Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,858 members, 7,813,931 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:49 PM

Should Lintel Go Round Building Or Just At Windows And Doors ? - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Should Lintel Go Round Building Or Just At Windows And Doors ? (3033 Views)

Guide To Obtaining Building Or Planning Permit In Lagos State / A Building Consisting Of 8units Of Miniflat Just At Roofing Stage For Sale / Amen Estate Phase 2, Where Luxury Meet Luxury Just At Eleko Road With Cof O (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Lintel Go Round Building Or Just At Windows And Doors ? by capsogiga(m): 11:14am On Jun 26, 2021
GOOD DAY.
I AM CURRENTLY BUILDING A 5 BEDROOM BUNGALOW AND I AM ABOUT TO DO LINTEL. I HAVE CONTRASTING OPINIONS FROM TWO DIFFERENT ENGINEERS.

ENGINEER A- NO NEED FOR LINTEL TO GO ROUND THE BUILDING, JUST AT WINDOWS AND DOORS ONLY. YOU DID SOLID FOUNDATION AND USED 9 INCH BLOCKS ALL THROUGH. WE WILL DO ROOF BEAM ROUND THE WHOLE HOUSE (EXTERNAL WALLS ONLY) AT PARAPET AND THERE WONT BE CRACKS IN THE FUTURE.

ENGINEER B- DO LINTEL ROUND THE WHOLE BUILDING INCLUDING INTERNAL WALLS. YOU WILL ALSO DO ROOM BEAM ROUND WHOLE HOUSE AT PARAPET TO AVOID CRACKS IN THE FUTURE.

PLEASE WHAT DO I DO ? BUILDING IS A BUNGALOW AND HAS PILLARS.
Re: Should Lintel Go Round Building Or Just At Windows And Doors ? by NwaAmaikpe: 11:15am On Jun 26, 2021
shocked

Technically, a lintel is supposed to go round the structure because it serves as a 'chain'.
It also comes into play in deflecting and absorbing Shear and tensile stresses in the building.

A right-round lintel becomes very important in case of future modifications but the economy has made people cut corners to eliminate unnecessary cost, that's why a few people put lintels only around load bearing openings like windows and doors.

Engineer A is apparently LAUTECH trained, whose pity for your pocket has compromised his professional judgement.

However, Engineer A and Engineer B have failed to tell you that you do not actually need a roof beam for a mere parapet.
But you are good with either of their advices, only that you don't have the luxury of seemlessly integrating modifications to it if you choose the former.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should Lintel Go Round Building Or Just At Windows And Doors ? by capsogiga(m): 11:48am On Jun 26, 2021
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Technically a lintel is supposed to go round the structure because it serves as a 'chain'.

Thanks sir. So what happens if it does not ? Also considering we are doing roof beam round the whole house ?
Re: Should Lintel Go Round Building Or Just At Windows And Doors ? by capsogiga(m): 12:21pm On Jun 26, 2021
ENGINEER B SAID LINTEL SHOULD BE CHAINED AND GO ROUND THE BUILDING
Re: Should Lintel Go Round Building Or Just At Windows And Doors ? by Nobody: 12:24pm On Jun 26, 2021
capsogiga:
GOOD DAY.
I AM CURRENTLY BUILDING A 5 BEDROOM BUNGALOW AND I AM ABOUT TO DO LINTEL. I HAVE CONTRASTING OPINIONS FROM TWO DIFFERENT ENGINEERS.

ENGINEER A- NO NEED FOR LINTEL TO GO ROUND THE BUILDING, JUST AT WINDOWS AND DOORS ONLY. YOU DID SOLID FOUNDATION AND USED 9 INCH BLOCKS ALL THROUGH. WE WILL DO ROOF BEAM ROUND THE WHOLE HOUSE (EXTERNAL WALLS ONLY) AT PARAPET AND THERE WONT BE CRACKS IN THE FUTURE.

ENGINEER B- DO LINTEL ROUND THE WHOLE BUILDING INCLUDING INTERNAL WALLS. YOU WILL ALSO DO ROOM BEAM ROUND WHOLE HOUSE AT PARAPET TO AVOID CRACKS IN THE FUTURE.

The answer is very obvious buddy, you don't even need to be an expert to know this.

