Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,851 members, 7,810,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:40 AM

Philip Emagwali:I Am Yoruba from Onitsha And Onitsha Is Yoruba Land! - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Philip Emagwali:I Am Yoruba from Onitsha And Onitsha Is Yoruba Land! (14792 Views)

Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi / Female Regents In Yoruba Land. / The Source Of Yoruba From Benin Is Very Authentic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Philip Emagwali:I Am Yoruba from Onitsha And Onitsha Is Yoruba Land! by wired123: 3:51am On May 05, 2011
Yoruba
The most comprehensive source of photographs on Yorubas.

Yoruba Onitsha, Orisha

Introduction: By PHILIP EMEAGWALI

I am a Yoruba by birth (born in Akure, western region) and Igbo by
heritage. As a native Onitsha Igbo, I trace my ancestry to Eze Chima,
a prince who rebelled against the Benin royal dynasty and emigrated
from the kingdom. Other Igbos that trace their lineage to Eze Chima
include Onicha-Ukwu, Onicha-Olona, Onicha-Ugbo, Obior,
Issele-Ukwu, Issele-Mkpima, Issele-Azagba, Ezi, Abeh and Obamkpa.

Native Onitshans speak a dialect of the Igbo language with several
Benin/Yoruba words such as "Obi" (of Onitsha) and "Oba" (of Benin).
In fact, the word Onitsha (Onicha) is a corruption of the god "Orisha."
The bini name for River Niger is Ohinmwin. The Onicha Igbo call it
"Orinmili." In a few years, we will have DNA tests that proves (or
disproves) the Onitsha-Benin-Yoruba connection.

In fact, a lost dialect of the Yoruba language, called Olukwumu, is
spoken in Brazil and in a few Igbo communities named Anioma,
Idumu-Ogu, Ubulubu, Ugboba, Ugbodu, and Ukwunzu
(M. A. Onwuejeogwu, 1987 Ahiajoku Lecture

The absence Olukwumu in core Yoruba land proves that these
communities are the Lost Yoruba Tribe that were fleeing from
slave raiders. (Excerpt)

http://www.assatashakur.org/forum/traditional/6833-yoruba-onitsha-orisha.html

Follow this link to read up on what Emeagwuali has to say . . . . .

http://emeagwali.com/photos/yoruba/photo-essay-on-yoruba.html

1 Like

Re: Philip Emagwali:I Am Yoruba from Onitsha And Onitsha Is Yoruba Land! by Chyz2: 3:52am On May 05, 2011
rotflmao!
Re: Philip Emagwali:I Am Yoruba from Onitsha And Onitsha Is Yoruba Land! by aljharem3: 3:54am On May 05, 2011
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

there is nothing pesin no go see for this world grin grin

now ema na yoruba

anioma too shocked shocked shocked shocked

well i have said they are not igbo undecided
Re: Philip Emagwali:I Am Yoruba from Onitsha And Onitsha Is Yoruba Land! by wired123: 3:54am On May 05, 2011
Chyz*:

rotflmao!
Read up on what Philip has to say. You will be surprised. The current Igbo language was from the Ancient Yoruba language, the OLUKUNMI. I am surprise as well. Who knew Igbos are actually Yorubas . . . . cheesy

1 Like

Re: Philip Emagwali:I Am Yoruba from Onitsha And Onitsha Is Yoruba Land! by wired123: 3:55am On May 05, 2011
alj_harem:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

there is nothing pesin no go see for this world grin grin

now ema na yoruba

anioma too shocked shocked shocked shocked

well i have said they are not igbo undecided

It was Philip Emeagwali that said it ooo not me. Follow his conversation on his site for more information.

1 Like

Re: Philip Emagwali:I Am Yoruba from Onitsha And Onitsha Is Yoruba Land! by aljharem3: 3:56am On May 05, 2011
wired123:

Read up on what Philip has to say. You will be surprised. The current Igbo language was from the Ancient Yoruba language, the OLUKUNMI. I am surprise as well. Who knew Igbos are actually Yorubas . . . . cheesy

yes they were

they evolved for 1000's of years mating with , ,.,.,.,.,. and now you know what, we have igbo

anioma is defienatly a yoruba clan
Re: Philip Emagwali:I Am Yoruba from Onitsha And Onitsha Is Yoruba Land! by aljharem3: 3:59am On May 05, 2011
maybe that is why they voted ACN undecided
Re: Philip Emagwali:I Am Yoruba from Onitsha And Onitsha Is Yoruba Land! by Justcash(m): 3:59am On May 05, 2011
Even Jesus go laugh for this one.
Re: Philip Emagwali:I Am Yoruba from Onitsha And Onitsha Is Yoruba Land! by EzeUche2(m): 4:00am On May 05, 2011
These Onicha Igbo. . .

