Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,090 members, 7,849,412 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 08:56 PM

In Praise Of The Unknown Ancient Nigerian Artists - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / In Praise Of The Unknown Ancient Nigerian Artists (709 Views)

Getting Subdued By The "Unknown":medically Proven Or Spiritual? / In Praise Of Corruption / Femi Falana: In Praise Of Principles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

In Praise Of The Unknown Ancient Nigerian Artists by tpia5: 11:15am On May 03, 2011
I was going through some pictures of ancient nigerian art, and i must say, much of it was pretty impressive , surreal and whimsical.
Re: In Praise Of The Unknown Ancient Nigerian Artists by tpia5: 11:21am On May 03, 2011
Most, if not all, of the artists who created these sculptures are unknown and lost in the annals of history, yet their legacy remains till this day. They did a lot to help the image of the black african man and their value cant be overrated.

Like the memorials to the unknown soldiers, i think they deserve some recognition.

Looking at the nok sculptures, for examples, is always a rewarding experience. Likewise many other ones across nigeria.

Some of these Artworks are also not necessarily associated with rituals, but seem to have been done for purely aesthetic reasons- a wonder for that time, centuries ago.

(1) (Reply)

The Beast: Obama's Armoured Car Gets Stuck On A Ramp / Tayo Aderinokun Dead: How True? / Woman Stealing From Churchgoers When They Take Communion (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.