Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,300 members, 7,819,016 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:00 AM

Would You Advice Someone To Study Law, The Noble Profession In Nigeria ? - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Would You Advice Someone To Study Law, The Noble Profession In Nigeria ? (15643 Views)

What Would You Advice Both Parties To Do In Such A Situation / Here's One Of The Most Overrated Profession And Why / Noble Hall Leadership Academy For Girls Job Recruitment (3 Positions) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Would You Advice Someone To Study Law, The Noble Profession In Nigeria ? by Nobody: 9:53pm On Jun 20, 2021
I won't advise anyone to study anything in Nigeria

3 Likes

Re: Would You Advice Someone To Study Law, The Noble Profession In Nigeria ? by philkay(m): 9:54pm On Jun 20, 2021
If I come to this world and find myself in country like Nigeria, I will prefer to study law... The system is so porous, you can easily make it in the profession just that most people doesn't want to work but just become rich overnight. People are too blind to see opportunity around.

Law profession is better than most courses because once you're called, you have what can sustain you throughout your live, you don't need to start looking for work. You might not be rich oh but you will get the basic things of life. Just be humble, pray, work, you will get there some day.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Would You Advice Someone To Study Law, The Noble Profession In Nigeria ? by VlamesIffect(f): 9:54pm On Jun 20, 2021
grin grin grin grin

My lord may I, If i may....

2 Likes

Re: Would You Advice Someone To Study Law, The Noble Profession In Nigeria ? by Botfuss: 9:54pm On Jun 20, 2021
So many of you would condemn law but when it’s Endsars protest now, you would be tagging the lawyers you know. grin

That bail you people ridicule so much ehn, you would know the value if you sleep one day in a cell with no lawyer to bail you.

Yes, life is difficult for young lawyers. But the profession is never about immediate gratification. Regardless, Law firms should do better with remuneration.

Besides, which course is lucrative in this Nigeria again? Only tech boys dey flex. The course may not be what it used to be due to proliferation of lawyers, but the study is NEVER a waste.

One overnight brief can change your life FOREVER.

19 Likes

Re: Would You Advice Someone To Study Law, The Noble Profession In Nigeria ? by BrazilAirport: 9:57pm On Jun 20, 2021
Synord:
Written by Iamsynord . He tweets via @iamsynord .
Long time bro. Havent seen you in a while
Re: Would You Advice Someone To Study Law, The Noble Profession In Nigeria ? by Fembleez1(m): 10:01pm On Jun 20, 2021
Law does not only have to do with going to Court or Litigating! kiss

1 Like

Re: Would You Advice Someone To Study Law, The Noble Profession In Nigeria ? by KingOKON: 10:02pm On Jun 20, 2021
danski:

Like ur dad

I can see that you are from a family of cows, have you given your grandfather any grass this fathers day cos I know ya father is a bush somewhere in d country

2 Likes

Re: Would You Advice Someone To Study Law, The Noble Profession In Nigeria ? by Dreadlock69(m): 10:03pm On Jun 20, 2021
You go where wig for your papa house tire
Re: Would You Advice Someone To Study Law, The Noble Profession In Nigeria ? by danski: 10:06pm On Jun 20, 2021
KingOKON:

I can see that you are from a family of cows, have you given your grandfather any grass this fathers day cos I know ya father is a bush somewhere in d country

Ur family is d reason buhari wanna bring back d grazing routes bcus una b cows dumb fucking bastard

1 Like

Re: Would You Advice Someone To Study Law, The Noble Profession In Nigeria ? by WeRblessed(f): 10:07pm On Jun 20, 2021
Does Nigeria have a law? A lawless and Brutish Nation that kills it citizens without prosecution and do things without due process.

