedited passage of a purist PIB bill. I think we all know the importance of the PIB and I think we all know the legislators , from a specific Party , who impede its expedited passage in a purist form. If Scenario 2 holds , then all the SW wins and the rest of Nigeria stagnates . It is as simple as that and Lagos bears this out with Chime, Ameachi and a few others paying homage to the principles that , while an insincere and rapacious centre exist that is not dedicated to progress, focus must remain on State progress as a viable alternative to move Nigeria forward while the FG continues to make itself an impediment to Nigeria's progress.

Either way , the SW wins.
Re: New Power Sharing Arrangement: Pdp’s Zoning Knocks Off South-west Zone by Gbawe: 9:01am On May 01, 2011
Hamid O:

^^ Bros, that your signature is no longer possible. I'm glad I voted the guy though. Why not try mine or modify mine to your taste. cheesy

Amended . While I like your signature , I think we should focus on today .
Re: New Power Sharing Arrangement: Pdp’s Zoning Knocks Off South-west Zone by dayokanu(m): 9:07am On May 01, 2011
Who cares about the useless PDP positions
Re: New Power Sharing Arrangement: Pdp’s Zoning Knocks Off South-west Zone by meine: 9:19am On May 01, 2011
Am amazed with the way some PDP leaning Nigerians think. For God's sake what can a speaker or senate president do for his region apart from filling their bank accts?

Pls mention projects that were done by Dimeji Bankole and David Mark and I will call u barawo. Even the likes of oyedepo,Afe Babalola and many ordinary Nigerians have brought good projects to their various states and impacted lives positively than these fellas, what have these ones done apart from buying torch lights,LCD screens and fighting agidigbo with Dino Melaye?

For me am rili happy that SW will get none of these posts. Because the PDP will be forced to pass the correct bills and they will be debated on all issues, I can guarantee you that.

I don't care if the SS fill all the available posts as far as they are honest and am given the basic amenities I need for my life.
And untill Nigeria begins to think beyond the Zoning mess by putting competent Nigerians in various posts irrespective of tribe, we will never progress.
Re: New Power Sharing Arrangement: Pdp’s Zoning Knocks Off South-west Zone by aljharem(m): 9:23am On May 01, 2011
Gbawe:

My brother , even with your mischief , I consider you a person on the side of all Nigerians . I think you mean well for all regions also because at different stages you have argued the corner of every region in Nigeria. To that extent I will urge you to bear with the SW and see where everyone is in 4 years. We have become disillusioned with the centre controlled by the PDP. That is not our fault because we see how some , their children, minions  and associates have stupendous wealth while the general population remains in abject poverty. Indeed we would be fools and 'Eran Iya' (glutton for punishment ) if we do not reject the inhuman leadership model of the PDP. The message seems to be that join us , the PDP, in ra.ping Nigeria or enjoy your poverty. We the folks of the SW reject that blackmail that is not cognisant of what we need to achieve , as a Nation, to faciliate progress and a continued existence that will not see us succumb to what has obtained in Tunisia and Egypt recently.

Things can work out two ways .

(1) The PDP can cut us out of important legislative position and embrace merit in appointing from its own Party . We are fine with that because leaders chosen via merit should , in theory , not be vengeful . I would expect them to work for the betterment of Nigeria. Even if not from the SW we would then expect those individuals chosen on merit to promote bills that move all of Nigeria forward. The SW still wins even if we are not in important legislative positions.

(2) The PDP can cut us out of important legislative positions and embrace its "business as usual" policies of appointing folks like Mark, Ekweremadu and Bankole to important legislative positions . We all know the histories of these men as folks who aggrandize themselves copiously  through direct corruption and via killing/watering down progressive bills so that them and their 'buddies' and "stakeholder" paymasters grow filthy rich while Nigerians remain dirt poor.

We all know it was Mark and Bankole , before Falana sued them, who attempted to change electoral laws so that the court no longer has the power to remove election riggers all in an effort to aid PDP control and dominance. It is David Mark who is working directly to water-down the FOI bill so it is a skeleton of its original conception that resembles what obtains Worldwide.