Their names portrays them perfectly.  grin
Re: Philip Emagwali:I Am Yoruba from Onitsha And Onitsha Is Yoruba Land! by wired123: 4:00am On May 05, 2011
alj_harem:

yes they were

they evolved for 1000's of years mating with , ,.,.,.,.,. and now you know what, we have igbo

anioma is defienatly a yoruba clan

May be this might explain OBJ and his father look-alike from Onitsha. But it just sounds ridiculous to be honest. How can Igbos be Yorubas and vis-versa. A bit of research from another scientist other than Philip would certainly shed more light on this.
Re: Philip Emagwali:I Am Yoruba from Onitsha And Onitsha Is Yoruba Land! by aljharem3: 4:00am On May 05, 2011
Justcash:

why grin grin

is it not the smartest person in igboland that said this one
Re: Philip Emagwali:I Am Yoruba from Onitsha And Onitsha Is Yoruba Land! by aljharem3: 4:01am On May 05, 2011
EzeUche_:

These Onicha Igbo. . .

abi my brother

i don't think they are igbo though
Re: Philip Emagwali:I Am Yoruba from Onitsha And Onitsha Is Yoruba Land! by wired123: 4:01am On May 05, 2011
Justcash:

Bros, it was Philip ooo. Check his site for more info!!!
Re: Philip Emagwali:I Am Yoruba from Onitsha And Onitsha Is Yoruba Land! by wired123: 4:03am On May 05, 2011
Obasanjo says his father was not Obi of Onitsha

http://transparencyng.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2613:obasanjo-says-his-father-was-a-yoruba-man&catid=105:personality&Itemid=151
This explain a lot!!!
Onitsha-Yoruba-Benin connection.
Re: Philip Emagwali:I Am Yoruba from Onitsha And Onitsha Is Yoruba Land! by jason123: 4:09am On May 05, 2011
History

The history of Onitsha began with the migration of its people from the Benin Empire towards the end of early part of the Sixteenth Century AD. The migration was as a result of a wave of unrest, war and displacement unleashed by the Islamic movement from North Africa.

It was during their passage through the outskirts of Ile-Ife that they acquired the name Onitsha - a corruption of the Yoruba word Orisha and Udo, the famous shrine worshiped by the people. As time went on, the combination of the two words, Onitsha for Orisha and Ado for Udo culminated in the present name , Onitsha Ado.

The people of Onitsha left the out skirts of Ile-Ife and resettled in the Benin Kingdom and soon established themselves as one of the clans in the Benin Kingdom exercising all the rights and privileges attached thereon.

As a result of a long process of acculturation in Benin, the Onitsha people jealously guarded their acquired rights particularly with regard to their revered Shrine Udo.

It was suggested that the reason why the Onitsha people quarreled with Oba Esigie, (1404-1550), of Benin was because of the slight, the Oba gave their shrine-Udo. It was customary for newly installed Oba to pay homage to all important Shrines in the Benin Kingdom by slaughtering a cow in the shrines enclave. Oba Esigie failed to do this at the Onitsha people's Udo-Shrine, hence the quarrel.

It took the Onitsha people several years before they got to Obior and Ilah and finally crossed the River Niger and established Onitsha Ado. They stopped at several places in the then Mid-West now called Delta State, places like Agbor, Issele-Uku, etc. This explains the affinity with the inhabitants of Delta State like Ilah, Issele-Uku, Obbaamkpa, Onitsha-Olona, Onitsha Ugbo, Agbo, Obior, Onitsha Ukwu and so on.

