Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,583 members, 7,958,797 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 01:26 AM

What Would Make A Man Do Change Of Name - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Would Make A Man Do Change Of Name (1810 Views)

Change Of Marriage And Divorce Laws In The Last 10 Years / Our Culture Forbids Impregnating Of Little Children, Why Did This Man Do This? / Whoever Need A Change Of Life Should Read This!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Would Make A Man Do Change Of Name by pocohantas(f): 1:44pm On Jun 14, 2021
I was going through a thread yesterday and saw guys asking how their new names can reflect on official IDs. I am just curious, I know majority of women do official name change for marital reasons, but why would a man change his name?

Even in the course of my work, I have seen men that changed all their names. It is not in my place to ask sha, but I am suspicious of a man that changes two or all his name. lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: What Would Make A Man Do Change Of Name by Nobody: 1:47pm On Jun 14, 2021
It could be a case of disowning their fathers or vice versa.

Secondly, it could be as a result of irregularities in the names they have in their school certs with the ones they opened a bank account and registered their BVN with.
Re: What Would Make A Man Do Change Of Name by pocohantas(f): 1:51pm On Jun 14, 2021
CharisEleos:
It could be a case of disowning their fathers it irregularities in the name they have in their certs vs the one they opened a bank account with.

The former would be more applicable. Omo, if my papa disowns me abi I disown am, I no dey change anything. lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: What Would Make A Man Do Change Of Name by Nobody: 1:55pm On Jun 14, 2021
pocohantas:

The former would be more applicable. Omo, if my papa disowns me abi I disown am, I no dey change anything. lipsrsealed

You may have to, depending on the gravity of the matter. Some fathers can go to lengths to make you regret your sonship to him.

Again, if it was a DNA fraud? You have no choice.
Re: What Would Make A Man Do Change Of Name by Kondomatic(m): 2:07pm On Jun 14, 2021
I just didn't like the name.

1 Like

Re: What Would Make A Man Do Change Of Name by izzou(m): 2:41pm On Jun 14, 2021
I noticed this trend some years back..

Some people change their surname because they don't know how it originated (something like that)

You see a man bearing Okafor John

He gives birth and names his son Okafor Peter.

Peter grows up and feels he doesn't know Okafor, and shouldn't be bearing the name of an ancestor

So Peter changes his name to John Peter

12 Likes

Re: What Would Make A Man Do Change Of Name by iamyemiakins(m): 5:33pm On Jun 14, 2021
Religious beliefs.

Some people change their name(s) or just the prefix to convert it from the traditional one(s) to match up with their religious beliefs.

E.g. Ògúnsọlá to Ọlọrunsọlá

Ogun is the god of iron while Olorun is God (Almighty).

3 Likes

Re: What Would Make A Man Do Change Of Name by pocohantas(f): 5:44pm On Jun 14, 2021
Kondomatic:
I just didn't like the name.

Why? Is your name Romanus Nwamu?

iamyemiakins:
Religious beliefs.

Some people change their name(s) or just the prefix to convert it from the traditional one(s) to match up with their religious beliefs.

E.g. Ogunmodede to Oluwamodede

Ogun is the god of iron while Oluwa is God (Lord).

Nice one. I have a friend that did this. Her name was Ndidi (Endurance), she changed it to something she considered positive.

6 Likes

Re: What Would Make A Man Do Change Of Name by Bodyodour: 5:47pm On Jun 14, 2021
pocohantas:

Nice one. I have a friend that did this. Her name was Ndidi (Endurance), she changed it to something she considered positive.
wetin that word mean for English?

1 Like

Re: What Would Make A Man Do Change Of Name by Kondomatic(m): 5:50pm On Jun 14, 2021
pocohantas:

gringrin

It's not a bad name per se but I personally dislike it.

