Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,871 members, 7,824,625 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:45 PM

Inflation, Devaluation Push Millennials Away From ₦20 Trillion Stock Market - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Inflation, Devaluation Push Millennials Away From ₦20 Trillion Stock Market (9904 Views)

Biggest Mess Created In 2023 Was Naira Devaluation From N460 To N1,400-Dangote / Naira devaluation: BDCs get dollars at ₦393, sell for N494 / Analysts Predict Naira Devaluation To N400/$ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Inflation, Devaluation Push Millennials Away From ₦20 Trillion Stock Market by authority2006(m): 8:30am On Jun 15, 2021
Kubernetes:
During Soludo in 2007, I used #500,000 to buy 15,000 units of first bank shares at #33/share. Today the bonuses I got has increased it to 27,000 units. Now that the share price of the bank is #7.1/share, the value of my investment is less than #200,000 giving me a huge loss of of my investment in 17 years. What a loss in my investment!!!!! Imagine if I had bought a piece of land with the money, I am sure the value will now be over 100%

The values of shares were inflated at the time, many people even borrowed money to buy shares at the time. Then, it crashed. Now, the prices are back to where it is supposed to be.
Re: Inflation, Devaluation Push Millennials Away From ₦20 Trillion Stock Market by Vireani79: 8:34am On Jun 15, 2021
Deltafirstson:

https://guardian.ng/news/inflation-devaluation-push-millennials-away-from-n20-trillion-stock-market/

Bloody scammers
No be so una chop my money for transcorp
In 2007
From N9.70kobo
To 50kobo
Na so I dey look my money go down
Even when I wanted to sell
It was a problem
Bring passport
Bring authentic signature from ur bank
By the time I submit to sell
E don drop more
I manage to come out @ N1:50
A mere 100k from 500k invested to get 68,000units
Thinking that once I come back to nigeria
The money I make I will use it to be a big boy for life
Re: Inflation, Devaluation Push Millennials Away From ₦20 Trillion Stock Market by ezef2k4(m): 8:39am On Jun 15, 2021
In all, am particularly impressed that they are proposing to include capital market studies as part of the school curricula. Financial literacy at a very young age will really benefit this country. Many of us don't know how this stock thing works until much later in our life. Even if you don't wish to trade in NSE, then go abroad NYSE etc.
Re: Inflation, Devaluation Push Millennials Away From ₦20 Trillion Stock Market by Nobody: 8:42am On Jun 15, 2021
authority2006:

Plus
MMM
Crypto
Digital Farming
E Cooperative
And other shiity investments. It all boils down to Get Rich Quickly Syndrome

Our inflation rate and unemployment rate makes people chase get rich quick schemes

4 Likes

Re: Inflation, Devaluation Push Millennials Away From ₦20 Trillion Stock Market by Kubernetes: 8:55am On Jun 15, 2021
khalids:

Bros...you see that period heen.....the stock market just scammed people...there was huge inflow of funds...A lot of people bought shares within that period.....I bought from seven different companies spread across different industries. 50% of my income was going into shares, at the end of the day non is performing even after 17years......

Naija shares na scam....don't even waste your time....banks will be posting huge end-of-year profit, Dangote will be claiming billionaire status....people who are shareholders will be posting loss.....nonsense

They have broken the trust millennials gave them, and it cannot be returned. Me i don move go NYSE via bamboo...As they devalue naira i make more money....I no fit shout abeg

Exactly. Most of the banks stocks then,were over valued and there was also an insider abuse which led to the bubble bust. As at today, I will not buy any bank stocks which is more than #2 and the bank must be FUGAZ. I made a great mistake by not investing on the telecoms stocks like Airtel which is now trading at over #800/share. Infact look at the Oil stock like Seplat going for over #600/share implying other sectors are doing well. I am also looking at foreign stocks in NASDAQ but till when money comes.
Re: Inflation, Devaluation Push Millennials Away From ₦20 Trillion Stock Market by macrodata(m): 9:27am On Jun 15, 2021
post=102735583:

And the most annoying part is that this keep happening year in year out.
They want to turn 10K to 100K in one month doing nothing!! shocked
How will someone promise you 60% ROI on investment and you’ll believe such?
You will even see some coming here on a daily basis asking if so so and so company is real,
Why? Cos they are ready to invest.......as usual!
Some Nigerians will be greedy till they enter the grave.
No pity for them.
Manyegut businesses you can do or invest your money in that will fetch constant profits.
But for where, na sharp sharp money dem want!

Exactly our point!
Please stick to your usual politics and vulture roasting business. Don't contribute to discussions on investments & currencies because you have the same backward, ill-informed & biased mindset as the Nigerian government. These points you raised are rubbish!

Everybody is free to do with their money as they please. Even the traditional financial instruments are highly manipulated by the big investors. Shares & stocks can be manipulated because it is centralized. Decentralized finance takes away that power from a central authority and that is why these big players in CeFi are not happy.

Cryptocurrency is here to stay, if you don't have plans to use it, fine. You children will sure use it.

Educate yourself, there's more to life than supporting Buhari & grilling bush rodents.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Inflation, Devaluation Push Millennials Away From ₦20 Trillion Stock Market by Kubernetes: 9:40am On Jun 15, 2021
authority2006:

The values of shares were inflated at the time, many people even borrowed money to buy shares at the time. Then, it crashed. Now, the prices are back to where it is supposed to be.

