Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,818,008 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:43 AM

Obasanjo Writes Letter To Buhari, Lists Four Avoidable Calamities - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo Writes Letter To Buhari, Lists Four Avoidable Calamities (2678 Views)

Putin Throws Olive Branch To Ukraine, Lists Four Conditions For Peace / Tinubu Lists Four-Step Solution To Farmer-Herder Crisis / Obasanjo Writes Letter To Sanusi: Your Dethronement As Emir Is Good And Bad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obasanjo Writes Letter To Buhari, Lists Four Avoidable Calamities by etokhana: 3:12pm On Jun 13, 2021
Full letter to President Buhari

Dear President and General Buhari,

I am constrained to write to you this open letter. I decided to make it an open letter because the issue is very weighty and must be greatly worrisome to all concerned Nigerians and that means all right-thinking Nigerians and those resident in Nigeria. Since the issue is of momentous concern to all well-meaning and all right-thinking Nigerians, it must be of great concern to you, and collective thinking and dialoguing is the best way of finding an appropriate and adequate solution to the problem. The contents of this letter, therefore, should be available to all those who can help in proffering effective solutions for the problem of insecurity in the land.

One of the spinoffs and accelerants is the misinformation and disinformation through the use of fake news. A number of articles, in recent days, have been attributed to me by some people who I believe may be seeking added credence and an attentive audience for their opinions and view-points. As you know very well, I will always boldly own what I say and disown what is put into my mouth. But the issue I am addressing here is very serious; it is the issue of life and death for all of us and for our dear country, Nigeria. This issue can no longer be ignored, treated with nonchalance, swept under the carpet or treated with cuddling glove. The issue is hitting at the foundation of our existence as Nigerians and fast eroding the root of our Nigerian community. I am very much worried and afraid that we are on the precipice and dangerously reaching a tipping point where it may no longer be possible to hold danger at bay. Without being immodest, as a Nigerian who still bears the scar of the Nigerian civil war on my body and with a son who bears the scar of fighting Boko Haram on his body, you can understand, I hope, why I am so concerned. When people are desperate and feel that they cannot have confidence in the ability of government to provide security for their lives and properties, they will take recourse to anything and everything that can guarantee their security individually and collectively.

For over ten years, for four of which you have been the captain of the ship, Boko Haram has menacingly ravaged the land and in spite of government’s claim of victory over Boko Haram, the potency and the activities of Boko Haram, where they are active, remain undiminished, putting lie to government’s claim. The recent explanation of the Chief of Army Staff for non-victory due to lack of commitment and lack of motivation on the part of troops bordering on sabotage speaks for itself. Say what you will, Boko Haram is still a daily issue of insecurity for those who are victimised, killed, maimed, kidnapped, raped, sold into slavery and forced into marriage and for children forcibly recruited into carrying bombs on them to detonate among crowds of people to cause maximum destructions and damage. And Boko Haram will not go away on the basis of sticks alone, carrots must overweigh sticks. How else do you deal with issues such as only about 50% literacy in North-East with over 70% unemployment?

Herdsmen/farmers crises and menace started with government treating the issue with cuddling glove instead of hammer. It has festered and spread. Today, it has developed into banditry, kidnapping, armed robbery and killings all over the country. The unfortunate situation is that the criminality is being perceived as a ‘Fulani’ menace unleashed by Fulani elite in the different parts of the country for a number of reasons but even more unfortunately, many Nigerians and non-Nigerians who are friends of Nigeria attach vicarious responsibility to you as a Fulani elite and the current captain of the Nigeria ship. Perception may be as potent as reality at times. Whatever may be the grievances of Fulanis, if any, they need to be put out in the open and their grievances, if legitimate, be addressed; and if other ethnic groups have grievances, let them also be brought out in the open and addressed through debate and dialogue.

The main issue, if I may dare say, is poor management or mismanagement of diversity which, on the other hand, is one of our greatest and most important assets. As a result, very onerous cloud is gathering. And rain of destruction, violence, disaster and disunity can only be the outcome. Nothing should be taken for granted, the clock is ticking with the cacophony of dissatisfaction and disaffection everywhere in and outside the country. The Presidency and the Congress in the US have signalled to us to put our house in order. The House of Lords in the UK had debated the Nigerian security situation. We must understand and appreciate the significance, implication and likely consequences of such concerns and deliberations.

