Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,476 members, 7,816,122 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:48 AM

Konyin Keyboard And Naira Symbol - Computer Market - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Computer Market / Konyin Keyboard And Naira Symbol (8341 Views)

Replace Your Keyboard And Batteries Here! / Pentium3 Desktop With Keyboard And Mouse For Sale 5k Only / Vantium V1 (tabletpc) Leather Case With Inbuilt Keyboard And Quick Office Apps (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Konyin Keyboard And Naira Symbol by Ikeman(m): 8:50pm On Feb 09, 2006
I am trying to understand why we Nigerians tend to turn blind side to efforts of other commendable Nigerians.

The issue here is very simple;Functionality.
There are many ways to add Naira Symbol to your text or document.
1. You can find a Naira symbol and then cut and paste [₦].
2. You can use the [=N=]
3. If you want to use a keyboard that is designed from the ground up for all Nigerian languages including English and Nigerian Currency, then get www.konyin.com keyboard.

Now to my pet peeve.
--------------------------
We have a product out there called Konyin keyboard. This is an end product of years of work by Nigerians for Nigerians. I cannot understand if we have a genetic disorder or just a curse. Why not patronize a good effort? At the onset, I got to know about this keyboard because some of my friends called it a 419. Why why why. It's not an Igbo me if that is what you want to know also. So what its an Igbo made ? Embrace it, we all have to start from somewhere, don't we ?

As typical Nigerians, we all sit here and talk about cut and paste instead of supporting our fellow Nigerians with the first and only physical keyboard ever made for an African Country.

Our own Nigerian Government has spent the last 25+ years and millions of $$$ trying to create a typewriter and now a computer VIRTUAL keyboard. So far they have been able to come up with a VIRTUAL [software based] keyboard for three languages [Yoruba, Igbo and Hausa]. Obvious question here is; what happened to the other Nigerian Languages ? I guess there not important.
Never the less its a great effort by the Nigerian Government.

Seun, ever wonder why your cut and paste does not work in the real world?.
Maybe you should tell people in the USA, China or Japan to cut and paste their currency symbols to their documents and calculation fields in Excel or other applications. Geee wake up !!! Tell them they dont need their own country specific keyboard. You have a better and ingenious idea called "cut and paste"

Ever wonder why a country of over 150 million people does not have basic computerized identification system?.
We cannot spell our names correctly, we cannot represent our currency symbol with "cut and paste". I am not talking about tonal marks or tribal marks just yet. Just simply sub dots and currency symbol. Now we have a keyboard that has solved this issue. Were still talking about cut and paste !!!!!!! Geeeee

National Information and Technology Development (NITDA) has embraced this keyboard as of January this year. This is a stamp of approval from the highest Information Technology entity in Nigeria Tested and approved hands down!.
I am so proud of these guys. They did not have to wait for a white man to give up a keyboard for us to use in keeping our languages. I am proud of them. I don't need to cut and paste !!
I forgot, I need to mind my manners, had it been a Whiteman created the keyboard for us, we would have been lining his pocket with almighty dollars. Ah my brother .. na wa for you.

Try and stop this Beer parlor or should I say Buka talk about cut and paste shit. Buy the dam keyboard. It will not kill you to pay an equivalent cost of an average US dinner for two or Eko hotel dinner for 4.

BTW I have one black keyboard. I am proud to type in my native Igbo to my father and mother. Can you do the same and cut and paste Seun?. I don't think so.

Wake up Seun and lets talk more intelligently.
Use your brains and support your fellow Nigerians.

Go to their website http://www.konyin.com
Please read this links below.

http://allafrica.com/stories/200601230731.html
http://www.lancorltd.com/Keyboard.html
Cut and paste my ass!

Re: Konyin Keyboard And Naira Symbol by oasis: 11:15pm On Feb 16, 2006
I did some multilingual webpage design work a few years ago, and I got to learn a bit about special characters in documents.

The keyboard idea you suggested is cool.  But what about people around the world who simply want a naira sign?  That is where cut and paste comes in. 

