Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,452 members, 7,954,775 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 08:58 AM

Some Cultures That Must Be Abolished In Nigeria - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Some Cultures That Must Be Abolished In Nigeria (475 Views)

Idoma Traditional Bride Price Is ₦50,000, Costly Burial Rites Abolished / Igwe Kenneth Orizu: Why I Abolished Osu Caste System / Osu Caste System Abolished In Irete, Owerri West LGA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Some Cultures That Must Be Abolished In Nigeria by selfemployed(m): 3:31am On Jun 15, 2021
Recently, I read about an Anambra widow that refused to drink the water that was used to wash the corpse of her husband. I was shocked to know such practices still exist.

Why has Africans refused to grow? It is said that "It's good to be a child, but its not good to remain a child" Every child must learn and grow such he or she will do away with childish behaviours.

Forcing a woman to drink the water that was used to wash a corpse in this age is very alarming. Do you realize the health implications of such practices? This is what ignorance can do. Is he there no NGO or something that can help educate people on some of these things?

Not only the above mentioned practice. There are some other practices in my opinion that must be abolished in our cultures as a people.

(1) The practice of denying a woman inheritance of his father's properties. Some say it's supposed to be so because the woman gets married and leaves for her husband's family. What if the woman didn't get married? What injustice?

(2). Excessive marital and burial rites. I don't know what we gain by placing economic burdens on people

(3). Prohibiting people from getting married because of where they came from

(4). Classifying a group of people with derogatory names such as "OSU" in Igbo land

There are quite a number of which I may not remember now.

It's time we allowed love to control our behavior towards one another and outgrow any such behavior that adds no value to our existence.

1 Like

Re: Some Cultures That Must Be Abolished In Nigeria by edoairways: 11:50am On Jun 17, 2021
selfemployed these practices are perculiar to Igbos though others still practice it

(1) (Reply)

Female-gender Protection / Campaign Against Rape & Rapist And Girl-child Abuse / New Paramount King Of The Idoma's Has Been Elected / Igbo Culture Experts: Help With My Traditional Wedding Agenda

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.