Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,451 members, 7,816,046 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:52 AM

Kidnapping: Absence Of Defence Witness Stalls Evans’ Trial - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Kidnapping: Absence Of Defence Witness Stalls Evans’ Trial (223 Views)

Absence Of Interpreter Stalls Trial Of Chinese Accused Of Killing Nigerian Girl / Adoke’s Illness Stalls Efcc’s Interrogation Into $1.06 Billion Malabu Oil Block / Billionaire Kidnapper, Evans Trial Resumes Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Kidnapping: Absence Of Defence Witness Stalls Evans’ Trial by oaktvnigeria: 3:57pm On Jun 23, 2021
The absence of a defence witness on Wednesday stalled the ongoing trial of alleged kidnap kingpin, Chukwudimeme Onwuamadike (“Evans”) and others before an Ikeja high court.

Evans’s counsel, Mr Oyekunle Falabi, from Victor Okpara and Co Chambers informed the court that the witness, whose name was not provided, could no longer be reached via phone.

‘My lord, ordinarily we are ready to go on, but I’m surprised that the first defendant’s (Evans) witness is not in court,’ he said.

‘My lord, we have even put her through as a witness and I am surprised that she is not here. I have been trying to reach her on phone but her line is switched off. I am praying that the court should give us a short date.’

The counsel to Evans’s five co-defendants also agreed with Falabi’s request for an adjournment.

Read Also: Smuggling pushes petrol daily consumption to 103m litres, says NNPC

Responding, Justice Hakeem Oshodi adjourned the case till June 29 for the continuation of defence.

‘All other defendants should bring their witnesses on that day so that the day will not be wasted,’ Oshodi ordered.

Evans while being led in his defence on January 22 by Mr Victor Okpara denied all allegations of kidnapping levelled against him by the Lagos State government.

He insisted that he was a legitimate businessman. He said his nickname was not Evans but was coerced into admitting being a kidnapper after the police, in a bid to make him confess, extra-judicially killed four individuals in his presence.
source: https://newstrack.oak.tv/kidnapper-absence-of-defence-witness-stalls-evans-trial/

Re: Kidnapping: Absence Of Defence Witness Stalls Evans’ Trial by siryolo4: 5:32pm On Jun 23, 2021
oaktvnigeria:
The absence of a defence witness on Wednesday stalled the ongoing trial of alleged kidnap kingpin, Chukwudimeme Onwuamadike (“Evans”) and others before an Ikeja high court.

Evans’s counsel, Mr Oyekunle Falabi, from Victor Okpara and Co Chambers informed the court that the witness, whose name was not provided, could no longer be reached via phone.

‘My lord, ordinarily we are ready to go on, but I’m surprised that the first defendant’s (Evans) witness is not in court,’ he said.

‘My lord, we have even put her through as a witness and I am surprised that she is not here. I have been trying to reach her on phone but her line is switched off. I am praying that the court should give us a short date.’

The counsel to Evans’s five co-defendants also agreed with Falabi’s request for an adjournment.

Read Also: Smuggling pushes petrol daily consumption to 103m litres, says NNPC

Responding, Justice Hakeem Oshodi adjourned the case till June 29 for the continuation of defence.

‘All other defendants should bring their witnesses on that day so that the day will not be wasted,’ Oshodi ordered.

Evans while being led in his defence on January 22 by Mr Victor Okpara denied all allegations of kidnapping levelled against him by the Lagos State government.

He insisted that he was a legitimate businessman. He said his nickname was not Evans but was coerced into admitting being a kidnapper after the police, in a bid to make him confess, extra-judicially killed four individuals in his presence.
source: https://newstrack.oak.tv/kidnapper-absence-of-defence-witness-stalls-evans-trial/

This case still on?

(1) (Reply)

Types Of Fraud And Scams And Tips For Protecting Yourself / Pupils Seen Reciting 36 States And Capital As Soldiers Walk Them To School (vide / Open Grazing: Firearm Bearer Herders Risk 21years Jail Term In Lagos.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.