Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,018 members, 7,818,017 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:42 AM

The Mko Abiola I Knew.---femi Otedola - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Mko Abiola I Knew.---femi Otedola (505 Views)

Buhari Just Served Tinubu The MKO Treatment / Tundun Abiola: I Pray They Dont Kill Nnamdi Kanu same Way They Killed My Father / The Mko Abiola I Knew.---femi Otedola. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Mko Abiola I Knew.---femi Otedola by bestofnollywood: 6:08pm On Jun 12, 2021
My first memory of Chief Abiola was around 1971, about 47 years ago, as a pupil of the Staff School at the University of Lagos where Kola, his first son, was my classmate. A dutiful father, he used to pick up his children from school regularly.

His first wife, the late Alhaja Simbiat Abiola was also my mother’s close friend.

Fast forward to 1990 when I was a young entrepreneur. I had a taste of Chief Abiola’s magnanimity and kindness. I developed the idea for an Awolowo Memorial Concert which I shared with my good friend and Papa Awolowo’s grandson, Segun, who went to see Chief Abiola about our intention to have him as the Chairman of the event. And despite his political difference with Pa Awolowo in his lifetime, he not only showed up but arrived with his late wife, Alhaja Simbiat Abiola – and they danced to the various artistes, especially Sir Shina Peters.

The highlight for Segun and I was the NGN100,000 cheque he gave us at the event. A huge amount back then and we admired it all the way to the bank.

While we were seeing them off, he took me aside, shook my hand in commendation and called me a Great Man.

In 1991, I went to tell my late father, Sir Michael to go into politics and he dismissed it saying politics is not for “omoluwabis” as he also made a reference to the travails of Chief Abiola with the NPN leading to his much-publicized retirement from politics. I succeeded in getting him (my father) to run… and the rest is history.

After my father’s victory at the polls and seeing the need to rest, the then Governor of Lagos State, Brig. Gen. Raji Rasaki (Rtd), advised him to take two weeks off, restrict visits as he provided the LASG Guest House on Joel Ogunnaike Road, GRA Ikeja, for the purpose. After a week there, I went to see my late father around 7.30 am and, lo and behold, I met Chief Abiola and Alhaja Simibiat waiting to see him in the living room. And when he saw me, he said, “Great man, where is your daddy?”

My late father felt Chief Abiola would make a great President because of his deep wisdom, large heart and pan-Nigerian outlook…

I have studied Chief Abiola’s life in politics, philanthropy and most importantly building people, and his doggedness, fairness, wisdom and a good heart are traits that should be emulated. He was a man of all seasons.

I wonder what it would have been like if Chief Abiola was sworn-in as President. Did we lose the opportunity to become the Dubai of Africa? Would Nigeria have surmounted the developmental challenges we face in health, education and industrialization?

Your guess is as good as mine.

Source:
https://applesbite.com/the-mko-abiola-i-knew-femi-otedola/

1 Like

Re: The Mko Abiola I Knew.---femi Otedola by IamCookie(f): 6:11pm On Jun 12, 2021
Quite Easily said . But u are still considerably younger then
Re: The Mko Abiola I Knew.---femi Otedola by IamCookie(f): 6:11pm On Jun 12, 2021
Quite Easily said . But u are still considerably younger then. You dad tho
Re: The Mko Abiola I Knew.---femi Otedola by PrinceOfLagos: 6:14pm On Jun 12, 2021
I remember how the Igbos that the Yoruba people hated so much today voted massively for late chief MKO abiola in 1993 Presidential election .

The Igbos and yorubas used to enjoy good relationship back in the days till Tinubu came with his selfishness and introduced politics of hate and bitterness between the two tribes .

It will never ever be well with Tinubu

He will never be president of Nigeria .

2 Likes

Re: The Mko Abiola I Knew.---femi Otedola by seunmsg(m): 6:25pm On Jun 12, 2021
PrinceOfLagos:
I remember how the Igbos that the Yoruba people hated so much today voted massively for late chief MKO abiola in 1993 Presidential election .

The Igbos and yorubas used to enjoy good relationship back in the days till Tinubu came with his selfishness and introduced politics of hate and bitterness between the two tribes .

He will never ever be the president of Nigeria .