Why would someone do chain-lintel round a building and still do another roof beam round it again? And yet it's just a bungalow?
Even if it's a duplex or storey building, since there would be round-beam beneath the slab/decking eventually, only a drunk would do chain-lintel round again.
Lintel is only used to bear wall loads coming on top of the window/door frame area or openings, nothing more.
Assuming it's a building with high-level windows, there won't be need for any lintel, because the slab beam would also serve as the lintel.
The fake Engineer even told you to do chain-lintel on internal walls too. Lol. That's ridiculously hilarious.
He should have even told you to use concrete to build all the house instead of blocks.
Run from that Engineer.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should Lintel Go Round Building Or Just At Windows And Doors ? by capsogiga(m): 1:11pm On Jun 26, 2021
Gratefulheart1:

The answer is very obvious buddy, you don't even need to be an expert to know this.

Why would someone do chain-lintel round a building and still do another roof beam round it again? And yet it's just a bungalow?
Even if it's a duplex or storey building, since there would be round-beam beneath the slab/decking eventually, only a drunk would do chain-lintel round again.
Lintel is only used to bear wall loads coming on top of the window/door frame area or openings, nothing more.
Assuming it's a building with high-level windows, there won't be need for any lintel, because the slab beam would also serve as the lintel.
The fake Engineer even told you to do chain-lintel on internal walls too. Lol. That's ridiculously hilarious.
He should have even told you to use concrete to build all the house instead of blocks.
Run from that Engineer.

THANK YOU SIR. GOD BLESS YOU SIR. BUT SIR, ARE YOU A STRUCTURAL ENGINEER?

2 Likes

Re: Should Lintel Go Round Building Or Just At Windows And Doors ? by iamyemiakins(m): 1:12pm On Jun 26, 2021
Gratefulheart1:

Run from that Engineer.
That's what I think too

1 Like

Re: Should Lintel Go Round Building Or Just At Windows And Doors ? by Nobody: 2:17pm On Jun 26, 2021
capsogiga:

THANK YOU SIR. GOD BLESS YOU SIR. BUT SIR, ARE YOU A STRUCTURAL ENGINEER?

You're welcome.
I'm not a structural engineer.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should Lintel Go Round Building Or Just At Windows And Doors ? by capsogiga(m): 2:45pm On Jun 26, 2021
Gratefulheart1:

You're welcome.
I'm not a structural engineer.
THANK YOU SIR. GOD BLESS YOU

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should Lintel Go Round Building Or Just At Windows And Doors ? by bixton(m): 2:46pm On Jun 26, 2021
capsogiga:
GOOD DAY.
I AM CURRENTLY BUILDING A 5 BEDROOM BUNGALOW.

I had to read all comments though.
It's best you go for engineer b advice. And the advantages are numerous.
My question to you is what are your constraints not to go with engineer b advice and what would you prefer?
Re: Should Lintel Go Round Building Or Just At Windows And Doors ? by Nobody: 3:05pm On Jun 26, 2021
bixton:

My question to you is what are your constraints not to go with engineer b advice and what would you prefer?

Don't mislead the OP.
Type the word 'Lintel' in Google search and see the conventional way it's done in different parts of the world where real building construction standards are adhered to.
In fact, a Lintel wouldn't have existed in construction assuming it were possible to place your walls directly on the window/opening voids.
You claimed the advantages of round Lintels are numerous? Kindly list some of them here.

Sometimes when I open a thread, I pity those OP who come to Nairaland to seek advice, most people just read the first comment and start following it like sheeps, further misleading the OP who needs help.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should Lintel Go Round Building Or Just At Windows And Doors ? by capsogiga(m): 3:38pm On Jun 26, 2021
bixton:

THANKS FOR YOUR CONTRIBUTION SIR.
MY 'CONSTRAINT' IS REASONABLENESS ! IF THERE IS GOOD REASON TO DO IT, THEN I WILL SURELY DO IT. OTHERWISE WHY DO IT AND WASTE MONEY?
Re: Should Lintel Go Round Building Or Just At Windows And Doors ? by Nobody: 3:47pm On Jun 26, 2021
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked
Technically, a lintel is supposed to go round the structure because it serves as a 'chain'.
It also comes into play in deflecting and absorbing Shear and tensile stresses in the building.
But you are good with either of their advices, only that you don't have the luxury of seemlessly integrating modifications to it if you choose the former.