OK but was there an apparent proof for that? If yes, then CBN ought to have sanctioned and even fined the banks and the NSE. And the the money realised should be use to settle the investors, even if its small.
Re: Inflation, Devaluation Push Millennials Away From ₦20 Trillion Stock Market by dodoisk(m): 11:14am On Jun 15, 2021
Central Bank Digital Currency. We are gone. No more privacy
Re: Inflation, Devaluation Push Millennials Away From ₦20 Trillion Stock Market by fombi: 12:03pm On Jun 15, 2021
Stock market is the biggest ponzi scheme of all time, sourced with fake valueless and excessive printed papers such as naira. Even buhari with is low IQ was able to print money, how do you expect it to have value compared to BTC that can't be printed?
Re: Inflation, Devaluation Push Millennials Away From ₦20 Trillion Stock Market by LikeAking: 12:43pm On Jun 15, 2021
People are now wiser.

Stock market is old school.

2 Likes

Re: Inflation, Devaluation Push Millennials Away From ₦20 Trillion Stock Market by Naanlong01: 1:18pm On Jun 15, 2021
rentAcock:
It makes no sense investing in the Nigerian stock market because every day your money stays in naira denomination, its losing value. Your Nigerian portfolio may give you an annualised gain of 20%, but what use is it when the naira loses buying power by 40% annually?

I was able to convince my family to convert their naira to dogecoin, let's see how it goes.

rentAcock..... Any help on how I can follow your advice to your family? But i'm more interested in Bitcoin and not dogecoin.
Re: Inflation, Devaluation Push Millennials Away From ₦20 Trillion Stock Market by Onuels(m): 2:16pm On Jun 15, 2021
Johnrake69:
The Nigerian Financial institutions don't know what's about to hit them.

They have nothing to offer the millennial generation. I can't imagine myself investing in Nigerian stock when I can buy stable crypto currency and do staking and lending on wault.finance, Ftx exchange and I can get almost 50% per annum. With the advantage of securing my investment in USD. So anything Emefiele like let him exchange Naira. millennial generation are ahead of him.

This is more reason people like Buhari, Lie Mohammed should be at home playing with their grandchildren. This current economy has no place for analogue leaders

Bros abeg educate us how to leverage on this with you
Re: Inflation, Devaluation Push Millennials Away From ₦20 Trillion Stock Market by Johnrake69: 3:21pm On Jun 15, 2021
Onuels:

Bros abeg educate us how to leverage on this with you

You go pay money make I teach you?
Re: Inflation, Devaluation Push Millennials Away From ₦20 Trillion Stock Market by authority2006(m): 3:24pm On Jun 15, 2021
Sysdatek:

Our inflation rate and unemployment rate makes people chase get rich quick schemes

Goodluck to them
Re: Inflation, Devaluation Push Millennials Away From ₦20 Trillion Stock Market by yazga: 4:05pm On Jun 15, 2021
Kubernetes:
During Soludo in 2007, I used #500,000 to buy 15,000 units of first bank shares at #33/share. Today the bonuses I got has increased it to 27,000 units. Now that the share price of the bank is #7.1/share, the value of my investment is less than #200,000 giving me a huge loss of of my investment in 17 years. What a loss in my investment!!!!! Imagine if I had bought a piece of land with the money, I am sure the value will now be over 100%
A friend bought a land in Ajah same year. It current price is 35m
Re: Inflation, Devaluation Push Millennials Away From ₦20 Trillion Stock Market by Baxilexi(m): 9:56am On Jun 16, 2021
4gunners:
A lot of things are just wrong in this country. Brilliant idea you posited, but it still won’t work if there is no sincerity of purpose. Don’t you think the banks will also hoard FX or sell to the highest bidder?

There wouldn’t be a viable black market once these reforms and measures are instituted. Also, the bank wouldn’t be dependent on the forex received from the CBN by the FG.

The CBN should instruct money merchants to stop the pick up cash option leaving only pay to account on their platforms. Hence anyone who wants to receive forex will receive it directly into their account which they can withdraw but it would be of no gain because, anyone and everyone can equally trade Naira for USD on their bank apps. Hence they’ll sell it to the bank.

This way I believe the exchange rate will never exceed a 20 naira range between CBN rate and Commercial bank rate and this will create some stability in the prices of goods.
Re: Inflation, Devaluation Push Millennials Away From ₦20 Trillion Stock Market by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 10:22am On Jun 16, 2021
Baxilexi:

There wouldn’t be a viable black market once these reforms and measures are instituted. Also, the bank wouldn’t be dependent on the forex received from the CBN by the FG.

The CBN should instruct money merchants to stop the pick up cash option leaving only pay to account on their platforms. Hence anyone who wants to receive forex will receive it directly into their account which they can withdraw but it would be of no gain because, anyone and everyone can equally trade Naira for USD on their bank apps. Hence they’ll sell it to the bank.

This way I believe the exchange rate will never exceed a 20 naira range between CBN rate and Commercial bank rate and this will create some stability in the prices of goods.
exactly u are very correct. This is solution.

But u know what these wicked people will never follow your advice, they have terrorised the economy for so long, damaging the economy beyond repair.
Re: Inflation, Devaluation Push Millennials Away From ₦20 Trillion Stock Market by buragoz: 4:36pm On Mar 03, 2022
Investing is the process of building capital, which is used to achieve a certain goal. Based on the goal the investment strategy and all further characteristics of the portfolio are built. In my opinion, inflation on the contrary is a factor for learning how to invest https://www.independentinvestor.com/share-dealing/stock-trading-tips/. Also, people start investing to provide themselves with a comfortable old age and do not rely on the pension system. As we can see, the old "working and getting a pension from the state" scheme leads to a terrible shortage of money to cover pensions.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Some Things You Should Know About Online Shopping / Modified: HOW I WITHDREW LESS THAN 50$ FROM PAYONEER / Nigeria’s Gas Production Rises As Shell Completes Project

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.