Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,148 members, 7,811,270 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:58 AM

Ielts Reading Tips - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Ielts Reading Tips (263 Views)

Finish Your IELTS Reading Test In 50 Minutes!!! / Tips For Scoring 7.5-8.5 In IELTS Reading / Top 6 Ielts Reading Tips That You Need To Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Ielts Reading Tips by Babadina1(m): 12:14am On Jun 07, 2021
IELTS READING
TIPS FOR READING
IELTS reading test is a very tricky test and all the same easy to tackle but that depends on how
much you are familiar with the gimmicks of this test. Most students usually fail or get low band
score in this test but that due to not being able to decode the gimmicks of this test. Here are
some useful things to do and to watch out for in the IELTS reading test;
1. GET ACQUAINTED WITH ALL READING QUESTION TYPES; Matching headings, fill in the gaps,
diagram, true, false and not given, matching paragraphs, summary completion, list selection,
choosing a title and other question types I might not have mentioned.
2. HAVE A VERY BROAD IDEA OF SYNONYMS AND ANTONYMS WORDS; Most students
preparing for the IELTS reading test finds it annoying and disappointing when they fail, but one of
the major reasons for students failure is lack of lots of synonyms and antonyms running through
their heads. For instance, in your question, you see 'veer' most students would find it difficult to
understand what 'veer' means and would even wonder whether it's an English word but 'veer'
means 'move'. It's only students who have a broad knowledge of synonyms and antonyms
who would be able to tackle IELTS reading questions. Once you are good with antonyms and
synonyms, you're 70% to a good band score.
3. GET A WAY TO TACKLE EACH QUESTION TYPES; Most students find the IELTS reading test
annoying because they don't have a specific way to tackle the IELTS reading test and when they
eventually go for their test they lose their confidence due to tension because they have a lot of
strategies running through their head during the test. You should have a specific way of dealing
with each question types. I got a band 6.0 in my IELTS reading test due to the lack of having a specific
system to tackle each question types.
4. ALWAYS PUT YOURSELF ON EXAM CONDITION DURING PRACTICE.
IELTS reading test is for 60mins. It looks like it's a very long time but trust me, it's a very short
time when you put yourself on exam condition due to tension, complications of questions as you
proceed and all other circumstances involved during the test. You need to answer 40 questions
in 60mins, so you need to work on time management to complete this task within
50-55mins so you can have time to go back to questions you are unsure of the answers to or don't
have an idea on the answer as at the time you tried it. Also endeavour to build your confidence
across all section of the test, it's is very vital.
5. SEARCH FOR KEYWORDS; This is the completion of the remaining 30% to 'kill' the IELTS
reading test in the completion of synonyms and antonyms which is 70%. With these two, I can
bet that you're good to achieve a band 7+ in your IELTS reading test. Keywords, antonyms and
synonyms are the perfect tools to combat this test also do not forget your skimming and
scanning skill also it's very crucial.
WATCH OUT FOR THESE THINGS
1. WATCH OUT FOR NEGATIVE AND POSITIVE GRAMMARS; IELTS mostly make use of positive
and negative words in their questions, answers and essays just to confuse a lot of students. 'I was also
prey to this trap but I eventually overcame it before my actual IELTS reading test'
2. MAKE SURE NOT TO SPEND MUCH TIME; Don't spend much of your time on a particular
question, you can easily leave it and come back for it rather than spending much time on such
questions, but do not let this be too frequent as it would slow you much more down when you
have a lot of questions unanswered and coming back for.
3. DON'T ATTEMPT TO READ THE WHOLE PASSAGE IT'S DANGEROUS!; Reading all the passage would consume your time that's why you need to use your skimming and scanning skills and broad
knowledge of antonyms and synonyms also do not forget your 30% (KEYWORDS)
I hope this would help a little, for more information on the IELTS reading, listening, speaking and
writing test, contact me on 09069955111 or babadinaemmanuel@gmail.com
Thanks for your time!
Re: Ielts Reading Tips by Babadina1(m): 12:24am On Jun 07, 2021
Feel free to contact me on 09069955111 or babadinaemmanuel@gmail.com

(1) (Reply)

University Of Calabar Getting Worst Everyday With New (female) VC / Best Boarding School In Nigeria / Update On Y2021 / 2022 Admission Into Lagos State Model Colleges And Upgraded Ju

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.