Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,128 members, 7,818,381 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:59 PM

Lagos Cab Drivers Set To Ditch Uber, Bolt For Indigenous App Companies - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Lagos Cab Drivers Set To Ditch Uber, Bolt For Indigenous App Companies (27376 Views)

Do Loan App Companies Still Messages To Defaulters Contact After Defaulting / Cab Drivers Move To Dump Uber, Bolt, Partner Indigenous Ride Sharing Apps / Taxify/uber Partners And Drivers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Cab Drivers Set To Ditch Uber, Bolt For Indigenous App Companies by OgeFather(m): 8:34am On Jun 10, 2021
I'm Impressed to say the least but the truth is, it's not enough to say we want a new indigenous app if reasons behind it is not pure and true . Some of this drivers are crooks, I've always wanted to join this e hailing business but when I see what these drivers do to car owners, I weep, they'll go offline and do their business then when car owners complain they'll blame Uber and taxify. I just hope the so called new indigenous app will put a proper check in place to help car owners get their money too or are the drivers pushing for it because they've seen a proper means of exploiting their masters
Re: Lagos Cab Drivers Set To Ditch Uber, Bolt For Indigenous App Companies by BigBashiru: 8:40am On Jun 10, 2021
wwwihy:
Nigeria finally ditching foreign imperialists.

But some miscreants are having inferiority complex
imperialism only has to do with foreign governments not foreign private entities. The average nigerian only wants money and nothing else. Uber and bolt are excellent and I doubt a local company will be able to beat them because all the local company wants is money without concern for quality; soon lack of maintenance culture will eat them up.
Re: Lagos Cab Drivers Set To Ditch Uber, Bolt For Indigenous App Companies by Kingfragz: 8:44am On Jun 10, 2021
Make una come pursue me comot for bolt na ...mumu people.....
Make dat president talk how much be em own cut for the commission... nonsense..
Re: Lagos Cab Drivers Set To Ditch Uber, Bolt For Indigenous App Companies by optm(m): 9:03am On Jun 10, 2021
quentin06:

Why do we need middlemen to hail a cab?
I prefer the idea of a locally made app, can't pin my hopes on foreign apps owned by foreigners who pay no tax to the local govt.
is your concern hailing a cab through a middle man or that it is a foreign enterprise? The locally made app would also be acting as a middle man for the service. If at all your assumption of the foreigners not paying tax, then it isnt their fault but the nigerian system that has made it so
Re: Lagos Cab Drivers Set To Ditch Uber, Bolt For Indigenous App Companies by udemzyudex(m): 9:05am On Jun 10, 2021
wwwihy:

Simply because they are asking a question you've refuse to ask?
Re: Lagos Cab Drivers Set To Ditch Uber, Bolt For Indigenous App Companies by Kalubolt(m): 9:17am On Jun 10, 2021
nwigwemark:
From the write up I can understand that the drivers are only interested in Uber and Taxify increasing the transportation fares so that they will get more money.

We are always selfish and I am very sure that this will fail from ab initio because as they leave the platform of Über and Taxify, more drivers will definitely get onboard and I am 10000% sure that the so called local app can never compete with the established companies
Thank you very much. I am a driver on the Bolt/Taxify app. Most of my colleagues are selfish and greedy. With the current fare and 20% commission we still make 40k every week aside the car delivery and other expenses
Re: Lagos Cab Drivers Set To Ditch Uber, Bolt For Indigenous App Companies by Kalubolt(m): 9:22am On Jun 10, 2021
I am Bolt/Taxify driver. What I see from my colleagues is greed and selfishness. With the current fare and 20% commission, we still make atleast 40k weekly aside the car delivery and other expenses. Just bcus Bolt and Uber didn't increase the fare to hurt riders that's why they are crying and happy for a new app that they don't know how those ones will work out. The greedy drivers won't tell you about the 13k weekly bonuses and 3k Saturday and Sunday bonuses.
Re: Lagos Cab Drivers Set To Ditch Uber, Bolt For Indigenous App Companies by Nobody: 9:33am On Jun 10, 2021
unmask:
Hopefully the new apps work. We had one in PH before Bolt came in. Was never able to successfully take one trip.

Pamdrive was a joke
Poor mgt
Re: Lagos Cab Drivers Set To Ditch Uber, Bolt For Indigenous App Companies by Nobody: 9:34am On Jun 10, 2021
Rates are so poor these days I dash drivers extra when I use user.. cause its not easy
Re: Lagos Cab Drivers Set To Ditch Uber, Bolt For Indigenous App Companies by efficiencie(m): 9:46am On Jun 10, 2021
wonder233:
As a private car owner driving on those foreign platforms, I say this is a most welcome development.
For those expressing fear and mentioning DStv, your fears are unfounded, this is just an app, it doesn't require the same infrastructure that cable tv requires. The key things we've been demanding: a union, passenger profiling, reduced commission, competitive fares and a human faced customer service for drivers. They conveniently ignored.

