Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,959 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:01 AM

What Stopping You From Building Your Own Company? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / What Stopping You From Building Your Own Company? (667 Views)

AI Chatbot Says It's Own Company Is Useless / Get Your Very Own Company Website For A Negotiable Price / If You Are Interested In Building Your Own Entertainment, news website click (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Stopping You From Building Your Own Company? by Melanin07(m): 4:11pm On Jun 24, 2021
We have great Talent here in Africa, with many of our developers working with big companies in Africa and overseas.

But we have few startups here in Nigeria, so what stopping many from building their own companies?

Is it because of only lack of capital or interest or what?
Re: What Stopping You From Building Your Own Company? by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:21pm On Jun 24, 2021
Skillset. Coding is just like any other profession. You really need to hone your skillset to be able to build out any software product for users.

1 Like

Re: What Stopping You From Building Your Own Company? by Nobody: 4:57pm On Jun 25, 2021
tensazangetsu20:
Skillset. Coding is just like any other profession. You really need to hone your skillset to be able to build out any software product for users.

What are these skill set?
Re: What Stopping You From Building Your Own Company? by Nobody: 7:11am On Jun 26, 2021
Building a business is still the same. I created a thread about it, and I am still discussing this issue. But programmers have started attacking me. Lol. Anyway, the truth is bitter. They are programmers and only good for coding. They dont have business sense so they fail. And they will always fail. It is why they will keep working for people with business brains. The requirements are:

1. Innovation Intuitive ability
2. Able to raise capital (tell your story to attract investors).
3a. Use Capital Wisely. Give a programmer capital, he will even waste it. Give him 1 billion naira, he will develop a sophisticated app that no one will ever use. Lol. And he will waste money on promoting what people do not need.
3b. Drive home income. Your sales must be more than your expenses. Programmers can't sell. They dont know how to market. And to sell, what the customers need must be made. Programmers just build what they think customers need, and no one patronizes them. Coding is not needed to know what is going to sell. You need a business brain.

At most, programmers will grow to become Chief Technology Oficer (CTO), and if smart, can become a cofounder. But these ones in Nigeria think they have the business brain too. Lol. Las Las...they will end up in Fiverr for the rest of their lives. If lucky, they will get into one of the good companies and work in the design department. May 0.5% of them will actually build a good business. They are meant to work for someone with business intuitive brain.

But they can learn the skill if they are humble and build businesses. This is what I am presently discussing in my thread.

If you know a failed programmer, or a struggling one, just send me his previous work, and I will show you why he is not making it. They always do what has been done. They aren't innovative. Someone needs to tell them what to do and write. They are like learners who must be guided. They are masters who cannot be left alone. This is the way Steve Jobs guided and led his main guy - Woz. Woz is good, but wouldn't be great if not for Steve Jobs.

Let these people get it into their brains that they must start learning business intuitive skills if they want to build their own businesses. But no, they will always bury their heads in the corner of their room talking to their computers alone grin Na that person go build a business? Business is relating with people.

Lastly, they have terrible attitudes in Nigeria. When you work with them, you will know. They want to work only for big companies but the opportunities in those companies cannot go round them all. The rest who do not work in these big companies are bittered. They will charge small companies like charging already established companies (what they cannot even pay themselves), and at the end still do rubbish. You will start running after them to correct errors after they have been paid. They dont honor contracts at all. See eh! They have terrible attitude.

They will be alright. No one is taking them serious again. Business guys are looking at partnering with indians online. This is the way forward. But I just want to put my ideas on NL to help new guys so they dont take the attributes of these ones who have failed. I am going to have no mercy on them with my thread..I will say the truth as it is. He who has hear should ear. As far as I am concerned, it will take the grace of God for me to partner with anyone one of them cos their attitude is terrible.

If you think I am exagerating or too hard , try 20 of them. You will meet same attitude. But just port to using indians, and you will see what I am saying. Forget oooo. They will never make it unless they change.

Goodluck!

2 Likes

Re: What Stopping You From Building Your Own Company? by hardebayho(m): 9:32am On Jun 26, 2021
PeaceJoyLove:
Building a business is still the same. I created a thread about it, and I am still discussing this issue. But programmers have started attacking me. Lol. Anyway, the truth is bitter. They are programmers and only good for coding. They dont have business sense so they fail. And they will always fail. It is why they will keep working for people with business brains. The requirements are:

3a. Use Capital Wisely. Give a programmer capital, he will even waste it. Give him 1 billion naira, he will develop a sophisticated app that no one will ever use. Lol. And he will waste money on promoting what people do not need. I have seen
3b. Drive home income. Your sales must be more than your expenses. Programmers canog sell. They dont know how to market. And to sell, what the customers need must be made. Programmers just build what they think customers need, and no one patronizes them. Coding is not needed to know what is going to sell. You need a business brain.