We also know it is Ekweremadu who called PIB protestors "charlatans" simply because those patriotic Nigerians wanted the expedited passage of a purist PIB bill. I think we all know the importance of the PIB and I think we all know the legislators , from a specific Party , who impede its expedited passage in a purist form. If Scenario 2 holds , then all the SW wins and the rest of Nigeria stagnates . It is as simple as that and Lagos bears this out with Chime, Ameachi and a few others paying homage to the principles that , while an insincere and rapacious centre exist that is not dedicated to progress, focus must remain on State progress as a viable alternative to move Nigeria forward while the FG continues to make itself an impediment to Nigeria's progress.

Either way , the SW wins.
shocked shocked shocked shocked grin grin grin grin

Gbawe of havard see grammar wey u use for your padi, i said good because i was happy for the SW

how i wish the north was like this, in all honesty, i am glad for the SW

i have already seen the move, don't worry cool
Re: New Power Sharing Arrangement: Pdp’s Zoning Knocks Off South-west Zone by Afam4eva(m): 9:39am On May 01, 2011
PDP can go to hell with their zoning arrangement. How exactly does appointing from a region bring positive development to a region. I think the political suicide that the south-west has commited by choosing CAN as the party of choice will benefit them in the long run. There will be more cooperation like never before.
Re: New Power Sharing Arrangement: Pdp’s Zoning Knocks Off South-west Zone by Gbawe: 9:42am On May 01, 2011
alj harem:

shocked shocked shocked shocked grin grin grin grin

Gbawe of havard see grammar wey u use for your padi, i said good because i was happy for the SW

how i wish the north was like this, in all honesty, i am glad for the SW cool

Man mi , I apologise. It seems I misunderstand you . This is only because in other threads you seem to insinuate that the SW have lost out by kicking the ruling Party out.

As per the North, I think the region will be fine . The North is still very well represented as per ratio of political positions held . What is important is that the region gain leaders , bereft of overwhelming ego and vanity, who will put the people first.

Folks like IBB are always clamouring to rule yet one can ask what they do with their vast wealth for the majority 'talakawas when not in power.  folks like IBB, Atiku et al are always positioning themselves to be the voice of the North when they have never led by examples to show selfless devotion to the betterment of the lives of others. It is time the North begins to look at men like Col.Umar, Ribadu et al for leadership. The North must learn to get behind its refined and well-exposed men and women who don't need to promote the principles of painting other Nigerians as "enemies" and "infidels" to gain support. In short the North needs bridge builders and the article below highlights this:

http://www.osundefender.org/?p=15909

What next for the North?

The first challenge for the core North is to be part of the healing process of President Goodluck Jonathan by reuniting with the rest part of the country to pursue common goals of a united and one nation. The events since April 16 presidential election have created deeper suspicion for the core North by both the South and the minorities in the North and if care is not taken, a new political alliance/conspiracy may emerge between Southerners and Northern minorities to keep Hausa-Fulani out of power for a while. Although the North is looking forward to power shift in 2015, the new power bloc (the South and Northern minorities) may still play the number game and whip up equal opportunity sentiments to concede the presidency to either the South-East or a Northern minority.

Ex-Vice-President Atiku Abubakar has already subscribed to this post-election healing process when on Friday he said: “In view of the unfortunate and misguided post-election violence that greeted the election in certain parts of the country, President Jonathan should begin an urgent healing process in the entire country and also within his own Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) family.”

The need to replace old brigade politicians by young Northern Turks. The remnants of the old brigade politicians in the North appear to be the albatross of this politically sophisticated region. While acting under the pretext of preserving the legacies of the late Premier of the North, Sir Ahmadu Bello, these old and tired hands still live in the past which was dominated by ethnic and religious sentiments. Unfortunately, they still commanded mass loyalty, during the elections, from the army of unemployed youths and hangers-on in the North.

Despite the fact that the North voted against violence during the governorship poll, a new generation of cosmopolitan politicians ought to emerge not only to protect the interest of the North but to build bridges across the Niger. In their heyday, the likes of a former Head of State, Gen. Yakubu Gowon, Mallam Adamu Ciroma, ex-President Ibrahim Babangida, ex-Vice-President Atiku Abubakar, Gen. Theophillus Danjuma, Gen. Aliyu Gusau, ex-IGP, Mohammed Dikko Yusuf and ex-Minister Nasir el-Rufai, had championed this culture of bridge-building nationwide until ethnic emotion overwhelmed them during the countdown to the just-concluded general elections.

