Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,747 members, 7,817,059 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:09 AM

Naomi Osaka Withdraws From Roland Garros - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Naomi Osaka Withdraws From Roland Garros (28466 Views)

Djokovic Wins Roland-Garros / Roger Federer Withdraws From Roland Garros / Serena Williams Defeats Naomi Osaka (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Naomi Osaka Withdraws From Roland Garros by fergie001: 7:58pm On May 31, 2021
Tennis No. 2 seed, Naomi Osaka was fined $15000 in the wake of
her infringement of mandatory media interviews at Roland-Garros.

Naomi Osaka announced last week via social media, that she would not participate in the mandatory media interviews at Roland-Garros 2021.

Today, the top seed has announced she will withdraw from Roland Garros, citing mental health reasons

Hey everyone, this isn't a situation I ever imagined or intended when I posted a few days ago. I think now the best thing for the tournament, the other players and my well-being is that I withdraw so that everyone can get back to focusing on the tennis going on in Paris.

I never wanted to be a distraction and I accept that my timing was not ideal and my message could have been clearer.

More importantly I would never trivialize mental health or use the term lightly.

The truth is that I have suffered long bouts of depression since the US Open in 2018 and I have had a really hard time coping with that. Anyone that knows me knows I'm introverted, and anyone that has seen me at the tournaments will notice that I'm often wearing headphones as that helps dull my social anxiety.

Though the tennis press has always been kind to me (and I wanna apologize especially to all the cool journalists who I may have hurt), I am not a natural public speaker and get huge waves of anxiety before I speak to the world's media. I get really nervous and find it stressful to always try to engage and give you the best answers I can.

So here in Paris I was already feeling vulnerable and anxious so I thought it was better to exercise self-care and skip the press
conferences.

I announced it preemptively because l do feel like the rules are quite outdated in parts and I wanted to highlight that.

I wrote privately to the tournament apologizing and saying that I would be more than happy to speak with them after the
tournament as the Slams are intense.

I'm gonna take some time away from the court now, but when the time is right I really want to work with the Tour to discuss ways we can make things better for the players, press and fans.

Anyways hope you are all doing well and staying safe, love you guys I'll see you when I see you

Naomi Osaka

Osaka has won four Singles Grand Slams and is the reigning Champion at the US Open and the Australian Open

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Naomi Osaka Withdraws From Roland Garros by Amotolongbo(f): 7:59pm On May 31, 2021
Wao

I’m going to miss her.
I have no option than looking out for Coco Gauff then.

Why do they have to mandate it for every player to appear before the press to speak?

This is a player I prefer seeing and enjoying her dexterity with the racket rather than her verbal response.

45 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naomi Osaka Withdraws From Roland Garros by victons(m): 8:01pm On May 31, 2021
Revolutions should begin from the most relevant.

21 Likes

Re: Naomi Osaka Withdraws From Roland Garros by Ololanla: 8:01pm On May 31, 2021
Okay
Re: Naomi Osaka Withdraws From Roland Garros by phemmyfour: 8:01pm On May 31, 2021
Good news for Serena

If you cannot stand the heat, berra leave the kitchen

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naomi Osaka Withdraws From Roland Garros by moralteacher: 8:01pm On May 31, 2021
Another Grandslam for Barty
Re: Naomi Osaka Withdraws From Roland Garros by MrPsalmist(m): 8:01pm On May 31, 2021
embarassed pretty lady I’ll definitely miss her
Re: Naomi Osaka Withdraws From Roland Garros by Gsentme(m): 8:01pm On May 31, 2021
Okay
Re: Naomi Osaka Withdraws From Roland Garros by onecornerboy(m): 8:02pm On May 31, 2021
Re: Naomi Osaka Withdraws From Roland Garros by Offpoint1: 8:02pm On May 31, 2021
Thought it was Noami the wrestler
Re: Naomi Osaka Withdraws From Roland Garros by kenzysmith: 8:02pm On May 31, 2021
Tennis is the most sexiest sport enjoy seeing the likes of maria sharapokvia on mini and this osaka as them they play their skirt lift up and I see their pants . my fellow vasline crew I hope I made sense

49 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naomi Osaka Withdraws From Roland Garros by Hydronium(m): 8:02pm On May 31, 2021
Hmm
Re: Naomi Osaka Withdraws From Roland Garros by JohnBullMySon: 8:02pm On May 31, 2021
Osaka and her activism. Hope she won't damage her career? She's has grand slams to win biko.

