Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,161 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:10 AM

UEFA Abolishes Away Goals Rule As Major Champions League & Europa League Change - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / UEFA Abolishes Away Goals Rule As Major Champions League & Europa League Change (35621 Views)

Premier League Change Rule In Club For 2020 To 2021 Session / Uefa To Scrap Away Goals Rule In European Competition After 56 Years. / Coronavirus: All Champions league, Europa league matches postponed indefinitely (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UEFA Abolishes Away Goals Rule As Major Champions League & Europa League Change by Classickj(m): 5:34pm On Jun 24, 2021
Fahdiga1:
This is a welcome development
Welcome development as how
Re: UEFA Abolishes Away Goals Rule As Major Champions League & Europa League Change by Silentgroper(m): 5:40pm On Jun 24, 2021
Patrioticman007:

Its like giving Goliath 9 lives to defeat David, due to the long extra time 30mins.
They need to even ban penalties from the game also, for it pure luck over technicalities.
That happens, then d end of football occurs.
Re: UEFA Abolishes Away Goals Rule As Major Champions League & Europa League Change by uniqueboi1(m): 5:40pm On Jun 24, 2021
Them dn remove the fun of the champions league na. So na penalty be the ultimate decider. Make European Super League come back joor. Uefa no serious.
Re: UEFA Abolishes Away Goals Rule As Major Champions League & Europa League Change by uniqueboi1(m): 5:42pm On Jun 24, 2021
Patrioticman007:

Its like giving Goliath 9 lives to defeat David, due to the long extra time 30mins.
They need to even ban penalties from the game also, for it pure luck over technicalities.

To me the best thing would be to scrap the away goal only if it enters extra time. Why kill the beautiful game It's a wrong move.
Re: UEFA Abolishes Away Goals Rule As Major Champions League & Europa League Change by pat077: 5:49pm On Jun 24, 2021
Why change the rules. This is what makes the competition special.
Re: UEFA Abolishes Away Goals Rule As Major Champions League & Europa League Change by Hahjascho(m): 5:51pm On Jun 24, 2021
The only thing I see is that, it now gives football game another form of free expression from both sides.

No team now needs to play defensively just because of one silly away goal.

The fate of the game needs not be decided from first leg.

2 Likes

Re: UEFA Abolishes Away Goals Rule As Major Champions League & Europa League Change by wonderr(m): 5:51pm On Jun 24, 2021
Apart from stopping attacking football some people find it hard to calculate away goals every season
Re: UEFA Abolishes Away Goals Rule As Major Champions League & Europa League Change by niyidenrele: 5:55pm On Jun 24, 2021
wunmi590:
angry

Majority of the people applauding UEFA don't know that, that's the beauty of the game...

It also gives the smaller teams sense of belonging, but with this, believe me only the big four clubs will always enjoying this abolishment...

They are just trying to please the breaking away teams who felt cheated and want to begin the Super League
Re: UEFA Abolishes Away Goals Rule As Major Champions League & Europa League Change by muykem: 5:59pm On Jun 24, 2021
It will change nothing. The lower team will still defend to get draw in away and try to score one goal at home. It will even worse because away team will not be keen for away goal again.

4 Likes

Re: UEFA Abolishes Away Goals Rule As Major Champions League & Europa League Change by richmanrichard: 6:04pm On Jun 24, 2021
triple996:
Diz thing go affect Bayern Munich and bacelona pass
your head dey there. Na this away goal barca take rob chelsea in 2009. This is a good news to epl teams n bad news to spainish leaque n bayern munchen
Re: UEFA Abolishes Away Goals Rule As Major Champions League & Europa League Change by justli: 6:05pm On Jun 24, 2021
Dskillful:
This is very good... Chelsea fans will not like this

Last time we checked the rule has favored Madrid and barca more than any other team

4 Likes

Re: UEFA Abolishes Away Goals Rule As Major Champions League & Europa League Change by justli: 6:06pm On Jun 24, 2021
Ayoleeboy007:
How will I explain to my grandchildren that before you could win, draw and still lose a champions league match. undecided

Not true. You cannot win and draw and still get eliminated

3 Likes

Re: UEFA Abolishes Away Goals Rule As Major Champions League & Europa League Change by Bmaster(m): 6:06pm On Jun 24, 2021
Ok

But all in all,it still didn't affect bet9ja 90 minutes rule.

We move
Re: UEFA Abolishes Away Goals Rule As Major Champions League & Europa League Change by blaise26abj(m): 6:08pm On Jun 24, 2021
There will always be those that are for and those against this abolishment of away goal rule depending on how it has favoured or destroyed your team.

