Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,697 members, 7,816,847 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:44 PM

How Wilder (the Edo Boy) Became Heavyweight Champ From Fighting To Save Daughte - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / How Wilder (the Edo Boy) Became Heavyweight Champ From Fighting To Save Daughte (352 Views)

"Even God Can't Help You" How Wilder Mocked God And Was Humiliated / Andy Ruiz Splashed $1m On 4 Luxury Cars During His 6-month Reign As Boxing Champ / Heavyweight Boxing. Inevitable Anthony Joshua Vs Deontay Wilder: The Build Up (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How Wilder (the Edo Boy) Became Heavyweight Champ From Fighting To Save Daughte by robosky02(m): 1:04pm On Jun 24, 2021
Horse Racin
PAPA DOES PREACH How Wilder went from son of a preacher to heavyweight champ who fights for daughter with life-threatening spina bifida

THE rise of Deontay Wilder began with just $18 (£13) in his pocket, and a burning desire to become the heavyweight champion of the world.

Wilder was in desperate need to find money for a daughter born with the life-threatening condition spina bifida and felt his only option was to pursue a career in the ring.

Deontay Wilder was born in poverty as the son of a preacher man
Deontay Wilder was born in poverty as the son of a preacher manCredit: Instagram / @bronzebomber
Wilder became a professional boxer after his daughter was born with life-threatening spina bifida
Wilder became a professional boxer after his daughter was born with life-threatening spina bifidaCredit: Getty Images - Getty
So he stepped inside the Skyy Gym in Northport, Alabama, to learn a trade he has now became a master in.
His story started in the slums of Alabama, as the son of a preacher man, where he graduated from Tuscaloosa Central High School in 2004 - dreaming of playing wide receiver for college football team, Alabama Crimson Tide.

But poor grades and the birth of his first child, Naieya in 2015 (he's had seven more since) saw his focus shift to destroying opponents in the ring.

Ahead of the sporting event of the year, as Wilder, 34, battles Tyson Fury for heavyweight supremacy at the MGM Grand Garden Arena on February 22, SunSport looks at the making of the man who once said he "wants a body" on his impeccable fighting record.

BORN IN THE AMERICAN BIBLE BELT
Wilder grew up with three sisters and one brother (Marsellos Wilder, a boxer himself) in Tuscaloosa, and was nicknamed "Sticks" because of his tall, skinny appearance.

His father Gary, a preacher, mum Deborah, and his grandmother Pastor Evelyn Loggins initially put him on a path to religion, taking him to Helping Hand Holiness Church every week.

“I had no choice but to go to church every Sunday," he told CBS Local Sports in a 2015 interview.

“Every Sunday I was in the church. That’s where I got my strong religion from.”

Even though he was gangly to look at, Wilder was still able to look after himself when he was a kid. Everyone knew to stay away from Deontay, even then.

“If you messed with Deontay, Deontay would knock you out,” he recalled. “I was known for not shying away from fights.”

Wilder was brought up religiously by mum, Deborah
Wilder was brought up religiously by mum, DeborahCredit: Instagram / @bronzebomber
The Bronze Bomber grew up with three sisters and brother Marsellos, who is also a boxer
The Bronze Bomber grew up with three sisters and brother Marsellos, who is also a boxerCredit: Instagram / @bronzebomber
When he was a kid Deontay Wilder was nicknamed Sticks by pals because of his skinny appearance
When he was a kid Deontay Wilder was nicknamed Sticks by pals because of his skinny appearanceCredit: Instagram / @bronzebomber
SPORT WAS A WAY OUT
Tuscaloosa, nicknamed Druid City, offers its residents very little hope of getting out of the poverty-stricken surroundings they've been dealt.

But those fortunate enough to excel in American football and basketball, might get the opportunity to wear the crimson, grey and white of the college team, Alabama Crimson Tide.

And that was Deontay's dream. A fine athlete, who ran track at high school, he only had one thing on his mind in regards to his future.

“My goal was to play for Alabama,” he said. “Sometimes we have plans for ourselves, but God has other plans.”

Just months after enrolling at Shelton State Community College, the 6ft 7in giant learned he was going to become a dad.

The expectant father dropped out of school, worked three jobs, including waiting tables at IHOP, Red Lobster and drove a beer truck to make ends meet.

He also poured all his efforts into one last-ditch attempt to make it in the competitive world of sport by visiting a rundown boxing gym on the other side of town.

Wilder dreamed of playing college basketball or American football
Wilder dreamed of playing college basketball or American footballCredit: Instagram / @bronzebomber
Aged 19, Wilder found out he was going to be a dad and dropped out of college
Aged 19, Wilder found out he was going to be a dad and dropped out of collegeCredit: Twitter
MEETING JAY DEAS
Since the age of 19, Wilder has had trainer Jay Deas by his side.