No one can stop hate speech, violent agitation and smouldering violent agitation if he fans the embers of hatred, disaffection and violence. It will continue to snowball until it is out of control. A stitch in time saves nine, goes the old wise saying. With the death of Funke, Chief Fasoranti’s daughter, some sympathetic Nigerian groups are saying “enough is enough”. Prof. Anya, a distinguished Nigerian merit Laureate, has this to say “We can no longer say with certainty that we have a nation”. Niger-Delta leaders, South-Eastern leaders, Middle-Belt leaders and Northern Elders Forum have not remained quiet. Different ordinary Nigerians at home and abroad are calling for different measures to address or ameliorate the situation. All the calls and cries can only continue to be ignored at the expense of Nigerian unity, if not its continued existence.

To be explicit and without equivocation, Mr. President and General, I am deeply worried about four avoidable calamities:

1. abandoning Nigeria into the hands of criminals who are all being suspected, rightly or wrongly, as Fulanis and terrorists of Boko Haram type.

2. spontaneous or planned reprisal attacks against Fulanis which may inadvertently or advertently mushroom into pogrom or Rwanda-type genocide that we did not believe could happen and yet it happened.

3. similar attacks against any other tribe or ethnic group anywhere in the country initiated by rumours, fears, intimidation and revenge capable of leading to pogrom.

4. violent uprising beginning from one section of the country and spreading quickly to other areas and leading to dismemberment of the country.

It happened to Yugoslavia not too long ago. If we do not act now, one or all of these scenarios may happen. We must pray and take effective actions at the same time. The initiative is in the hands of the President of the nation, but he cannot do it alone. In my part of the world, if you are sharpening your cutlass and a mad man comes from behind to take the cutlass from you, you need other people’s assistance to have your cutlass back without being harmed. The mad men with serious criminal intent and terrorism as core value have taken cutlass of security. The need for assistance to regain control is obviously compelling and must be embraced now.

A couple of weeks ago at a public lecture, I had said, among other things, that:
“In all these issues of mobilisation for national unity, stability, security, cooperation, development, growth and progress, there is no consensus. Like in the issue of security, government should open up discussion, debate and dialogue as part of consultation at different levels and the outcome of such deliberations should be collated to form inputs into a national conference to come up with the solution that will effectively deal with the issues and lead to rapid development, growth and progress which will give us a wholesome society and enhanced living standard and livelihood in an inclusive and shared society. It will be a national programme. We need unity of purpose and a nationally accepted strategic roadmap that will not change with the whims and caprices of any government. It must be owned by the citizens, people’s policy and strategy implemented by the government no matter it’s color and leaning.

Some of the groups that I will suggest being contacted are traditional rulers, past heads of service (no matter how competent or incompetent they have been and how much they have contributed to the mess we are in), past heads of paramilitary organizations, private sector, civil society, community leaders particularly in the most affected areas, present and past governors, present and past local government leaders, religious leaders, past Heads of State, past intelligence chiefs, past Heads of Civil Service and relevant current and retired diplomats, members of the opposition and any groups that may be deemed relevant.”

The President must be seen to be addressing this issue with utmost seriousness and with maximum dispatch and getting all hands on deck to help. If there is a failure, the principal responsibility will be that of the President and no one else. We need cohesion and concentration of effort and maximum force – political, economic, social, psychological, and military – to deal successfully with the menace of criminality and terrorism separately and together. Blame game among own forces must be avoided. It is debilitating and only helpful to our adversary. We cannot dither anymore. It is time to confront this threat headlong and in a manner that is holistic, inclusive, and purposeful.

For the sake of Nigeria and Nigerians, I pray that God may grant you, as our President, the wisdom, the understanding, the political will, and the courage to do what is right when it is right and without fear or favor. May God save, secure, protect and bless Nigeria. May He open to us a window of opportunity that we can still use to prevent the worst from happening. As we say in my village, “May God forbid bad thing”.

signed
OLUSEGUN OBASANJO
https://dailypost.ng/2021/06/13/obasanjo-writes-letter-to-buhari-lists-four-avoidable-calamities/?amp&utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter&__twitter_impression=true

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Writes Letter To Buhari, Lists Four Avoidable Calamities by AGNESikpuNNU(f): 3:14pm On Jun 13, 2021
cool
Ok ... After reading the letter let him also find the success coefficient of the DOT in the diagram below. Assuming ZOMBIESM is constant.

8 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Writes Letter To Buhari, Lists Four Avoidable Calamities by Duru9(m): 3:15pm On Jun 13, 2021
BMC go call him names now

4 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Writes Letter To Buhari, Lists Four Avoidable Calamities by nairavsdollars(f): 3:15pm On Jun 13, 2021
The number one is more serious
1. abandoning Nigeria into the hands of criminals who are all being suspected, rightly or wrongly, as Fulanis and terrorists of Boko Haram type.
Re: Obasanjo Writes Letter To Buhari, Lists Four Avoidable Calamities by Nobody: 3:15pm On Jun 13, 2021
grin

Re: Obasanjo Writes Letter To Buhari, Lists Four Avoidable Calamities by Xscape1993(m): 3:17pm On Jun 13, 2021
Can he read? Hope that letter was written in Hausa or fulani lauguage ooo? What a country rule by unfortunate people?