Another version hold that the people of Onitsha were part of the Edo tribe. It is for this reason that Onitsha people fondly call their town "Onitsha Ado N'Idu" meaning Onitsha of Edo Origin. It is also believed that the emigrants were nicknamed "Onitsha" only after their exodus from Benin by people whose territories they marched through, ravaging all that stood in their way. The name Onitsha has also been translated to mean dispenser. It reflects the manner the emigrants dealt with obstacles placed on their route by adjourning towns and villages.
http://nigerianwiki.com/wiki/Onitsha
Re: Philip Emagwali:I Am Yoruba from Onitsha And Onitsha Is Yoruba Land! by Musiwa13: 4:20am On May 05, 2011
onitsha is igboland
Re: Philip Emagwali:I Am Yoruba from Onitsha And Onitsha Is Yoruba Land! by doctorT(m): 6:40am On May 05, 2011
wonders sahll never end.
Re: Philip Emagwali:I Am Yoruba from Onitsha And Onitsha Is Yoruba Land! by dayokanu(m): 6:44am On May 05, 2011
Ogbomoso is Minnesota

1 Like

Re: Philip Emagwali:I Am Yoruba from Onitsha And Onitsha Is Yoruba Land! by ThinTima(f): 8:35am On May 05, 2011
Aso rock in Ogun State, lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Philip Emagwali:I Am Yoruba from Onitsha And Onitsha Is Yoruba Land! by kasiem(m): 8:36am On May 05, 2011
Nnewi is an hausaland and ojukwu is ibb's elder brother
Re: Philip Emagwali:I Am Yoruba from Onitsha And Onitsha Is Yoruba Land! by gernded(m): 9:16am On May 05, 2011
BENIN IS GODFATHER OF INDIGBO AND YORUBAS.

BENIN BIG BROS I HEAIL UNA OHH
Re: Philip Emagwali:I Am Yoruba from Onitsha And Onitsha Is Yoruba Land! by Dede1(m): 12:21pm On May 05, 2011
@POST

Has it occurred to those who would want to stand historical facts on their heads that if the alleged migrations of numerous people from Benin Empire were true, there would have been nobody left in Benin Empire?
Re: Philip Emagwali:I Am Yoruba from Onitsha And Onitsha Is Yoruba Land! by joeyfire(m): 1:45pm On May 05, 2011
Ridiculous
Re: Philip Emagwali:I Am Yoruba from Onitsha And Onitsha Is Yoruba Land! by Nobody: 1:58pm On May 05, 2011
EzeUche_:

These Onicha Igbo. . .

You've always supported this guy but why are you denying him this time ? I'm sure the father of internet wouldn't have any problem using all his super computers to trace his genealogy .

ROFLMAO

1 Like

Re: Philip Emagwali:I Am Yoruba from Onitsha And Onitsha Is Yoruba Land! by abagoro(m): 2:06pm On May 05, 2011
Please you guys should not crucify him for the past is beyond our knowledge.One thing for sure is that there is Ado in Igboland and there is Ado in Yorubaland.Olukunmi or Igala might be our missing link.I bow out.
Re: Philip Emagwali:I Am Yoruba from Onitsha And Onitsha Is Yoruba Land! by ChinenyeN(m): 4:02pm On May 05, 2011
Onicha people are connected with Bini and Igala. Igala is connected with Bini and Yoruba. Who's to say that Philip isn't on to something? Although, the route he is taking is questionable, to say the least (Onitsha/Onicha/Orisha . . . uhm. . ).
Re: Philip Emagwali:I Am Yoruba from Onitsha And Onitsha Is Yoruba Land! by aljharem3: 4:09pm On May 05, 2011
kasiem:

Nnewi is an hausaland and ojukwu is ibb's elder brother

don't be dumb haba

he is one of african greatest scientist according to igbos

thus he denouns he igbo linkage and went to yoruba

he has denied any connection with igbo

1 Like

Re: Philip Emagwali:I Am Yoruba from Onitsha And Onitsha Is Yoruba Land! by RoadStar: 4:16pm On May 05, 2011
Whats so surprising about that ?
Present day Igbo is a civilization made up of migrants from far and near.
Which explains the the fact that Igbo is the most varietal language.

Same can be said about England who trace their roots from various parts of Europe and Scandinavia, Bavaria and Rome and even Greece.
Some even claim that the royal family is from Germany.
These does not make them any less English.