But a few Northern leaders can still cast the first stone and effect generational change in the leadership of the region. These are leaders like ex-Head of State, Gen. Abdul Salami Abubakar, Vice-president Namadi Sambo, business mogul, Aliko Dangote; a former National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party, Chief Audu Ogbeh; ex-presidential candidate, Ibrahim Shekarau ,ex-EFCC chairman, Mallam Nuhu Ribadu, the President of the Senate, Chief David Mark, ex-Chairman of the Arewa Consultative Forum, Gen. I.B.M. Haruna, Col. Abubakar Dangiwa Umar(rtd), Governors Bukola Saraki, Sule Lamido and Danjuma Goje, and ex-Governor Ahmed Makarfi among others.

In fact, of all the leaders, Abdul Salami distinguished himself as a courageous leader. Not minding a backlash from the North, Gen. Abdul Salami said: “The recent post election violence that erupted in some Northern states in the country is most idiotic and uncalled for. I don’t know what people want to gain from killing others when they have a better way to fight their cause by going to court if they feel aggrieved.”

A social scientist, Dr. Abdullahi Mamman, said: “The North needs a new face to project its image as a hospitable and accommodating region. The old forces need to give way to a new set of leaders that can assert the place of the North in this millennium.”

Addressing the perpetual culture of violence in the North. Since the advent of democracy in 1999, the North has lost much to violence than it has reaped its dividends. According to a Brussels-based International Crisis Group, over 14,000 people died in ethnic and religious clashes in Nigeria between 1999 and 2009.

And the latest post-election violence has confirmed that the North is a tinder-box because of over 10 million kids on the streets (Almajiris). These street kids are always at the beck and call of desperate politicians and religious bigots. This explains why some politicians took advantage of the Almajiris to perpetrate post-election violence. Worried by the development and following a proposal from the Universal Basic Education Commission, the Federal Government in 2009 sent an 11-man team, including Christians, to Indonesia to understudy Indonesian Madrasa (combined Islamic and Western school method) system to give a comprehensive education to these Almajiris. But most state governments in the North have only paid lip service to the plight of these Almajiris who go by different names in Kano, Bauchi, Borno, Kaduna, Jigawa, to perpetrate violence.

In an interview with a national daily on violence in the North, Rev. Fr. Mathew Hassan Kukah said: “I think leaders in Northern Nigeria must ask themselves why their area has become combustible. A lot of these characters who are causing this problem in the North have no basic education.

“We have a reservoir of almost 12 to 15 million young people in northern Nigeria who are members of the Almajiri and who have nothing to do. This is why when people talk about trying those who are responsible for all these burnings and so on… have you ever found somebody who is working in a bank going to burn a church or going to burn a mosque? Have you found anybody who has a job and is educated going to burn a church or mosque?

“Let me tell you, these are street urchins who don’t know what life is and who don’t have value for their lives. Those people, unfortunately, exist only in northern Nigeria. So, the question the North must ask itself is how is it that it has managed to end up with this kind of nonsense. The population of the Almajiri in northern Nigeria is more than the population of many African countries. In an environment where there are no industries, nothing is happening, except that this country is producing Almajiri and an endless number of stealing elites, who don’t even know how to steal and apply the proceeds of their theft to some meaningful development.”

Mass enlightenment. The post-election violence underscored the imperative for mass enlightenment in the North. Most of those involved did not appreciate the beauty of democracy which borders on winning, losing and going to court to seek redress where any result is disputed. The killings of corps members, who were impartial electoral officers, amounted to a mere transfer of aggression.

Early jostle for 2015?Going back to the drawing board. All hope is not lost for the North as its leaders need to go back to the drawing board to plan early enough for 2015 in terms of rapprochement with other geopolitical zones, shopping for the right and qualitative presidential candidate and the right platform, being cohesive, and taking advantage of its numerical strength. The North is blessed with an array of self-less and sound leaders but it needs to work hard and rise above partisanship to give these young elements a chance to prove their mettle.

