Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,169 members, 7,821,962 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:56 PM

Yahaya Bello Proposes 20 Per Cent Derivation On Solid Minerals - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yahaya Bello Proposes 20 Per Cent Derivation On Solid Minerals (212 Views)

Senate Committee Proposes 20 New States / Electricity: FG, Labour Agree To Cut Price By N10.20 Per Kwh, For 3 Months / Senate Proposes 20-Year Jail Term For Electoral Offenders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yahaya Bello Proposes 20 Per Cent Derivation On Solid Minerals by Mecka: 4:50pm On Jun 01, 2021
The Governor of Kogi State, Yahaya Bello, has
recommended that 20 per cent of the revenue be given to states where solid minerals are mined, up from the current 13 per cent.

The federal government had, in 2016, approved the
implementation of the constitutionally guaranteed 13
per cent derivation from mineral revenues to
deserving states.

But Mr Bello, at the North Central Zonal public
hearing for constitution review exercise being held in
Lokoja, Kogi State, said 13 per cent is not
commensurate to the effects of mining activities in
the state.

“13 per cent derivatives is not commensurate to
degradation and other effects of mining in host
communities. I recommend 20 per cent equity share
for states on solid mineral mining,” he said.

Welcoming other states in the North Central zones to
the event, Mr Bello said Nigeria is at a crossroads,
critical to its development.

According to him, the present security situation is
both a threat and an opportunity.

“Of course, it depends on our responses as citizens
to these threats. The ongoing constitution review is
one of the tools to address issues in the national
polity, so I support the National Assembly.”

North Central Zonal public hearing for constitution
review exercise

The two-day event, organised by the House of
Representatives Special Committee on Constitutional
Review, started on Tuesday and is billed to end on
Wednesday.

Recall that the Senate version of the event was held
last week.

This is part of the effort to meet the demands of
Nigerians on the need for restructuring, which many
believe to be long overdue.

Members of labour unions, traditional rulers,
political office holders and other groups are present
at the Kogi State Government House in Lokoja,
where the North Central section of the event is
holding.

Also speaking at the event, the Speaker of the Kogi
State House of Assembly, Matthew Kolawole,
clamoured for the creation of six additional states.
He also called for harmonisation of the 1999 and
1963 constitutions for the betterment of the citizens.

“Most people (are) agitating for Nigeria to revert
back to 1963 constitution. There is (a) need to
harmonise both the 1963 constitution and 1999
constitution for the betterment of Nigerians,” he
said.

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/465066-constitution-review-yahaya-bello-proposes-20-per-cent-derivation-on-solid-minerals.html
Re: Yahaya Bello Proposes 20 Per Cent Derivation On Solid Minerals by FIRDAUS3(m): 4:51pm On Jun 01, 2021
Isokaay
Re: Yahaya Bello Proposes 20 Per Cent Derivation On Solid Minerals by alizma: 4:53pm On Jun 01, 2021
Better.
Re: Yahaya Bello Proposes 20 Per Cent Derivation On Solid Minerals by TrackerXL: 4:55pm On Jun 01, 2021
This is what the NigerDelta governors n senators should liase with their counterparts from across Nigeria's to fightbforbtillbthey get to 30% but how politician reason in Nigeria is beyond me.
Re: Yahaya Bello Proposes 20 Per Cent Derivation On Solid Minerals by middlebelter(m): 4:57pm On Jun 01, 2021
Oga Bello, for many years your people from the North opposed an increase in the derivation of crude oil mined from the Niger delta, now that it is your turn, you want 20%, therefore, I will suggest 30% derivation for states where crude oil are mined.

For the record, I am from Kogi State.
Re: Yahaya Bello Proposes 20 Per Cent Derivation On Solid Minerals by Imsoblessed: 5:06pm On Jun 01, 2021
Yahaya Bello have never really been a smart person, when your mates are talking of resource control you are talking 20% .who kogi people offend self? A governor behaving like a school boy looking for good face from Abuja.
Re: Yahaya Bello Proposes 20 Per Cent Derivation On Solid Minerals by Mecka: 8:48pm On Jun 01, 2021
middlebelter:
Oga Bello, for many years your people from the North opposed an increase in the derivation of crude oil mined from the Niger delta, now that it is your turn, you want 20%, therefore, I will suggest 30% derivation for states where crude oil are mined.

For the record, I am from Kogi State.
what is good for the goose is good for the gander

(1) (Reply)

President Muhammadu Buhari Address The Nation Inline With The Insecurity Issues / Buhari Is One Man Not Nigeria, He Have No Right To Ban Twitter Used By Nigerians / Coalition Of Northern Groups Urge FG To Allow South-east Have Biafra, Order Exit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.