Also, you have to bear in mind that just because your keyboard has a naira sign, it doesn't mean that it will display properly on other computers.  This is why you need to understand the knowledge behind special characters.

You can create a special character in HTML by using a numeric character reference.  In the case of the naira sign, you can use ₦ or ₦

For this to work however, the character encoding of your webpage must be Unicode utf-8.  This simply means you add the meta tag <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8"/> to your html code, and you have to set the font to a unicode font.  See http://www.oasisoflove.com/3/naira.html

With this simple technique, you can create almost any character in any language, including right to left languages like Arabic.

Unicode characters will also work in any document/program that supports unicode encoding, e.g. Microsoft Word.  Most recent versions of programs do support unicode.  Just make sure you have unicode fonts installed, such as Arial Unicode MS.

The topic of special characters is very complex.  If you want to know more about unicode and how to use it, visit http://www.unicode.org/.
Re: Konyin Keyboard And Naira Symbol by Ikeman(m): 5:17pm On Feb 18, 2006
I am not sure if I articulated my position well enough but i will try again below.
Let me be clear one issue, I don’t have a clue about website development.

• Now back to the core of what I stated earlier;
• You can choose to cut and paste Naira sign/symbol for whatever reason you want.
• You can choose =N= if this is the best option you prefer.
• You can even use the new &amp;#x20A6; or &amp;#8358;( not sure how to use this)
• You can also choose to use a keyboard designed for Nigeria. A Nigerian keyboard just like every developed country, American keyboard, British keyboard, Japanese, keyboard , Chinese keyboard and even Mexico has her own keyboard !!!.

I don’t believe those countries I mentioned above will settle for a cut and paste. If they did, well, I rest my case they have lots of good websites that reflect their cut and pastes I guess  IF you know something about web development, figure it out Create something that we all can benefit from and let us know. Post your services out there that you specialize in Nigerian own websites etc.

I just don’t understand why we talk virtually and not get into the physical facts. I challenge anyone out there to get konyin keyboard just as did, then come back and talk about cut and paste. Imagine writing your own father in Igbo, Hausa or Yoruba. Imagine the smile and happiness on their faces knowing fully well the efficacy of the conversation is kept in tact. Nothing is lost in translation. Oops I forgot we don’t speak our local languages anymore. We speak only English (colonial masters language) in Nigeria lol

Like I said above, cut and paste dey fine my broda, but when you use this konyin keyboard, you will never go back to cut and paste. “Man see snake and woman kill am. Wetin now? Snake don die kanpe. Na so my friend Akin dey say. It does not matter if na oyinbo make am or na Naija. We don get a Nigerian keyboard.

If this keyboard was done by a white man, we no go dey blow grammar. We go just line up and say one oyinbo man don do Nigerian keyboard. Na IBM den dey call am. That is our orientation whether we believe it or not. I am even guilty of it sometimes.

We Nigerians should encourage and support other Nigerians alike in their positive endeavors. This is how we can move our people forward. We have a golden opportunity to start documenting our languages in massive electronic dosage for future generations to come. We don’t want to fall into traps of countries like Morocco, Egypt that have practically lost everything about indigenous languages to Arabic. When out people speak English, white man say we get accent, when they speak our local languages, we say them get accent. So my broad, wetin them be ? white man slaves or self imposed mind slavery?

I know I rambled on with this keyboard issue but its something that I have gotten used to since I bought mine last year.

Also when you want to criticize anything, please do some groundwork or at least some homework. Be fair and not just do a buka talk and claim that the chief has spoken!. Facts my broda !!!

Here are Nigerians that have created the first and only Physical keyboard that you can buy, use and type any Nigerian language. my broda. , na wa for una. For anyone to talk or reply to my reply please go and use the keyboard first. At the least, borrow it from a friend that has one or try and get one somehow. At the least, find anyone that has the keyboard and get your homework done then come back and talk about web development or whatever. Let us know how bad or how good the keyboard is.
After using the keyboard, then decide to keep using =N= or cut and paste Naira.

