Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,635 members, 7,955,317 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 10:30 PM

I Didn’t Call For Scrapping Of Senate – Akeredolu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Didn’t Call For Scrapping Of Senate – Akeredolu (280 Views)

No Peter Obi Didn’t Call APC A Yoruba Party - Fact Check By The Cable (Throwback / Peter Obi Didn’t Call APC A Yoruba Political Party - The Cable (FACT CHECK) / We Didn’t Call For Boycott Of Anambra Election – IPOB Clarifies Statement (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Didn’t Call For Scrapping Of Senate – Akeredolu by afroniger: 2:16pm On Jun 02, 2021
https://thenationonlineng.net/i-didnt-call-for-scrapping-of-senate-akeredolu/

June 2, 2021

By Osagie Otabor, Akure

Ondo Governor Oluwarotimi Akeredolu has denied calling for the scrapping of the Senate in the review of the 1999 constitution being undertaken by the National Assembly.

Akeredolu was represented by his Deputy, Lucky Aiyedatiwa, at the House of Representatives public hearing on the review of the 1999 constitution.

Akeredolu described the report quoting him as calling for the scrapping of the Senate as an “interpretative error."

The Ondo Governor, who spoke in statement by his Commissioner for Information and Orientation, Donald Ojogo, said he had, like many other well-meaning Nigerians, identified Nigeria’s Bicameral Legislature and its full-time status as plausibly reducible weights to cut cost.

He said: “Succinctly, Governor Akeredolu’s view, which is the official position of the Ondo State Government is that, adoption of the Unicameral Legislature, and making it part-time would not only cut cost of governance but has the potentials of enhanced performance and altruistic services to Nigerians.

“Therefore, ascribing or misinterpreting this proposal to isolatedly, depict a call for the scraping of the Nigerian Senate is erroneous. The call for a part-time Unicameral Federal Parliament remains and shall be pursued with all vigour.”

Mynd44
Lalasticlala
Re: I Didn’t Call For Scrapping Of Senate – Akeredolu by chatinent: 2:36pm On Jun 02, 2021
What's its use tho?
Re: I Didn’t Call For Scrapping Of Senate – Akeredolu by Nobody: 2:38pm On Jun 02, 2021
He should share his entire speech with the public
Re: I Didn’t Call For Scrapping Of Senate – Akeredolu by Penguin2: 2:48pm On Jun 02, 2021
The Bicameral legislature was envisioned to ensure that no president would pocket the legislature...

The idea was that if you are able to buy the Senate, you might not buy the House of Representatives and vice versa.

But since both the Senate and the House of Rep has begun to be mere appendages of the Executive arm of government, I don’t even mind if both of them are scrapped; let the president do what he wants.

All the rubbish Buhari has been doing since 2019, has any of the arms questioned him or tried to stop him at least?

They are useless abeg.

Nigeria last had National Assembly between 2015-2019 when Saraki was Senate president.

(1) (Reply)

NGE Kicks Against Worsening Insecurity / Guess Which App? Funny Tweets We Saw On Fg's Twitter Suspension / Our Gain From Twitter Ban In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.