Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,374 members, 7,819,347 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:45 PM

Israeli Opposition Inch Closer To Deal To Oust Netanyahu - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Israeli Opposition Inch Closer To Deal To Oust Netanyahu (827 Views)

Senegal: Faye To Be Announced Winner As Opposition Parties Concede Defeat / Chile's Opposition Moves To Oust President Over Pandora Papers Revelations / Americans Ridicule Trump As Biden Edges Closer To Victory (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Israeli Opposition Inch Closer To Deal To Oust Netanyahu by Vaughanlanrewaj: 6:41pm On May 30, 2021
Israeli opposition inch closer to deal to oust Netanyahu

Israeli opposition parties have moved closer towards forming a government that would bring to an end Benjamin Netanyahu's time as the country's longest serving prime minister.

Centrist party leader Yair Lapid is reportedly close to reaching a coalition agreement with the ultra-nationalist leader Naftali Bennett.

Leaders from Mr Bennett's party spoke in favour of the deal on Sunday.

Mr Lapid, 57, has until Wednesday to form a new coalition government.

Israeli media reports suggest both sides have inched closer towards a deal that would see Mr Bennett, 49, serve as prime minister for two years before being replaced by Mr Lapid for the second half of the term.

Mr Bennett is due to deliver a statement on Sunday evening in which he is expected to formally declare his support for the agreement.

His Yamina party hold a crucial six seats in the 120-member parliament that would give an opposition coalition of right-wing, centrist and left-wing parties a clear majority.

Mr Bennett met with Yamina leaders on Sunday and received their support for the coalition deal, a statement said.

But no one should count out Mr Netanyahu whose political survival instincts remain second to none, says BBC Middle East analyst Sebastian Usher.

The opponents of Mr Netanyahu, who is on trial for fraud, have little in common politically but are united in their desire to see his run in power come to an end.

The 71-year-old, who has been in power for 12 years and has dominated Israeli politics for a generation, fell short of a decisive majority at a general election in March. It was the fourth inconclusive vote in two years.

That result opened the door for Mr Lapid, a former finance minister who was given until 2 June to form a new coalition government after Mr Netanyahu failed to do so.

His Yesh Atid party came second to Mr Netanyahu's right-wing Likud at the last election.

Mr Lapid was initially given a 28-day mandate to form a government, but this was interrupted by the recent 11-day conflict in Gaza.

One of his potential coalition partners, the Arab Islamist Raam party, broke off talks because of the violence. There were also clashes in Israeli cities between mixed Arab and Jewish populations.

On Saturday night, Mr Netanyahu's Likud party made an offer to Mr Bennett and the leader of another potential coalition party to share the premiership in a three-way split.

However, his offer was rejected.

If Mr Lapid is unable to agree a coalition, Israelis could be going back to the polls again later for the fifth election in just two years.

Under Israel's electoral system of proportional representation, it is difficult for a single party to gain enough seats to form a government outright. Smaller parties are usually needed to make up the numbers needed for a coalition.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-57300769

Cc Lalasticala
Myndd44

1 Like

Re: Israeli Opposition Inch Closer To Deal To Oust Netanyahu by Vaughanlanrewaj: 6:43pm On May 30, 2021
He instigated a war that killed almost 100 innocent children so he could hang on to power. Now he's losing it and likely to end in jail for fraud and corruption.

He clunged on to power for 12 whole years yet still don't want to go! shocked
He must face ICC! He sent his police to go fire at unarmed Muslim worshippers while praying inside the holy site mosque during Ramadan. He did it to pick a needless war against the same people he had conquered. Just for one reason; to hold on to power.

He still thinks we are in the era where pro Isreal CNN, BBC , VOA will be dishing out lies and pro Isreali propaganda to the rest of the world.
I saw the Isreali police attacking the Muslim worshippers while praying inside the holy site mosque and I was disgusted! Who does that? Isreal had a narcissistic person as their leader and they obviously regret it now.