You simply want to derail the thread and open another Igbo vs Yoruba bashing. The result of the June 12 election is available online but it’s unnecessary discussing how different ethnicities voted on a thread like this.

It’s such a shame that folks like you thrive on divisive rhetorics on Nairaland without consequences. No matter what they are paying you to do this, know today that it’s not worth it. Stop this nonsense and start using your time for something positive.

7 Likes

Re: The Mko Abiola I Knew.---femi Otedola by Nobody: 6:30pm On Jun 12, 2021
PrinceOfLagos:

never ever. He destroyed the relationship between north and ibos too in 2015
Re: The Mko Abiola I Knew.---femi Otedola by Jostoman: 6:51pm On Jun 12, 2021
God will continue to bless you Mr Otedola. I just don't know why I love this humble man so much.
Re: The Mko Abiola I Knew.---femi Otedola by updatechange(m): 7:00pm On Jun 12, 2021
M.K.O would have been the best thing to happen to Nigeria if he was installed as the then president.

Shame on all abokis that killed the dream.
Re: The Mko Abiola I Knew.---femi Otedola by dragunov: 9:22pm On Jun 12, 2021
seunmsg:

You simply want to derail the thread and open another Igbo vs Yoruba bashing. The result of the June 12 election is available online but it’s unnecessary discussing how different ethnicities voted on a thread like this.

It’s such a shame that folks like you thrive on divisive rhetorics on Nairaland without consequences. No matter what they are paying you to do this, know today that it’s not worth it. Stop this nonsense and start using your time for something positive.

Consequences! Now I understand you. A thirst for power. But opportunity for none.
Re: The Mko Abiola I Knew.---femi Otedola by spiralwedge(m): 9:40pm On Jun 12, 2021
PrinceOfLagos:

Tinubu is not your problem. Igbos are the problem of themselves. If you think you are hated, it is because you over do things, and insult other without political calculations.
Re: The Mko Abiola I Knew.---femi Otedola by flokii: 9:45pm On Jun 12, 2021
Nigeria lost a gem no doubt.. continue to rest in peace M.K.O Abiola, GCFR.
Re: The Mko Abiola I Knew.---femi Otedola by Gbagura: 10:14pm On Jun 12, 2021
Gradually you gonna come out as an ọmọ nna that you are. I know you hate showing yourself as one but all your antics point towards them. You're always pro-igbo and anti-yoruba but claiming to be Yoruba at the same time as if you're in your papa compound for nnewi with your village uncles, chest beating as usual how you deveroped Wall Street in NYC.
PrinceOfLagos:

Re: The Mko Abiola I Knew.---femi Otedola by PrinceOfLagos: 4:29am On Jun 13, 2021
spiralwedge:

Tinubu is not your problem. Igbos are the problem of themselves. If you think you are hates, itvis because you over do things, and insult other without political calculations.

The same political calculation that has made you slave to the funanis for years .

The same calculation that took the life of Obafemi awolowo and Mko abiola.

The same calculation that has dim the presidential ambition of Tinubu

The same political calculation that sent hundreds of women and children in ibarapa to refugee camps in Benin republic by fulani herdsmen

All your political calculation has always backfired in multiple folds.

Stop calculating and start using your heads.

Re: The Mko Abiola I Knew.---femi Otedola by Gbajure(m): 6:13am On Jun 13, 2021
PrinceOfLagos:

The way you these people think na wa! Or is it that you can’t think, that your complex always blind you to facts? Tinubu that first appointed an Igbo as commissioner hates Igbo? Ur sickening pomposity and genetical inferiority complex will never let any tribe trust or like una. Same ways Achebe was dragging with Wole S who no even send am. Macaulay trusted Zik only for him to use the NCNC to entrench Igbos in Yoruba politics. He also betrayed Sardauna and Balewa by not warning them of the coup but safe only himself by running away.
Re: The Mko Abiola I Knew.---femi Otedola by KAHBOOM: 7:10am On Jun 13, 2021
Otedollar...Correct guy

(1) (Reply)

ALFA ADEJUMOBI Send A Warnings To MC Oluomo & Sunday Igboho Over Yoruba Nation / Nigeria Will Soon Triumph Over Kidnapping, Banditry — Osinbajo Assures / Senate President, Ahmad Lawan Confirms Defection Of 3 PDP Senators To APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.