At most, programmers will grow to become Chief Technology Oficer (CTO), and if smart, can become a cofounder. But these ones in Nigeria think they have the business brain too. Lol. Las Las...they will end up in Fiverr for the rest of their lives. If lucky, they will get into one of the good companies and work in the design department. May 0.5% of them will actually build a good business. They are meant to work for someone with business intuitive brain.

But they can learn the skill if they are humble and build businesses. This is what I am presently discussing in my thread.

If you know a failed programmer, or a struggling one, just send me his previous work, and I will show you why he is not making it. They always do what has been done. They arent innovative. Someone needs to tell them what to do and write. They are like learners who must be guided. They are masters who cannot be left alone. This is the way Steve Jobs guided and led his main guy - Woz. Woz is good, but wouldn't be great if not for Steve Jobs.

Let these people get it into their brains that they must start learning business intuitive skills if they want to build their own businesses. But no, they will always bury their heads in the corner of their room talking to their computers alone grin Na that person go build a business? Business is relating with people.

Lastly, they have terrible attitudes in Nigeria. When you work with them, you will know. They want to work only for big companies but the opportunities in those companies cannot go round them all. The rest who do not work in these big companies are bittered. They will charge small companies like charging an already established companies (what they cannot even pay themselves).m, and at the end still do rubbish. You will start running after them to correct errors after they have been paid. They dont honor contracts at all. See eh! They have terrible attitude.

They will be alright. No one is taking them serious again. Business guys are looking at partnering with indians online. This is the way forward. But I just want to put my ideas on NL to help new guys so they dont take the attributes of these ones who have failed. I am going to have no mercy on them with my thread..I will say the truth as it is. He who has hear should ear. As far as I am concerned, it will take the grace of God for me to partner with anyone one of them cos their attitude is terrible.

If you think I am exagerating or too hard , try 20 of them. You will meet same attitude. But just port to using indians, and you will see what I am saying. Forget oooo. They will never make it unless they change.

Goodluck!

Lemme say this. First of all, thank you for these words... Most of these things hold true in most cases (at least for me) and they're things I believe I need to keep me in line. Once again, thank you. I do not have any excuses to make and no objections... You've spoken what I believe is true, however harsh they may be

1 Like

Re: What Stopping You From Building Your Own Company? by nnamdiosu(m): 6:02pm On Jun 27, 2021
PeaceJoyLove:

3a. Use Capital Wisely. Give a programmer capital, he will even waste it. Give him 1 billion naira, he will develop a sophisticated app that no one will ever use. Lol. And he will waste money on promoting what people do not need.
3b. Drive home income. Your sales must be more than your expenses. Programmers can't sell. They dont know how to market. And to sell, what the customers need must be made. Programmers just build what they think customers need, and no one patronizes them. Coding is not needed to know what is going to sell. You need a business brain.

If you know a failed programmer, or a struggling one, just send me his previous work, and I will show you why he is not making it. They always do what has been done. They aren't innovative. Someone needs to tell them what to do and write. They are like learners who must be guided. They are masters who cannot be left alone. This is the way Steve Jobs guided and led his main guy - Woz. Woz is good, but wouldn't be great if not for Steve Jobs.

Lastly, they have terrible attitudes in Nigeria. When you work with them, you will know. They want to work only for big companies but the opportunities in those companies cannot go round them all. The rest who do not work in these big companies are bittered. They will charge small companies like charging already established companies (what they cannot even pay themselves), and at the end still do rubbish. You will start running after them to correct errors after they have been paid. They dont honor contracts at all. See eh! They have terrible attitude.

Goodluck!

100 percent true
Re: What Stopping You From Building Your Own Company? by talk2hb1(m): 11:27pm On Jun 27, 2021
Melanin07:
We have great Talent here in Africa, with many of our developers working with big companies in Africa and overseas.

But we have few startups here in Nigeria, so what stopping many from building their own companies?

Is it because of only lack of capital or interest or what?
Maybe Money
Re: What Stopping You From Building Your Own Company? by LikeAking: 12:51am On Jun 29, 2021
PeaceJoyLove:

Goodluck!

E no easy for we Nigerians.

At all.

Setting up a succesful busines is very deep.

Village people will not allow you.

Thats the problem most people face.

Secondly the Nigerian attitude thing is another problem.

Every thing na attitude.

(1) (Reply)

Flutter Guides For Beginners / I Need Help Using Notepad++ / Programmers In D Houze.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.