My pet peeve is surgically directed towards Nigerians in Nigeria or Diaspora. Every Nigerian or person that consider himself or herself Nigerian speaks at lease 1.5 languages. English, your mother tongue to a point or at the least, wazobia English
Re: Konyin Keyboard And Naira Symbol by oasis: 5:49pm On Feb 18, 2006
If this keyboard was done by a white man, we no go dey blow grammar. We go just line up and say one oyinbo man don do Nigerian keyboard. Na IBM den dey call am. That is our orientation whether we believe it or not. I am even guilty of it sometimes.

It's ok to support your keyboard. I'm for innovation also. But people also need to be aware of other available options for achieving the same goal of special characters. Like I said, not everybody who needs the naira symbol lives in Nigeria, or can order your keyboard. In the absence of the special keyboard, we have to know how to create the symbol anyway.
Re: Konyin Keyboard And Naira Symbol by Ikeman(m): 9:21pm On Feb 18, 2006
Oasis,

I am beginning to sound like a broken record.

If you want to use cut and paste, use cut and paste
if you want to use =N= use this option
IF you want to use oasis keyboard use oasis keyboard.

But ,
Don’t talk about something you haven’t tried and claim to be the authority on it
If you choose not to support anything positive done by fellow Nigerians for whatever your personal reasons or religion is, so be it. Please DON’T buy it, don’t try it, don’t even use it either.

I have made my contribution and will continue to support anything good from fellow Nigerians.
I put my money where my mouth is.

I just bought two [2] copies of Yoruba proverbs written by Prof. Oyekan Owomọyẹla [ISBN0-8032-3576-3]
http://www.nebraskapress.unl.edu/bookinfo/4748.html Great coffee table reading.
This is again the first single collection from any tribe in Nigeria with about 6,000 proverbs.
We all can gain ancient wisdom from this book; whatever tribe you’re from in Nigeria.
Again I will use my favorite proverb; man see snake and woman kill am. So far we have a great collection of Nigerian Proverbs in one nice paperback. A great lifetime’s work by another Nigerian. It’s only $50.00.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0803235763/102-0975807-8462501?v=glance&n=283155

My point here is this, should I have said; since I don’t speak Yoruba fluently, or since Yoruba is not my mother tongue, I should discount his effort with the collection of ancient wisdom right in my backyard. I should just sit back and wait till an Igbo man does something I can relate to one on one?. No my broad, I bought the first copy, read it and loved it [it written in English with Yoruba translation for those fluent in Yoruba] I ordered a second copy from Amazon.com and sent it as a gift to my good Yoruba friend- The snake man. 

I bought konyin keyboard because;
http://www.konyin.com

1. I wanted to write in Igbo.
2. I wanted to be able to teach my children Igbo language.
3. I could afford it.
4. Its convenient and simple to use, I could type in English and Igbo in the same document.
5. Support anything positive from Nigerians.

It has nothing to do with cut and paste of Naira but everything to do with anyone that wants to talk about something they have never used or tried.
That is all.
Re: Konyin Keyboard And Naira Symbol by Gbenro: 9:43pm On Feb 18, 2006
You go Ikeman, give it to them!!!

I have a KỌNYIN keyboard too and I love it.

I think OASIS may have missed the point that this keyboard is some special keyboard for special uses.
My friends, it is a special keyboard for everyday uses. I actually bought it for use in my financial applications cause I needed the naira sign and it works, but also find out how easy it is to add tonal marks to alphabets for correct Nigerian letters like Ọọ, Ẹẹ, Ịị, Ụụ, Éé, Àà and so on. (Ọbasanjọ is the correct typing of Nigeria's president's name, if anybody cares)

OASIS, if you ask me, I will say this keyboard should be a must for all Nigerians, period.

Check this out:  English, Ẹdo, Ẹfik, Français, Fulañi, Hausa, Ìgbo, Kanuri, and Yorùbá - no cutting and pasting of any kind. (The naira sign will not show here because the font in use on this site does not have it. (if Seun can change the default font for the site to Microsoft Sans Serif, then all the alphabets, accents and naira characters will show very well.)