A certain philosopher once said that civilization is the coming 2gether of cultures.
That is also why the Igbos throughout history has never had a central control.

Only uncivilized remote tribes can claim a common ancestory.
But I no call anybody name o !
Re: Philip Emagwali:I Am Yoruba from Onitsha And Onitsha Is Yoruba Land! by aljharem3: 4:30pm On May 05, 2011
RoadStar:

Whats so surprising about that ?
Present day Igbo is a civilization made up of migrants from far and near.
Which explains the the fact that Igbo is the most varietal language.

Same can be said about England who trace their roots from various parts of Europe and Scandinavia, Bavaria and Rome and even Greece.
Some even claim that the royal family is from Germany.
These does not make them any less English.

A certain philosopher once said that civilization is the coming 2gether of cultures.
That is also why the Igbos throughout history has never had a central control.

Only uncivilized remote tribes can claim a common ancestory.
But I no call anybody name o !

i think that is a bad anology

if u talk of england, a least they acknolege they are english people but with german or what ever linage

ema said he is yoruba and acknologe his igbo linage

born and breed in akure
Re: Philip Emagwali:I Am Yoruba from Onitsha And Onitsha Is Yoruba Land! by RoadStar: 4:49pm On May 05, 2011
wired123:

Yoruba
The most comprehensive source of photographs on Yorubas.

Yoruba Onitsha, Orisha

Introduction: By PHILIP EMEAGWALI

I am a Yoruba by birth (born in Akure, western region) and Igbo by
heritage. As a native Onitsha Igbo
, I trace my ancestry to Eze Chima,
a prince who rebelled against the Benin royal dynasty and emigrated
from the kingdom. Other Igbos that trace their lineage to Eze Chima
include Onicha-Ukwu, Onicha-Olona, Onicha-Ugbo, Obior,
Issele-Ukwu, Issele-Mkpima, Issele-Azagba, Ezi, Abeh and Obamkpa.

Native Onitshans speak a dialect of the Igbo language with several
Benin/Yoruba words such as "Obi" (of Onitsha) and "Oba" (of Benin).
In fact, the word Onitsha (Onicha) is a corruption of the god "Orisha."
The bini name for River Niger is Ohinmwin. The Onicha Igbo call it
"Orinmili." In a few years, we will have DNA tests that proves (or
disproves) the Onitsha-Benin-Yoruba connection.

In fact, a lost dialect of the Yoruba language, called Olukwumu, is
spoken in Brazil and in a few Igbo communities named Anioma,
Idumu-Ogu, Ubulubu, Ugboba, Ugbodu, and Ukwunzu
(M. A. Onwuejeogwu, 1987 Ahiajoku Lecture

The absence Olukwumu in core Yoruba land proves that these
communities are the Lost Yoruba Tribe that were fleeing from
slave raiders. (Excerpt)

http://www.assatashakur.org/forum/traditional/6833-yoruba-onitsha-orisha.html

Follow this link to read up on what Emeagwuali has to say . . . . .

The problem is that the author is talking from a modern concept.

He is Yoruba by birth as he was born in Yorubaland.
The same way Obama is American by birth.

He is Igbo from Onitsha by Heritage
As Obama is Kenyan by Heritage.

But he was referring to his ancestral influence.
Philip has always been a pro-black Pan-African.

He is a modern man while some of you are just tribesman.

2 Likes

Re: Philip Emagwali:I Am Yoruba from Onitsha And Onitsha Is Yoruba Land! by aljharem3: 5:11pm On May 05, 2011
RoadStar:

But he was referring to his ancestral influence.
Philip has always been a pro-black Pan-African.

He is a modern man while some of you are just tribesman.

obama has kenya linage but he is american now

philp has igbo linage but he is yoruba now (he as been sucessfully been yorubaized and so will his children and other generations)
Re: Philip Emagwali:I Am Yoruba from Onitsha And Onitsha Is Yoruba Land! by idnole4(m): 5:23pm On May 05, 2011

wink wink wink

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Five Interesting Traditional Dances From Eastern Nigeria / Ritual Prayers For Mariners: What You Must Know As A Human Being / 10 Colourful Cultural Festivals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.