No. This habit is becoming a norm on Nairaland but it's very wrong. When someone in a dilemma comes to seek advice but people who don't have the right knowledge about the whole thing start pouring in false and misleading advice on the thread. It's not necessary to say something if you don't have something to say.
In all you said, it's just like hiding ignorance under the camouflage of big vocabularies.

This is just a combination of false, incoherence of big grammars because eventually it's false and not making any sense.
For your information, Lintel is not really a structural member as such, that is why in big skyscrapers framed structure/skeletons, you only see beams and columns. You won't see any chain-lintel anywhere inbetween.

A right-round lintel becomes very important in case of future modifications.
This is also wrong.
If you put unnecessary concrete in your building, you're only posing more future problems in case, you want to modify or renovate.
Maybe expansion joints are good for future modifications by dividing the building into modules.

People cut corners to eliminate unnecessary cost, that's why a few people put lintels only around load bearing openings like windows and doors.
Engineer A is apparently LAUTECH trained, whose pity for your pocket has compromised his professional judgement.
Funny enough this is the direct opposite of the truth. Chain-lintel is half-baked professional practice.
Check the attached pictures below, are the foreign pictures below also done by locally trained Engineers like you falsely claimed? In most standard, foreign constructions like the pictures below, it's rare to see a chain-lintel and also a round beam again. Except the lintel is simultaneously serving as the beam at subsequent floor level.
Chain lintel is a local unprofessional practice, probably popularized by novices and quarks like you posing as Engineer to unsuspecting clients.

However, Engineer A and Engineer B have failed to tell you that you do not actually need a roof beam for a mere parapet.
Lol, your whole post is a structural disaster.
So you want a wall to span from the foundation to parapet level without roof beam inbetween?
Sometimes, it's just better to keep quiet instead of making a great display of ignorance.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should Lintel Go Round Building Or Just At Windows And Doors ? by bixton(m): 3:50pm On Jun 26, 2021
capsogiga:

MY 'CONSTRAINT' IS REASONABLENESS ! IF THERE IS GOOD REASON TO DO IT, THEN I WILL SURELY DO IT. OTHERWISE WHY DO IT AND WASTE MONEY?

Apologies but before I comment are you still going to do a parapet(concrete fascia) on the build?
Re: Should Lintel Go Round Building Or Just At Windows And Doors ? by Nobody: 3:51pm On Jun 26, 2021
capsogiga:

Don't mind Nairalanders, follow them at your own risk. Some of them can't think independently as a person, their comments/judgments are based on what they read on the first comment, or the post that got more likes in the thread or they just look for a popular moniker in the thread and start commenting according to his/her post.
Re: Should Lintel Go Round Building Or Just At Windows And Doors ? by capsogiga(m): 3:58pm On Jun 26, 2021
bixton:

Apologies but before I comment are you still going to do a parapet(concrete fascia) on the build?
Thank you sir.
Yes sir. I am doing parapet with beam.
Re: Should Lintel Go Round Building Or Just At Windows And Doors ? by bixton(m): 4:16pm On Jun 26, 2021
Gratefulheart1:

Don't mislead the OP.
Type the word 'Lintel' in Google search and see the conventional way it's done in different parts of the world where real building construction standards are adhered to.
In fact, a Lintel wouldn't have existed in construction assuming it were possible to place your walls directly on the window/opening voids.
You claimed the advantages of round Lintels are numerous? Kindly list some of them here.

Sometimes when I open a thread, I pity those OP who come to Nairaland to seek advice, most people just read the first comment and start following it like sheeps, further misleading the OP who needs help.

As an engineer in the built environment one of my purpose is to advice my clients on what's obtainable. The client can choose to take or reject it. In this environment one considers what's best given the time. If there are constraints then one can do the alternative.
Re: Should Lintel Go Round Building Or Just At Windows And Doors ? by Nobody: 4:23pm On Jun 26, 2021
bixton:

As an engineer in the built environment one of my purpose is to advice my clients on what's obtainable. The client can choose to take or reject it. In this environment one considers what's best given the time. If there are constraints then one can do the alternative.

Alright sir, but like you claimed, you're yet to list some of the numerous advantages of having a chain lintel round, including internal walls.
And there after having another roof beam round.
Re: Should Lintel Go Round Building Or Just At Windows And Doors ? by bixton(m): 4:38pm On Jun 26, 2021
capsogiga:

Thank you sir.
Yes sir. I am doing parapet with beam.