By-the-way how many Americans do you think will continue to use British keyboards (for cut and paste of dollar signs) if they are told there is now an American keyboard with Dollar sign on it?

Your alternative solution statement is OK, but why should we Nigerian settle for less?

Re: Konyin Keyboard And Naira Symbol by oasis: 10:38pm On Feb 18, 2006
Ikeman, you are indeed sounding like a broken record. You and I are on the same page, but you seem to think I'm against you in some way. No.

My point is that for people who do not live in Nigeria, and therefore cannot purchase your keyboard easily, my solution is the way to go. Why are you still arguing?
Re: Konyin Keyboard And Naira Symbol by Seun(m): 3:09pm On Mar 07, 2007
Two models of the keyboard are now available in Nigeria:
- A black model which sells for 2,750 naira.
- And a silver-black model which sells for 5,000 naira.
- No white model (based on what I can see in the ad)

Call (0803)316-1085 to order yours from LANCOR Management Limited. Don't you think it's rather expensive?

1 Like

Re: Konyin Keyboard And Naira Symbol by WesleyanA(f): 6:41am On Jun 12, 2007
yeah. but it's better for nigeria's economy to buy "made in nigeria" goods i guess. so it's worth it
Re: Konyin Keyboard And Naira Symbol by nbeet2000(m): 8:42am On Jun 12, 2007
What makes the konyin keyboard different from others is it just the naira symbol??if that is the case the guys have not done there homework well the price is on the high side.
Re: Konyin Keyboard And Naira Symbol by dblock(m): 9:02am On Jun 12, 2007
Re: Konyin Keyboard And Naira Symbol by 3dhunter(m): 11:07am On Jun 12, 2007
Insert Quote
Two models of the keyboard are now available in Nigeria:
- A black model which sells for 2,750 naira.
- And a silver-black model which sells for 5,000 naira.
- No white model (based on what I can see in the ad)

Call (0803)316-1085 to order yours from LANCOR Management Limited.  Don't you think it's rather expensive?

i wonder why it should be that expensive. or is it cost of manufacturing.

Also, why is it not popular in the market, so that one can just go in and buy. i believe that it should be in the market place competing with other keyboards
Re: Konyin Keyboard And Naira Symbol by Gbenro: 1:06am On Jun 14, 2007
Guys,

I don't think the keyboard is expensive at all.

Why?

I have had the keyboard for over a year now, though I bought it for the Naira sign ₦, the keyboard also have the €, $ & £ signs too. For a finance person like me, it is God sent, just makes my life and financial statements preparation a lot easier.

Wait, there is more, I can now type in Yorùbá and Ìgbo including letters like Ẹẹ, Ọọ, Ịị, Ṣṣ, Ụụ,  and also add tonal marks Àà, Éé, Íí, Óó, Yoùù. The keyboard is simply in a class by itself and worth it.

I think you can also buy it online at the kọnyin website, they have about 6 models there.

I like the kọnyin keyboard and think every Nigerian should have one, just my opinion.
Re: Konyin Keyboard And Naira Symbol by farleft: 9:04pm On May 08, 2012
Or you can just download a keyboard layout at http://nigeriankeyboardlayout.com that contains the ₦ as well as other Nigerian characters like ụ and ọ. Cheers!
Re: Konyin Keyboard And Naira Symbol by ariy(m): 8:58pm On Aug 05, 2013
pls, I want to buy this keyboard now. where can I get it?
Re: Konyin Keyboard And Naira Symbol by subayob: 1:41am On Jul 10, 2015
Check this reply for a software that can types Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba and English languages!
https://www.nairaland.com/search?q=truword+multilingual&search=Search
or visit www.truwordnetwork.com or call 2348032322276.

(1) (Reply)

Best Deals On Memory Cards And Flash Drives / Memory Card-Micro SD Card For Sale Price: N1,200 Frm Banjul Nig. Ltd / Brand New OTG(usb) Cable for Tecno A7,s2,s3,s4,Note 8.0 ,Tecno Pad etc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.