Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,702 members, 7,809,664 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:44 PM

British Encylopedia describes Fierce Igbo & Ijebu Resistance Before Colonialism - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / British Encylopedia describes Fierce Igbo & Ijebu Resistance Before Colonialism (751 Views)

Nigerian Skyscraper Built 400 Yrs Before Colonialism / There Were No 'Tribes' In Nigeria Before Colonialism. Discuss / Boko Haram Terrorists Fleeing From Soldiers During A Fierce Battle Yesterday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

British Encylopedia describes Fierce Igbo & Ijebu Resistance Before Colonialism by Nobody: 2:32pm On Jun 03, 2021
"The British penetration of Nigeria met with various forms of resistance throughout the country. In the south the British had to fight many wars, in particular the wars against the Ijebu (a Yoruba group) in 1892, the Aro of eastern Igboland, and, until 1914, the Aniocha of western Igboland. In the north many emirates did not take military action, but the deposed caliph, Atahiru I, rebelled in 1903. Many Muslims resorted to migration as a form of resistance, a tactic known as the hejira, in which those perceived as infidels are avoided.

Resistance was strong in western Igboland, where a series of wars were waged against the British. The Ekumeku, who were well organized and whose leaders were joined in secrecy oaths, effectively utilized guerrilla tactics to attack the British. Their forces, which were drawn from hundreds of Igbo youth from all parts of the region, created many problems for the British, but the British used forceful tactics and heavy armaments (destroying homes, farms, and roads) to prevail. The Ekumeku, however, became a great source of Igbo nationalism."

https://www.britannica.com/place/Nigeria/The-arrival-of-the-British
Re: British Encylopedia describes Fierce Igbo & Ijebu Resistance Before Colonialism by Nobody: 2:39pm On Jun 03, 2021
There is something very similar between the Ijebu and Igbo - I wonder !!
Re: British Encylopedia describes Fierce Igbo & Ijebu Resistance Before Colonialism by Nobody: 2:46pm On Jun 03, 2021
Well, they all eventually lost...because they did not heed the advice of King Gezo who said that 'he who makes the gunpowder will win the war'

Nigerians don't want to make the gunpowder, but they want to import it at inflated prices...and use the profit to pose with more imported goods.

That is why we lost back then and why we lose now.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: British Encylopedia describes Fierce Igbo & Ijebu Resistance Before Colonialism by sweetonugbu: 2:49pm On Jun 03, 2021
Ok
Re: British Encylopedia describes Fierce Igbo & Ijebu Resistance Before Colonialism by RuddyDesign: 3:01pm On Jun 03, 2021
Ok o
Re: British Encylopedia describes Fierce Igbo & Ijebu Resistance Before Colonialism by Shetemi12(m): 3:01pm On Jun 03, 2021
But we all choose to ignore the most important of the story. Why were the wars not won? What's the conspiracy that made the Britain win at the end of the day? LACK OF KNOWLEDGE AND REFERENCE... The same is happening now

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: British Encylopedia describes Fierce Igbo & Ijebu Resistance Before Colonialism by Nobody: 3:09pm On Jun 03, 2021
Shetemi12:
the conspiracy that made the Britain win at the end of the day? LACK OF KNOWLEDGE AND REFERENCE... The same is happening now

They resisted the mighty British with spears and arrows - now they have AK47. Case closed.
Re: British Encylopedia describes Fierce Igbo & Ijebu Resistance Before Colonialism by IamFINESSE: 3:11pm On Jun 03, 2021
In my next life, I will be an Igbo man

Igbo mma mma nuo

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: British Encylopedia describes Fierce Igbo & Ijebu Resistance Before Colonialism by budaatum: 3:11pm On Jun 03, 2021
And ever since the British left we dividedly misrule ourselves.

