Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,744 members, 7,817,055 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:26 AM

Some Common Snakes Of Nairaland (Photos) - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Some Common Snakes Of Nairaland (Photos) (1720 Views)

"My Kinsmen Are Killing My Snakes" - Ebonyi Man Cries Out! / Bobby Saxy Rules Pet Section Of Nairaland...if U Blive Drop Ur Comments / [GET IN HERE]... My Observation Of Nairaland Pet Section (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Some Common Snakes Of Nairaland (Photos) by pocohantas(f): 9:30pm On Jun 11, 2021
Nairalanders have a penchant for killing snakes, so we might as well meet our snakes grin. After reading this thread, you should be able to identify the common snakes Nairalander kill and know the one not to kill.

1-AFRICAN ROCK PYTHON;

I put this first because it is the most common here. Pythons are easy targets because they are NON-VENOMOUS and not confrontational. They are also big in size. As constrictors, their strength lies in their sizes, so the full grown ones come big. They are the snakes you see swallowing goats and dogs upandan. Majority of the pythons we have around pose no threat to a grown human.

1 Like

Re: Some Common Snakes Of Nairaland (Photos) by pocohantas(f): 9:31pm On Jun 11, 2021
2- GABOON VIPER;

I am in love with this snake because of its skin. You can’t miss it. It belongs to the family, viperidae and it is the largest of the family I must add. They are usually short and fat. Gaboon vipers are masters of disguise and despite being one of the deadliest snakes in the world, would rarely bite humans. When it bites, it is nice enough to decide if it should inject no venom, small venom or full dose. However, bites mostly occur when humans won’t just leave them alone or mistakenly step on them before they get away. When in their natural habitat, their colour blends with fallen leaves, making it harder to spot them.

Gaboon vipers are HIGHLY VENOMOUS snakes blessed with the longest fangs amongst venomous snakes.

How fast can its bite kill you? If left untreated, you would die in minutes.

Re: Some Common Snakes Of Nairaland (Photos) by pocohantas(f): 9:31pm On Jun 11, 2021
3- FOREST COBRA;

Another popular one and a member of the elapid family. Like most snakes, it is aggressive, albeit shy and would generally avoid humans. In fact, most snakes do not set out for the day with plans of biting humans.

When faced with a threat, it would do its best to get away. If cornered, it would typically get into an upright position and let out a hiss. Its initial aim is to intimidate you into backing off so it can get away.

The forest cobra is also an aggressive defender (think Ramos) and unlike the gaboon viper, would deliver a large dose of venom in a single bite. This makes it harder to survive its bite.

It is one of the spitting cobras.

4- PUFF ADDER;

Same family with the gaboon viper, so it is quite understandable when people mix them up. It is a nonaggressive and dull snake, but would strike when provoked.

Its venom is FATAL to humans and can kill in a day.

Re: Some Common Snakes Of Nairaland (Photos) by pocohantas(f): 9:32pm On Jun 11, 2021
AFRICAN/BROWN HOUSE SNAKES;

These are NON-VENOMOUS snakes found inside and around the house. Its skin gives me cobra vibes, but the head is obviously too small to house a hood. It is usually shades of brown in colour, though older and larger ones are (almost) black in colour.

This snake would make a good pet.

1 Like

Re: Some Common Snakes Of Nairaland (Photos) by captainking(m): 9:33pm On Jun 11, 2021
Where are the photos..
I bet this will hit front page..

If it doesn't... I will offer up my ps4 to the first person to tag me in December...

4 Likes

Re: Some Common Snakes Of Nairaland (Photos) by Monogamy: 9:33pm On Jun 11, 2021
One of the reasons why there is no Wild Nigeria documentaries
Re: Some Common Snakes Of Nairaland (Photos) by budaatum: 9:39pm On Jun 11, 2021
Here's one I killed one day. And no, I did not cook nor eat it though I would have if my pot hadn't complained.