The NPLF, which has refused to condemn the violence in the North till date, might still serve as a tool for holding Jonathan administration accountable on his pledges to transform the country within four years.

With a pledge of one term in office and unwritten commitment to some Northern leaders/Emirs by Jonathan to ensure power shift to the North in 2015, the region can bounce back in four years. But it has to reassure Nigerians of its commitment to the unity and indivisibility of the nation.

The only caveat is that with a good homework, the North may reclaim its mandate in 2015 and use advantage of its numerical strength never to allow power shift to other parts again. The leaders of other zones are also watching the political pendulum swinging in the North.
Re: New Power Sharing Arrangement: Pdp’s Zoning Knocks Off South-west Zone by Gbawe: 10:01am On May 01, 2011
afam4eva:

PDP can go to hell with their zoning arrangement. How exactly does appointing from a region bring positive development to a region. I think the political suicide that the south-west has commited by choosing CAN as the party of choice will benefit them in the long run. There will be more cooperation like never before.

well stated. I rate , highly, Nigerians who see the big picture. No Nigerian region , as long as our Nation , even if only in name, remains the federal republic Nigeria, should be deliberately punished for making electoral choices . It is madness to think a people must be punished , by a vengeful centre, because of how they voted. That notion defies the very essence of democracy.

Let the PDP lead well at the centre and everyone will be fine. The tenure of David Mark, Ekweremadu, Bankole, Teslim folarin et al was very poor for Nigeria. A huge disappointment full of stagnation and unacceptable legislative lethargy and indolence . Folks from the region of these men can celebrate having "their son" in power but the reality is that "their Sons" are mediocre individuals who failed to move Nigeria forward . I would rather have someone else's son in charge (wherever he is from) secure in the knowledge that , first and foremost, he is a good man dedicated to moving Nigeria forward.
Re: New Power Sharing Arrangement: Pdp’s Zoning Knocks Off South-west Zone by Ibime(m): 10:52am On May 01, 2011
All these rubbish zoning arguments. Zoning is based solely on the premise of dividing the National cake
Re: New Power Sharing Arrangement: Pdp’s Zoning Knocks Off South-west Zone by Gbawe: 11:23am On May 01, 2011
Ibime:

All these rubbish zoning arguments. Zoning is based solely on the premise of dividing the National cake

Indeed and I think the SW region has recognised this also . Hence the reason they voted the way they did. The PDP can zone the senate presidency to any region they want. As long as it is not a good and deserving Nigerian who gets the positions then all our argument here is merely academic because everything , for most regions of Nigeria, will remain "business as usual".

The North Central should tell us what they gained from having their "son" as Senate president (David Mark) and the SE should tell us how their deputy Senate president  "Son" (Ekweremadu) has moved the region forward. Abeg , folks should permit the SW its cynicism if we now believe influential federal/legislative positions in the hands of "our son" , other than for the purpose of bragging rights, does not necessarily imply progress for our region. 12 years of PDP control is enough for us to learn that lesson .
Re: New Power Sharing Arrangement: Pdp’s Zoning Knocks Off South-west Zone by aljharem(m): 1:31pm On May 01, 2011
Gbawe:

Man mi , I apologise. It seems I misunderstand you . This is only because in other threads you seem to insinuate that the SW have lost out by kicking the ruling Party out.

As per the North, I think the region will be fine . The North is still very well represented as per ratio of political positions held . What is important is that the region gain leaders , bereft of overwhelming ego and vanity, who will put the people first.