Re: What Would Make A Man Do Change Of Name by 1Sharon(f): 8:49pm On Jun 14, 2021
After a divorce or separation

If they find the name embarrassing
Re: What Would Make A Man Do Change Of Name by 1Sharon(f): 8:50pm On Jun 14, 2021
iamyemiakins:
Religious beliefs.

E.g. Ogunmodede to Oluwamodede

Ogun is the god of iron while Oluwa is God (Lord).

Oluwa is still a pagan god, you know that right?

1 Like

Re: What Would Make A Man Do Change Of Name by LadeeE: 3:36pm On Jun 15, 2021
Maybe he is using someone's certificate.

1 Like

Re: What Would Make A Man Do Change Of Name by poshestmina(f): 3:02am On Jun 18, 2021
BAD NAMES : My surname (dad's surname) has been in existence since 1970/80's ,no one knows the meaning ,not even my grandpa's age grades . The closest I got on google (it was spelt with the first letter changed) means ' Son of Slavery' (very sezzy name inbtwn) ,so none of my brothers wives and kids are bearing the Old surname ,replaced it with my dad's name that means something good.

Another one ,a friend changed her name from Patience to Olivia ,that she was tired of been patience grin grin.

My cousin was named 'Forgive' at birth ,had to change her name because she kept reminding everyone of her mum's death (mum had premature delivery after hearing the husband was getting married to another woman,so she asked them to name the child ' Forgive' and passed away)

CHANGE OF RELIGION/BELIEFS: Adamus,Musas,Gambos etc can become Christians and decide a name change . Same way Abel, Charles,Godwin can become muslim overnight and change their names.
All those Ifagbemi,Ogunmola,Sangotobi lipsrsealed change when they change religious perspectives.

WRONG SURNAMES: Where I'm from,any child born out of wedlock bears the mother's surname except the man comes back to marry the woman ,now when some of this illegitimate kids grow up (especially Men) ,they mostly change back to their (runaway) father's names to connect back to their roots . Eg one very popular warlord in Niger Delta lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed causing problems ear and dear undecided.

SOME JUST DISLIKE THE NAME(S) : If I was bearing Ignatius ,Dogood, Evangelism lipsrsealed,Nwaeke,Onwukanma . I'd gladly change them even change my gender join sef grin grin.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Would Make A Man Do Change Of Name by The5DME(m): 9:43am On Jun 18, 2021
I'd like to change my surname to Rothschild.
Re: What Would Make A Man Do Change Of Name by Emperormartin(m): 10:11pm On Jun 18, 2021
Name especially surname is an Identity. Changing it is changing your identity
Re: What Would Make A Man Do Change Of Name by Nuelito: 1:08am On Jun 20, 2021
Am here to learn...let me get a glass of water

1 Like

Re: What Would Make A Man Do Change Of Name by Divoc19(f): 8:03am On Jun 21, 2021
Am currently having serious issues with my names too. As a graphic designer those days (I played around with IDs and try them out at banks) I opened different bank accounts with different names. Then BVN came, with little knowledge and pressure by banks I registered one of my names I didn't like again.

2. My nin, international passport, marriage certificate, drivers license all have different names.
In short I taya for my name matter embarassed

Nigeria should just issue something like social security number to help we name changers
Re: What Would Make A Man Do Change Of Name by chatinent: 8:16am On Jun 21, 2021
I'll change my name if it is meaning anything close to consolation, complaints, death plea, patience, or any stupid name I don't understand. You see all those names like onwughara, zereuwa..I can't bear it...and yes, my family and wife will bear my name directly.
Re: What Would Make A Man Do Change Of Name by chatinent: 8:18am On Jun 21, 2021
Divoc19:
Am currently having serious issues with my names too. As a graphic designer those days (I played around with IDs and try them out at banks) I opened different bank accounts with different names. Then BVN came, with little knowledge and pressure by banks I registered one of my names I didn't like again.

2. My nin, international passport, marriage certificate, drivers license all have different names.
In short I taya for my name matter embarassed

Nigeria should just issue something like social security number to help we name changers

You mah wey go dey use many names for different agencies, you didn't know they'd be repercussions?