A parapet will always come with a beam because it's the beam that holds the parapet in place. If there are columns then it's just to act as supports to reduce the transfered load.

One of the benefits of doing full chained lintel internally and externally is that it bonds the build together.
In the event that cracks occur in the build in future which may arise due to certain reasons the placement of the lintel eliminates it from crossing beyond that point.
Also, it's easier to do modification on the build without fear if it requires the breaking of some sections of the wall.

As an engineer I have found myself in such situations with certain clients and what we do agree on to do is rectangular(4) external while triangular(3) internal for lintels.
Thanks.
Re: Should Lintel Go Round Building Or Just At Windows And Doors ? by capsogiga(m): 4:55pm On Jun 26, 2021
bixton:

WHAT ARE THE NUMEROUS ADVANTAGES OF FULL ROUND CHAIN LINTEL?
Re: Should Lintel Go Round Building Or Just At Windows And Doors ? by bixton(m): 4:57pm On Jun 26, 2021
Gratefulheart1:

Alright sir, but like you claimed, you're yet to list some of the numerous advantages of having a chain lintel round, including internal walls.
And there after having another roof beam round.

The Op says he will do a parapet(concrete fascia). Every parapet(concreted fascia) is connected/linked to a beam. It's that beam that holds the parapet in place because it's placed at an inclined position.

In the instance where the client does not need a parapet, I do not insist to do a roof beam where I already have a full chained lintel(internal and external).

But there are certain jobs that all the above is requested as part of the working schedule. By so it's paramount the schedule is followed completely to avoid penalty or withdrawal of contract by the client.

1 Like

Re: Should Lintel Go Round Building Or Just At Windows And Doors ? by capsogiga(m): 5:15pm On Jun 26, 2021
bixton:

The Op says he will do a parapet(concrete fascia). Every parapet(concreted fascia) is connected/linked to a beam. It's that beam that holds the parapet in place because it's placed at an inclined position.

In the instance where the client does not need a parapet, I do not insist to do a roof beam where I already have a full chained lintel(internal and external).

But there are certain jobs that all the above is requested as part of the working schedule. By so it's paramount the schedule is followed completely to avoid penalty or withdrawal of contract by the client.

WHAT ARE THE NUMEROUS ADVANTAGES OF FULL ROUND CHAIN LINTEL SIR?
Re: Should Lintel Go Round Building Or Just At Windows And Doors ? by bixton(m): 5:17pm On Jun 26, 2021
capsogiga:

WHAT ARE THE NUMEROUS ADVANTAGES OF FULL ROUND CHAIN LINTEL SIR?

I'm very sure I've responded to that in one of my posts.
Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Should Lintel Go Round Building Or Just At Windows And Doors ? by Nobody: 5:18pm On Jun 26, 2021
bixton:

Now you sound better sir.
But it was wrong in your first initial post when you said, "It's best you go for engineer B's advice" - which is doing BOTH chain lintel (including internal walls) and also roof beam round.

Doing both chain beam and doing another roof beam round is what I'm against.
Either of the two is OK, but doing both is very wrong and very unnecessary.

Then, concrete fascia is not really a parapet as such.
Parapet is a dwarf wall and most times the roof is inside/behind it while the roof is directly on top of a concrete fascia. Concrete fascia is more of a mild cantilever. Anyway that's international standard, artisans locally use parapet to mean concrete fascia. But I understand and it's very much ok by me, so don't lets start another argument about that. Cheers.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should Lintel Go Round Building Or Just At Windows And Doors ? by paschal47(m): 10:42am On Jun 27, 2021
CC; Spider880
Re: Should Lintel Go Round Building Or Just At Windows And Doors ? by capsogiga(m): 6:00am On Jun 28, 2021
Re: Should Lintel Go Round Building Or Just At Windows And Doors ? by capsogiga(m): 9:45pm On Jul 11, 2021
THANKS

(1) (Reply)

Bishop Ozubulu Opens 5 Star Hotel In Ozubulu / Ayhomes & Gardens Situated At Igando, Before Eleko Junction 7m Per Plot / THE AMBIANCE CREEK PLOTS, BY KETU MILE 12 EXPRESSWAY IKORODU

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.