BTW Serena will be hoping to take this now.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naomi Osaka Withdraws From Roland Garros by anselm791(m): 8:03pm On May 31, 2021
Yeah she needs a minute.
Can the game go on?
Lets' play.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naomi Osaka Withdraws From Roland Garros by Thinktwicemybro: 8:03pm On May 31, 2021
Re: Naomi Osaka Withdraws From Roland Garros by Optimistguy1969: 8:03pm On May 31, 2021
The smallie sef too get wahala.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naomi Osaka Withdraws From Roland Garros by Precioussilas10: 8:03pm On May 31, 2021
She's got her reasons!

6 Likes

Re: Naomi Osaka Withdraws From Roland Garros by chidonweb(m): 8:03pm On May 31, 2021
So sad
Re: Naomi Osaka Withdraws From Roland Garros by MeghaneMorgane(f): 8:03pm On May 31, 2021
If that is what she wants to do, let her do it. Make we no go hear say person commit suicide because she was struggling with mental health. Sister, do you. Just know that it might affect your career though. But if you have no problem with the effect it will have on your career. Do you and be happy Naomi Osaka

16 Likes

Re: Naomi Osaka Withdraws From Roland Garros by meobizy(f): 8:04pm On May 31, 2021
Na she know.

1 Like

Re: Naomi Osaka Withdraws From Roland Garros by Yello1(m): 8:04pm On May 31, 2021
Strong hearted woman and very bold to air her voice. I like her personality. Talk and do kinda person. More win Osaka

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Naomi Osaka Withdraws From Roland Garros by Boye33: 8:04pm On May 31, 2021
One of the many travails of a deep rooted introvert.

10 Likes

Re: Naomi Osaka Withdraws From Roland Garros by Neimar: 8:05pm On May 31, 2021
Lmao
She was never going to win the French Open jare

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Naomi Osaka Withdraws From Roland Garros by FBIBOT(m): 8:05pm On May 31, 2021
Wahala.... Can't they verify her claims and let her be?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naomi Osaka Withdraws From Roland Garros by ringi82(m): 8:06pm On May 31, 2021
Press can drive u crazy sometimes. Introverts do not respond well to public speaking. They try to avoid it like a plague.. That is why they enjoy their privacy. She may be an introvert.
Re: Naomi Osaka Withdraws From Roland Garros by figure007(m): 8:06pm On May 31, 2021
Reading through her writeup really tells alot about her in terms of been an introvert really , not everyone can face the media/public in term of speech . At times we need to understand each other personality,because she didn't speak to the press she was fined,that's pure nonsense ,is it by force to speak? This white people self get them own yeye problem saa ahnahn undecided

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naomi Osaka Withdraws From Roland Garros by agabusta: 8:06pm On May 31, 2021
FBIBOT:
Wahala.... Can't they verify her claims and let her be?

I tire
Re: Naomi Osaka Withdraws From Roland Garros by arazanbal: 8:06pm On May 31, 2021
na similar mata like dis make real Madrid and other clubs come up with super league as dm call am. like with UEFA, always after d money dm nor care how the teams or clubs are fairing regarding this challenging times.
Re: Naomi Osaka Withdraws From Roland Garros by JohnBullMySon: 8:07pm On May 31, 2021
Neimar:
Lmao
She was never going to win the French Open jare
Why do you say so?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Ivory Coast Vs Senegal Match Abandoned After Fans Invade Pitch(pics+video) / Chelsea Complete The Signing Of Ben Chilwell / Ola Aina Still In Contention For World Cup As Rohr Axes 4 Players

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.