To prevent any united opposition to its authority, the British adopted a divide-and-rule policy, keeping Nigerian groups separate from one another as much as possible. Traditional authorities were co-opted in the north, where the spread of Western education by Christian missionaries was strongly resisted by Muslim leaders. In the south the British occasionally created a political hierarchy where there had been none before; in most cases they ruled through those who were most malleable, whether these people had held traditional positions of authority or not. Because Western education and Christianity spread rapidly in the south and not in the north, development was much slower in the north, and the growing disparity between north and south later caused political tensions.
Re: British Encylopedia describes Fierce Igbo & Ijebu Resistance Before Colonialism by longetivity(m): 3:14pm On Jun 03, 2021
Ijebu!!!! the only YORUBA people with balls

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: British Encylopedia describes Fierce Igbo & Ijebu Resistance Before Colonialism by Collyweed: 3:36pm On Jun 03, 2021
Beancounter93:
Well, they all eventually lost...because they did not heed the advice of King Gezo who said that 'he who makes the gunpowder will win the war'

Nigerians don't want to make the gunpowder, but they want to import it at inflated prices...and use the profit to pose with more imported goods.

That is why we lost back then and why we lose now.

It is not quite true that we didn't make gun powder. As a prelude to the Berlin conference, the Europeans decided to restrict the exportation of gun powder to these parts. The price rose but I know for a fact that we were able to manufacture black powder locally. I know this because I come from a community that manufactured gun powder and actually grew quite wealthy doing that.

The actual reason the bastard English were successful was because of the Maxim gun. That was the real game changer.

1 Like

Re: British Encylopedia describes Fierce Igbo & Ijebu Resistance Before Colonialism by Nobody: 3:41pm On Jun 03, 2021
Collyweed:

It is not quite true that we didn't make gun powder. As a prelude to the Berlin conference, the Europeans decided to restrict the exportation of gun powder to these parts. The price rose but I know for a fact that we were able to manufacture black powder locally. I know this because I come from a community that manufactured gun powder and actually grew quite wealthy doing that.

Which is why we would have done well making gunpowder, in a way

The actual reason the bastard English were successful was because of the Maxim gun. That was the real game changer.

True, unfortunately
Re: British Encylopedia describes Fierce Igbo & Ijebu Resistance Before Colonialism by ablejesus26(m): 3:44pm On Jun 03, 2021
PeaceforNigeria:
There is something very similar between the Ijebu and Igbo - I wonder !!

One of them is their intelligent consciousness for being economic wise��.
If you jam an Igbo/Ijebu partnership in Business, don't try to play or out smart them.
When it comes to money them no dey joke ooo.
An Igboman has a very strong fighting spirit,same with an Ijebu man.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: British Encylopedia describes Fierce Igbo & Ijebu Resistance Before Colonialism by StaffofOrayan(m): 3:47pm On Jun 03, 2021
Proudly Ijebu!
Ijebu re mi wa

Re: British Encylopedia describes Fierce Igbo & Ijebu Resistance Before Colonialism by ThEGodFaThEr101(m): 4:01pm On Jun 03, 2021
This is why no Ijebu man will dóbalę for Tinubu and his Bullion Vans. The only Yoruba people that the brown teeth bandit dictates to are Lagosians who have sold their birthright to Tinubu.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: British Encylopedia describes Fierce Igbo & Ijebu Resistance Before Colonialism by temitope27(m): 4:05pm On Jun 03, 2021
ThEGodFaThEr101:
This is why no Ijebu man will dóbalę for Tinubu and his Bullion Vans. The only Yoruba people that the brown teeth bandit dictates to are Lagosians who have sold their birthright to Tinubu.
do you even know that must lagosians are ijebu?
Re: British Encylopedia describes Fierce Igbo & Ijebu Resistance Before Colonialism by ThEGodFaThEr101(m): 4:13pm On Jun 03, 2021
temitope27:
do you even know that must lagosians are ijebu?
Which Lagosians are Ijebu?
Is it the Aworis from badagry or Lagos Island?
The real lagosians are the Aworis, these are the real owners of Lagos. Everyother Yoruba Lagosians are counterfeit.

Traditionally, the Awori people are found in Ogun State and Lagos State, Nigeria. Towns including Isheri, Ota, Igbesa, Agbara, Ilobi, Tigbo are all Awori settlements within today's Ogun State (created 1976) in Nigeria.

