Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,728 members, 7,816,992 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:25 PM

From This Side Of The Atlantic. - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / From This Side Of The Atlantic. (255 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

From This Side Of The Atlantic. by Nobody: 10:11am On Jun 24, 2021
This is an upcoming novel, I began this years back, completed and sent for printing.The printer lost the original copy and I forgot about it till now.
This new version will be more in touch with present realities in Nigeria.

Input and suggestions are wholy welcomed and will play a part in the eventual storyline.

And no, it isn't a romantic novel.
Hope the house enjoys it.

So the prologue
Re: From This Side Of The Atlantic. by Nobody: 10:12am On Jun 24, 2021
PROLOGUE

APP state headquarters, Adelu state Saturday 12 pm.

Chief obidike Adebisi, basking in euphoria steps out of his party's building with his ever present security detail. He surveys the throng of pressmen and women waiting ,to take a statement from him. In all his sixty eight years, he hasn't felt more powerful. His mind drifts off into the past - 7 years ago- on the day his vehicle was forced off the road by the convey of a state commissioner. A common state commissioner!! On that humbling afternoon, as his driver was forced to the service lane (so that the commissioners convey could pass, he realised that wealth wasnt enough. Wealth without power was nothing. Not just any power,but the absolute political type.
He had begun his quest for power the very next day,strategising his way up to the top echelon if the App (the ruling party in the country and his state). It had cost him much,but he was equal to the task- thanks to his high yielding " investments"

A commotion draws his attention back to the present as prof Edoche iya ,the 3rd runner up to the just concluded governorship App primaries , storms out of the building,pushes aside anyone before him and shouts to the press;

"I cannot accept this election. It is a mockery,a parody, an insult,a defilement and rape to democracy!!!!!!"
" When contestants manifesto is headlined by Dollars and pounds, when delegate lists becomes a roll call of an individual's family and friends, when the election panel is made up of financial pirates, How can we ever get their ?"
Having made his speech,the prof storms off without entertaining questions being thrown at him from the press.

Mr bisi Njoku (the second runner up) whom had come out of the building during the professors passionate speech also chooses to storm off with the professor- although the Chief thinks it's more of an escape seeing as the gentleman can hardly speak eloquently in any language other than his native dialect.

Folding the sleeves of his agbada, chief Obidike contemplated that it was time the attention was turned back to his person . Stepping down the steps,he walks towards the press who begun throwing questions ,

"Mr Obidike, how would you respond to the allegations just ma......."

" Is it true that you bri........"
"What hard currencies was the pr......."
"Your vie.........."

Holding up his hands for silence ,he speaks;

"Today has been a very hard day, I think I will love to have a breather .I promise to convey a press briefing soon to address your questions, but I think democracy would be a happy and willing bride (winks to laughter from the press) to witness our state primaries"
"It isn't my fault if my humility and popularity makes the delegates see me as family.Hard currencies ? We all made donations to the party before the primary elections-and it was made clear by the state party leadership that those donations will have no influence the primaries today.
Seeing as the prof also donated, why he now calls it a bribe,he alone knows. But I guess there must be excuses for failure- thank you"

With his speech done,the prof and his security detail wove there way towards his car.
Re: From This Side Of The Atlantic. by Nobody: 11:00am On Jun 24, 2021
CHAPTER ONE
obolo river bridge 6 pm

A shacman truck rumbles slowly but steadily out of a bush track adjoing to the road leading towards obolo town.The truck navigates the road and heads towards the obolo river bridge .

The men in the truck seem to relax as the bridge comes into view, but get tensed again once they see the police checkpoint.
The man on the passenger side slaps the back of the drivers head
"Idiot, I thought you said the policemen pack up once it's 5pm?"
The driver glares at his brother and says that it's the way things had always been.
"Then why are they (police) still on the bridge ?" The man on the passenger side , Ali asks

(1) (Reply)

Learn To Count Money With Your Wife. / Poem: Scandalous Grace By Soibi-varsity / Need A Professional Proofreader And Editor?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.