1 Like

Re: Some Common Snakes Of Nairaland (Photos) by illicit(m): 9:41pm On Jun 11, 2021
All snake na chop
Re: Some Common Snakes Of Nairaland (Photos) by starbuck(f): 9:51pm On Jun 11, 2021
Lalasticlala

Na like this them dey hala you grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Some Common Snakes Of Nairaland (Photos) by Zeuslord(m): 9:53pm On Jun 11, 2021
captainking:
Where are the photos..

If it doesn't... I will offer up my ps4 to the first person to tag me in December...

let's wait and see then.. grin
captainking:
Where are the photos..

let's wait and see then..

1 Like

Re: Some Common Snakes Of Nairaland (Photos) by dimexy247(m): 10:04pm On Jun 11, 2021
Ok
Re: Some Common Snakes Of Nairaland (Photos) by Kondomatic(m): 10:40pm On Jun 11, 2021
I am in love with this snake

1 Share

Re: Some Common Snakes Of Nairaland (Photos) by chatinent: 11:16pm On Jun 11, 2021
I heard snakes taste good in okro soup.
Re: Some Common Snakes Of Nairaland (Photos) by tatutatu: 11:46pm On Jun 11, 2021
lovely
Re: Some Common Snakes Of Nairaland (Photos) by iamyemiakins(m): 4:29am On Jun 12, 2021
I hate snakes! angry
Re: Some Common Snakes Of Nairaland (Photos) by iamyemiakins(m): 4:34am On Jun 12, 2021
captainking:
Where are the photos..

It will surely hit frontpage but let me book ur ps4 down in case you buy ps5 on or before December.
Re: Some Common Snakes Of Nairaland (Photos) by lkillbrokehoes: 6:36am On Jun 12, 2021
chatinent:
I heard snakes taste good in okro soup.
Ewwww! Mehn people dey try, poverty is truly a disease, goddamnit!
Re: Some Common Snakes Of Nairaland (Photos) by lkillbrokehoes: 6:39am On Jun 12, 2021
[quote author=Hintona post=102628771][/quote]So you have no atom of respect again, right?
Re: Some Common Snakes Of Nairaland (Photos) by chatinent: 7:49am On Jun 12, 2021
lkillbrokehoes:
Ewwww! Mehn people dey try, poverty is truly a disease, goddamnit!

That's true.

Poverty is stressful.
Do you mind changing the status quo?
Re: Some Common Snakes Of Nairaland (Photos) by cococandy(f): 1:14pm On Jun 14, 2021
The thread we didn’t know we needed grin
Re: Some Common Snakes Of Nairaland (Photos) by cococandy(f): 1:16pm On Jun 14, 2021
pocohantas:
2- GABOON VIPER;

See designer fangs
Re: Some Common Snakes Of Nairaland (Photos) by cococandy(f): 1:18pm On Jun 14, 2021
pocohantas:
4- PUFF ADDER;

makes my skin crawl . Yikes
Re: Some Common Snakes Of Nairaland (Photos) by Ishilove: 1:19pm On Jun 14, 2021
pocohantas:
2- GABOON VIPER;

I am in love with this snake because of its skin.

Pocohantas, you are in love with snake??

Hiaaaaaaaaan shocked cry angry

1 Like

Re: Some Common Snakes Of Nairaland (Photos) by pocohantas(f): 1:36pm On Jun 14, 2021
Ishilove:

Pocohantas, you are in love with snake??

Hiaaaaaaaaan shocked cry angry

The skin rather. You know English is hard.

cococandy:
makes my skin crawl . Yikes

They are beautiful creatures, get used to them.
lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Some Common Snakes Of Nairaland (Photos) by cococandy(f): 2:01pm On Jun 14, 2021
pocohantas:

They are beautiful creatures, get used to them.
lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

It’s just that particular one.
Ain’t got no problem with the rest

(1) (2) (Reply)

Massive Adult Caucasian For Sale / 6 Weeks Male Full Boarboel Puppy For Sale / Pedigree Adult Dog Food For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.