I looked at him how he had no single remorse during the 11 day war and I just couldn't wrap my head around how this kind of individual became a PM.
Even President Kenyatta stopped his speech while a nearby mosque was calling for prayers yet a Proselyte ordered Isreali police to go fire at unarmed people praying. People who you know are fasting! In 2021 era of social media and power of smartphones recording live!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Israeli Opposition Inch Closer To Deal To Oust Netanyahu by Nobody: 6:49pm On May 30, 2021
Vaughanlanrewaj:
He instigated a war that killed almost 100 innocent children so he could hang on to power. Now he's losing it and likely to end in jail for fraud and corruption.

you are a bad analyst. He won't spend a second behind the bars. US won't allow that.

3 Likes

Re: Israeli Opposition Inch Closer To Deal To Oust Netanyahu by Northernblood3: 6:51pm On May 30, 2021
Vaughanlanrewaj:

Says a Terrorist sympathizer whose friends shot more than 100 missiles to civilian populated area of Israel.

Una never see anything, Wait until Biafrans go on air, that is when una go see real bombardment

2 Likes

Re: Israeli Opposition Inch Closer To Deal To Oust Netanyahu by Vaughanlanrewaj: 7:04pm On May 30, 2021
Northernblood3:

Says a Terrorist sympathizer whose friends shot more than 100 missiles to civilian populated area of Israel.

Una never see anything, Wait until Biafrans go on air, that is when una go see real bombardment
You're already on air killing an innocent defenceless Gulak undecided
It's you and your village that will get the war you wish for, not the whole of Igboland. There will be no genocide in Nigeria. It's your own village and before you bring ill luck to them, they will banish you to the evil forest to stay with other bitter souled bigot like you. All the enemies of Nigeria will lose las las. They always lose..
Meanwhile, it's not Isreal that went into the war, it's the narcissistic Netanyahu. If you can read, he has already lost our but thinking he can change the tide by destroying the same people he had conquered. He lost.

2 Likes

Re: Israeli Opposition Inch Closer To Deal To Oust Netanyahu by FarahAideed: 7:06pm On May 30, 2021
Vaughanlanrewaj:

He must face ICC! He sent his police to go fire at unarmed Muslim worshippers while praying inside the holy site mosque during Ramadan. He did it to pick a needless war against the same people he had conquered. Just for one reason; to hold on to power.

He still thinks we are in the era where pro Isreal CNN, BBC , VOA will be dishing out lies and pro Isreali propaganda to the rest of the world.
I saw the Isreali police attacking the Muslim worshippers while praying inside the holy site mosque and I was disgusted! Who does that? Isreal had a narcissistic person as their leader and they obviously regret it now.

I looked at him how he had no single remorse during the 11 day war and I just couldn't wrap my head around how this kind of individual became a PM.
Even President Kenyatta stopped his speech while a nearby mosque was calling for prayers yet a Proselyte ordered Isreali police to go fire at unarmed people praying. People who you know are fasting! In 2021 era of social media and power of smartphones recording live!

So he told Hamas to shoot over 100 missiles into Isreal so he could start a war ?
Re: Israeli Opposition Inch Closer To Deal To Oust Netanyahu by FarahAideed: 7:07pm On May 30, 2021
The evil American democrats want to get rid of this man
Re: Israeli Opposition Inch Closer To Deal To Oust Netanyahu by helinues: 7:08pm On May 30, 2021
But Netayanhu won the 3rd round election now.

Anyways, his aggressive towards Palestinians was just to revalidate his relevancy amongst Israelis
Re: Israeli Opposition Inch Closer To Deal To Oust Netanyahu by Charmingrascal(m): 7:08pm On May 30, 2021
Vaughanlanrewaj:

Even if Netanyahu is ousted whoever takes over will never allow Islamic terrorists take over or intimidate Isreal.