I'm from Igbęsá in Ogun State and that's why I always speak against the brown teeth bandit.
Re: British Encylopedia describes Fierce Igbo & Ijebu Resistance Before Colonialism by temitope27(m): 4:18pm On Jun 03, 2021
ThEGodFaThEr101:

Which Lagosians are Ijebu?
Is it the Aworis from badagry or Lagos Island?
The real lagosians are the Aworis, these are the real owners of Lagos. Everyother Yoruba Lagosians are counterfeit.

Traditionally, the Awori people are found in Ogun State and Lagos State, Nigeria. Towns including Isheri, Ota, Igbesa, Agbara, Ilobi, Tigbo are all Awori settlements within today's Ogun State (created 1976) in Nigeria.

I'm from Igbęsá in Ogun State and that's why I always speak against the brown teeth bandit.
there are ijebu than awori in Lagos, even the ilaje's are more
Re: British Encylopedia describes Fierce Igbo & Ijebu Resistance Before Colonialism by ThEGodFaThEr101(m): 4:21pm On Jun 03, 2021
temitope27:
there are ijebu than awori in Lagos, even the ilaje's are more
I'm not disputing it. I'm only saying that the real lagosians that have been sidelined from active politics in Lagos are Aworis maybe because they are too docile that's why Tinubu all the way from Osun State took control over the state.
Re: British Encylopedia describes Fierce Igbo & Ijebu Resistance Before Colonialism by temitope27(m): 4:38pm On Jun 03, 2021
ThEGodFaThEr101:

I'm not disputing it. I'm only saying that the real lagosians that have been sidelined from active politics in Lagos are Aworis maybe because they are too docile that's why Tinubu all the way from Osun State took control over the state.
u still don't get my point, even b4 tinubu was born, the ijebu has already dominated Lagos, there are more Yoruba's in Lagos b4 tinubu even become governor, the awori are not even up to 20% of Yoruba in Lagos, so is awori the problem of tinubu. Are also telling me the dominant of saraki's family in kwara is because they are foolish there,even thou there father is from ogun state? No, is because they know how to play politics well cos people don't care where you're from in as much as they get what they need from you there ready to work for you
Re: British Encylopedia describes Fierce Igbo & Ijebu Resistance Before Colonialism by buckeyemedia: 5:44pm On Jun 03, 2021
PeaceforNigeria:

They resisted the mighty British with spears and arrows - now they have AK47. Case closed.
They will drop bombs on you from the heavens, fighting with your pistol ak47.
Re: British Encylopedia describes Fierce Igbo & Ijebu Resistance Before Colonialism by Nobody: 5:46pm On Jun 03, 2021
buckeyemedia:
They will drop bombs on you from the heavens, fighting with your pistol ak47.

Shoulder launched - job done
Re: British Encylopedia describes Fierce Igbo & Ijebu Resistance Before Colonialism by buckeyemedia: 5:48pm On Jun 03, 2021
ThEGodFaThEr101:

Lagos is a cosmopolitan state, no big deal if the Governor is a Lebanese, Aworis, or no yoruba tribes developed Lagos State, Lagos is a national project from the very first contact with the Portuguese.
Re: British Encylopedia describes Fierce Igbo & Ijebu Resistance Before Colonialism by buckeyemedia: 5:52pm On Jun 03, 2021
PeaceforNigeria:

Shoulder launched - job done
I believe you saw the way Israel plummeted The Palestine? It will be too late then to be shouting Ibeg. No be like Boko Haram wey they fight inside desert, talking urban warfare in Southern Nigeria?
Re: British Encylopedia describes Fierce Igbo & Ijebu Resistance Before Colonialism by Nobody: 6:10pm On Jun 03, 2021
buckeyemedia:
I believe you saw the way Israel plummeted The Palestine? It will be too late then to be shouting Ibeg. No be like Boko Haram wey they fight inside desert, talking urban warfare in Southern Nigeria?

Comparing Israel to Nigeria is comedy gone too far cheesy

(1) (Reply)

IPOB Vs Niger Delta Vs YORUBAS Vs FULANI (pics) / 2023: We Can No Longer Pretend About Presidency From The South – Umahi / Troops' Convoy Involved In A Ghastly Accident As They Rush To Repel Boko Haram.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.