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Writes Letter To Buhari, Lists Four Avoidable Calamities by Wawelexy(m): 3:20pm On Jun 13, 2021
As if he would read it.
Re: Obasanjo Writes Letter To Buhari, Lists Four Avoidable Calamities by jlinkd78(m): 3:21pm On Jun 13, 2021
Noted
Re: Obasanjo Writes Letter To Buhari, Lists Four Avoidable Calamities by denko(m): 3:27pm On Jun 13, 2021
This letter was 2years ago
Re: Obasanjo Writes Letter To Buhari, Lists Four Avoidable Calamities by alpharoyalty: 3:32pm On Jun 13, 2021
Illiterate buhari that can not read.
He lacks basic comprehension.
A divisive ethnic and religious bigot.
We can only wait for his unfortunate government to pass.
What we need in Nigeria is unity.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Writes Letter To Buhari, Lists Four Avoidable Calamities by duro4chang(m): 3:43pm On Jun 13, 2021
Baba, you don talk ya own but the dullard will not listen. Him friends too no go tell am the truth.
Re: Obasanjo Writes Letter To Buhari, Lists Four Avoidable Calamities by Mayng01(m): 3:45pm On Jun 13, 2021
If only he wouldn’t say you can’t sit in otta and tell us how to solve Nigeria’s problem. Dullard
Re: Obasanjo Writes Letter To Buhari, Lists Four Avoidable Calamities by Kzinne: 3:51pm On Jun 13, 2021
Re: Obasanjo Writes Letter To Buhari, Lists Four Avoidable Calamities by Chinemeremjosh0(m): 3:56pm On Jun 13, 2021
Who's even going to read all this epistle u wrote here? If I may ask are you not among the problem Nigeria is facing today? The only solution to Nigeria problem is totall desolution of it break it and see How peace will find way
Re: Obasanjo Writes Letter To Buhari, Lists Four Avoidable Calamities by Quodseverismete: 4:24pm On Jun 13, 2021
Buhari don't have time to read epistle

Re: Obasanjo Writes Letter To Buhari, Lists Four Avoidable Calamities by Rodwave: 4:28pm On Jun 13, 2021
His fellow criminal zombie miscreants are cheering him to disaster. Let them continue

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Writes Letter To Buhari, Lists Four Avoidable Calamities by seborrhic: 4:52pm On Jun 13, 2021
Why is he now writing an open letter,I thought he said he won't say anything till they discuss with buhari?
If not that Obasanjo saw Buhari for the disaster he was when he came for re-election in 2019,I would have said thunder should fire him for hoisting this nauseating, incompetent bigot on us.
Re: Obasanjo Writes Letter To Buhari, Lists Four Avoidable Calamities by DSC7: 4:55pm On Jun 13, 2021
Bubu wey no get understanding mentality....

He fit jst wake one day say make dem ban OBJ....

Re: Obasanjo Writes Letter To Buhari, Lists Four Avoidable Calamities by Racoon(m): 5:00pm On Jun 13, 2021
"....Abandoning Nigeria into the hands of criminals who are all being suspected, rightly or wrongly, as Fulanis and terrorists of Boko Haram type....."
Re: Obasanjo Writes Letter To Buhari, Lists Four Avoidable Calamities by aylipple: 5:11pm On Jun 13, 2021
While the concerns raised by Chief Obasanjo are still valid today, this letter was written over two years ago.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo Writes Letter To Buhari, Lists Four Avoidable Calamities by vedaxcool(m): 5:50pm On Jun 13, 2021
You have collected money from Atiku again? Keep up with you Fulani bull crap after denouncing such idiocity you are here today using it as a basis to build your evil propaganda!

Nigerian elites are starving, free money has been cut off their parade or drastically reduced. The only uniting factor is looting stop looting you have mismanaged Nigeria's diversity!
Re: Obasanjo Writes Letter To Buhari, Lists Four Avoidable Calamities by seborrhic: 5:52pm On Jun 13, 2021
All these are stories.
The beginning of Nigeria's problem is Buhari and his leaving that office will only be the start of the herculean task of finding a solution to it.
He has caused so much damage by his mere occupying of that office.
Anybody that doesn't understand where the problem lies is only playing to the gallery.
Re: Obasanjo Writes Letter To Buhari, Lists Four Avoidable Calamities by vedaxcool(m): 5:53pm On Jun 13, 2021
Racoon:

Remind us how many territory BH holds?