However , the idea that it is discouraging attacking football is lame . When you are away , you attack so you can have away goal while the home team defends well to prevent away goal and vice versa .That helps develop both defensive and attacking football. With this , attention will be focused solely on attacking . Whoever can score the most wins . Prepare to see scorelines like 9-7
Re: UEFA Abolishes Away Goals Rule As Major Champions League & Europa League Change by Sid44: 6:10pm On Jun 24, 2021
The sheer joy of watchin smaller teams knockin out bigger teams on away goals will be lost. That egde of seat feelin wen underdogs take the lead forcin top teams to camp at the oppositn box, tryin to unlock the onion style defending... (sigh)
Re: UEFA Abolishes Away Goals Rule As Major Champions League & Europa League Change by memory123(m): 6:13pm On Jun 24, 2021
Nice idea...clubs like Chelsea will manage to score you one goal and then go back to play 11 men defence at their home. Is that football?
Re: UEFA Abolishes Away Goals Rule As Major Champions League & Europa League Change by Jeffy1206(m): 6:23pm On Jun 24, 2021
Many quoting Chelsea, make I remind you that they won the champions league not by away goal rules but clean win! So shut d m**fuk*up undecided

3 Likes

Re: UEFA Abolishes Away Goals Rule As Major Champions League & Europa League Change by lifenija: 6:26pm On Jun 24, 2021
Emegodess:

Good afternoon Fellow Nairalanders please I'm begging you guys to come to my aid... Since morning I never see food chop. Life hard here with me. I've been owed for months at work. Please I'll appreciate anything ejoor

0427083584 GTbank
since on d 20th wen u start to post this rubbish u never see food chop shey? from education next u need money to tranport for job interviews stop being foolish
Re: UEFA Abolishes Away Goals Rule As Major Champions League & Europa League Change by Mustiboy(m): 6:31pm On Jun 24, 2021
This is not good for football.

There's a reason why the rule was established in the first place. Teams then, after winning the first leg, go to play their return match with 7 defenders and 3 forwards, thereby making matches frustrating to watch with lack of goals.

But with the away goal rule, there is so much to play for.
Re: UEFA Abolishes Away Goals Rule As Major Champions League & Europa League Change by iamoyindamola(m): 6:32pm On Jun 24, 2021
kenzysmith:
away goals make it more interesting don't u seec how boring the carabo cup his cause no away goals anything wey they England na uefa wan copy this new uefa president is killing football swears
Away goals is the reason clubs like atlectico park bus, it's bad
There's no logic behind away goals
Re: UEFA Abolishes Away Goals Rule As Major Champions League & Europa League Change by Harrynight(m): 6:35pm On Jun 24, 2021
What happen if Liverpool Lose 1-2 at Barcelona
And win 1-0 at Anfield
Re: UEFA Abolishes Away Goals Rule As Major Champions League & Europa League Change by Lamasta(m): 6:42pm On Jun 24, 2021
Its a welcome development
Re: UEFA Abolishes Away Goals Rule As Major Champions League & Europa League Change by Blesyn22(m): 7:01pm On Jun 24, 2021
Good one
Re: UEFA Abolishes Away Goals Rule As Major Champions League & Europa League Change by Gjmff: 7:15pm On Jun 24, 2021
Oh
Re: UEFA Abolishes Away Goals Rule As Major Champions League & Europa League Change by Adakintroy: 7:15pm On Jun 24, 2021
This will directly affect teams like athlectic madrid that can reach finals without winning a single game. Play you 1_1 away ..0_0 home

1 Like

Re: UEFA Abolishes Away Goals Rule As Major Champions League & Europa League Change by rhektor(m): 7:29pm On Jun 24, 2021
triple996:
Diz thing go affect Bayern Munich and bacelona pass

Away goal rule has affected Barcelona many times.
Re: UEFA Abolishes Away Goals Rule As Major Champions League & Europa League Change by GreatAchiever1: 7:33pm On Jun 24, 2021
panpan:
As stated in the report, one particular issue of the away goals rule is in applying the rule during extra time. This gives the away team in the second leg an unfair advantage.
If the away goals rule is reinstated at a later date, it should not apply to extra time.

Another rule that should be abolished is the use of the head-to-head rule immediately after points. This does not encourage goal scoring.
Goal difference, then number of goals scored, should come before the head-to-head rule.

I disagree with the bolded especially with the league tournament.
Na me and you dey share points so let us decide who go top who by using our head to head battle not because u score one team 7-0 and me score lower, u go con use that one top me?lai lai I no gree, head to head sounds fair.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

John Terry Makes His Aston Villa Debut As He Plays In Pre-Season Friendly / Sunday Dare Walks Out On Pinnick, Dikko / AFCON: Moment Kanu Nwankwo & Kashim Shettima Celebrated With Super Eagles(Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.