Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,345 members, 7,819,230 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:05 PM

Buhari Regime Will Prosecute Some Twitter Users To Instil Fear In Other Violator - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Regime Will Prosecute Some Twitter Users To Instil Fear In Other Violator (536 Views)

Relist Nigeria As A Violator Of Religious Freedom, US Senators Write Biden / Amaechi, A Serial Violator Of Nigeria’s Procurement Law - Premium Times / Sowore: For Revealing That Abba Kyari Has Coronavirus Buhari Regime To Detain Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari Regime Will Prosecute Some Twitter Users To Instil Fear In Other Violator by Sunofgod(m): 9:26am On Jun 09, 2021
Attorney General Abubakar Malami says the push to prosecute Nigerian Twitter users after President Muhammadu Buhari regime’s ban on the microblogging platform will deter other violators.

Nigeria’s information minister Lai Mohammed on June 4 announced the indefinite suspension of Twitter in Nigeria for double standards, alleging that Nigerians used Twitter to spread false information.

Barely 24 hours after the ban, Mr Malami sought to enforce the ban by threatening to arrest and prosecute anyone who tweets in Nigeria.

To circumvent the ban, which came without recourse to any existing law, Nigerians have been downloading VPNs and other browsers with built-in protocols that obscure their location.

“The essence of the law is to achieve stability in the country” and prosecution “will serve as a deterrence to others,” Mr Malami told the Committee to Protect Journalists via a messaging app on Tuesday.

Mr Buhari, despite the continued condemnation of his decision by the country’s major opposition party, the PDP, human rights activists, legal practitioners, and the international community, has remained adamant.

Justice minister Malmai said even though Nigeria upheld rights to free speech, such freedom “has never been absolute, unqualified and unrestrained.”

Meanwhile, Mr Malami was caught using a virtual private network (VPN) to bypass the regime’s access restriction to log into the microblogging site on Tuesday.

He gleefully announced the deactivation of his Twitter account on Facebook, not minding that he broke an order laid by Mr Buhari.

The Twitter ban followed the social media platform’s deletion of Mr Buhari’s ‘genocidal’ post against recalcitrant Igbos amidst ongoing violent attacks, especially on security forces and government facilities.

https://gazettengr.com/buhari-regime-will-prosecute-some-twitter-users-to-instil-fear-in-other-violators-malami/
Re: Buhari Regime Will Prosecute Some Twitter Users To Instil Fear In Other Violator by donbachi(m): 9:30am On Jun 09, 2021
If dis government na hunters..dem go dey kill bush meat everyday...dem like hunting die.
Re: Buhari Regime Will Prosecute Some Twitter Users To Instil Fear In Other Violator by Jostoman: 9:49am On Jun 09, 2021
They should start from malami before we can take them serious.
Re: Buhari Regime Will Prosecute Some Twitter Users To Instil Fear In Other Violator by Nobody: 9:55am On Jun 09, 2021
We dey wait the arrest starting from El rufai
Re: Buhari Regime Will Prosecute Some Twitter Users To Instil Fear In Other Violator by Nobody: 9:56am On Jun 09, 2021
Keep digging the hole that your regime will sink into - daft set of leaders.

cool
Re: Buhari Regime Will Prosecute Some Twitter Users To Instil Fear In Other Violator by Sunofgod(m): 9:57am On Jun 09, 2021
Hypocrites.....i dare them!
Re: Buhari Regime Will Prosecute Some Twitter Users To Instil Fear In Other Violator by hcg671: 10:08am On Jun 09, 2021
Unseriouse peeps
Re: Buhari Regime Will Prosecute Some Twitter Users To Instil Fear In Other Violator by Nobody: 10:11am On Jun 09, 2021
I don't even use Twitter that much sef (too much negativity) it's YouTube ban that will make me protest
Re: Buhari Regime Will Prosecute Some Twitter Users To Instil Fear In Other Violator by Penguin2: 10:11am On Jun 09, 2021
I hope the cow will start the prosecution from himself because he used VPN to access Twitter too.

Nama
Re: Buhari Regime Will Prosecute Some Twitter Users To Instil Fear In Other Violator by freeborn02: 10:11am On Jun 09, 2021
I hope it will prosecute Malami also for flaunting the lawless law.
Re: Buhari Regime Will Prosecute Some Twitter Users To Instil Fear In Other Violator by globalresource: 10:16am On Jun 09, 2021
We will start with the useless AGF first. Omo ale ni Malami
Re: Buhari Regime Will Prosecute Some Twitter Users To Instil Fear In Other Violator by globalresource: 10:16am On Jun 09, 2021
LordVoldermort:
I don't even use Twitter that much sef (too much negativity) it's YouTube ban that will make me protest

Oh you will wait till they ban YouTube? Lol

1 Like

Re: Buhari Regime Will Prosecute Some Twitter Users To Instil Fear In Other Violator by Nobody: 10:20am On Jun 09, 2021
globalresource:

Oh you will wait till they ban YouTube? Lol
Yes naw
Re: Buhari Regime Will Prosecute Some Twitter Users To Instil Fear In Other Violator by mbaise1000: 10:31am On Jun 09, 2021
[color=#006600][/color]
globalresource:
We will start with the useless AGF first. Omo ale ni Malami

The malami malam doesn't even know he already broke his law already
Re: Buhari Regime Will Prosecute Some Twitter Users To Instil Fear In Other Violator by Agbegbaorogboye: 10:39am On Jun 09, 2021
The funny thing is I've not even see twitter make any move to placate the Nigerian government in this matter. Not even a representative from twitter has met with our government. Talk about mega "I no send you". Thought zombies said Twitter is losing money and Jack Dorsey is crying
Re: Buhari Regime Will Prosecute Some Twitter Users To Instil Fear In Other Violator by joeyfire(m): 10:49am On Jun 09, 2021
LordVoldermort:

If they try YouTube I will lead the protest

(1) (Reply)

2023 Presidency: Zoning Can’t Stop Tinubu From Clinching APC Ticket, Says Ex-min / Give No Breathing Space To Terrorists, Buhari Charged Troops In Borno / Twitter’s Founder, Jack Dorsey Must Be Liable For Endsars Losses To Lift Ban -FG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.