There are Millions Netanyahu in Isreal.

1 Like

Re: Israeli Opposition Inch Closer To Deal To Oust Netanyahu by Vaughanlanrewaj: 7:13pm On May 30, 2021
FarahAideed:

So he told Hamas to shoot over 100 missiles into Isreal so he could start a war ?
No sir. He was the one who started it by sending police to go attack the unharmed fasting and praying Muslims inside the holy site mosque and held them hostage for days while still going on with forced eviction which the Isreali court is yet to rule on the case. He deliberately created the scenario because he was already out and the Isreali Arab party won't go with his party. Remember he is widely believed as corrupt. It's not Isreal per se, it was the antics of a man clinching to power after losing. He wanted the Isreali to believe he is the best to protect them. Unfortunately for him, he wasn't expecting the amount of international back lash he got to the point that his blood thirsty action is putting the lives and business interests of Isreali overseas in jeopardy.

1 Like

Re: Israeli Opposition Inch Closer To Deal To Oust Netanyahu by Vaughanlanrewaj: 7:20pm On May 30, 2021
Charmingrascal:

Even if Netanyahu is ousted whoever takes over will never allow Islamic terrorists take over or intimidate Isreal.

You're wrong sir. Here's the comment and appeal to protesters in Germany. Not everyone is blood thirsty.

Israeli ambassador to Germany calls on Jews and Muslims to come together against hate

Israeli ambassador to Germany Jeremy Issacharoff called on Jews and Muslims to come together against hatred and polarization.

"The Jewish and Muslim communities can have a lot in common and in some places in Germany there are close contacts between these communities," Issacharoff told the Welt am Sonntag newspaper.

Issacharoff said it helps "when Jews and Muslims come together, exchange ideas and discuss common challenges. That can also be the basis to tackle growing hatred together."

https://www.dw.com/en/pro-palestinian-protesters-march-in-major-cities-as-israel-strikes-gaza-as-it-happened/a-57541547

That's the Ambassador of Isreal to Germany. The world outcry against him was partly why Biden quickly waded in and he had to save face. He was putting the lives and business interests of Isreali citizens overseas in jeopardy with his political desperation to hold on to power even after 12 years!

As things stand, Netanyahu has lost.

1 Like

Re: Israeli Opposition Inch Closer To Deal To Oust Netanyahu by AmuAwusa: 7:27pm On May 30, 2021
The man will never be ousted.
Western worlds loud political correctness but behind the scenes dey encourage the decimination of Islamic terrorists.
Re: Israeli Opposition Inch Closer To Deal To Oust Netanyahu by Coldsperm: 7:41pm On May 30, 2021
See this headSlammer. Continue yarning dust.
Re: Israeli Opposition Inch Closer To Deal To Oust Netanyahu by Malcolm123: 4:49pm On Jun 03, 2021
Northernblood3:

My ipob friend, hope you ar enjoying how nigeria army dey massacre your colleagues
Re: Israeli Opposition Inch Closer To Deal To Oust Netanyahu by Jimi24: 9:55pm On Jun 03, 2021
Vaughanlanrewaj:

Yes. Netanyahu lost his head. Funny enough most ordinary Israelis don't support a belligerent posture towards Palestinians

1 Like

Re: Israeli Opposition Inch Closer To Deal To Oust Netanyahu by joyandfaith: 7:17am On Jun 05, 2021
Charmingrascal:

Vaughanlanrewaj takes note of that. All jews have similar mission regardless of their political parties.
Muslims though Biden will not support Israel during Hamas-Israel war.
Democrats are slow poisons while Republicans are opposite.
Democrats would destroy islamic world

(1) (Reply)

Lightning Strike Kills 11 People As Bolt Wipe Out Crowds Taking Selfies(Pix,Vid) / Breaking News: Rockets Fired At Israel From Lebanon / Russia Set For All Out War With Ukraine Now

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.