Folks like IBB are always clamouring to rule yet one can ask what they do with their vast wealth for the majority 'talakawas when not in power.  folks like IBB, Atiku et al are always positioning themselves to be the voice of the North when they have never led by examples to show selfless devotion to the betterment of the lives of others. It is time the North begins to look at men like Col.Umar, Ribadu et al for leadership. The North must learn to get behind its refined and well-exposed men and women who don't need to promote the principles of painting other Nigerians as "enemies" and "infidels" to gain support. In short the North needs bridge builders and the article below highlights this:

http://www.osundefender.org/?p=15909

you are very right

people like ibb and ciroma have just mess everything up

chai, how i wish buhari is the president now cry

well, i can alway go come to the SW, i mean at the end of the day, if others do not see the reason to vote a better candidate then they should face it alone

ACN better surprise us oh
Re: New Power Sharing Arrangement: Pdp’s Zoning Knocks Off South-west Zone by vicenzo(m): 2:36pm On May 01, 2011
Its good for any region to be in the mainstream politics rather than playing ethnic politics,one can be in the centre and still develop his region,lets not make it seem like one has to forefeit one to get the other,sullivian chime of enugu state is a PDP governor and i dont know any ACN governor who has performed more than him. tongue
Re: New Power Sharing Arrangement: Pdp’s Zoning Knocks Off South-west Zone by kasiem(m): 3:53pm On May 01, 2011
The precise of it is that we need good leaders and representatives. Playing regional politics does not guarantee nice leadership,cos i could remember AD ( a regional party) ruling SW and yet the region didn't have it better than other regions. U can't tell me that Aregbesola is better than Amaechi cos the former is in Acn and the latter is in Pdp. So, the positions can be of advantage if the representatives are good.
Re: New Power Sharing Arrangement: Pdp’s Zoning Knocks Off South-west Zone by Gbawe: 4:25pm On May 01, 2011
vicenzo:

Its good for any region to be in the mainstream politics rather than playing ethnic politics,one can be in the centre and still develop his region,lets not make it seem like one has to forefeit one to get the other,sullivian chime of enugu state is a PDP governor and i dont know any ACN governor who has performed more than him. tongue

The SW , from 2003 to date, minus Lagos, has being in "mainstream politics" via PDP dominance in the region. What good did it do the SW? Instead SW States that were previously functional regressed to become basket case testimony to thuggery and amala politics under PDP Jaguda Governors. Lets not talk just for the sake of talking .

Every State will still get the same allocation due to it worked out through the revenue sharing formula. The challenge for the administrators of each State , through inspired and people-oriented leadership, still remains the need to grow IGR (Internally generated revenue) , diversify economic activities that generate income , attract direct investment, increase employment, security , healthcare, develop infrastructure, etc.

There is little the FG can do to help indolent administrators whose only claim to fame is to be part of "mainstream politics" via being PDP members. Similarly , there is little the Government can do, unless we are back in OBJ's uber-vengeful days, to impede the progress of non-PDP States under inspired and dynamic leadership as we see with lagos State. When we now talk about an alliance of like-minded States with similar goals , factoring in the notion of cooperation and productive interdependence, then I dont see any disadvantage of not being with the PDP or not having legislative/federal influence . Besides, most of you arguing in favour of the PDP today will be the ones , tomorrow, harping on about "true federalism" and "regional autonomy that allows every region to grow at their own pace unimpeded by the regressive centre" .
Re: New Power Sharing Arrangement: Pdp’s Zoning Knocks Off South-west Zone by Dotman01(m): 5:02pm On May 01, 2011
Gbawe:

The SW , from 2003 to date, minus Lagos, has being in "mainstream politics" via PDP dominance in the region. What good did it do the SW? Instead SW States that were previously functional regressed to become basket case testimony to thuggery and amala politics under PDP Jaguda Governors. Lets not talk just for the sake of talking .

Every State will still get the same allocation due to it worked out through the revenue sharing formula. The challenge for the administrators of each State , through inspired and people-oriented leadership, still remains the need to grow IGR (Internally generated revenue) , diversify economic activities that generate income , attract direct investment, increase employment, security , healthcare, develop infrastructure, etc.