1 Like

Re: Would You Advice Someone To Study Law, The Noble Profession In Nigeria ? by taiwotimitt: 10:09pm On Jun 20, 2021
All my friends that studied law, most of them are now redeeming cards, buying and selling Bitcoin, e no easy o

1 Like

Re: Would You Advice Someone To Study Law, The Noble Profession In Nigeria ? by BarrElChapo(m): 10:14pm On Jun 20, 2021
If you have the opportunity to study abroad, no but if you are an art student without more then it's your best bet. Get good grades in the University and law school. You'd be fine

1 Like

Re: Would You Advice Someone To Study Law, The Noble Profession In Nigeria ? by Kingzjayzee: 10:16pm On Jun 20, 2021
Na u ask na u still answer the question

1 Like

Re: Would You Advice Someone To Study Law, The Noble Profession In Nigeria ? by kareemkamil(m): 10:20pm On Jun 20, 2021
Law for waiting, to study Islamic & Christianity religion is beta than law.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Would You Advice Someone To Study Law, The Noble Profession In Nigeria ? by KingOKON: 10:20pm On Jun 20, 2021
danski:

Ur family is d reason buhari wanna bring back d grazing routes bcus una b cows dumb fucking bastard

Sharap
Cow routes or not, you are a 4kin family of cows since 4ver

1 Like

Re: Would You Advice Someone To Study Law, The Noble Profession In Nigeria ? by Sirwifi: 10:21pm On Jun 20, 2021
Oya
Re: Would You Advice Someone To Study Law, The Noble Profession In Nigeria ? by Kingpin1000: 10:22pm On Jun 20, 2021
Synord:
Growing Up , A lot of people regarded law as a noble profession . The profession of the learned .

When Kids are asked , what do you want to become when’s you grow up ? . Most of the kids would respond with these the three major professions , Doctor , Lawyer , Engineer and Other professions will follow .

Looking at the situation of things now , it seems the legal profession is the worst hit as it pertains to the decline of prestige once attached to the professions.

It is quite worrisome and shameful the state of most lawyers and law graduates in the present Nigeria . A twitter thread a while back showed the horror stories most young Lawyers and even Lawyers that are 5 - 6 years at the bar are facing .

Poor remuneration of below 50k , court strikes that leads to zero litigation cases , disregard for court pronouncements and lack of a proper structure to cater to the needs of lawyers in the country .

Many have said why practice law in a lawless nation ? . This question is especially close to the truth when one realizes that the level of corruption in the judiciary and how difficult it is to perhaps succeed in the profession without election petition cases and dubious government transactions .

Even the assigning of the conferred position of Senior Advocates of Nigeria is saddled with corruption .

More so, Nigeria seems To a country that many citizens do not value the services of a lawyer until when trouble comes . As such , most do not value retainer-ship agreement and those that do give meager fees .

It is even more difficult because a lot of lawyers are out there and if one refuses due to the obtainable standard of charge anywhere in the world , another Nigerian lawyer hungry for a crumb of case will take it up. It seems there are too many lawyers for people who are either too ignorant to believe their services are of value or too supposedly knowledgeable with the system to know that resolving issues in the court of law in Nigeria is one hell of a battle .

A mere look at the actions of the current attorney general of the federation as regards sensitive issues like cattle grazing and social media ban , the removal and treatment of a Chief Justice of Nigeria , raid of the houses of chief justices of states by the security agencies , unpaid salaries of magistrates and calibre of lawyers that become SANS has pointed a lot to the state of legal practice in Nigeria ?

The big question now is “ would an average Nigerian say law is a noble profession and will you still Advice someone to study law in this present Nigeria ?
With these few points of yours, you have been able to convince and not confuse the panel of Judges, co debaters and your audience that " Studying law in Nigeria is not a good choice of career " except you want to end up as those lawyers that serves as property agents or those lawyers people call" Charge and bail"
Even Falz wey papa na SAN and get the whole connection,leave law enter entertainment industry. If you no want get sense you may end up as a hustler in one of these our high courts running up and down with one rumpled regalia and bent shoes wey dem never polish for 10 years.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Would You Advice Someone To Study Law, The Noble Profession In Nigeria ? by highbee02: 10:24pm On Jun 20, 2021
Ambulance chaser/charge and bail
Re: Would You Advice Someone To Study Law, The Noble Profession In Nigeria ? by matm: 10:24pm On Jun 20, 2021
Law is a nice course.As a lawyer,u can fit in in so many areas like banking,teaching,police force,private companies etc aside practicing or not practicing the profession.It gives u an edge over other applicants and u earn higher due to ur legal aid position as well.
Nothing is as nice as education up to its peak if u can afford d money involved.
However,merge education with skill acquisition right from Jss 1.Yes skill acquisition during the weekends and holidays.By the time you are in Ss1,u pay ur fees urself and even support ur parents in a little way.And u can further ur education up to d university level even if ur parents can't.
After graduation,u can still get a job in the midst of unemployment either on ur own or white collar job supported with ur personal job.
Do not listen to those who tell u dt education is a scam
Survival in life is never a bed of roses for everyone.
Many who quit school still find life so hard today.And some who made it through hook and crook,watch it,in 20 years time and see their condition
Tj God for education.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Would You Advice Someone To Study Law, The Noble Profession In Nigeria ? by Pavillon: 10:24pm On Jun 20, 2021
Law is still a noble profession cos if I may, my lord, if I may... May I my lord, bring to this honourable court my lord. grin
Re: Would You Advice Someone To Study Law, The Noble Profession In Nigeria ? by Joetttimua1811(m): 10:25pm On Jun 20, 2021
For this lawless corn tree
Re: Would You Advice Someone To Study Law, The Noble Profession In Nigeria ? by esthel(f): 10:26pm On Jun 20, 2021
Law is lucrative if you have correct connections and that paper agreement you said a senior friend once rejected 5 Million offer to draft a contract on oil and gas, he insisted on 25 Million.
A junior lawyer he sends as intermediary hijacked the brief for N500k, he told me he knew the guy was going to do it for less he didn't care because he gets correct brief always. Some lawyers are still balling forget it.

