Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,659 members, 7,955,378 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 01:20 AM

Chief Obafemi Awolowo Interview: Starvation Policy & The Igbos - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Chief Obafemi Awolowo Interview: Starvation Policy & The Igbos (529 Views)

CHIEF OBAFEMI AWOLOWO And His Achievements / Chief Obafemi Awolowo's Private Car in 1979 (photo) / OBAFEMI AWOLOWO INTERVIEW: Abandoned Property Of The Igbos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chief Obafemi Awolowo Interview: Starvation Policy & The Igbos by IjapaTiroko: 3:53pm On Jun 23, 2021
The following is the continuation of the excerpts/minutes of a Chief Obafemi Awolowo interview from the previous threads i posted

STARVATION POLICY

"Then, but above all, the ending of the war itself that I’m accused of, accused of starving the Ibos, I did nothing of the sort.

You know, shortly after the liberation of these places, Calabar, Enugu and Port Harcourt, I decided to pay a visit. There are certain things which I knew which you don’t know, which I don’t want to say here now, when I write my reminisces in the future I will do so. Some of the soldiers were not truthful with us, they didn’t tell us correct stories and so on.

I wanted to be there and see things for myself, bear in mind that Gowon himself did not go there at that time, it was after the war was over that he dorn himself up in various military dresses- Air force dress, Army dress and so on, and went to the war torn areas. But I went and some people tried to frighten me out of my goal by saying that Adekunle was my enemy and he was going to see to it that I never return from the place, so I went.
But when I went what did I see? I saw the kwashiorkor victims. If you see a kwashiorkor victim you’ll never like war to be waged. Terrible sight, in Enugu, in Port Harcourt, not many in Calabar, but mainly in Enugu and Port Harcourt.

Then I enquired what happened to the food we are sending to the civilians. We were sending food through the Red Cross, and CARITAS to them, but what happen was that the vehicles carrying the food were always ambushed by the rebel soldiers. That’s what I discovered, and the food would then be taken to the soldiers to feed them, and so they were able to continue to fight. And I said that was a very dangerous policy, we didn’t intend the food for soldiers. But who will go behind the line to stop the soldiers from ambushing the vehicles that were carrying the food? And as long as soldiers were fed, the war will continue, and who’ll continue to suffer? And those who didn’t go to the place to see things as I did, you remember that all the big guns, all the soldiers in the Biafran army looked all well fed after the war, its only the mass of the people that suffered kwashiorkor.
You won’t hear of a single lawyer, a single doctor, a single architect, who suffered from kwashiorkor? None of their children either, so they waylaid the foods, they ambush the vehicles and took the foods to their friends and to their collaborators and to their children and the masses were suffering. So I decided to stop sending the food there. In the process the civilians would suffer, but the soldiers will suffer most.

What Chief Obáfémi Awólówò said about Why Nigeria Changed Its Currency Pounds To Naira During The Civil War
https://www.nairaland.com/6617298/obafemi-awolowo-interview-change-currency
Re: Chief Obafemi Awolowo Interview: Starvation Policy & The Igbos by Nobody: 4:14pm On Jun 23, 2021
Hmmm.... The wound of 58 years is still yet to heal up.

1 Like

Re: Chief Obafemi Awolowo Interview: Starvation Policy & The Igbos by Christistruth00: 4:24pm On Jun 23, 2021
cool

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chief Obafemi Awolowo Interview: Starvation Policy & The Igbos by IjapaTiroko: 4:24pm On Jun 23, 2021
Doradorwa:
Hmmm.... The wound of 58 years is still yet to heal up.
Bandages don't fix bullet holes
Anybody that thinks wounds heal is just being naïve.
All parties need their weapons drawn all the time, even in the midnight. Any party caught napping will lose fast in this 21st century, unless if rescued by providence.
Re: Chief Obafemi Awolowo Interview: Starvation Policy & The Igbos by IjapaTiroko: 4:30pm On Jun 23, 2021
Christistruth00:
cool
If this is true, Zik put his self interest ahead of his ethnic group.
If that was to enjoy the independence from Britain he recently got, I wouldn't know.
If it was as a result of embitterment that his government was toppled off, I also dunno.

(1) (Reply)

Enjoying Steady Power Supply In Akwa Ibom State / Zamfara Governor, Bello Matawalle, To Defect From PDP To APC On Tuesday, June 29 / 145-man Committee Inaugurated For Buhari Son’s Wedding To Bichi Emir’s Daughter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.