...all of these you have said are just benefiting the drivers and they do not aim to satisfy consumers...and you will need a big spending investor who is willing to face the risks of going toe to toe against Bolt/Uber...as it stands Bolt/Uber provide services that benefit the consumers and I can imagine what the cost of the indigenous apps would be to their customers...Uber/Bolt will ultimately knock the competition out of business because they aim at boosting consumer experience at affordable fares. The agitation of the so called union is from the competitive fares of Uber/Bolt compared to the regular cabs and it seems Uber/Bolt is pricing the regular cabs out of business and they are revolting like kids...however, I think getting customer profiles is quite important for security reasons.
Re: Lagos Cab Drivers Set To Ditch Uber, Bolt For Indigenous App Companies by Nobody: 10:04am On Jun 10, 2021
optm:
is your concern hailing a cab through a middle man or that it is a foreign enterprise? The locally made app would also be acting as a middle man for the service. If at all your assumption of the foreigners not paying tax, then it isnt their fault but the nigerian system that has made it so
Didn't say all foreigners don't pay tax.
Have you been to Lagos lately? Do you know how difficult it is to commute if you don't own a vehicle, keke , bikes banned, buses are not enough, think the LGSG lacks focus on transport matters.
Re: Lagos Cab Drivers Set To Ditch Uber, Bolt For Indigenous App Companies by Nobody: 10:07am On Jun 10, 2021
mmsen:

Because sadly many taxi drivers are dishonest (all over the world) and cannot give clear honest pricing. If they had working meters that would be one thing but even that is beyond many of them, especially in Nigeria. Hence we have third party apps that offer clarity when it comes to pricing and mode of payment.

Taxi cab drivers are the same allover, before you judge them consider the hazards they face from police, lastma, thugs, vehicle owners, passengers, fuel and maintenance.
How does a business model created by individuals in another country who know nothing of our transport system address this?
We need local solutions to our local problems, copy n paste won't work.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Cab Drivers Set To Ditch Uber, Bolt For Indigenous App Companies by alizma: 10:16am On Jun 10, 2021
They want to get another hurry hurry independent.
Why dropping the two at the same time, why not drop one and set competition between one old app and on new one and see how the new one compete favourably with the old one before finally dropping the last of the old ones?
Re: Lagos Cab Drivers Set To Ditch Uber, Bolt For Indigenous App Companies by wonder233: 10:34am On Jun 10, 2021
I take it that you are a consumer and not an agent of uber/Bolt. Now if you're just a customer, then you should be happy for more competition entering into the field as this can only be to your advantage. We all know how Glo forced others to adopt per second billing at a time they all swore it was impossible. Even though today most people still use Airtel and MTN, the presence of Glo and 9mobile (both indigenous companies) is what is making these foreign guys not rip you apart. So, I'm surprised when I read comments such as yours opposing and denigrating...is it a case of Stockholm syndrome? Competition that will force down prices for you, you are opposing it. Na wa o
efficiencie:

...all of these you have said are just benefiting the drivers and they do not aim to satisfy consumers...and you will need a big spending investor who is willing to face the risks of going toe to toe against Bolt/Uber...as it stands Bolt/Uber provide services that benefit the consumers and I can imagine what the cost of the indigenous apps would be to their customers...Uber/Bolt will ultimately knock the competition out of business because they aim at boosting consumer experience at affordable fares. The agitation of the so called union is from the competitive fares of Uber/Bolt compared to the regular cabs and it seems Uber/Bolt is pricing the regular cabs out of business and they are revolting like kids...however, I think getting customer profiles is quite important for security reasons.
Re: Lagos Cab Drivers Set To Ditch Uber, Bolt For Indigenous App Companies by clothingonline(m): 10:44am On Jun 10, 2021
I will support anything Indigenous
Re: Lagos Cab Drivers Set To Ditch Uber, Bolt For Indigenous App Companies by wonder233: 10:54am On Jun 10, 2021
I am also a Bolt driver. Stop misleading the public: the bonuses are not automatic, you have to complete a stringent number of conditions to earn them, 55 rides, 90% acceptance and completion rates, etc. By the time you work like Jacky to meet those conditions, you have worked yourself to the ground and your car must develop one major fault that will take all the money and more. Then because you don't want to default on the acceptance rate, you can't reject rides even your instincts tells you is dangerous cos no matter what reason you give for rejecting a ride your activity rating dips and you get threatened with permenant deactivation. They are so eager to please customers and treat you like disposable diapers because they know people like you will take anything.
How many times have you gone on long trips with numerous passenger delays and at the end of the day the passenger is charged a paltry fee? Is your self-esteem that low? You don't think you deserve anything? How many times have passengers themselves told you they don't agree with what they were charged that it was too small and even dashed you out of pity? How about proper passenger profiling nko? We've been appealing for this since. You still see a request no proper name just "Don X" "Miss K". How many drivers have lost their lives or their cars? They dangle bonus with strict conditions to you, you're coming here to spew stuff. As a driver, increased competition is to your advantage, you can decide the best company to work for and they will all be eager to give you the best working conditions. So stop asslicking
Kalubolt:
I am Bolt/Taxify driver. What I see from my colleagues is greed and selfishness. With the current fare and 20% commission, we still make atleast 40k weekly aside the car delivery and other expenses. Just bcus Bolt and Uber didn't increase the fare to hurt riders that's why they are crying and happy for a new app that they don't know how those ones will work out. The greedy drivers won't tell you about the 13k weekly bonuses and 3k Saturday and Sunday bonuses.
Re: Lagos Cab Drivers Set To Ditch Uber, Bolt For Indigenous App Companies by 27Pushing30: 10:58am On Jun 10, 2021
Nigerians must understand this... INDIGENOUS (LOCAL) CONTENT IS KEY IN ANY STATE THAT SEEKS TO RISE TO THE TOP

OUR LOVE FOR "FOREIGN" NEEDS TO END
Re: Lagos Cab Drivers Set To Ditch Uber, Bolt For Indigenous App Companies by hola106(m): 11:29am On Jun 10, 2021
Nice move
Re: Lagos Cab Drivers Set To Ditch Uber, Bolt For Indigenous App Companies by einsteine(m): 11:38am On Jun 10, 2021
wonder233:
As a private car owner driving on those foreign platforms, I say this is a most welcome development.
For those expressing fear and mentioning DStv, your fears are unfounded, this is just an app, it doesn't require the same infrastructure that cable tv requires. The key things we've been demanding: a union, passenger profiling, reduced commission, competitive fares and a human faced customer service for drivers. They conveniently ignored.

Why do you need a union? To exploit customers abi?

To create new MC Oluomos?

You drivers are very greedy and these measures will only lead to increased fares for riders. Thankfully, you guys will not be able to force drivers from Bolt or Uber and the riders will remain there. Conclusion: the new apps will fail
Re: Lagos Cab Drivers Set To Ditch Uber, Bolt For Indigenous App Companies by texazzpete(m): 11:41am On Jun 10, 2021
wwwihy:

It’s just an app, bro. Not a battleground. Na you get inferiority complex to be looking at demons everywhere.

This thing no even get anything to do with foreign owned vs indigenous sef. Power brokers are chasing Uber and Bolt out of the market to install apps they have personal stakes in.

People are cashing out and leaving the broke l, ignorant people to be arguing about patriotism grin

Dem Dey laugh people like you for Ikoyi club.
Re: Lagos Cab Drivers Set To Ditch Uber, Bolt For Indigenous App Companies by einsteine(m): 11:42am On Jun 10, 2021
wonder233:
I take it that you are a consumer and not an agent of uber/Bolt. Now if you're just a customer, then you should be happy for more competition entering into the field as this can only be to your advantage. We all know how Glo forced others to adopt per second billing at a time they all swore it was impossible. Even though today most people still use Airtel and MTN, the presence of Glo and 9mobile (both indigenous companies) is what is making these foreign guys not rip you apart. So, I'm surprised when I read comments such as yours opposing and denigrating...is it a case of Stockholm syndrome? Competition that will force down prices for you, you are opposing it. Na wa o

Nope. This would INCREASE prices not force down prices. This new app is being pushed by a drivers' union. What is the major purpose of such unions? Price fixing. How can you have union and competition in the same sentence? There is no plan for competition here, rather it is an attempt to push prices up so that drivers' can unduly earn more
Re: Lagos Cab Drivers Set To Ditch Uber, Bolt For Indigenous App Companies by wonder233: 12:33pm On Jun 10, 2021
Competition can never increase prices, its the opposite. As for the union, even workers in sectors with stiff competition belong to unions food, beverage, tobacco, FMCG etc all have unions. Unions don't increase prices, only serves to protect interests of members. Let me give you just two examples: many drivers have been killed in the line of work and the app companies couldn't even help the police with investigations not because they were unwilling but because they didn't properly profile and vet users of their platform. Secondly countless times, the app stops reading and a passenger is charged a ridiculously low fare. No customer service for the driver only for the customer. You can oppose this, but know that a rider today could be a driver tomorrow
einsteine:

Nope. This would INCREASE prices not force down prices. This new app is being pushed by a drivers' union. What is the major purpose of such unions? Price fixing. How can you have union and competition in the same sentence? There is no plan for competition here, rather it is an attempt to push prices up so that drivers' can unduly earn more
Re: Lagos Cab Drivers Set To Ditch Uber, Bolt For Indigenous App Companies by wonder233: 12:50pm On Jun 10, 2021
Same Ikoyi club the foreign Mr Smiths and Mr Greens are also wining and dining with their local business counterparts? Bro what concerns me as a driver is simply the platform that offers me the best price and conditions of service. Monopoly or duopoly can't give me that. Only a market with multiple players can guarantee that. Same for you a customer, the more platforms, the better for you to choose from.
texazzpete:

It’s just an app, bro. Not a battleground. Na you get inferiority complex to be looking at demons everywhere.

This thing no even get anything to do with foreign owned vs indigenous sef. Power brokers are chasing Uber and Bolt out of the market to install apps they have personal stakes in.

People are cashing out and leaving the broke l, ignorant people to be arguing about patriotism grin

Dem Dey laugh people like you for Ikoyi club.
Re: Lagos Cab Drivers Set To Ditch Uber, Bolt For Indigenous App Companies by optm(m): 12:56pm On Jun 10, 2021
quentin06:

Didn't say all foreigners don't pay tax.
Have you been to Lagos lately? Do you know how difficult it is to commute if you don't own a vehicle, keke , bikes banned, buses are not enough, think the LGSG lacks focus on transport matters.
i think this is a different issue entirely. Yes the govt isn't doing enough as regards transportation system and the yellow buses drivers are exploiting commuters with their high fare price and indescriminate increase at every slight opportunity
Re: Lagos Cab Drivers Set To Ditch Uber, Bolt For Indigenous App Companies by wonder233: 1:06pm On Jun 10, 2021
There is no MC Oluomo scenario here. I own my car, its a private car, unmarked. Nobody can ever stop me and say him and I are in a union. So, its not the MC Oluomo type of union, this is just a voluntary coming together by various private individuals for the purpose of getting better service conditions. Currently, uber charges 25percent commission, bolt 20percent. They could charge 15 or even 10percent and still make humongous profits while the driver earns a bit more and the customer fare isn't increased. Then, they could address some other concerns like proper passenger profiling. Abroad, both the passenger and driver are properly profiled for each's safety, but in Nigeria, only the driver is properly profiled for the passenger's safety and not vice versa. You know how many drivers have been killed, robbed, etc? When police asks the ehailing company for the passenger's profile, all they registered was "Don X", "Mhiz K", etc.
einsteine:

Re: Lagos Cab Drivers Set To Ditch Uber, Bolt For Indigenous App Companies by Care4: 1:06pm On Jun 10, 2021
sapientia:
Can they handle it?

Its not about ditching and shouting indigenous company

They should not cause hardship for Lagosians with lack of planning

To develop an app is very easy until you have to handle a lot of requests

Well, i wish the company well if its not a one man business

It is an agenda. e go soon clear for their mind.
Re: Lagos Cab Drivers Set To Ditch Uber, Bolt For Indigenous App Companies by yom2(m): 1:10pm On Jun 10, 2021
kenex4ever:
Greatest news I have heard in a long time.

It's a shame that we have programmers and IT gurus but keep relying on external for the simplest apps.
how many indigenous things has worked effectively?
Re: Lagos Cab Drivers Set To Ditch Uber, Bolt For Indigenous App Companies by DrinkWater10: 1:22pm On Jun 10, 2021
HEAVEN4444:
i am not dropping my debit card ddetails for an indigenous app company grin grin grin grin

the driver better take cash
How about indigenous bet companies and indigenous e commerce companies?
Re: Lagos Cab Drivers Set To Ditch Uber, Bolt For Indigenous App Companies by HEAVEN4444: 1:26pm On Jun 10, 2021
DrinkWater10:

How about indigenous bet companies and indigenous e commerce companies?
strictly cash. i have seen how easy it is to violate your bank account in nigeria. in fact the old school way is the best. an account with no online capabilities. you go into the bank and sign yourself befoore they give you the money grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Restaurateur Cries Out After Being Confronted With Bills Worth Millions By FIRS / CBN’s dollar restrictions killing our businesses, Nigerians cry out / Dele Momodu And Femi Otedola Pose By Otedola's Yacht (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.