The issue is that the number of lawyers is on the high side, every year thousands are churned out some get lucky while some do not.

For charge and bail too, people are quick to mock them, a smart one can make an average of 150k in a week, check that in a month. A guy left Lagos for Osogbo to start the practice, his colleagues he left in Lagos marvelled at his achievements in a short while.

Some top corporate and commercial law firms in Lagos pay entry levels about 200k and some above that.

Law needs you to be street smart, be book smart, ensure you get good grades in school and law school to get an edge over others. I won't doubt the importance of connection too. Add a stroke of luck and you are good to go.
slawormiir:
Damnnn niggarrrr
Isoright

Yeah.....especially if you wanna be a charge and bail lawyer
Laugh in Swahili
Or writing agreement paper on land issues for ten thousand naira or highest fifteen thousand naira

5 Likes

Re: Would You Advice Someone To Study Law, The Noble Profession In Nigeria ? by Prechy08(m): 10:26pm On Jun 20, 2021
Na affidavit or house agent get you.
Re: Would You Advice Someone To Study Law, The Noble Profession In Nigeria ? by UwaMmebii(m): 10:28pm On Jun 20, 2021
olola4:
No! I wanted to study law when I was in secondary school , it was my dad who work as a court registrar that said NEVER! It was after I graduated from university and I compared myself with my mate who studied law that I understand why Law is a waste of time in Nigeria of today.

Ur dad answer to u is a perfect illustration of what a man can see while sitting down a child cannot see it even if climb 10 storey building

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Would You Advice Someone To Study Law, The Noble Profession In Nigeria ? by Nobody: 10:29pm On Jun 20, 2021
Let this cattle administration finish first.

1 Like

Re: Would You Advice Someone To Study Law, The Noble Profession In Nigeria ? by Kenogidi: 10:30pm On Jun 20, 2021
Success in law practice in Nigeria depends on the individual lawyer. If you're rugged, determined and very hardworking, you'll be fine. Sha know you'll need support and soft landing (via rich and or connected parents) in your nascent years in practice, if not be ready to exercise loads of patience and imbibe the aforementioned traits if you wanna succeed.
NB: don't settle for salaried employment from any yeye senior colleague.

I'm 7 years at the bar cool. You're welcome

7 Likes

Re: Would You Advice Someone To Study Law, The Noble Profession In Nigeria ? by seyz91(m): 10:46pm On Jun 20, 2021
The only thing i can advise anyone to study in Nigeria is "personal Hustle"

Anything academics must be outside this shit hole
Synord:
Growing Up , A lot of people regarded law as a noble profession . The profession of the learned .

When Kids are asked , what do you want to become when’s you grow up ? . Most of the kids would respond with these the three major professions , Doctor , Lawyer , Engineer and Other professions will follow .

Looking at the situation of things now , it seems the legal profession is the worst hit as it pertains to the decline of prestige once attached to the professions.

It is quite worrisome and shameful the state of most lawyers and law graduates in the present Nigeria . A twitter thread a while back showed the horror stories most young Lawyers and even Lawyers that are 5 - 6 years at the bar are facing .