How many Christmas under PMB BH successfully attacked?

How many suicide bombings have been successfully carried out?

Remind us how many fighter jets PMB has procured and how many times bomb have been dropped on bandits and BH?

I know you cannot answer any of these questions with a straight face truthful.
Re: Obasanjo Writes Letter To Buhari, Lists Four Avoidable Calamities by vedaxcool(m): 5:54pm On Jun 13, 2021
[s]
seborrhic:
Why is he now writing an open letter,I thought he said he won't say anything till they discuss with buhari?
If not that Obasanjo saw Buhari for the disaster he was when he came for re-election in 2019,I would have said thunder should fire him for hoisting this nauseating, incompetent bigot on us.
[/s]

You pain won't end anytime soon!
Re: Obasanjo Writes Letter To Buhari, Lists Four Avoidable Calamities by seunmsg(m): 6:04pm On Jun 13, 2021
This is an old letter. It was widely published in 2019. Dailypost is just a useless platform trying to bring up an old letter as new.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Writes Letter To Buhari, Lists Four Avoidable Calamities by seborrhic: 6:14pm On Jun 13, 2021
vedaxcool:
[s][/s]

You pain won't end anytime soon!
My pain is for the voiceless and as a believer that the one cardinal demand of God for those that believe and even don't believe in him,is to say the truth.
Each day I don't say the truth about the disaster Buhari is and how he is the problem of Nigeria,I don't feel well and restless.
Everytime I say it with facts,it's as if there is a peace that descends into my soul from the angels.That's how I know I am on the right path.
Anyone that continues supporting Buhari despite his obvious deficiencies,incapabilities,bigotry,clannishness and senility with all the disasters it is wrecking nationwide,is doomed in this world and that beyond.
I refuse to be doomed in this and the afterlife.
Re: Obasanjo Writes Letter To Buhari, Lists Four Avoidable Calamities by rayvelez(m): 6:14pm On Jun 13, 2021
Imagine fulanis herdsmen killing innoncent people like chicken and d president and presidency are doing nothing and silent abt it. Let president shift to the south in 2023 blv me all fulanis herdsmen will be seriously deal with.
Re: Obasanjo Writes Letter To Buhari, Lists Four Avoidable Calamities by sammyj: 6:18pm On Jun 13, 2021
Baba may npt be a saint or the best president during is tenure. Truth be said, Baba has spelled out nothing but the bitter truth to the current nepotic president.
Re: Obasanjo Writes Letter To Buhari, Lists Four Avoidable Calamities by tony0806: 6:22pm On Jun 13, 2021
Ok
Re: Obasanjo Writes Letter To Buhari, Lists Four Avoidable Calamities by vedaxcool(m): 6:24pm On Jun 13, 2021
[s]
seborrhic:

My pain is for the voiceless and as a believer that the one cardinal demand of God for those that believe and even don't believe in him,is to say the truth.
Each day I don't say the truth about the disaster Buhari is and how he is the problem of Nigeria,I don't feel well and restless.
Everytime I say it with facts,it's as if there is a peace that descends into my soul from the angels.That's how I know I am on the right path.
Anyone that continues supporting Buhari despite his obvious deficiencies,incapabilities,bigotry,clannishness and senility with all the disasters it is wrecking nationwide,is doomed in this world and that beyond.
I refuse to be doomed in this and the afterlife.
[/s]

All I see is this
cry cry cry cry
Re: Obasanjo Writes Letter To Buhari, Lists Four Avoidable Calamities by TheMan3: 7:12pm On Jun 13, 2021
We should avoid Rwanda-like genocide. People never believed it will happen, it did.

Fulanis are very few and vunurable compared to the entire 500 tribes in Nigeria. but The president dosnt know that. He is supporting them and foolish people are cheering him to distruction.

May God help our country and help the president to make the right decision.
Re: Obasanjo Writes Letter To Buhari, Lists Four Avoidable Calamities by TheMan3: 7:14pm On Jun 13, 2021
vedaxcool:
You have collected money from Atiku again? Keep up with you Fulani bull crap after denouncing such idiocity you are here today using it as a basis to build your evil propaganda!

Nigerian elites are starving, free money has been cut off their parade or drastically reduced. The only uniting factor is looting stop looting you have mismanaged Nigeria's diversity!
you are very stupid. It's not an insult, it's a fact

(1) (2) (Reply)

Federal Government Should Probe Abaribe / Bayelsa Family Photoshopped Vp,yemi Osinbajo Picture To Announce Father's Death / Pyrate Confraternity Members Sing & Release Another Tinubu Song (pic/vid)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.