There is little the FG can do to help indolent administrators whose only claim to fame is to be part of "mainstream politics" via being PDP members. Similarly , there is little the Government can do, unless we are back in OBJ's uber-vengeful days, to impede the progress of non-PDP States under inspired and dynamic leadership as we see with lagos State. When we now talk about an alliance of like-minded States with similar goals , factoring in the notion of cooperation and productive interdependence, then I dont see any disadvantage of not being with the PDP or not having legislative/federal influence . Besides, most of you arguing in favour of the PDP today will be the ones , tomorrow, harping on about "true federalism" and "regional autonomy that allows every region to grow at their own pace unimpeded by the regressive centre" .
. . . God bless u
Re: New Power Sharing Arrangement: Pdp’s Zoning Knocks Off South-west Zone by ak47mann(m): 5:26pm On May 01, 2011
southwest people are getting wiser cheesy cheesy they should focus more on there region cus,being first class or 2nd or third class citizen does not matter or make sense if you region is poor and under developed.getting federal post doing get them any were cool cool is better they focus on employment and security and developing their states cool cool
Re: New Power Sharing Arrangement: Pdp’s Zoning Knocks Off South-west Zone by jason123: 5:56pm On May 01, 2011
I am very happy for the SW. They always take and shape their destiny with their own hands. How does a speaker translate to regional development?? If that's the price the SW pays for good governance, then so be it!!!
ACN better develop that region to be the envy of others so they can be vindicated.
Re: New Power Sharing Arrangement: Pdp’s Zoning Knocks Off South-west Zone by floriana(m): 6:25pm On May 01, 2011
The most powerful 'mainstream' position in Nigeria is the office of the president. Obasanjo held it for eight years but it did not benefit his SW people. To hell with mainstream. Governorship is better than even Senate presidency. We in the SW have made our choices. Let the mainstreamers carry go.
Re: New Power Sharing Arrangement: Pdp’s Zoning Knocks Off South-west Zone by MaiSuya(m): 6:28pm On May 01, 2011
@ Gbawe if you don't mind my asking, are you by any chance a politician? this your analysis no get rival o!  grin

you should try getting it published.
Re: New Power Sharing Arrangement: Pdp’s Zoning Knocks Off South-west Zone by seanet02: 7:25pm On May 01, 2011
To hell with mainstream politics. The southwest was more peaceful, progressive and developed under the progressives or opposition. The appointment of Dimeji Bankole as Speaker of the house did not in any way led to massive industrialization, agricultural and educational advancement for the Yoruba people. We bred contented with our new governors. By the way WTF has the North gained for producing over 70% of Nigerias former Presidents? Nothing except this Blood sucking Almajiris!
Re: New Power Sharing Arrangement: Pdp’s Zoning Knocks Off South-west Zone by Pataki: 7:34pm On May 01, 2011
I am sure the lesson the SouthWest will teach Nigerians at large is that, Power does not belong to the central. But to the region and the states respectively.

GEJ might end-up just being a figure head if indeed the SW region gets things right this time around for once!

So to hell with the PDP zoning off the South West.
Re: New Power Sharing Arrangement: Pdp’s Zoning Knocks Off South-west Zone by EzeUche2(m): 7:38pm On May 01, 2011
This was my prediction.  cool

SW in the opposition again.

Now PDP needs to get rid of OBJ and I shall be happy.

I see a true Igbo ascendancy again.
Re: New Power Sharing Arrangement: Pdp’s Zoning Knocks Off South-west Zone by kodewrita(m): 7:47pm On May 01, 2011
Which Patrica Etteh from Osun State? Please carry your load. She's not from anywhere here.

As for the zoning, we dont give a hoot.

When we start moving (as I hope we do), we'll drag the rest of you forward into the 21st century BY THE NOSE, willing or not.
Re: New Power Sharing Arrangement: Pdp’s Zoning Knocks Off South-west Zone by EzeUche2(m): 7:59pm On May 01, 2011
vicenzo:

That is true. At least keep one foot in the door. Why not vote PDP senators and ACN for governor and other local positions? I don't think that was a smart move on the SW part. It shows ethnic politics played a role in their vote.
Re: New Power Sharing Arrangement: Pdp’s Zoning Knocks Off South-west Zone by Musiwa13: 8:04pm On May 01, 2011
we
Re: New Power Sharing Arrangement: Pdp’s Zoning Knocks Off South-west Zone by dustydee: 8:10pm On May 01, 2011
speaker:cos we have reps members elected on the platform of PDP

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Non-performing Govs Will Not Be Given A Second Term - PDP / Senate Confirms Ibrahim Lamorde As Chairman Of Efcc / Bamanga Tukur Resigns As PDP Chairman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.