Poor remuneration of below 50k , court strikes that leads to zero litigation cases , disregard for court pronouncements and lack of a proper structure to cater to the needs of lawyers in the country .

Many have said why practice law in a lawless nation ? . This question is especially close to the truth when one realizes that the level of corruption in the judiciary and how difficult it is to perhaps succeed in the profession without election petition cases and dubious government transactions .

Even the assigning of the conferred position of Senior Advocates of Nigeria is saddled with corruption .

More so, Nigeria seems To a country that many citizens do not value the services of a lawyer until when trouble comes . As such , most do not value retainer-ship agreement and those that do give meager fees .

It is even more difficult because a lot of lawyers are out there and if one refuses due to the obtainable standard of charge anywhere in the world , another Nigerian lawyer hungry for a crumb of case will take it up. It seems there are too many lawyers for people who are either too ignorant to believe their services are of value or too supposedly knowledgeable with the system to know that resolving issues in the court of law in Nigeria is one hell of a battle .

A mere look at the actions of the current attorney general of the federation as regards sensitive issues like cattle grazing and social media ban , the removal and treatment of a Chief Justice of Nigeria , raid of the houses of chief justices of states by the security agencies , unpaid salaries of magistrates and calibre of lawyers that become SANS has pointed a lot to the state of legal practice in Nigeria ?

The big question now is “ would an average Nigerian say law is a noble profession and will you still Advice someone to study law in this present Nigeria ?

1 Like

Re: Would You Advice Someone To Study Law, The Noble Profession In Nigeria ? by KlausMike(m): 10:47pm On Jun 20, 2021
Study law in a lawless country?
Re: Would You Advice Someone To Study Law, The Noble Profession In Nigeria ? by Peterlawyer(m): 10:48pm On Jun 20, 2021
Very funny !! I have a friend who studied law and was call to bar some years ago the funniest part is that she is currently running a Post graduate diploma PG in mass communication in one of the private university in south wast .

1 Like

Re: Would You Advice Someone To Study Law, The Noble Profession In Nigeria ? by hardbody: 10:50pm On Jun 20, 2021
RightToReject:
Yes, and of course, the law profession remains a noble and lucrative profession. There is no versatile - seasoned or not - lawyer in Nigeria that is perpetually poor. There are more areas of practice in law other than litigation, and even at that, versatile seasoned litigators are well off.

You actually have the time to respond to this over flogged topic. The OP and his supporters should leave law alone and study other lucrative courses. I am a lawyer...I have straddled practice, banking, insurance and telecoms.

These boys think all lawyers do is go to court, even at that, i know how much i approve for my external solicitors on each brief. Only lawyers are so versatile that they are found in virtually every industry.

Kids don't know and won't learn.

In my next world i will still be a lawyer but i will only start earlier than i did in my present life.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Would You Advice Someone To Study Law, The Noble Profession In Nigeria ? by Bekermann(m): 11:12pm On Jun 20, 2021
esthel:
Law is lucrative if you have correct connections and that paper agreement you said a senior friend once rejected 5 Million offer to draft a contract on oil and gas, he insisted on 25 Million.
A junior lawyer he sends as intermediary hijacked the brief for N500k, he told me he knew the guy was going to do it for less he didn't care because he gets correct brief always. Some lawyers are still balling forget it.

The issue is that the number of lawyers is on the high side, every year thousands are churned out some get lucky while some do not.

For charge and bail too, people are quick to mock them, a smart one can make an average of 150k in a week, check that in a month. A guy left Lagos for Osogbo to start the practice, his colleagues he left in Lagos marvelled at his achievements in a short while.

Some top corporate and commercial law firms in Lagos pay entry levels about 200k and some above that.

Law needs you to be street smart, be book smart, ensure you get good grades in school and law school to get an edge over others. I won't doubt the importance of connection too. Add a stroke of luck and you are good to go.

Just imagine... He left Lagos for Osogbo to start his private practice. Some people will think he's gone crazy for such decision. I'm sure he'll be laughed at considering the fact that he's moving to Osogbo. Bottom line is that the grass is green everywhere.

May the Almighty bless the works of our hands.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

AG Leventis PLC Fresh Recruitment (11 Positions) / Apply For First Bank Of Nigeria Limited Latest Job Recruitment (5 Positions) / Security Tips When Going For Job Interview

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.