1 Like

Re: What Would Make A Man Do Change Of Name by chatinent: 8:21am On Jun 21, 2021
The5DME:
I'd like to change my surname to Rothschild.

I just hope this has nothing to do with your teeth.

Re: What Would Make A Man Do Change Of Name by chatinent: 8:24am On Jun 21, 2021
My cousin was named 'Forgive' at birth ,had to change her name because she kept reminding everyone of her mum's death (mum had premature delivery after hearing the husband was getting married to another woman,so she asked them to name the child ' Forgive' and passed away)

This is big deep, poshestmina.
Re: What Would Make A Man Do Change Of Name by chatinent: 8:26am On Jun 21, 2021
LadeeE:
Maybe he is using someone's certificate.

Do people do this?
Re: What Would Make A Man Do Change Of Name by Divoc19(f): 9:46am On Jun 21, 2021
Truly, I didn't know. But they are all my names. I still answer to them undecided

Lesson: Don't give children plenty names

chatinent:

You mah wey go dey use many names for different agencies, you didn't know they'd be repercussions?
Re: What Would Make A Man Do Change Of Name by Divoc19(f): 9:46am On Jun 21, 2021
They do this a lot.

chatinent:

Do people do this?
Re: What Would Make A Man Do Change Of Name by poshestmina(f): 11:57am On Jun 21, 2021
chatinent:

This is big deep, poshestmina.

Yeah.
She had a Cesarean section and drank fruit juice when no one was close to her ( said she was very thirsty and nurses were not around her) ,coupled with very high bp .
Baby was in an Incubator . She got swollen and couldn't make it. So she said if the child survived,they should name her' Forgive'.

This man was one of the richest man according to stories ,was supplying Dried fish and foodstuffs from Maiduguri to the whole East . Baba became a pauper before he died few years after the wife.

Thankfully most of the kids are doing well . Forgive and the kid from the other woman are inseparable now kiss and schooling somewhere in Europe.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Would Make A Man Do Change Of Name by chatinent: 4:14pm On Jun 21, 2021
poshestmina:

Yeah.
She had a Cesarean section and drank fruit juice when no one was close to her ( said she was very thirsty and nurses were not around her) ,coupled with very high bp .
Baby was in an Incubator . She got swollen and couldn't make it. So she said if the child survived,they should name her' Forgive'.

This man was one of the richest man according to stories ,was supplying Dried fish and foodstuffs from Maiduguri to the whole East . Baba became a pauper before he died few years after the wife.

Thankfully most of the kids are doing well . Forgive and the kid from the other woman are inseparable now kiss and schooling somewhere in Europe.

Such a happy ending...
Re: What Would Make A Man Do Change Of Name by The5DME(m): 4:34pm On Jun 21, 2021
chatinent:

I just hope this has nothing to do with your teeth.
Not at all.
Re: What Would Make A Man Do Change Of Name by Naughtysex: 5:49am On Jun 29, 2021
There are many and different reasons to make a man want to change his surname
In my own case, my surname is my old family name and it's overshadowing the sacrifices my late father made for us as no one is bearing his
I remember when i named my first child and replace the family name with my father's name (has her surname), my sisters were so happy and really thank me for giving my father's name the recognition it deserves

2) Another reason is
Anytime someone sees or hears my names (surname inclusive), especially those who come from Aniocha South in Delta State or anyone who has been in Nigeria police force for long ,there are some funny question they normally ask me (after knowing that i truly belong to the family)
Questions like:
why your own con different na, others are seriously rich. etc

So as i am now, i have made the final consultation within myself, my next step is to legally change the surname from my well known family name to my father's name because i want it to be known also

My point is that men change their surname for different reasons

(1) (Reply)

Dada: What Have You Heard? / How To Go Become A Landlord In Another Man's Land / Can Somebody Translate These Into Ngwa Dialect?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.