Deas works out of Skyy Gym in Northport, where Wilder still sculpts his impressive physique to this day.

When his future protege rocked up in a 1984 green Ford Explorer 15 years ago, Deas saw a kid with lots of ambition, but very little talent.

“That first time I had Deontay sparring, he was sparring a heavyweight,” Deas told BT Sport’s No Filter Boxing.

“He was a good, solid journeyman heavyweight who had been around the world and probably had 20 to 25 professional fights.

“Deontay was all arms and legs, heart and punch. He didn’t have that much in the way of technique – there was not a lot of time to work on it.”

However, even then Wilder had that famous jack-hammer punch that has seen 41 of his 43 opponents fall at his feet in the ring.

“Deontay caught him with a right hand and knocked the heavyweight down,” continued Deas.

“The heavyweight was on the ground and had a big smile on his face. He gets up, smiles at me and says ‘whatever you do, keep him!’”

Wilder walked into Jay Deas' Skyy Gym when he was a teenager
Wilder walked into Jay Deas' Skyy Gym when he was a teenagerCredit: Instagram
Deas saw raw potential in Wilder, acknowledging his power from his first sparring session
Deas saw raw potential in Wilder, acknowledging his power from his first sparring sessionCredit: Getty - Contributor
Deas recalled how Wilder knocked out a heavyweight boxer on his first sparring session at the Skyy Gym
Deas recalled how Wilder knocked out a heavyweight boxer on his first sparring session at the Skyy GymCredit: Getty - Contributor

FIGHTING FOR NAIEYA
As he begun his epic journey, Wilder made an extraordinary pledge to his daughter, Naieya.

Naieya was born in 2005 with spina bifida, a birth defect that occurs when the spine and spinal cord don't form properly.

Faced with exorbitant medical bills, Wilder was forced to step in the ring and fight his way out of financial ruin for her sake - while fighting a depression that left him contemplating taking his own life.

"I was just a guy in college, was on the basketball team," he told The Sun Online.

"I’d do it — in terms of getting into boxing — all over if I had to for my daughter. She’s the one that got me into boxing.

When Wilder's first daughter Naieya was born, he made an extraordinary pledge to turn pro
When Wilder's first daughter Naieya was born, he made an extraordinary pledge to turn proCredit: Instagram / @bronzebomber
Naieya was born with spina bifida, and Wilder needed to make it in boxing to pay for her medical bills
Naieya was born with spina bifida, and Wilder needed to make it in boxing to pay for her medical billsCredit: Showtime
Wilder promised Naieya he was going to be heavyweight champion of the world
Wilder promised Naieya he was going to be heavyweight champion of the worldCredit: @Deontay Wilder// twitter
LATEST BOXING NEWS

HELP IN ANDJake Paul confirms talks between brother Logan and UFC legend Anderson Silva

'WORLD-CLASS'Fury ‘did 15 rounds’ in training for Wilder as rival shows off shredded torso

EXCLUSIVE
STIFF OPPOSITIONFury's training partner explains he beats 'stiff' AJ EASIER than Wilder

OUT OF G-LOVEJulio Cesar Chavez Sr pleads with son to retire from boxing after Silva loss

'THAT'S DADS'Fury fears dad's 'theory' that Wilder bout is 'fixed' could be real

EXCLUSIVE
TRASH TALKTommy Fury backed to KO 'trash' Jake Paul in 4 rounds by boxer who sparred BOTH

TRAINING DAYTyson Fury adds ex-world champ Joseph Parker to Deontay Wilder fight camp

SWEET USYKFury and Wilder ‘disagree’ on Usyk threat to AJ as heavyweight prepares for bout
"I was willing to do whatever it took to take care of my child.

"I promised her that daddy will be a world champion one day and I’ll be able to support her.

"I made sure I could deliver that promise. She inspired me to change my profession."

Three years later Wilder won the bronze medal at the Olympics in Beijing.

Seven years after that he beat Bermane Stiverne for the WBC heavyweight title.

Wilder has held the WBC heavyweight title since 2015.before losing to Tyson Fury

He is undefeated through 43 professional fights with only the famous draw against Tyson Fury in December 2018 and the lost to Tyson Fury preventing him from having a perfect record.

Lalasticlala mynd44
https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/10940451/deontay-wilder-dad-daughter-spina-bifida/

Re: How Wilder (the Edo Boy) Became Heavyweight Champ From Fighting To Save Daughte by robosky02(m): 1:36pm On Jun 24, 2021
Edo boy

(1) (Reply)

BREAKING: Lionel Messi Breaks Down In Tears, Speaks On PSG Moves / Lionel Messi To Become Psg's Highest-paid Player After Taxes / Father Mbaka Declared Support For Lionel Messi After Joining PSG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.