Welcome, Guest: Join Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 2,689,646 members, 6,336,380 topics. Date: Sunday, 13 June 2021 at 01:30 AM

An Hacker's Guide To Communicating Securely In Nigeria - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / An Hacker's Guide To Communicating Securely In Nigeria (137 Views)

Creativity Of An Hacker / For N300 Per Month You Can Now Host Your Blog/website Securely. / Inspire To Be An HACKER? Come In Then.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

An Hacker's Guide To Communicating Securely In Nigeria by EvilSec: 7:37pm On Jun 10
Was about opening my second bottle of bourbon for the day, when I thought about writing a quick guide to communicating securely in Nigeria (a country that detests free speech).

It's no longer news that the Nigerian government can track you down and lock you up if you speak against them. I would like to explain how to secure your communications (but I guess this will be more useful for activists) and the methods I recommend.

The tldr is simple: Use Tor, use Signal -- unless your life depends upon them.

If your life depends upon the security of your communications, then there is no substitute for learning how these things work. Experts might also use Tor and Signal -- but not in the ways naive users would that would expose their privacy. Experts might use something else... If you wait until your life depends upon it (such as when you've suddenly decided to take up arms against the Nigerian government), then it's probably too late. The government will already have access to all the communications records up to that point.

"But EvilSec, how are you sure they have access to comm records up to that point??"
Well it's simple. The phone company keeps a record of all SMS messages and calls indefinitely. Even if both sides delete the messages or calls from their phones, all SMS messages and calls are preserved and searchable by the government and they don't even need a warrant.

Thus, you should be using privacy protecting technologies now, such as the Brave browser (when not using Tor), Signal/WhatsApp/iMessage for routine communications, and so on. Signal (and some others) use end-to-end encryption, meaning it's impossible for anybody in between to eavesdrop on your messages/call -- not even Signal itself. But this does not protect the ends. If you've been tricked into installing malware on your phone, the malware is on the "end" and thus can eavesdrop on anything that end does. Nor does it protect metadata. Eavesdroppers can't know the contents of a phonecall, but will know that you are using Signal, and will often know who it is you are calling.

Also remember that your phone is a GPS tracker. Your phone keeps a log of its own location to an accuracy of a few feet. The nearby celltowers keep records of your location with varying accuracy which can often be less than 20 feet, but is usually more like 500 feet. Your phone updates its log every few minutes, so if they get your phone from you and run forensics, they can draw map where you've been. Celltower records update much less frequently.

So stay safe out there everyone and I hope you learnt a thing or two from this.

1 Like

Re: An Hacker's Guide To Communicating Securely In Nigeria by EvilSec: 7:40pm On Jun 10
Btw, anyone got Whiskey recommendations?

(1) (Reply)

Going Into Software Engineering? You Don't Want To Miss This / Would You Need A Game Developer / How To Unlock MTN Wifi 3G

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2021 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.